Recess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Fallen into the supplement trap - taking too much? Clashing?

Hey folks,

Sorry to ask this, but I don't seem to get proper advice anywhere else!!

I've been training for a long time through different sports, and now have latched onto indoor rowing (came 4th in the world in March for my age and weight (40 / 164lbs))

But, as good as 4th in the world was, it didn't even bring me anything back from Boston to Scotland for my troubles. So I've been looking to increase my power for the start of the season in October.

Prior to March, I was training hard on the C2, and doing a fair bit of resistance work. By keeping an eye on my diet, I wouldn't put on any muscle, but I also wouldn't lose any fat (I need to stay <75Kg to be a lightweight in rowing)

But, like I said, I want power, so I'm looking to grow for the next few months, then trim down for the start of the season.

I've always had high protein intake through diet, then shakes and bars - but recently, I've fallen into the trap of buying any supplement that says it'll help me either lose fat or add muscle, and I'm now a bit lost as to whether I'm fooling myself / counter-acting each product by taking so much.

So on top of the protein, I'm taking:

Kre Alkalyn (American EFX)
    HMB
    CLA
    Tribulus Pro
    D Aspartic Acid
    Methoxy isoflavone
    Beta Ecdysterone
    ZMA

All apart from the Kre come from My Protein.com (they're making a lot of money out of me right now!)

I can see results, though maybe I've plateaued a bit over the past couple of weeks (I've been at this since beginning of March) - so wonder if I'm taking too much, and whether anything other than the D Aspartic Acid should be cycled?

One of these days I hope I'll be able to offer advice instead of ask for it - but thanks in advance for any help you can be. (I can help you with rowing, DJing or Video Editing though!)

John

Kennysvgp08 is a name known to all. (+5000) Kennysvgp08 is a name known to all. (+5000) Kennysvgp08 is a name known to all. (+5000) Kennysvgp08 is a name known to all. (+5000) Kennysvgp08 is a name known to all. (+5000) Kennysvgp08 is a name known to all. (+5000) Kennysvgp08 is a name known to all. (+5000) Kennysvgp08 is a name known to all. (+5000) Kennysvgp08 is a name known to all. (+5000) Kennysvgp08 is a name known to all. (+5000) Kennysvgp08 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Kre alkalyn is fine if you want creatine in pill form.
    HMB isn't needed unless you get bad muscle soreness
    CLA you don't need unless you're cutting
    Trib isn't needed
    D Aspartic acid is pretty good as long as you take it
    the next two I'm guessing are coming from M stak? I like that product.
    ZMA if you like having crazy dreams but isn't needed with a halfway decent diet.
    COUNTRYMIKE APPRECIATION CREW

Spinal fused T-10

As of 1/21/16
    B: 240
    S: 320
    D: 420

My story from a broken back to joining the 1,000 pound club:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168613003

wheels30 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wheels30 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wheels30 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wheels30 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wheels30 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wheels30 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wheels30 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wheels30 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wheels30 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wheels30 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wheels30 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    In all honesty - In all the years I have been training I buy less and less supplements. I still make gains and my wallet stays alot fatter. Supplement companies are excellent in marketing. They make you believe your going to make crazy gains using there product where in reality the benefit is so small in the whole swing of things. Making sure your diet is on point is the best way to keep improving. If you do buy supplements have a high quality fish oil, multivitamin, creatine monohydrate, and a protein supplement if you have trouble hitting requirements with whole foods.
    W.N.B.F Pro
    B.S Exercise Science
    ACSM-HFS
    Instagram-Wheels_Morgante_Fitness
    The reason why I do that, put my body through all that....Because I love it. -Ronnie Coleman

The Solution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Recess View Post
    I've always had high protein intake through diet, then shakes and bars - but recently, I've fallen into the trap of buying any supplement that says it'll help me either lose fat or add muscle, and I'm now a bit lost as to whether I'm fooling myself / counter-acting each product by taking so much.

So on top of the protein, I'm taking:

Kre Alkalyn (American EFX)
    HMB
    CLA
    Tribulus Pro
    D Aspartic Acid
    Methoxy isoflavone
    Beta Ecdysterone
    ZMA

John
    You could drop all of this
    Get a good multi, fishoil, and bulk creatine on top of your whey protein and put all that money into your diet to fuel your performance in the gym and out of the gym which would merit 100x better results than all those pills and powders.

You have admitted your own problem of falling into the trap
    You cannot supplement a bad diet and training program. I suggest investing in more food and more calories

Eat in a caloric surplus, meaning eating more kcals than you need to maintain in order to gain muscle, size, and strength.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...mass-gain.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...-gains-qa.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...ass-gains.html

Philosophies, Macro intake, training , and cardio articles for you to understand and help set up what you need to do before moving forward towards more supplements or advanced workout routines.

