iwillbecomeFIT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iwillbecomeFIT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iwillbecomeFIT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iwillbecomeFIT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iwillbecomeFIT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iwillbecomeFIT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iwillbecomeFIT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iwillbecomeFIT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iwillbecomeFIT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iwillbecomeFIT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iwillbecomeFIT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Need help constructing a mini gym at home in Canada!

Hi, I’m looking to build a mini gym at home. Because my garage is a little too small… I’ll have equipment’s all over the house.. for example squat rack in the garage, bench in basement, etc. What are some best prices out there for equipment’s in Canada? Are there other key equipment’s that I should consider getting? What are your thoughts on the selected bumper plates? So far the equipment’s that I have found to my likings are:

http://www.xtcfitness.ca/strength/bu...k-barbell.html

http://www.treadmillfactory.ca/xtrem...e-squat-stands

http://www.treadmillfactory.ca/best-...-olympic-bench

Feel free to recommend better equipment’s at better price as well!

Thank you!

morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Read the topic labeled "Sticky: ***READ THIS FIRST***". You scrolled past it to get to this topic.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #32 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #43 ()---() ▉---▉ Equipment Crew #50 ▉---▉

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by iwillbecomeFIT View Post
    Hi, I’m looking to build a mini gym at home. Because my garage is a little too small… I’ll have equipment’s all over the house.. for example squat rack in the garage, bench in basement, etc. What are some best prices out there for equipment’s in Canada? Are there other key equipment’s that I should consider getting? What are your thoughts on the selected bumper plates? So far the equipment’s that I have found to my likings are:

http://www.treadmillfactory.ca/xtrem...e-squat-stands

http://www.treadmillfactory.ca/best-...-olympic-bench

Feel free to recommend better equipment’s at better price as well!

Thank you!
    If you get a power rack, you can do squats and benches in the same cage. Maybe overhead presses too.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.â€
    -Voltaire

iwillbecomeFIT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iwillbecomeFIT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iwillbecomeFIT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iwillbecomeFIT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iwillbecomeFIT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iwillbecomeFIT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iwillbecomeFIT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iwillbecomeFIT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iwillbecomeFIT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iwillbecomeFIT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iwillbecomeFIT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post
    If you get a power rack, you can do squats and benches in the same cage. Maybe overhead presses too.
    Thank you with the quick response! I really want a power rack!! But I don't think the height of my basement can fit one in (or atleast i think)

I started digging for a substitution and i came across this:

http://www.treadmillfactory.ca/xtrem...xe-squat-stand

the height is adjustable and bench/incline/overhead press can be done with a purchase of a flat and adjustable bench.

thoughts?

Edit: so i just measured my basement and it stands 83" tall. Trying to find a shorter power rack.
    Last edited by iwillbecomeFIT; 06-09-2015 at 09:43 PM.

Originally Posted by morebarbell View Post
    Read the topic labeled "Sticky: ***READ THIS FIRST***". You scrolled past it to get to this topic.
    thanks

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Some swear by it, but a lot of the regulars find it too cheap. What is the height of your ceiling? Is a sumo rack what you need?
    You need a good rack, a bench, and a 300-lb Olympic weight set. Now, what was your question?

My home gym: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1465291461&viewfull=1#post1465291461.

()---() York Barbell Club #1 (DD, RH, Kg) ()---() []---[] Equipment Crew #36 []---[] []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #51 []---[] [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #29 [M]===[6] ~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000)
    Seriously, there's another thread from another Canadian right now asking similar type questions.

Where in Canada are you located? Based on your links I'm assuming Ontario. I would not buy a rack (or anything) from any of those "big box" fitness stores - for the most part their stuff is crap. However, as mentioned in other threads the fitness depot crossbox is decent. It's a R3 knockoff as not quite as nice, but it's a lot cheaper and close enough. XTC also makes Rogue knockoffs for a little cheaper now that the dollar has tumbled. XTC also carries the top York bars although Rogue's prices on bars is pretty good still even in Canada.

I can't speak for any of the other benches out there but I love my Rogue flat bench. There are other knockoffs that may be fine and I think you can buy Pendlay stuff through Republic of Sport.

Legend, Elite, and some of the other good manufacturers make it too expensive to ship to Canada unless you can pick up the stuff over the border.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #79 []---[]
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #2 ||---||
    ▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #4 ▪[M]====[6]▪

dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    And what about your garage? You mentioned placing the squat rack there. How tall is that?
    ▪[[────]]▪ York Barbell Club #65 ▪[[────]]▪
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #65 []---[]
    â–ª[M]====[6]â–ª Mech6 Crew #3 â–ª[M]===[6]â–ª
    ─</>─<\>─ BWTG Cluster #65 ─</>─<\>─
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #65 ||---|| ▪█────█▪ Equipment Crew #74 ▪█────█▪

Sig line is not a novel.

Originally Posted by Vmango View Post
    Seriously, there's another thread from another Canadian right now asking similar type questions.

