Reply
Page 2 of 159 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 4749
  1. #31
    Registered User jerzyfit's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2012
    Location: United States
    Age: 28
    Posts: 4,594
    Rep Power: 14873
    jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    jerzyfit is offline
    Originally Posted by Criollo View Post
    if you just want to fuk around with building a network get cisco packet tracer. great way to learn how to build and set up networks

    It's better to have actual lab equipment. Yeah, Packet Tracer is fine, but having the equipment will teach you so much more.
    *Rest In Peace Dad. I miss you every second of every day 03/13/2013*

    *Official Dodge Truck Crew CEO*
    *Official IT Thread CEO*
    Reply With Quote

  2. #32
    Registered User mattrunks's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2012
    Location: Melbourne, Australia
    Posts: 1,990
    Rep Power: 1786
    mattrunks is just really nice. (+1000) mattrunks is just really nice. (+1000) mattrunks is just really nice. (+1000) mattrunks is just really nice. (+1000) mattrunks is just really nice. (+1000) mattrunks is just really nice. (+1000) mattrunks is just really nice. (+1000) mattrunks is just really nice. (+1000) mattrunks is just really nice. (+1000) mattrunks is just really nice. (+1000) mattrunks is just really nice. (+1000)
    mattrunks is offline
    have two semesters before i finish my associate's in information technology, the course also teaches CCNA routing and switching 1-4 although doesn't include the certification which i will have to sit externally on my own.

    also started intro to cybersecurity through the cisco academy website, might sit the CCNA security as well.
    for anyone else interested in security, strongly recommend the hacking exposed book series written by renowned security experts, learnt a lot so far with the book.

    here is link
    http://it-ebooks.info/book/1096/
    my favourite idiom "You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" #nohomo
    Reply With Quote

  3. #33
    Registered User jerzyfit's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2012
    Location: United States
    Age: 28
    Posts: 4,594
    Rep Power: 14873
    jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    jerzyfit is offline
    Originally Posted by whitepaper View Post
    Ayyyyyyyyyyyyyy. Post some pics and give a rundown of your home setups, I'd love to get some ideas.

    Work doesn't provide much in the way of getting my hands into networking just yet, and I want ideas for what I can do at home.

    Having a really hard time justifying building a home network to play with, that will actually have some use aside from draining my electricity. Biggest problem is, no one at home is really wired/nor cares to be. Everyone is on their phones, or some mobile device, so I can't really justify getting any l2 devices to play with. Just have a basic router that does everything.

    No need for a NAS as I don't have much media/file storage (everyone at home pretty much uses netflix), everything's just DAS of some sort, with an external drive for backing up critical stuff.

    All I could really think of is getting some firewall appliance, but that's it.

    Any practical ideas?
    Here's my setup. My server is under my desk.


    *Rest In Peace Dad. I miss you every second of every day 03/13/2013*

    *Official Dodge Truck Crew CEO*
    *Official IT Thread CEO*
    Reply With Quote

  4. #34
    Don't try. Do. omnip0tent's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2007
    Location: Florida, United States
    Age: 30
    Posts: 9,097
    Rep Power: 49872
    omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    omnip0tent is offline
    My testing center was under renovations and they were "supposed to be closed" and didn't think i would show up to the test (uwot?). After some stern words they reconnected 1 computer in their testing center for me and let me do it unproctered and everything. It felt very unprofessional, they didn't even know what papers to make me sign n **** afterwards, they just told me to sign the bottom and they'd do the rest. I was the ONLY person in the building minus 1 secretary girl and the construction dudes... Either way phuck all that noise, 801 down. 802 on thursday



    CHEA
    Are you not entertained?

