Natty Bodybuilding Crew Zoroastres's Avatar
    Zoroastres is just really nice. (+1000) Zoroastres is just really nice. (+1000) Zoroastres is just really nice. (+1000) Zoroastres is just really nice. (+1000) Zoroastres is just really nice. (+1000) Zoroastres is just really nice. (+1000) Zoroastres is just really nice. (+1000) Zoroastres is just really nice. (+1000) Zoroastres is just really nice. (+1000) Zoroastres is just really nice. (+1000) Zoroastres is just really nice. (+1000)

Exclamation >>>The Official Chess Thread<<<

Helpful link for people here, what to study etc. : http://www.chess.com/article/view/study-plan-directory

Link if you want to play chess with someone here, click challenge a friend, and post the link here: http://en.lichess.org/

Don't make fun of others, and keep the discussion focused on chess.
    http://www.weightrainer.net/articles.html
    http://weightrainer.blogspot.com/

NVious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NVious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NVious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NVious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NVious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NVious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NVious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NVious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NVious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NVious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NVious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

The two Gods

Chess holds its master in its own bonds, shackling the mind and brain so that the inner freedom of the very strongest must suffer. - Albert Einstein

I have always had a slight feeling of pity for man who has no knowledge of chess. - Siegbert Tarrasch

I consider chess an art, and accept all those responsibilities which art places upon its devotees. - Alexander Alekhine

The game of Chess is not merely an idle amusement; several very valuable qualities of the mind are to be acquired and strengthened by it, so as to become habits ready on all occasions, for life is a kind of chess. - Benjamin Franklin

Some fantastic chess games:

Great Chess Channels:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thechesswebsite (This one IMO is the most useful for beginners)
    http://www.youtube.com/onlinechesslessons (Great if you want to see pro games with good analysis)
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ChessNetwork -
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GreenCastleBlock -Don't really use these two much.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/kingscrusher (Better than Onlinechesslessons since more content is uploaded daily)

Websites to play on:
    Chess.com
    Lichess.org
    These are the two that I primarily use

In Post 2, I will go over what beginner's looking to learn should do.

NVious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NVious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NVious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NVious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NVious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NVious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NVious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NVious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NVious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NVious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NVious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    So If you're looking to start out chess, you need to understand that it is a very difficult game, but it is extremely rewarding.

IMO very few things in life rival the feeling you get when you play well or pull off a combination of moves that lead to a victory (especially if they involve a sacrifice).

I was in this position myself last year and although I'm nothing special in terms of rating (floating around 1700 right now), I have been able to make some pretty good progress (I started again last year at 1200 which is what every person's rating starts at).

Here are a few suggestions to all the people that will come in this thread wanting to learn and improve their chess.

1.Learn openings, I know some people will suggest to study middle games and end games, but as a beginner IMO the opening is the most important part. With the bevvy of tricks and traps available, it's very easy to lose chess games right out of the game. I recently had a game where my opponent blundered in the first 5 moves and the game was lost and this was at a 1700 level (http://www.chess.com/livechess/game?id=388923019). This isn't to say that you neglect middle game or end game study, but I really feel like once you're confident in your opening and you know that you can get good positions out of the gate, your play will be a lot easier. Hell most beginners will probably blunder pretty consistently in the first 10-20 moves, so having a grasp on what you want to accomplish is always good.

2.Analyze your games. If you're starting out, this won't even take that much time as the mistakes will be self evident. Using a computer engine is entirely pointless under a certain level as you should be able to spot where you went wrong. If it's really bothering you, turn one on, but other than that my suggestion is to do your best to find your errors on your own.

3.Watch videos or read books. You'll hardly get better just by playing chess, the studying is a huge part of improvement. If you're serious about improvement, try and watch at least one video per day. Watching the best play will almost always have an impact on how you approach your game. As you begin to see why certain ideas work and others don't, you can apply that same sort of thinking to how you approach chess.

4.Play people around your rating, trying to knock off people 4-500 above you can be very frustrating (I know). Sticking with people that are around your rating will make sure that you don't get angry and drop off with your quest for improvement. Beating somebody 200+ can be a very difficult task in itself, let alone someone beyond that. That's not to say that never challenge yourself, but don't be one of those people that chalks up your lack of success due to the fact that you're biting off more than you can chew.

5.Have fun, if you're not enjoying it, what good is it doing you? Stay consistent with your learning and try your best. Chess is a beautiful game, but it is just a game, take it for what it's worth.