Where in Canada are you located? Based on your links I'm assuming Ontario. I would not buy a rack (or anything) from any of those "big box" fitness stores - for the most part their stuff is crap. However, as mentioned in other threads the fitness depot crossbox is decent. It's a R3 knockoff as not quite as nice, but it's a lot cheaper and close enough. XTC also makes Rogue knockoffs for a little cheaper now that the dollar has tumbled. XTC also carries the top York bars although Rogue's prices on bars is pretty good still even in Canada.

I can't speak for any of the other benches out there but I love my Rogue flat bench. There are other knockoffs that may be fine and I think you can buy Pendlay stuff through Republic of Sport.

Legend, Elite, and some of the other good manufacturers make it too expensive to ship to Canada unless you can pick up the stuff over the border.
    went digging through XTC website and came across the York Pro Series Squat / Bench Press Rack 204 @ 185$. pretty good reviews from misc i think

Originally Posted by AttyGuy View Post
    Some swear by it, but a lot of the regulars find it too cheap. What is the height of your ceiling? Is a sumo rack what you need?
    83" tall

Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    And what about your garage? You mentioned placing the squat rack there. How tall is that?
    isnt an option its used by fam

Edit:

Any thoughts on these selected bumper plates?

http://www.fitnessavenue.ca/item.php?id=679

http://www.xtcfitness.ca/equipment-f...k-barbell.html

http://www.landmarkathletics.com/oly...ck-ox-bar.html
    Last edited by iwillbecomeFIT; 06-10-2015 at 10:28 AM.

zoom008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zoom008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zoom008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zoom008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zoom008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zoom008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zoom008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zoom008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zoom008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zoom008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zoom008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Would you recommend the titan short rack over the rouge sml-1 squat stand?

dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Why are you looking for bumper plates? Will the majority of your lifting be Olympic styling?
    ▪[[────]]▪ York Barbell Club #65 ▪[[────]]▪
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #65 []---[]
    â–ª[M]====[6]â–ª Mech6 Crew #3 â–ª[M]===[6]â–ª
    ─</>─<\>─ BWTG Cluster #65 ─</>─<\>─
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #65 ||---|| ▪█────█▪ Equipment Crew #74 ▪█────█▪

Sig line is not a novel.

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by zoom008 View Post
    Would you recommend the titan short rack over the rouge sml-1 squat stand?
    I would go with what the Canadians who posted above recommend. I will say that I would not ever go with squat stands if I have room for a rack or half rack, or even sumo rack. Also, I would stay away from any really cheap racks unless one of the Canadian regulars here recommends it.
    You need a good rack, a bench, and a 300-lb Olympic weight set. Now, what was your question?

My home gym: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1465291461&viewfull=1#post1465291461.

()---() York Barbell Club #1 (DD, RH, Kg) ()---() []---[] Equipment Crew #36 []---[] []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #51 []---[] [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #29 [M]===[6] ~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I will say that I would not ever go with squat stands
    do you even English?
    Boomer Rep Crew #1
    []---[] Equipment Crew #37 []---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #3 ()---()

"You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit."
    -Wendler

Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    Why are you looking for bumper plates? Will the majority of your lifting be Olympic styling?
    i've been thinking.. I don't actually need bumper plates .. just thought it looks more useful at home.

After going through a topic created by a canadian miscer... york plates ( http://www.xtcfitness.ca/strength/weight-plates.html) is a sure thing?

but on the website there's a variety of york plates.. which ones is recommendeD?

TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Hey, I am going through the same thing. Building a home gym can be confusing since there are so many options, and being in Canada makes it a good chunk more expensive.

Here is the thread I started, it may help: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=167734271

inside the box thinker CliveWarren's Avatar
    CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Okay, to get you guys started:
    • Best price for plates is around $249 for a York 300lb set if you're in or around the GTA. A la cart is $0.85/lb at XTC
    • CAP OB-86B from Amazon.ca (was around $175 for some reason climbed to $233 recently)
    • Cheapest decent rack options are probably still GPR378 or Powertec for ~$600. Northern Lights/Amstaff/Extreme Monkey to be avoided (search Northern Lights Crossbox for a decent R3 clone if you're willing to order separate components) Contact Mech6 if you want something truly great.
    • No specific bench recommendation.
    Clive, you're a good guy. - AttyGuy

()---() York Barbell Club #62 (DD) ()---()
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #67 ▪█─────█▪

TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by CliveWarren View Post
    • Best price for plates is around $249 for a York 300lb set if you're in or around the GTA. A la cart is $0.85/lb at XTC
    • CAP OB-86B from Amazon.ca (was around $175 for some reason climbed to $233 recently)
    • Cheapest decent rack options are probably still GPR378 or Powertec for ~$600. Northern Lights/Amstaff/Extreme Monkey to be avoided (search Northern Lights Crossbox for a decent R3 clone if you're willing to order separate components) Contact Mech6 if you want something truly great.
    helpful, repped

Originally Posted by TipsyBanker View Post
    Hey, I am going through the same thing. Building a home gym can be confusing since there are so many options, and being in Canada makes it a good chunk more expensive.

Here is the thread I started, it may help: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=167734271
    thanks! i was browsing your topic throughout the prcess as well!

