Do you do drugs Danny? majorchamp's Avatar
    majorchamp is just really nice. (+1000) majorchamp is just really nice. (+1000) majorchamp is just really nice. (+1000) majorchamp is just really nice. (+1000) majorchamp is just really nice. (+1000) majorchamp is just really nice. (+1000) majorchamp is just really nice. (+1000) majorchamp is just really nice. (+1000) majorchamp is just really nice. (+1000) majorchamp is just really nice. (+1000) majorchamp is just really nice. (+1000)

Pop along left rib area during squats, think its serratus anterior though

At first I thought I popped a rib out, but after seeing my chiropractor he believes the ribs are fine, but that I likely strained or tore an intercostal muscle.

Was doing squats last week, wearing a belt, and felt a POP trying to come out of the hole. I previous strained this area 6 weeks prior (and rested after that) but never felt a pop. So originally thought I strained my intercostals / serratus last time (was doing deadlifts), but popped a rib this time.

I have a noticeable bump under the skin (hence the fear I popped rib out of place) when I arch my back a particular way, the bump feels on top of my rib and only hurts when I apply direct pressure. Certain activities requiring me to stretch / lengthen my left arm does aggravate it. I'm not lifting at the moment. My chiropractor suggested I give this a week, see if the swelling goes down, and if not consider getting an MRI. I was in much more overall pain / discomfort 6 weeks ago when I strained the area, whereas this time the pain is localized to the spot, and I can do a lot more movement with no pain than last time. It's right where the left lat muscle seems to connect near the Serratus. In fact, maybe possible its a serratus issue, not intercostal.

Looking in the mirror, the lump does appear to be the lower of the serratus anterior 'fingers'. This is not my picture, but where that lower serratus anterior muscle resides is the one swollen.

hqdefault.jpg

I was wearing a latch powerlifting belt. Anyone else ever experienced an injury like this?

shayann has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    how did you solve this

Do you do drugs Danny? majorchamp's Avatar
    majorchamp is just really nice. (+1000) majorchamp is just really nice. (+1000) majorchamp is just really nice. (+1000) majorchamp is just really nice. (+1000) majorchamp is just really nice. (+1000) majorchamp is just really nice. (+1000) majorchamp is just really nice. (+1000) majorchamp is just really nice. (+1000) majorchamp is just really nice. (+1000) majorchamp is just really nice. (+1000) majorchamp is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by shayann View Post
    how did you solve this
    Rest. I cracked my rib. I found this out about 6 months later when getting an x-ray at the chirpractor due to another issue I was having which involved impingement in my spine...he saw calcification in that area I complained about..and noted it looks like the body healing from a cracked / broken rib.

Hyvok is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Three weeks ago I had the same thing happen. I usually don't use a belt, squats were feeling heavy (I'm a beginner so only around 200 lbs) so I decided to put one on. On the last rep when I went in to the hole I heard/felt a pop on my left side, but it didn't really hurt. Came back up, my side hurt a bit if I pushed on it or laid down (like trying to do bench) but it really wasn't that bad. Pain did seem to localize on the bone. Decided to go to the doctor still, she said it could be a fracture (or could be something else) but it is not unstable so no X-ray and just told to take it slow for a couple of weeks. It's been now about three weeks and it feels healed. There never was any swelling and it was not very painful, just felt uncomfortable to sleep on that side and I had to lay off the bench but otherwise I continued as normal in the gym (with a deload).

Mostly concerned on what did I do wrong and how can I prevent it from happening again. I'd like to start using a belt at some point. I think I probably wore the belt too high and it pushed on my lowest rib. The belt was as tight as I could tighten it. Not sure if it was "too tight" considering I see/hear people tightening it by pulling against and rack and stuff, don't think it was that tight...