For those that are complete beginners, I suggest checking out this series:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...A&feature=plcp

Or this one is great (the guy that voices these videos brings the lulz, has a great voice and I've learned many things from his videos)

The rest of them
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv7_0...hannel&list=UL
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mhLQ...hannel&list=UL
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU-bt...hannel&list=UL

For the openings:
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...3&feature=plcp

Check out Ruy Lopez and Sicilian, I think both are very fun to play and offer some very interesting lines.

The last thing I would suggest would be to get a Diamond chess.com membership. No I do not get paid for any referrals or anything like that, but for $120 a year, what you get out of it is very impressive (Video lessons/Tactics trainer/Online Chess Mentor/Game analysis etc). Also relative to what it costs to start a new hobby or learn a new activity, I think $10 a month is a very cheap way to guarantee improvement in your game.

There is a lot to mastering chess, but anyone can get good at it. Don't take my advice as concrete, explore the path you feel is best to improvement.

1.In regards to opening theory and why I feel it is most important for beginners. Opening theory at this point is pretty concrete in terms of what works and what is somewhat dubious. The opening doesn't lend itself for much creativity and is pretty rigid in certain lines. Not saying you won't find moves, but even at GM level, there is astonishment when they deviate from standard theory, into sidelines that they've studied. For somebody starting out in the 12-1600 area, having that good grasp on not only what moves you want to play, but in what order they need to be played in is always good for creating playable positions. There are many different openings and it really depends on how you like to play (aggressive, preventive, smothering etc), but pick an opening that you feel will help your style and learn as much as you can about it. The best way to retain the opening ideas is to write them down and have the paper handy when you're playing (assuming it's online).

2.This is not to say you neglect your middle/end game. Everyone is going to have areas where they struggle, for me it was opening. The above is just a suggestion, if you find yourself sailing through the opening, but having troubles with the middle/end game, obviously allocate more time to that. What I'd suggest would be %50 opening/25%mid game/25% end game in terms of study. Then you can go into sub categories pertaining to each like tactics/strategies/combinations etc. EVERYONE has to play the opening, the middle game will be a product of your opening and the end game is sheer calculation, getting an advantage even at the highest level is very doable after 20 moves, for beginners it's very doable after only 10, this is why I stress the opening.

3.In keeping with the theme, look for your strengths and weaknesses. Be aware of where your game struggles (Do you prefer open positions/closed positions?Do you have trouble focusing?Do you find yourself getting into time trouble?) and then look for remedies for them. For example, I've has issues with time trouble in the past, one thing that's helped dissipate that issue (not that it still isn't there) is my focus. Often times after I made a move, I'd be so cocky that I'd found something brilliant that I'd take my mind off the board and think about other things, my opponent would take 2-3 minutes and then find something I hadn't seen and instead of being ready for that, I'd snack back from my lull and take a generous amount of time. My clock would bleed and subsequently, later on in the game I'd face time trouble. All because I thought my position was so amazing that I could stop searching. If you're playing chess, you're playing chess, not miscing or chatting on facebook.

My all time best:

NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Chess crew checking in.

kasparov is GOAT crew.
    Mikhail Tal is my idol crew
    Liverpool F.C.

RIP Bill Starr

Zoroastres is just really nice. (+1000) Zoroastres is just really nice. (+1000) Zoroastres is just really nice. (+1000) Zoroastres is just really nice. (+1000) Zoroastres is just really nice. (+1000) Zoroastres is just really nice. (+1000) Zoroastres is just really nice. (+1000) Zoroastres is just really nice. (+1000) Zoroastres is just really nice. (+1000) Zoroastres is just really nice. (+1000) Zoroastres is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by NVious View Post

Nice.

thercias is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thercias is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thercias is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thercias is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thercias is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thercias is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thercias is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thercias is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thercias is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thercias is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thercias is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    spot sold to bobby fischer, deff was a miscer

SixGod is on a distinguished road. (+10) SixGod is on a distinguished road. (+10) SixGod is on a distinguished road. (+10) SixGod is on a distinguished road. (+10) SixGod is on a distinguished road. (+10) SixGod is on a distinguished road. (+10) SixGod is on a distinguished road. (+10) SixGod is on a distinguished road. (+10) SixGod is on a distinguished road. (+10) SixGod is on a distinguished road. (+10) SixGod is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    bump

GolfPants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GolfPants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GolfPants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GolfPants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GolfPants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GolfPants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GolfPants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GolfPants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GolfPants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GolfPants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GolfPants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Subbed. Been trying to get less chitty at chess lately.
    I call it "Celebration". It's sexual, and violent...