    MFC #32

    It's All About the U
    Reply With Quote

  5. #35
    Registered User jerzyfit's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2012
    Location: United States
    Age: 28
    Posts: 4,594
    Rep Power: 14873
    jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    jerzyfit is offline
    Originally Posted by mattrunks View Post
    have two semesters before i finish my associate's in information technology, the course also teaches CCNA routing and switching 1-4 although doesn't include the certification which i will have to sit externally on my own.

    also started intro to cybersecurity through the cisco academy website, might sit the CCNA security as well.
    for anyone else interested in security, strongly recommend the hacking exposed book series written by renowned security experts, learnt a lot so far with the book.

    here is link
    http://it-ebooks.info/book/1096/

    Nice bruh, thanks. You doing your BA after? I went to a tech school. I really want to go back and get my degree.
    *Rest In Peace Dad. I miss you every second of every day 03/13/2013*

    *Official Dodge Truck Crew CEO*
    *Official IT Thread CEO*
    Reply With Quote

  6. #36
    Registered User jerzyfit's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2012
    Location: United States
    Age: 28
    Posts: 4,594
    Rep Power: 14873
    jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    jerzyfit is offline
    Originally Posted by omnip0tent View Post
    My testing center was under renovations and they were "supposed to be closed" and didn't think i would show up to the test (uwot?). After some stern words they reconnected 1 computer in their testing center for me and let me do it unproctered and everything. It felt very unprofessional, they didn't even know what papers to make me sign n **** afterwards, they just told me to sign the bottom and they'd do the rest. I was the ONLY person in the building minus 1 secretary girl and the construction dudes... Either way phuck all that noise, 801 down. 802 on thursday



    CHEA

    HELL YEAHHHH bruh. Add that ish to your resume!
    *Rest In Peace Dad. I miss you every second of every day 03/13/2013*

    *Official Dodge Truck Crew CEO*
    *Official IT Thread CEO*
    Reply With Quote

  7. #37
    Not AfricanAmerican (srs) JayC24's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2011
    Posts: 1,821
    Rep Power: 2094
    JayC24 is just really nice. (+1000) JayC24 is just really nice. (+1000) JayC24 is just really nice. (+1000) JayC24 is just really nice. (+1000) JayC24 is just really nice. (+1000) JayC24 is just really nice. (+1000) JayC24 is just really nice. (+1000) JayC24 is just really nice. (+1000) JayC24 is just really nice. (+1000) JayC24 is just really nice. (+1000) JayC24 is just really nice. (+1000)
    JayC24 is offline
    Originally Posted by IawI View Post
    Just got my first IT job doing installations at the biggest hospital in Jacksonville. They have 6 different locations and are still growing. Nothing too technical, but with no certs, degree, or experience, this is a great opportunity for me. My buddy started doing this and is now on the help desk for them making $22.75/hr with only his A+. This is essentially my foot in the door, and $15/hour is a pretty good start IMO considering where I live has a low cost of living. Working towards my A+ hopefully going to follow the same path that he did.

    So f*cking happy to get out of waiting tables and actually doing something towards a career.
    congrats brah, off to a solid start.

    Originally Posted by omnip0tent View Post
    google search "A+ rapid review pdf" You'll find a free DL. Its the one book I used. It follows all the test objectives and I feel it did a good job preparing me in general for the types of things I'd see on the test. + https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCke...Z9PLsoGRtml2FQ <==== That youtube channel IS ALSO GOAT . And I feel confident. But I'll let you know tmrw how I did on the 801 :3
    Originally Posted by iheartmoms View Post
    Exam Cram is supposed to be highly recommended: http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-220-80.../dp/0789749718

    Just picked it up myself and its easy reading, gives you all the chit you need to know and no extra bullchit.
    thanks. also found a couple other a+ and network+ study guides pretty easy through a couple torrent sites, amazon shows them highly rated so i'll have plenty of reading to do it looks like.
    Type 1 ginger that took MT2 for 5+ years and now getting mistaken for African descent crew:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167225761

    Finasteride or die crew:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172813221
    Reply With Quote

  8. #38
    Registered User SynapticCleft's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2011
    Location: Boston, Massachusetts, United States
    Posts: 6,531
    Rep Power: 31615
    SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    SynapticCleft is offline
    Originally Posted by jerzyfit View Post
    It's better to have actual lab equipment. Yeah, Packet Tracer is fine, but having the equipment will teach you so much more.
    this x1000

    There is only so much Packet Tracer can teach you. For instance piping command and some show commands like environment, inventory, process and controllers do not work on PT. You can play around on GNS3 since you can use real Cisco IOS versions, but obtaining a Cisco IOS might be troublesome if you don't have a Cisco acct with valid authorization.

