Page 1 of 162 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast
    jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

** Official IT Thread ** - Come in for some tech!

Sup guys, figured I'd try this out.

Come in and talk about your IT job, goals, hobbies, what certs you're working on, and whatever else you'd like.

I'm currently an System Engineer working towards going back to school for my BA and focusing in Cyber Security.
    *Rest In Peace Dad. I miss you every second of every day 03/13/2013*

*Official Dodge Truck Crew CEO*
    *Official IT Thread CEO*

Nicklol has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Nicklol has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Nicklol has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Nicklol has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Nicklol has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Nicklol has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Nicklol has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Nicklol has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Nicklol has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Nicklol has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Nicklol has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    what is It exactly?

how to get It job
    Doordasher crew (SRS)
    Bidet Crew
    Nissan Versa 2023 crew
    Bald crew

jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Nicklol View Post
    what is It exactly?

how to get It job
    Information Technology.

*Official IT Thread CEO*

omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Take my A+ 801 tommorow... Mad nervous. been re watching all the professor messer vids today like 3 hours in ATM, then gonna finish up the night with one last round of all the practice tests on http://www.examcompass.com/...

Then gonna do the same for 802 on Thursday.

Then its on to hopefully finding a good entry job into the IT field. Have any of you ever used any recruiters or agencies? Whats the best resources to find "IT" jobs?

Hold me brahs :'(
    Are you not entertained?

MFC #32

It's All About the U

Originally Posted by omnip0tent View Post
    Take my A+ 801 tommorow... Mad nervous. been re watching all the professor messer vids today like 3 hours in ATM, then gonna finish up the night with one last round of all the practice tests on http://www.examcompass.com/...

Then gonna do the same for 802 on Thursday.

Then its on to hopefully finding a good entry job into the IT field. Have any of you ever used any recruiters or agencies? Whats the best resources to find "IT" jobs?

Hold me brahs :'(

I know it's late, but check out Pluralsight. It's 30 bucks a month for THOUSANDS of videos. They have a really good A+ course on there.

You have a degree as well? Or just doing the certs and experience route?

My current job I got from a recruiter. I'd say half of them are bull****, half of them are legit. At the end of the day though, who cares what kinda person they are. If they have a job on the table for something you like, go for it.

*Official IT Thread CEO*

omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jerzyfit View Post
    I know it's late, but check out Pluralsight. It's 30 bucks a month for THOUSANDS of videos. They have a really good A+ course on there.

You have a degree as well? Or just doing the certs and experience route?

My current job I got from a recruiter. I'd say half of them are bull****, half of them are legit. At the end of the day though, who cares what kinda person they are. If they have a job on the table for something you like, go for it.
    Thanks I got it bookmarked maybe for my next cert.

Just finished my 2 year Degree (AA) but that included alot of general education along with a few database management classes, 1 coding class, etc... So I feel I have ALMOST NO USEFUL knowledge and a worthless degree to show employers.

I've come into some financial hardship and don't want to wait another 2 years to have "something to prove" I'm qualified. The random odd jobs I've had (bartending, hospital transport, Hotel Concierge, Retail sales, etc) Just don't offer room for growth... So I decided to start looking for "IT" jobs which is what I'm pursing my degree in... but I saw almost all required 1)Experience 2)Atleast A+ & more for higher level positions 3)A 4 year degree...

...So here I am 2 months later test day is here. Hopefully pass that ****, and find a job I can feel like I can progress at. So i'd say cert+Xp route for now

I DO PLAN to finish my degree simply on principle that I already started( and maybe it'll help me get more pay?), But i figured Certs+XP is a much more direct route to start a career NOW.

And thanks for the input, just never used a recruiter or agency in any sense, just wondered if they ACTUALLY worked/find people jobs. Could care less how scummy they are as long as I find a cushy job for myself.
    Are you not entertained?

MFC #32

It's All About the U

That's a good route, just keep working towards it. Sorry you've found yourself in a financial dilemma, it happens to the best of us.

That's my plan as well. I went to a tech school, so I do have a piece of paper. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford regular college. I started, but then my dad died. That's why I decided on a tech school instead. I should hopefully be starting school again soon online.