New Jersey Crew (732)

SixGod is on a distinguished road. (+10) SixGod is on a distinguished road. (+10) SixGod is on a distinguished road. (+10) SixGod is on a distinguished road. (+10) SixGod is on a distinguished road. (+10) SixGod is on a distinguished road. (+10) SixGod is on a distinguished road. (+10) SixGod is on a distinguished road. (+10) SixGod is on a distinguished road. (+10) SixGod is on a distinguished road. (+10) SixGod is on a distinguished road. (+10)

u there?

i think i might've disconnected

Registered User IIIIIIIIIIIIIIl's Avatar
    IIIIIIIIIIIIIIl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IIIIIIIIIIIIIIl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IIIIIIIIIIIIIIl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IIIIIIIIIIIIIIl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IIIIIIIIIIIIIIl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IIIIIIIIIIIIIIl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IIIIIIIIIIIIIIl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IIIIIIIIIIIIIIl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IIIIIIIIIIIIIIl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IIIIIIIIIIIIIIl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IIIIIIIIIIIIIIl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Greetings all,

decided to log in after months to say... IN!!!

Ive been playing Zynga chess with friends on mobile, great procrastination tool
    Snapchat@ilolwhat
    *Ski and Snowboard crew*

Originally Posted by GolfPants View Post
    Subbed. Been trying to get less chitty at chess lately.
    Originally Posted by IIIIIIIIIIIIIIl View Post
    Greetings all,

decided to log in after months to say... IN!!!

Ive been playing Zynga chess with friends on mobile, great procrastination tool
    Glad to have you guys.

winstonsmith1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) winstonsmith1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) winstonsmith1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) winstonsmith1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) winstonsmith1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) winstonsmith1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) winstonsmith1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) winstonsmith1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) winstonsmith1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) winstonsmith1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) winstonsmith1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    "I like the moment when I break a man's ego."

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

remtch my *****

acrobat2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) acrobat2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) acrobat2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) acrobat2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) acrobat2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) acrobat2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) acrobat2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) acrobat2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) acrobat2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) acrobat2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) acrobat2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Petrov defense

My friend always does petroff defense with black.

If anyone could suggest some software or tutorials to learn how to play against it, please suggest

JD135 JD135 JD135 JD135 JD135 JD135 JD135 JD135 JD135 JD135 JD135
    Any miscer up for a game?

TheFiveRings is just really nice. (+1000) TheFiveRings is just really nice. (+1000) TheFiveRings is just really nice. (+1000) TheFiveRings is just really nice. (+1000) TheFiveRings is just really nice. (+1000) TheFiveRings is just really nice. (+1000) TheFiveRings is just really nice. (+1000) TheFiveRings is just really nice. (+1000) TheFiveRings is just really nice. (+1000) TheFiveRings is just really nice. (+1000) TheFiveRings is just really nice. (+1000)
    In on this ****. Chess is the alpha mans game.

Originally Posted by TheFiveRings View Post
    In on this ****. Chess is the alpha mans game.
    Click the link on first post brah. We'll battle it out.

http://en.lichess.org/ click this link if you wanna play me. Click on "challenge a friend"

TheFiveRings is just really nice. (+1000) TheFiveRings is just really nice. (+1000) TheFiveRings is just really nice. (+1000) TheFiveRings is just really nice. (+1000) TheFiveRings is just really nice. (+1000) TheFiveRings is just really nice. (+1000) TheFiveRings is just really nice. (+1000) TheFiveRings is just really nice. (+1000) TheFiveRings is just really nice. (+1000) TheFiveRings is just really nice. (+1000) TheFiveRings is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by JD135 View Post
    Click the link on first post brah. We'll battle it out.

Can't play atm but will PM you when I get a chance for a game.

Originally Posted by TheFiveRings View Post
    Can't play atm but will PM you when I get a chance for a game.
    Sounds good, brah.

Registered User siciliannajdorf's Avatar
    siciliannajdorf is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    At novice level, blunders are abundance. You also misses many tactical chances that wins material or mate the king. So the focus of study for novice must be improving at tactics.Sample of tactics are pin,fork,skewer,discovery and mate combinations. You can also study strategies and endgames appropriate for your level. There are many good chess tactics app that you can try.

Basic Tips.

Always study your opponent's last move
    Always look at the whole board to see piece positioning
    Before you make a move, check if there is a tactical drawback
    Solve chess tactics puzzles