    I built a small network rack for myself by buying used Cisco gear off ebay. For routers I suggest a 2811 and for switches 3550 (if you can afford) since you can practice L3 switching, if not just get a 2960 switch they are cheap as phuck. I spent about $100 for my router and switch with shipping included.

    If any of you brahs need the IOS for a 2811 router or 2960 switch just shoot me a PM.

    But you should still practice the basics off Packet Tracer or GNS3 before diving into actual equipment
    Last edited by SynapticCleft; 05-26-2015 at 06:47 PM.
    Reply With Quote

  9. #39
    Registered User jerzyfit's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2012
    Location: United States
    Age: 28
    Posts: 4,594
    Rep Power: 14873
    jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    jerzyfit is offline
    Originally Posted by SynapticCleft View Post
    this x1000

    There is only so much Packet Tracer can teach you. For instance piping command and some show commands like environment, inventory, process and controllers do not work on PT. You can play around on GNS3 since you can use real Cisco IOS versions, but obtaining a Cisco IOS might be troublesome if you don't have a Cisco acct with valid authorization.

    I built a small network rack for myself by buying used Cisco gear off ebay. For routers I suggest a 2811 and for switches 3550 (if you can afford) since you can practice L3 switching, if not just get a 2960 switch they are cheap as phuck. I spent about $100 for my router and switch with shipping included.

    If any of you brahs need the IOS for a 2811 router or 2960 switch just shoot me a PM.
    Thanks for participating in the thread bruh. Craigslist is awesome for hardware. I got a power edge T410 for 200 bucks.
    *Rest In Peace Dad. I miss you every second of every day 03/13/2013*

    *Official Dodge Truck Crew CEO*
    *Official IT Thread CEO*
    Reply With Quote

  10. #40
    Registered User whitepaper's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2011
    Posts: 9,522
    Rep Power: 19505
    whitepaper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) whitepaper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) whitepaper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) whitepaper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) whitepaper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) whitepaper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) whitepaper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) whitepaper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) whitepaper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) whitepaper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) whitepaper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    whitepaper is offline
    Originally Posted by Criollo View Post
    if you just want to fuk around with building a network get cisco packet tracer. great way to learn how to build and set up networks
    Originally Posted by jerzyfit View Post
    Go on Craigslist. Pick up a couple cisco routers and switches. Link them all together and make them all work . You can get a full set for 200 or cheaper.
    Yeah, I've looked around and found some good stuff for a decently cheap price. I was just hoping that I could get creative some way and use things that actually provide me with some functionality, aside from just playing around with.

    Will look into the packet tracer, I suppose, and consider that firewall appliance.
    Last edited by whitepaper; 05-26-2015 at 06:50 PM.
    2014 Misc Resolution: Negging no pics (screen captures of text don't count as pics)
    Reply With Quote

  11. #41
    Don't try. Do. omnip0tent's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2007
    Location: Florida, United States
    Age: 30
    Posts: 9,097
    Rep Power: 49872
    omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    omnip0tent is offline
    What do you guys do with all these "home servers/networks"? I wouldn't even know where to begin. **** my comp is hooked up to my ****ty comcast router, and i've hooked up every other device in my house to the network? Is that kinda the same ****?? lol
    Are you not entertained?

    MFC #32

    It's All About the U
    Reply With Quote

  12. #42
    Registered User SynapticCleft's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2011
    Location: Boston, Massachusetts, United States
    Posts: 6,531
    Rep Power: 31615
    SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    SynapticCleft is offline
    Originally Posted by omnip0tent View Post
    What do you guys do with all these "home servers/networks"? I wouldn't even know where to begin. **** my comp is hooked up to my ****ty comcast router, and i've hooked up every other device in my house to the network? Is that kinda the same ****?? lol
    Pretty much. I like having the ability to access my files from where ever I go and the other servers were personal projects that I thought were hilarious/interdasting.