Yeah, I see that as well. Honestly though, it's all about experience. 90 percent of jobs will say BA or equivalent work experience. If you can afford the BA, it certainly won't hurt.

All's I'm saying is, if there's a 20 year Cisco veteran with a ****, the last thing anyone's going to ask him is if he went to college.

Edit: lol wtf? Why is a Cisco cert name bleeped out on here lmfao.

*Official IT Thread CEO*

Hickson517 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hickson517 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hickson517 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hickson517 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hickson517 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hickson517 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hickson517 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hickson517 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hickson517 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hickson517 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hickson517 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thanks I got it bookmarked maybe for my next cert.

Just finished my 2 year Degree (AA) but that included alot of general education along with a few database management classes, 1 coding class, etc... So I feel I have ALMOST NO USEFUL knowledge and a worthless degree to show employers.

I've come into some financial hardship and don't want to wait another 2 years to have "something to prove" I'm qualified. The random odd jobs I've had (bartending, hospital transport, Hotel Concierge, Retail sales, etc) Just don't offer room for growth... So I decided to start looking for "IT" jobs which is what I'm pursing my degree in... but I saw almost all required 1)Experience 2)Atleast A+ & more for higher level positions 3)A 4 year degree...

...So here I am 2 months later test day is here. Hopefully pass that ****, and find a job I can feel like I can progress at. So i'd say cert+Xp route for now

I DO PLAN to finish my degree simply on principle that I already started( and maybe it'll help me get more pay?), But i figured Certs+XP is a much more direct route to start a career NOW.

And thanks for the input, just never used a recruiter or agency in any sense, just wondered if they ACTUALLY worked/find people jobs. Could care less how scummy they are as long as I find a cushy job for myself.
    You got it figured out brah. First job take whatever u can get. Post resume on major job boards and IT agencies WILL contact you if its a legit HONEST resume. You can send me ur resume and i can cretique it. Been in IT for a few months. Looking for a job other than Windows 7 migration BC that **** is BORING.
    5/29/17 - **The day I decided to take my life seriously and start approaching girls, and learning openers, mid conversation phase shifting, building an emotional and physical connection. I need to get more confident in general, and get rid of my anxiety. PM if you have helpful guy advice and can instruct me on the right material to read. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Hickson517 View Post
    You got it figured out brah. First job take whatever u can get. Post resume on major job boards and IT agencies WILL contact you if its a legit HONEST resume. You can send me ur resume and i can cretique it. Been in IT for a few months. Looking for a job other than Windows 7 migration BC that **** is BORING.
    What do you mean by legit honest resume?

I normally dont LIE on my resume. But I do exclude random ODD jobs i've had such as: yogurt place one summer ( for 3 months), Victorias secret for like (1 week) lol thats about it really. Just feels like its clutter and i like my resume to be simple but filled with things that make me look good (obviously)

That's a good route, just keep working towards it. Sorry you've found yourself in a financial dilemma, it happens to the best of us.

That's my plan as well. I went to a tech school, so I do have a piece of paper. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford regular college. I started, but then my dad died. That's why I decided on a tech school instead. I should hopefully be starting school again soon online.

Yeah, I see that as well. Honestly though, it's all about experience. 90 percent of jobs will say BA or equivalent work experience. If you can afford the BA, it certainly won't hurt.

All's I'm saying is, if there's a 20 year Cisco veteran with a ****, the last thing anyone's going to ask him is if he went to college.

Edit: lol wtf? Why is a Cisco cert name bleeped out on here lmfao.
    thanks man. sounds good. Hopefully Thursday I'll post in this biatch A+ certified.
    Are you not entertained?

MFC #32

It's All About the U

What do you mean by legit honest resume?

I normally dont LIE on my resume. But I do exclude random ODD jobs i've had such as: yogurt place one summer ( for 3 months), Victorias secret for like (1 week) lol thats about it really. Just feels like its clutter and i like my resume to be simple but filled with things that make me look good (obviously)

thanks man. sounds good. Hopefully Thursday I'll post in this biatch A+ certified.

Resume is definitely important bruh. Put everything you've done. For example, if you've installed an OS, put "installation of operating systems" on your resume. If you've upgraded a PC and moved data, put on your resume "upgrade and data migration ". You wanna put all the little things at first. Make sure when you write it, writer it good.