Thank you!

so far after ur recommendations, ill be getting the CAP OB-86B and the 300lb set.

As for the rack, the R3 won't fit in my basement (has a 83" height). having a difficult time finding a rack that fits my basement (hoping to find a rack not that quite expensive)

and mech6 work .. holy crazy work

http://shop.fitnessdepot.ca/72-Cross...and-P1208.aspx

Yes to this or no?
    Last edited by iwillbecomeFIT; 06-11-2015 at 12:33 PM.

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)

It depends what you are looking at. Every one of them is getting better with carrying racks that are well made.

Dotmar has always carried high quality stuff, they just aren't as well known. Treadmill Factory has always carried the Powertec rack, which was considered the best buy on the market for years. Their Xtreme Monkey Commercial and 375 racks are very well made. Fitness Depot has the Crossbox, as you stated, which is pretty solid.

Fitness Depot's Stealth Super bench is on par with Rogue's. It is fundamentally the same design as the one I've been using for 10 years, without issue, and no desire to trade up from.

We still have some very good options in Canada.

Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000)
    My overall point is that 95% of the stuff in those "big box" fitness stores is $hit. The plates, the bars, the bumpers, mostly everything is crap. A half-decent rack here or there may be true but I'd rather try an steer people away from those stores in general so they avoid being sucked into buy crap.

Rogue flat bench. . . .

My overall point is that 95% of the stuff in those "big box" fitness stores is $hit. The plates, the bars, the bumpers, mostly everything is crap. A half-decent rack here or there may be true but I'd rather try an steer people away from those stores in general so they avoid being sucked into buy crap.
    Exactly.

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Again, I'd disagree that 95% is crap. Just because it is not top of the line, with predestine engineering, doesn't necessarily mean it's crap.

I bought 1060lbs of weight plates from Fitness Depot over 10 years ago, when I first started training at home. I am still using each and every one of them today. I'm guessing that means they've survived over 3000 workouts. They've done everything for me that the Icarian commercial calibrated plates at the gym were doing for me. I paid 68 cents a pound vs $2 a pound (Canadian prices at the time). Anything that can do that, is not crap.

Same goes for the dumbbells I've been using for about the same time period. 20-170lb sets, all still working as well as they did the day I bought them. The lat pulldown, dip bars, back extension, dumbbell racks

While I haven't had them as long I can say the same for the med balls and kettlebells.

While I upgraded my Northern Lights power rack, leg press, calf raise, preacher curl and leg extension/curl it wasn't because they were crap. It was because I went full commercial instead. Friends of mine are using my old equipment regularly and without complaints (I know because I ask).

Fitness Avenue often takes a lot of slams from people but the soft plyo boxes I bought from them are going on 2 years of use. Same with the battle rope and wall balls.

I bought my safety squat bar, farmer handles, slam balls, and bands at Treadmill Factory. When I first began oly lifting I bought their bumper plates, which they now advertise as "economy". 4 or 5 years later they are holding up just fine. I did buy Pendlay Elite bumpers when I got serious about oly lifting, but I still use my TF bumpers for deadlifts and some misc and they work just fine.

Until last year I had been using a Troy black oxide barbell (one with a bolt in the sleeve) for my workouts. I paid $200 for it in 2005. It would be "crap" by most standards today yet it lasted through 10 years of my workouts, with as much as 600lbs on it. It is still straight, the knurling is a bit worn but still very usable.

I wouldn't recommend most of this stuff for a commercial gym but 99% of the inquiries around here are for home gyms.

There is nothing wrong with wanting top of the line equipment. There is another in us being equipment snobs, calling everything crap that isn't the best on the market. My F150 may not be a Ferrari, but it still gets the job done for what I need it to.

Dude, it isn't that an F150 is no Ferrari, it's that the Ferrari is no F150.....

Vmango may have posted hyperbole, but his general thrust is correct. Most big box store stuff is crap. Plates, Dumbbells, and curl bars are about the only things worth getting from those stores.

I do agree with you in part. I upgraded from Body-Solid to Legend, not because it failed me but because I too wanted commercial equipment. I could have stayed with B-S for years. But then again, I didn't buy it at a big box store.

Listen man. It's all good. You're free to your opinion and I am to mine. My opinion is to buy nice or buy twice and I've been down that road having purchased "big box" type stuff before having to sell it for $.50 on the dollar and then buy the quality stuff anyway. Many of the regulars have have learned the same way. This is why we sound like jackasses but it's because we want people to learn from OUR mistakes.

The big box stuff will work. For sure. If that's all you can afford, hey, I'm happy you're off the couch and training - that's the goal here. But, if you have some money to spare and you're a lifer I say just buy the better quality stuff...especially the stuff that matters like barbells and racks.

I wouldn't want to be squatting 400+ (or even 300) with a pathetic bent bar or a wobbly power rack. YMMV.

just casually browsing any sites with plates so...any love for these plates?

http://www.costco.ca/Tonic-Performan...100130573.html

http://www.costco.ca/Tonic-Performan...100161111.html