    Had fun with my roommates who are also miscers, when I redirected facebook to pornhub and the misc to reddit with a VM that ran as my DNS server in my lan environment.

    You don't need alot of equipment for servers, just a very good computer that can handle tons of virtual machines.
    Reply With Quote

  13. #43
    Don't try. Do. omnip0tent's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2007
    Location: Florida, United States
    Age: 30
    Posts: 9,097
    Rep Power: 49872
    omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    omnip0tent is offline
    Originally Posted by SynapticCleft View Post
    Pretty much. I like having the ability to access my files from where ever I go and the other servers were personal projects that I thought were hilarious/interdasting.

    Had fun with my roommates who are also miscers, when I redirected facebook to pornhub and the misc to reddit with a VM that ran as my DNS server in my lan environment.

    You don't need alot of equipment for servers, just a very good computer that can handle tons of virtual machines.
    OIC. Alot of stuff that would be useful in a professional environment. Or to nerd the **** out for lolz/useful shiz. I'm was just thinking very basic
    Are you not entertained?

    MFC #32

    It's All About the U
    Reply With Quote

  14. #44
    Registered User 3Crutchez's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2015
    Age: 29
    Posts: 92
    Rep Power: 169
    3Crutchez will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3Crutchez will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3Crutchez will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3Crutchez will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3Crutchez will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3Crutchez will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3Crutchez will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3Crutchez will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3Crutchez will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3Crutchez will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3Crutchez will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    3Crutchez is offline
    Rarely post but I'll chime in.

    Graduated last year with a degree in Computer Engineering Technology. Decided to get my CCNA in December, studied my ass off. Supplemented with GNS3

    Job search has been tough for me, partly because I have no experience and a disability. I've interviewed for a few Junior Net/Sysadmin type jobs but I feel I inevitably get discriminated because I can't do a lot of the rack and stack grunt work. I also can't drive in an area where having a license is pretty essential. I'm normally pretty positive about things but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little down about not having this aspect of my life sorted out.
    Reply With Quote

  15. #45
    Registered User mattrunks's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2012
    Location: Melbourne, Australia
    Posts: 1,990
    Rep Power: 1786
    mattrunks is just really nice. (+1000) mattrunks is just really nice. (+1000) mattrunks is just really nice. (+1000) mattrunks is just really nice. (+1000) mattrunks is just really nice. (+1000) mattrunks is just really nice. (+1000) mattrunks is just really nice. (+1000) mattrunks is just really nice. (+1000) mattrunks is just really nice. (+1000) mattrunks is just really nice. (+1000) mattrunks is just really nice. (+1000)
    mattrunks is offline
    Originally Posted by jerzyfit View Post
    Nice bruh, thanks. You doing your BA after? I went to a tech school. I really want to go back and get my degree.
    I could do my BA but i honestly don't think its worth it, it'll take me another year if i just use my credits but id still have to do another 8 subjects. in IT all you really need is vendor certification and some experience under your belt. most people i know in IT don't even have a degree, just experience and vendor certs.
    my favourite idiom "You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" #nohomo
    Reply With Quote

  16. #46
    Registered User iheartmoms's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2013
    Posts: 674
    Rep Power: 871
    iheartmoms is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iheartmoms is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iheartmoms is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iheartmoms is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iheartmoms is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iheartmoms is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iheartmoms is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iheartmoms is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iheartmoms is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iheartmoms is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iheartmoms is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    iheartmoms is offline
    Originally Posted by jerzyfit View Post
    Hey bruh,

    That's awesome. I'm planning on trying to go back to school myself. I'm currently a sysadmin for a pretty large MSP.

    You can pretty much do scripting for any type of job. I want to start learning powershell because it's becoming really popular. The best advice I have for you is keep reading and learning. Set up a lab at home and screw around with stuff. That's the best way to learn.