*Official IT Thread CEO*

Resume is definitely important bruh. Put everything you've done. For example, if you've installed an OS, put "installation of operating systems" on your resume. If you've upgraded a PC and moved data, put on your resume "upgrade and data migration ". You wanna put all the little things at first. Make sure when you write it, writer it good.
    I think writing is actually one of my strongest academic abilities. So I pride myself on having a good resume and exceptional written communication. But the ONLY IT job I applied for before I decided to do the A+ told me my resume was just WAY TO BROAD and GENERAL(which i appreciated the unsolicited advice). And If I wanted to land an IT job I would need to consolidate my resume and make it sound like IT was my thing (but i have no IT work experience so I had nothing about my "IT skills" on there) But FUARK I like how ^^^ that sounds lmao. I will be REMAKING my resume on Friday (bcz if i pass thursday im getting yucky wit da boyz) and that phrase is definitely going in there.
    Are you not entertained?

MFC #32

It's All About the U

Hickson517 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hickson517 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hickson517 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hickson517 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hickson517 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hickson517 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hickson517 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hickson517 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hickson517 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hickson517 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hickson517 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I think writing is actually one of my strongest academic abilities. So I pride myself on having a good resume and exceptional written communication. But the ONLY IT job I applied for before I decided to do the A+ told me my resume was just WAY TO BROAD and GENERAL(which i appreciated the unsolicited advice). And If I wanted to land an IT job I would need to consolidate my resume and make it sound like IT was my thing (but i have no IT work experience so I had nothing about my "IT skills" on there) But FUARK I like how ^^^ that sounds lmao. I will be REMAKING my resume on Friday (bcz if i pass thursday im getting yucky wit da boyz) and that phrase is definitely going in there.

Honest I mean don't say you've done **** at a professonal level that you havent done. DOn't say you've migrated windows 7 machines if all you've done was install an OS. My resume is only a page long. It had my education first, then work exerience (3 jobs that show customer service) five or so bullet points per job explaining what i did.then i have a "Comptuer sk" and under there I put knowledge of windows xp vista 7 with ability to troubleshoot basic hard software and internet issues" "experience building computers "ability to learn new programs quickly" nothing TOO in detail be acuse just bc uve done it at home doesnt mean **** to recruiters. theyre looking for professonal exp. so be honest and with your A+ you should be able to land an IT job NP.

Also have a certifications fieldon my resume that says i'm A+ certified and working on my network +
    5/29/17 - **The day I decided to take my life seriously and start approaching girls, and learning openers, mid conversation phase shifting, building an emotional and physical connection. I need to get more confident in general, and get rid of my anxiety. PM if you have helpful guy advice and can instruct me on the right material to read. Thanks.

Not AfricanAmerican (srs) JayC24's Avatar
    JayC24 is just really nice. (+1000) JayC24 is just really nice. (+1000) JayC24 is just really nice. (+1000) JayC24 is just really nice. (+1000) JayC24 is just really nice. (+1000) JayC24 is just really nice. (+1000) JayC24 is just really nice. (+1000) JayC24 is just really nice. (+1000) JayC24 is just really nice. (+1000) JayC24 is just really nice. (+1000) JayC24 is just really nice. (+1000)
    sup brahs.. looking to get into help desk work to get my foot in somewhere after being self-employed (internet/affiliated marketing) the last 4 years. graduated with a BS in computer information technology in 2011 and worked as a pc technician for the summers of 08/09/10 during school and that's my only experience, i think it's holding me back these last couple months of applying to 6-7 places for help desk positions seeing as how i haven't even got an interview yet. not much available where I live at the moment.

thinking about going for an A+ or Network+ certification to help with the resume a bit if an opportunity doesn't turn up soon.
    Type 1 ginger that took MT2 for 5+ years and now getting mistaken for African descent crew:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167225761

Finasteride or die crew:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172813221

Originally Posted by JayC24 View Post
    sup brahs.. looking to get into help desk work to get my foot in somewhere after being self-employed (internet/affiliated marketing) the last 4 years. graduated with a BS in computer information technology in 2011 and worked as a pc technician for the summers of 08/09/10 during school and that's my only experience, i think it's holding me back these last couple months of applying to 6-7 places for help desk positions seeing as how i haven't even got an interview yet. not much available where I live at the moment.

thinking about going for an A+ or Network+ certification to help with the resume a bit if an opportunity doesn't turn up soon.