Kennysvgp08 is a name known to all. (+5000) Kennysvgp08 is a name known to all. (+5000) Kennysvgp08 is a name known to all. (+5000) Kennysvgp08 is a name known to all. (+5000) Kennysvgp08 is a name known to all. (+5000) Kennysvgp08 is a name known to all. (+5000) Kennysvgp08 is a name known to all. (+5000) Kennysvgp08 is a name known to all. (+5000) Kennysvgp08 is a name known to all. (+5000) Kennysvgp08 is a name known to all. (+5000) Kennysvgp08 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by The Solution View Post
    Get a good multi, fishoil, and bulk creatine on top of your whey protein and put all that money into your diet to fuel your performance in the gym and out of the gym which would merit 100x better results than all those pills and powders.

You cannot supplement a bad diet and training program. I suggest investing in more food and more calories

Eat in a caloric surplus, meaning eating more kcals than you need to maintain in order to gain muscle, size, and strength.

Philosophies, Macro intake, training , and cardio articles for you to understand and help set up what you need to do before moving forward towards more supplements or advanced workout routines.
    Dang, This.
    COUNTRYMIKE APPRECIATION CREW

Spinal fused T-10

As of 1/21/16
    B: 240
    S: 320
    D: 420

My story from a broken back to joining the 1,000 pound club:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168613003

TrainerTone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TrainerTone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TrainerTone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TrainerTone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TrainerTone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TrainerTone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TrainerTone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TrainerTone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TrainerTone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TrainerTone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TrainerTone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Multivitamin, fish oil, creatine, protein and preworkout (optional)..other than that save your dollars bro
    Instagram - beyond__fitness__

TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Def. drop the Ecdy and the DAA. Both are worthless.
    Krispy Kreme Krew Forever.
    Disclaimer: The above post is my personal opinion and does not represent the official position of any company or entity.

Wow! At the risk of ending replies (please folks, keep replying!) thanks so much for the helpful, quick response to my question!

The only thing left lingering is the Tribulus supplement. Now I'm 40, I was told to match that with the D Aspartic Acid to get my testosterone levels up - as my body would have a hard time growing muscle without going back to the levels of a 20 year old (Kenny, who's 20 and probably has testosterone oozing out of his pores wouldn't need it - but me at 40?)

I'll run down what I have, then just go back to lots of protein, Creatine (I'm ok to take it as Kre aren't I?) and keep eating well - and make sure to go into calorie surplus while training until I need to start trimming down for the new season.

Thanks again folks.

John

hvactech81 is just really nice. (+1000) hvactech81 is just really nice. (+1000) hvactech81 is just really nice. (+1000) hvactech81 is just really nice. (+1000) hvactech81 is just really nice. (+1000) hvactech81 is just really nice. (+1000) hvactech81 is just really nice. (+1000) hvactech81 is just really nice. (+1000) hvactech81 is just really nice. (+1000) hvactech81 is just really nice. (+1000) hvactech81 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Recess View Post
    Wow! At the risk of ending replies (please folks, keep replying!) thanks so much for the helpful, quick response to my question!

The only thing left lingering is the Tribulus supplement. Now I'm 40, I was told to match that with the D Aspartic Acid to get my testosterone levels up - as my body would have a hard time growing muscle without going back to the levels of a 20 year old (Kenny, who's 20 and probably has testosterone oozing out of his pores wouldn't need it - but me at 40?)

I'll run down what I have, then just go back to lots of protein, Creatine (I'm ok to take it as Kre aren't I?) and keep eating well - and make sure to go into calorie surplus while training until I need to start trimming down for the new season.

Thanks again folks.

John
    the effects of trib are acute at best however at 34yrs old i definitely feel enhanced mood and libido more so when not taking it.. have you had blood work done in awhile?
    SizeSlim Supplements
    Forum Representative
    sizeslim.com

looking for company reps
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170986691&p=1433550521#post1433550521

TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    DAA has been proven just to not do anything. If anything its terrible for boosting test, like the opposite effect.

At your age, sometihng like Trib would be great for mood and lidibo. Our product Status is great for older men such as yourself, as IMO, that is the best time to use products like that.
    Disclaimer: The above post is my personal opinion and does not represent the official position of any company or entity.

Originally Posted by hvactech81 View Post
    have you had blood work done in awhile?
    Erm, no - I just assumed I was a shrivelled up old man at 40 - as that's what the man in the shop said. While taking my money...

I'll keep an eye on what happens over the next few weeks, see if I notice any changes in body, or desire to jump on my wife!

John

Originally Posted by TMac26 View Post
    ... great for older men such as yourself...
    Sobs quietly to himself... :-)

Growing older is just a fact of life. I find myself all the time it happening with my attitude towards "new things"

2011 NPC Eastern USA's XCriticalBenchX's Avatar
    XCriticalBenchX has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) XCriticalBenchX has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) XCriticalBenchX has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) XCriticalBenchX has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) XCriticalBenchX has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) XCriticalBenchX has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) XCriticalBenchX has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) XCriticalBenchX has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) XCriticalBenchX has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) XCriticalBenchX has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) XCriticalBenchX has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by The Solution View Post

This.. pretty much 100% agree.

Mike
    ….