    Yeah, need to start in helpdesk. No way to get a job in IT without that. You can't come outa school and say "hey, I'm going to be a sysadmin!". Then someone asks you about GPO's and OU's and you look at them like they're crazy. Definitely start out in helpdesk for a good company and you'll learn a lot.
    Should I just stick with Windows over Linux? I've used Windows my whole life and know a great deal about it. Feel like I could learn faster on something I already have a strong foundation with.

    Nice! How do you like being a sysadmin? What are you thinking of going back to school for? Trying to switch to a different job?

    Originally Posted by 3Crutchez View Post
    Rarely post but I'll chime in.

    Graduated last year with a degree in Computer Engineering Technology. Decided to get my CCNA in December, studied my ass off. Supplemented with GNS3

    Job search has been tough for me, partly because I have no experience and a disability. I've interviewed for a few Junior Net/Sysadmin type jobs but I feel I inevitably get discriminated because I can't do a lot of the rack and stack grunt work. I also can't drive in an area where having a license is pretty essential. I'm normally pretty positive about things but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little down about not having this aspect of my life sorted out.
    Congrats on the degree and certs! Are you open to/able to move to another city for a job where driving wont be a necessary?

    Regardless, keep hustling man and don't let it get you down. Searching for a job is stressful and at times can make you feel hopeless. Just keep applying, practicing your skills at home, and eventually someone will bite.

    Originally Posted by omnip0tent View Post
    My testing center was under renovations and they were "supposed to be closed" and didn't think i would show up to the test (uwot?). After some stern words they reconnected 1 computer in their testing center for me and let me do it unproctered and everything. It felt very unprofessional, they didn't even know what papers to make me sign n **** afterwards, they just told me to sign the bottom and they'd do the rest. I was the ONLY person in the building minus 1 secretary girl and the construction dudes... Either way phuck all that noise, 801 down. 802 on thursday

    CHEA
    Nice brah, congrats! Walk in that building on Thursday and make 802 your bish
    Reply With Quote

  17. #47
    Certified Baconator DLM012's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2013
    Location: Ohio, United States
    Age: 26
    Posts: 4,570
    Rep Power: 10834
    DLM012 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DLM012 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DLM012 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DLM012 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DLM012 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DLM012 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DLM012 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DLM012 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DLM012 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DLM012 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DLM012 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    DLM012 is offline
    In

    Currently working as a contractor for a large health organization on the service desk answering incoming phone calls for several hospitals. 70% of my day consists of pw resets, 20% instructing people to power cycle printers, and 10% random issues. I've been working here for 6 months maybe more and while there is still plenty for me to learn about the environment, it's just not challenging anymore and every day is a grind now because I'm so bored with it.

    Supposedly I'll be getting field training (level 2) and transferred to a different campus soon but they've been saying that to me for weeks now. Not sure if I'm getting the runaround bs or if they're still trying to find the right time. My contract was extended till September, beyond that I don't know what's gonna happen.

    Associates in Network and Systems Administration so I know about Cisco hardware. No certs at all at the moment.

    Speaking of home networks, I intend on building a NAS fairly soon when money permits. I might need some help setting it up for external use though. Not sure how all of that works.
    *MFC*
    *KNEE DRAGGERS UNITE*
    *GSD Master Race Crew*
    *Currently Making it Crew*
    *Registered spreadsheet abuser*
    Reply With Quote

  18. #48
    Registered User sknot1454's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2006
    Location: United States
    Posts: 9,821
    Rep Power: 50320
    sknot1454 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sknot1454 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sknot1454 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sknot1454 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sknot1454 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sknot1454 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sknot1454 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sknot1454 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sknot1454 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sknot1454 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sknot1454 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    sknot1454 is offline
    Some cliff-notes for those interested in the cyber security field and where it's headed.