Im also looking to get into the Help Desk side of IT but it seems like every Help Desk employer wants you to have three years of experience in Help Desk. Its rediculus.

Honest I mean don't say you've done **** at a professonal level that you havent done. DOn't say you've migrated windows 7 machines if all you've done was install an OS. My resume is only a page long. It had my education first, then work exerience (3 jobs that show customer service) five or so bullet points per job explaining what i did.then i have a "Comptuer sk" and under there I put knowledge of windows xp vista 7 with ability to troubleshoot basic hard software and internet issues" "experience building computers "ability to learn new programs quickly" nothing TOO in detail be acuse just bc uve done it at home doesnt mean **** to recruiters. theyre looking for professonal exp. so be honest and with your A+ you should be able to land an IT job NP.

Also have a certifications fieldon my resume that says i'm A+ certified and working on my network +

This is so wrong it's not even funny. Bruhs, you NEVER want to downgrade yourself on your resume. Doing stuff at home is what gets a lot of people jobs. If you're going for a Cisco job, you can talk about your home lab. How you have all your routers and switches connected and functioning together. If you're going for a sysadmin job, you could have an employer log into your server via server essentials to view your resume. Jobs eat this chit up for sure. Idk what this guy is talking about, but it's so inaccurate. You NEVER undermine, or you'll never get anywhere. FYI, my source for this is my old professor. An IT manager at a huge software company that makes 150K a year and he's only 30.

*Official IT Thread CEO*

Honestly, that's way to low. You should be applying to 6-7 jobs a DAY. Before I got this job, I would apply to at least 20 a day (srs). There's IT everywhere bruh, just keep hustling.

*Official IT Thread CEO*

Im also looking to get into the Help Desk side of IT but it seems like every Help Desk employer wants you to have three years of experience in Help Desk. Its rediculus.
    Just keep applying and set chit up at home for experience bruh. Go look on Craigslist and buy yourself a cheap server. Install server 2008 or 2012, set up Active Directory, create users, do simple things. Every single thing that you do helps.

*Official IT Thread CEO*

This is so wrong it's not even funny. Bruhs, you NEVER want to downgrade yourself on your resume. Doing stuff at home is what gets a lot of people jobs. If you're going for a Cisco job, you can talk about your home lab. How you have all your routers and switches connected and functioning together. If you're going for a sysadmin job, you could have an employer log into your server via server essentials to view your resume. Jobs eat this chit up for sure. Idk what this guy is talking about, but it's so inaccurate. You NEVER undermine, or you'll never get anywhere. FYI, my source for this is my old professor. An IT manager at a huge software company that makes 150K a year and he's only 30.
    Yeah I totally agree. I believe a small amount of arrogance goes a long way. People like leaders, people who do not second guess themselves and believe in themselves.

The question that got me my last job was the interviewer's final question:

Interviewer: "If we had someone else with all the same qualifications as you, why do you think we might hire them over you?"
    Me: "uhhhh.... hmmmm.... well maybe they have more experience in this specific field or better qualifications?"
    Interviewer: "No you two have the same experience and qualifications."
    Me: "Honestly, I cant think of anything. There is no good reason to hire someone else over me. I am perfectly qualified for this job. And not only do I know I will succeed, I plan to excel at my position."

She told me she has one more interview, but to stay close because I had the position already...

Another Tip for interviews because I totally believe that's my strong suit and why I find jobs so easily: SMILE! SMILE! SMILE! Even if u feel like a ****ing idiot. Just being thinking about zyzz in ur ****ing head, and how ****ing jacked you are, and how qualified you are, and how happy you are to go hit happy hour once u get outta that bitch, and how ur gonna crush the interview then go crush the gym later. EVEN IF UR FAKING THOSE FEELINGS FAKE THEM BECUASE THEY = REAL SMILES. TRUST ME. GENUINE SMILES KILL PEOPLE. Even if its a dude interviewing you hes gonna be like "Why the Phuck is this dude so god damn happy?" and trust me that's a good thought for you to leave them thinking about...
    Are you not entertained?

