temp4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

heard a "crack" in my upper back while doing incline dumbbell press

Hello, BB.com

so today at the gym I was doing incline dumbbell presses, 70lbs. I do this exercise often enough to know how to do it properly... or so I thought. I was trying to keep my shoulders down and back during the entire duration of the exercise, but on my third set as I was coming up I heard a "CRACK" in my upper back, maybe around T3 (between the shoulder blades) accompanied by a pain, but not a sharp one. I was lifting my mid-back from the bench a bit as usual. So I immediately dropped my dumbbells and got on the inversion table and stretched and did a bunch of foam rolls. What did I do to my back? If it's a pulled muscle or a tendon I am not worried but I am worried that I herniated a disc. I would imagine a herniated disc hurts a lot more than this, though. The pain isn't sharp, but rather a bit dull.

Should I take a rest for a bit or should I go to the doctor (expensive) or what?

Thanks BB

mattf3213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by temp4 View Post
    Hello, BB.com

so today at the gym I was doing incline dumbbell presses, 70lbs. I do this exercise often enough to know how to do it properly... or so I thought. I was trying to keep my shoulders down and back during the entire duration of the exercise, but on my third set as I was coming up I heard a "CRACK" in my upper back, maybe around T3 (between the shoulder blades) accompanied by a pain, but not a sharp one. I was lifting my mid-back from the bench a bit as usual. So I immediately dropped my dumbbells and got on the inversion table and stretched and did a bunch of foam rolls. What did I do to my back? If it's a pulled muscle or a tendon I am not worried but I am worried that I herniated a disc. I would imagine a herniated disc hurts a lot more than this, though. The pain isn't sharp, but rather a bit dull.

Should I take a rest for a bit or should I go to the doctor (expensive) or what?

Thanks BB
    temp4,

Just rest it. Hard to say what it was exactly but I can tell you it's uncommon for disc issues in the thoracic spine. Good luck.

DPT

temp4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by mattf3213 View Post
    temp4,

Just rest it. Hard to say what it was exactly but I can tell you it's uncommon for disc issues in the thoracic spine. Good luck.

DPT
    Thank you for the input, that's what i was thinking. This isn't the first time I've felt pain in that specific region too. I'm thinking I pulled a muscle, tendon, or a ligament. Right now (about 18 hours after injury), My back has a dull pain and it hurts when I turn my head. No gym today.

tonytonytony30 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hello, BB.com

Thanks BB

Did you ever find out what it was, I went thru the same thing a few months ago, debating to go to the doctor literally the same workout and the same thing happened as it did to you. Please help.

Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hello, BB.com

Thanks BB
    Dont keep shoulders back and down.