    1. learn Splunk
    2. learn python
    3. learn powershell
    4. learn basic RE techniques and how to use some populat debuggers like IDA
    5. learn some basic forensic analysis techniques (corey harrell has a great blog called "Journey into IR"). Get familiar with some of the tools. Some of the best ones are free and come with security distros like REMNUX
    6. start following some of the more prominent penetration testers and their blogs like carlos perez, matt graeber, raph mudge, chris truncer, rob fuller, etc. There's invaluable information to be learned about offensive security trade craft and how you can defend as a "blue teamer".
    7. find some local CCDC events and go volunteer. The networking opportunities are priceless and you can get some real hands on experience.
    8. BUILD A LAB. If you have a decent PC you can run Virtual Box and set up a small Windows network to play around on. Reading books won't help if you can't get hands on keyboard.
    9. If one exists, join a local cyber security club chapter like the ISSA, for example. https://www.issa.org/
    Last edited by sknot1454; 05-27-2015 at 07:52 AM.
    Reply With Quote

  19. #49
    Don't try. Do. omnip0tent's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2007
    Location: Florida, United States
    Age: 30
    Posts: 9,097
    Rep Power: 49872
    omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    omnip0tent is offline
    Originally Posted by sknot1454 View Post
    Some cliff-notes for those interested in the cyber security field and where it's headed.

    1. learn Splunk
    2. learn python
    3. learn powershell
    4. learn basic RE techniques and how to use some populat debuggers like IDA
    5. learn some basic forensic analysis techniques (corey harrell has a great blog called "Journey into IR"). Get familiar with some of the tools. Some of the best ones are free and come with security distros like REMNUX
    6. start following some of the more prominent penetration testers and their blogs like carlos perez, matt graeber, raph mudge, chris truncer, rob fuller, etc. There's invaluable information to be learned about offensive security trade craft and how you can defend as a "blue teamer".
    7. find some local CCDC events and go volunteer. The networking opportunities are priceless and you can get some real hands on experience.
    8. BUILD A LAB. If you have a decent PC you can run Virtual Box and set up a small Windows network to play around on. Reading books won't help if you can't get hands on keyboard.
    9. If one exists, join a local cyber security club chapter like the ISSA, for example. https://www.issa.org/
    Hopefully If i pass my 802 tmrw I'll be A+ certified, and be able to find myself a nice entry level IT gig. IT just seems so broad I have no idea where I want to focus my energy/studies next...
    Are you not entertained?

    MFC #32

    It's All About the U
    Reply With Quote

  20. #50
    Registered User jerzyfit's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2012
    Location: United States
    Age: 28
    Posts: 4,594
    Rep Power: 14873
    jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    jerzyfit is offline
    Originally Posted by whitepaper View Post
    Yeah, I've looked around and found some good stuff for a decently cheap price. I was just hoping that I could get creative some way and use things that actually provide me with some functionality, aside from just playing around with.

    Will look into the packet tracer, I suppose, and consider that firewall appliance.

    The point in getting the stuff is to play around with it. You can technically use it all to route all of your traffic, that's up to you. Going into a job with just Packet Tracer knowledge isn't going to get you the position. But hey, do what ya wanna do.
    *Rest In Peace Dad. I miss you every second of every day 03/13/2013*

    *Official Dodge Truck Crew CEO*
    *Official IT Thread CEO*
    Reply With Quote

  21. #51
    Registered User jerzyfit's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2012
    Location: United States
    Age: 28
    Posts: 4,594
    Rep Power: 14873
    jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    jerzyfit is offline
    Originally Posted by SynapticCleft View Post
    Pretty much. I like having the ability to access my files from where ever I go and the other servers were personal projects that I thought were hilarious/interdasting.

    Had fun with my roommates who are also miscers, when I redirected facebook to pornhub and the misc to reddit with a VM that ran as my DNS server in my lan environment.

    You don't need alot of equipment for servers, just a very good computer that can handle tons of virtual machines.

    You can do everything virtually. It's just nice to have the actual equipment and know it when you go for the interview.
    *Rest In Peace Dad. I miss you every second of every day 03/13/2013*

    *Official Dodge Truck Crew CEO*
    *Official IT Thread CEO*
    Reply With Quote

  22. #52
    Registered User jerzyfit's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2012
    Location: United States
    Age: 28
    Posts: 4,594
    Rep Power: 14873
    jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    jerzyfit is offline
    Originally Posted by 3Crutchez View Post
    Rarely post but I'll chime in.