MFC #32

It's All About the U

Not AfricanAmerican (srs) JayC24's Avatar
    JayC24 is just really nice. (+1000) JayC24 is just really nice. (+1000) JayC24 is just really nice. (+1000) JayC24 is just really nice. (+1000) JayC24 is just really nice. (+1000) JayC24 is just really nice. (+1000) JayC24 is just really nice. (+1000) JayC24 is just really nice. (+1000) JayC24 is just really nice. (+1000) JayC24 is just really nice. (+1000) JayC24 is just really nice. (+1000)
    anyone have links to study guide ebooks for the a+ or network+ exams?
    Type 1 ginger that took MT2 for 5+ years and now getting mistaken for African descent crew:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167225761

Finasteride or die crew:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172813221

google search "A+ rapid review pdf" You'll find a free DL. Its the one book I used. It follows all the test objectives and I feel it did a good job preparing me in general for the types of things I'd see on the test. + https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCke...Z9PLsoGRtml2FQ <==== That youtube channel IS ALSO GOAT . And I feel confident. But I'll let you know tmrw how I did on the 801 :3
    Are you not entertained?

MFC #32

It's All About the U

whitepaper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) whitepaper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) whitepaper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) whitepaper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) whitepaper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) whitepaper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) whitepaper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) whitepaper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) whitepaper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) whitepaper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) whitepaper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Ayyyyyyyyyyyyyy. Post some pics and give a rundown of your home setups, I'd love to get some ideas.

Work doesn't provide much in the way of getting my hands into networking just yet, and I want ideas for what I can do at home.

Having a really hard time justifying building a home network to play with, that will actually have some use aside from draining my electricity. Biggest problem is, no one at home is really wired/nor cares to be. Everyone is on their phones, or some mobile device, so I can't really justify getting any l2 devices to play with. Just have a basic router that does everything.

No need for a NAS as I don't have much media/file storage (everyone at home pretty much uses netflix), everything's just DAS of some sort, with an external drive for backing up critical stuff.

All I could really think of is getting some firewall appliance, but that's it.

Any practical ideas?
    2014 Misc Resolution: Negging no pics (screen captures of text don't count as pics)

HairyWBush Reps for life - Hamster Compassion: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=181804893

IawI is not very helpful. (-500) IawI is not very helpful. (-500) IawI is not very helpful. (-500) IawI is not very helpful. (-500) IawI is not very helpful. (-500) IawI is not very helpful. (-500) IawI is not very helpful. (-500) IawI is not very helpful. (-500) IawI is not very helpful. (-500) IawI is not very helpful. (-500) IawI is not very helpful. (-500)
    Just got my first IT job doing installations at the biggest hospital in Jacksonville. They have 6 different locations and are still growing. Nothing too technical, but with no certs, degree, or experience, this is a great opportunity for me. My buddy started doing this and is now on the help desk for them making $22.75/hr with only his A+. This is essentially my foot in the door, and $15/hour is a pretty good start IMO considering where I live has a low cost of living. Working towards my A+ hopefully going to follow the same path that he did.

So f*cking happy to get out of waiting tables and actually doing something towards a career.

iheartmoms is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iheartmoms is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iheartmoms is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iheartmoms is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iheartmoms is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iheartmoms is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iheartmoms is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iheartmoms is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iheartmoms is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iheartmoms is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iheartmoms is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Exam Cram is supposed to be highly recommended: http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-220-80.../dp/0789749718

Just picked it up myself and its easy reading, gives you all the chit you need to know and no extra bullchit.

So what's up brahs? Have a 2 year degree in programming and currently studying for A+. Then going to go for sec+ / net+ and finally maybe some sort of Linux cert. Currently doing software technical support to earn some dough/experience while I look at going back to college for a BA in CIS on top of the certs.

I was looking at Sysadmin jobs and it looks like something I would enjoy more then being a developer. Less programming, but still have the opportunity to do it. What kind of other jobs exist in that realm (sysadmin) where you do a little bit of programming/scripting? Any advice for becoming a sysadmin? Is helpdesk pretty much mandatory as a stepping stone? Tips? Tricks?

