AjPennant8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Basketball/Strength Workout Log

Whats up guys. Starting this log to somewhat keep track of my workouts and also share with others who also play ball and whatnot. It's always been a dream of mine to play professional basketball overseas and when I went to college I walked on/practiced w the basketball squad for a little bit but it didn't really work out as college got to me (too much drinking/fraternity life, etc.) So this summer is essentially my testing phase before I go back to school for my last year to somewhat see how good I can get. A little info about myself I'm around 6'4-6'5 in shoes, about 200 lbs, around 6-10 wingspan, not too sure of my bf% but prob around 15-20%. Basketball wise I'm more of a shooter with an ok handle and decent quickness/jumping ability. Currently I prob have around a 30 inch running vertical jump (can dunk off vert one hand, one step two hands, tomahawks, etc.) I'm going to be doing a lot of basketball court workouts involved around 200-300 made jumpshots and ball handling, this vertical jump program (jump science), and upper body lifting. Most days I'll be doing 2-a-days with either legs workouts or court workouts in the morning, then either upper body lifting or pick up in the afternoon/evening. Goals are obviously improved jump shooting & ball handling ability & around a 40 inch running vertical at the end of the summer/start of the fall. I was windmilling/double pump dunking like a year or two ago and I wasn't even in that great of shape so I wanna get back to that plus would be nice to be going under the legs, head almost at rim etc. So yeah I'm already one week in but will start posting workouts tomorrow. Sorry for long intro but excited to see where I can get. Absolutely feel free to comment or share ideas with me

So today went to the gym early and the legs were feeling pretty good. Only got a chance to get in one workout though. Got some quick stretching in first (foam roller, static and moving stretches), then shot around a lil bit to get some sweat going before the legs workout. The first part of the workout were practice jumps/dunks: 5 standing dunks (didn't make any today kept going off the back iron smh), 5 one step dunks, 5-7 full approach dunks, then 5 dunks off each foot. I've definitely lost inches on my vertical since starting this program last week but that's as expected. After that my workout was as followed:
    Depth drops: 3x5
    Deadlifts: 4x10 at 175 lbs (light I know but I'm working my way up. Haven't lifted legs in maybe about 2 years)
    Step-ups w barbell 3x10 each leg at 85 lbs (this exercise is a f*cking killer man)
    Lateral lunges: 3x10 each leg with 35 lb weight in my hands

This program is 3 days a week so my workout schedule is usually legs, court workout, legs, and so on. Tomorrow I'll get a good workout in on the court for about 2 hours then most likely lift upper body in the afternoon. I usually try to get in about 300 makes in every morning plus ball handling. Just found a shooting partner for some days so hopefully I can bump that up to around 400 makes with a rebounder. Will check in tomorrow.

Got a real nice court workout in this morning. Got some ball handling in along with all types of jumpers. For all the hoopers that understand I'm really trying to focus on my shot form this summer. My jumper (imo) is real good except for the fact that I have a slight hitch in which I hit my head while on my way up. Been working on getting that perfect form and going straight up and releasing. Jumper is getting better and better. Put up around 300-400 made jumpers mostly off the dribble & some spot up from midrange & from 3. Came back to the gym later on in the afternoon and lifted upper body.

Barbell bench press 4x8-10 (been doing real light weight on the bench press since I found out my form was ass lol. Wasn't using mostly my chest. Now more focusing on form and going up in weight slowly).
    Seated dumbbell press 4x8-10
    Chest cable row
    Barbell bicep curls
    Lat Pull downs

Tomorrow is legs day so should be fun. Gonna try to get a lil bit of shots and pick up in too. Haven't been playing much pick-up been mostly focusing on getting court workouts in to get my game back right.

Missed a couple of days, **** got busy but anyways:

Tuesday was my day off, pretty much just slept all day, didn't really get a chance to get a workout in at all
    Wednesday: In the morning I did legs which consisted of:
    - Squat Jumps: 4x10
    - Squats: 4x10. I did 165 for the first two sets, then 175 for the last two. Yeah I'm weak as **** lol but I'm working on it
    - Lunges: 3x16 alternating at 75 lbs
    - 1 leg line hops side to side: 2x20 each leg
    - 1 leg line hops front to back: 2x20 each leg
    - Back extensions: 3x10 w 45 lb plate

Later on I went back to the gym to just do a lil bit of light shooting and to get a decent sweat in

Thursday: Got up early and got in around 300 made shots in around an hour. Great workout. Jump shot starting to feel great. Gonna try to up the shots made in the morning to around 400-500.

After that came back in the afternoon to get an upper body lift in:
    Pull-ups: 4x10
    Machine shoulder press: 3x10
    Chest machine row: 4x8
    Flat dumbbell bench press
    Dumbbell curls
    Tricep pressdowns

Friday/Today: Got in the last day of legs for the week. Legs starting to feel sore so definitely working. Can't wait to see the results at the end of the summer vertical jumping and quickness wise.

5 hop (jump jumping 5 times consecutively as quick as possible): 5 sets
    Ankle bounces: 4x40
    1 leg squats: 4x10 each leg
    1 leg deadlifts: 3x10 each leg
    Overhead lunges: 3x16 alternating
    Was supposed to do hang snatches but I'm still getting the movement down so for right now just doing overhead squats with the bar and kettle ball snatches.

Tomorrow is my day off so I'll check in on sunday. Got legs again should be fun.

kevinkevin19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevinkevin19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevinkevin19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevinkevin19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevinkevin19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevinkevin19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevinkevin19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevinkevin19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevinkevin19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevinkevin19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevinkevin19 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Just got an idea for a training program, thanks! I envy people who are 6 feet and above. I'm 5'11 and I play Center(people in my country, the Philippines, are short). Whenever I play half court I usually have fun and play well but when it's full court I get nervous and commit many turnovers. Hoping to improve my game especially my low post game for a basketball tournament coming up in our college.
    Don't just be yourself, be better than yourself!!!

ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ByronKelly will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    How are you 6'4+, only 200lbs and 15%+ BF. You are skinny fat. Yet you can dunk, windmill, tomahawk etc?
    You must be over estimating your BF % or something.

From what you have posted, which is not a lot of actual info, you are plyometrically strong (beliving you can jump 30+ inches) and very very weak from a strength perspective (you cant even squat your body weight).

Here is some unsolicited advice. Value it at what you paid for it:

So, if you want to improve your vertical/strength/speed/explosiveness whatever, your focus, at least for the next little while, is to get stronger in Squats, Deadlifts, and upper body. Notice i didnt say chest or bench. Doing more plyometric work is giving you little return on your investment (time and effort) where your already strong in reactive jumping (ie you can dunk off a run or steps but not without).

You prob want to increase volume SLOWLY so dont start doing 9+ workouts a week or you'll burn out fast (when you add lifting to skills work and pickup/games it can get into a lot of volume fast). I would cut something to add some time in the weight room. IF you can, shoot before you lift any maybe keep the number of makes to something more manageable, say 150makes (and actually count them).

Find a beginners program, like 5X5 for example, and use it. Keep it SIMPLE and focus on learning HOW to lift before you go into heavier weights.

in the meantime, lets see some dunking videos
    Estimated 1Rep Max at ~204lbs

Squat 370lb (1.71xBW)
    Deadlift 470lb (2.30xBW)
    Bench 265lb (1.30xBW)

-bk

Lance5678 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lance5678 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lance5678 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lance5678 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lance5678 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lance5678 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lance5678 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lance5678 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lance5678 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lance5678 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lance5678 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Update?