    Graduated last year with a degree in Computer Engineering Technology. Decided to get my CCNA in December, studied my ass off. Supplemented with GNS3

    Job search has been tough for me, partly because I have no experience and a disability. I've interviewed for a few Junior Net/Sysadmin type jobs but I feel I inevitably get discriminated because I can't do a lot of the rack and stack grunt work. I also can't drive in an area where having a license is pretty essential. I'm normally pretty positive about things but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little down about not having this aspect of my life sorted out.

    You're going to make it bruh. Trust me, we all of doubts at times. The important thing is to keep your head up and keep hustling.
    *Rest In Peace Dad. I miss you every second of every day 03/13/2013*

    *Official Dodge Truck Crew CEO*
    *Official IT Thread CEO*
    Reply With Quote

  23. #53
    Registered User jerzyfit's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2012
    Location: United States
    Age: 28
    Posts: 4,594
    Rep Power: 14873
    jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    jerzyfit is offline
    Originally Posted by iheartmoms View Post
    Should I just stick with Windows over Linux? I've used Windows my whole life and know a great deal about it. Feel like I could learn faster on something I already have a strong foundation with.

    Nice! How do you like being a sysadmin? What are you thinking of going back to school for? Trying to switch to a different job?
    Honestly bro, it's up to you. They are both great avenues. Windows is obviously more broad, but Linux Admin jobs are awesome as well.

    Nope, not really. I kind of just wanna do it to say I did it. I like it, annoying at times, but it's cool.
    *Rest In Peace Dad. I miss you every second of every day 03/13/2013*

    *Official Dodge Truck Crew CEO*
    *Official IT Thread CEO*
    Reply With Quote

  24. #54
    Registered User jerzyfit's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2012
    Location: United States
    Age: 28
    Posts: 4,594
    Rep Power: 14873
    jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    jerzyfit is offline
    Originally Posted by DLM012 View Post
    In

    Currently working as a contractor for a large health organization on the service desk answering incoming phone calls for several hospitals. 70% of my day consists of pw resets, 20% instructing people to power cycle printers, and 10% random issues. I've been working here for 6 months maybe more and while there is still plenty for me to learn about the environment, it's just not challenging anymore and every day is a grind now because I'm so bored with it.

    Supposedly I'll be getting field training (level 2) and transferred to a different campus soon but they've been saying that to me for weeks now. Not sure if I'm getting the runaround bs or if they're still trying to find the right time. My contract was extended till September, beyond that I don't know what's gonna happen.

    Associates in Network and Systems Administration so I know about Cisco hardware. No certs at all at the moment.

    Speaking of home networks, I intend on building a NAS fairly soon when money permits. I might need some help setting it up for external use though. Not sure how all of that works.

    Nice bro, good chit. Keep hustling and keep asking for more and more to do. Setting up the NAS for outbound is pretty much just opening the correct ports on your all-in-one, your router, or L3 switch. Depending on which one of those you have,
    *Rest In Peace Dad. I miss you every second of every day 03/13/2013*

    *Official Dodge Truck Crew CEO*
    *Official IT Thread CEO*
    Reply With Quote

  25. #55
    Registered User jerzyfit's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2012
    Location: United States
    Age: 28
    Posts: 4,594
    Rep Power: 14873
    jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    jerzyfit is offline
    Originally Posted by sknot1454 View Post
    Some cliff-notes for those interested in the cyber security field and where it's headed.