Peaceoutbye

Originally Posted by IawI View Post
    Just got my first IT job doing installations at the biggest hospital in Jacksonville. They have 6 different locations and are still growing. Nothing too technical, but with no certs, degree, or experience, this is a great opportunity for me. My buddy started doing this and is now on the help desk for them making $22.75/hr with only his A+. This is essentially my foot in the door, and $15/hour is a pretty good start IMO considering where I live has a low cost of living. Working towards my A+ hopefully going to follow the same path that he did.

So f*cking happy to get out of waiting tables and actually doing something towards a career.
    My cousin lives up there. Cost of living is great. I just DO NOT want to leave Miami if I dont have too :3 Hopefully I can find something $15+/hr starting. Id be as happy as a pig in ****
    Are you not entertained?

MFC #32

It's All About the U

FUARRRRK BRO's. Test in a couple hours. May the gods of the Olympia and zyzz be smiling upon me
    Are you not entertained?

MFC #32

It's All About the U

Criollo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Criollo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Criollo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Criollo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Criollo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Criollo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Criollo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Criollo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Criollo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Criollo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Criollo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by whitepaper View Post
    Ayyyyyyyyyyyyyy. Post some pics and give a rundown of your home setups, I'd love to get some ideas.

Work doesn't provide much in the way of getting my hands into networking just yet, and I want ideas for what I can do at home.

Having a really hard time justifying building a home network to play with, that will actually have some use aside from draining my electricity. Biggest problem is, no one at home is really wired/nor cares to be. Everyone is on their phones, or some mobile device, so I can't really justify getting any l2 devices to play with. Just have a basic router that does everything.

No need for a NAS as I don't have much media/file storage (everyone at home pretty much uses netflix), everything's just DAS of some sort, with an external drive for backing up critical stuff.

Any practical ideas?
    if you just want to fuk around with building a network get cisco packet tracer. great way to learn how to build and set up networks
    "I dont mean bitch in a disrespectful way, I mean bitch as a general term for women" Kratos, son of Zues
    PC+Xbox1+PS4+WiiU true master race. Can't we all get along?
    ***Tom Clancy's: The Division "Kill all betas"/Survival of the Fittest*** Crew
    I will take your stuff in darkzone even if you are my friend, deal with it.

Originally Posted by whitepaper View Post

Any practical ideas?

Go on Craigslist. Pick up a couple cisco routers and switches. Link them all together and make them all work . You can get a full set for 200 or cheaper.

*Official IT Thread CEO*

Originally Posted by IawI View Post

Congrats my dude! Just keep learning brother, that's the best advice. Wake up 15 mins earlier everyday to ready 5 pages, do home labs, pick up VMware and mess around with VMs. Anything and everything will help you in your journey.

*Official IT Thread CEO*

Originally Posted by iheartmoms View Post
    Exam Cram is supposed to be highly recommended: http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-220-80.../dp/0789749718

Just picked it up myself and its easy reading, gives you all the chit you need to know and no extra bullchit.

So what's up brahs? Have a 2 year degree in programming and currently studying for A+. Then going to go for sec+ / net+ and finally maybe some sort of Linux cert. Currently doing software technical support to earn some dough/experience while I look at going back to college for a BA in CIS on top of the certs.

I was looking at Sysadmin jobs and it looks like something I would enjoy more then being a developer. Less programming, but still have the opportunity to do it. What kind of other jobs exist in that realm (sysadmin) where you do a little bit of programming/scripting? Any advice for becoming a sysadmin? Is helpdesk pretty much mandatory as a stepping stone? Tips? Tricks?

Peaceoutbye
    Hey bruh,

That's awesome. I'm planning on trying to go back to school myself. I'm currently a sysadmin for a pretty large MSP.

You can pretty much do scripting for any type of job. I want to start learning powershell because it's becoming really popular. The best advice I have for you is keep reading and learning. Set up a lab at home and screw around with stuff. That's the best way to learn.

Yeah, need to start in helpdesk. No way to get a job in IT without that. You can't come outa school and say "hey, I'm going to be a sysadmin!". Then someone asks you about GPO's and OU's and you look at them like they're crazy. Definitely start out in helpdesk for a good company and you'll learn a lot.

*Official IT Thread CEO*

FUARRRRK BRO's. Test in a couple hours. May the gods of the Olympia and zyzz be smiling upon me

you get this bruh!

*Official IT Thread CEO*