    1. learn Splunk
    2. learn python
    3. learn powershell
    4. learn basic RE techniques and how to use some populat debuggers like IDA
    5. learn some basic forensic analysis techniques (corey harrell has a great blog called "Journey into IR"). Get familiar with some of the tools. Some of the best ones are free and come with security distros like REMNUX
    6. start following some of the more prominent penetration testers and their blogs like carlos perez, matt graeber, raph mudge, chris truncer, rob fuller, etc. There's invaluable information to be learned about offensive security trade craft and how you can defend as a "blue teamer".
    7. find some local CCDC events and go volunteer. The networking opportunities are priceless and you can get some real hands on experience.
    8. BUILD A LAB. If you have a decent PC you can run Virtual Box and set up a small Windows network to play around on. Reading books won't help if you can't get hands on keyboard.
    9. If one exists, join a local cyber security club chapter like the ISSA, for example. https://www.issa.org/

    This sounds good. I'd just like to add one thing. Download Backtrack or Kali and do some penntesting in your own envirenment. Learn about hping2 and armitage. Download Metasploit which is a Linux distro that's made to test penntesting.
    *Rest In Peace Dad. I miss you every second of every day 03/13/2013*

    *Official Dodge Truck Crew CEO*
    *Official IT Thread CEO*
    Reply With Quote

  26. #56
    Registered User jerzyfit's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2012
    Location: United States
    Age: 28
    Posts: 4,594
    Rep Power: 14873
    jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    jerzyfit is offline
    Originally Posted by omnip0tent View Post
    Hopefully If i pass my 802 tmrw I'll be A+ certified, and be able to find myself a nice entry level IT gig. IT just seems so broad I have no idea where I want to focus my energy/studies next...

    Once you get your first job, you'll figure it out. Hopefully you can get into an MSP where you'll be working with multiple types of technology. That way you can figure out what you really like.
    *Rest In Peace Dad. I miss you every second of every day 03/13/2013*

    *Official Dodge Truck Crew CEO*
    *Official IT Thread CEO*
    Reply With Quote

  27. #57
    Registered User sknot1454's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2006
    Location: United States
    Posts: 9,821
    Rep Power: 50320
    sknot1454 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sknot1454 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sknot1454 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sknot1454 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sknot1454 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sknot1454 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sknot1454 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sknot1454 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sknot1454 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sknot1454 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sknot1454 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    sknot1454 is offline
    Originally Posted by jerzyfit View Post
    This sounds good. I'd just like to add one thing. Download Backtrack or Kali and do some penntesting in your own envirenment. Learn about hping2 and armitage. Download Metasploit which is a Linux distro that's made to test penntesting.
    Yeah, this goes along with the whole lab setup I mentioned. Kali is awesome of course and is the OS gold standard for pen testing.

    Technically Metasploit isn't a Linux distro per se, it's a framework of tools built in Ruby FOR Linux. Trying to get on dat dere Cobaltstrike time though. Beacon is basically the best thing since sliced bread.
    Reply With Quote

  28. #58
    Registered User jerzyfit's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2012
    Location: United States
    Age: 28
    Posts: 4,594
    Rep Power: 14873
    jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    jerzyfit is offline
    Originally Posted by sknot1454 View Post
    Yeah, this goes along with the whole lab setup I mentioned. Kali is awesome of course and is the OS gold standard for pen testing.

    Technically Metasploit isn't a Linux distro per se, it's a framework of tools built in Ruby FOR Linux. Trying to get on dat dere Cobaltstrike time though. Beacon is basically the best thing since sliced bread.
    Gotcha. My apologies for not being politically correct on that one. My cyber security knowledge isn't up to par lol. Do you work in cyber security? Network security? I'm definitely going to look into your suggestions.
    *Rest In Peace Dad. I miss you every second of every day 03/13/2013*

    *Official Dodge Truck Crew CEO*
    *Official IT Thread CEO*
    Reply With Quote

  29. #59
    Certified Baconator DLM012's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2013
    Location: Ohio, United States
    Age: 26
    Posts: 4,570
    Rep Power: 10834
    DLM012 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DLM012 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DLM012 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DLM012 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DLM012 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DLM012 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DLM012 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DLM012 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DLM012 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DLM012 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DLM012 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    DLM012 is offline
    Originally Posted by jerzyfit View Post
    Nice bro, good chit. Keep hustling and keep asking for more and more to do. Setting up the NAS for outbound is pretty much just opening the correct ports on your all-in-one, your router, or L3 switch. Depending on which one of those you have,
    Thanks brah sometimes we all need to hear that. I've been writing technical docs for my team when the opportunity arises and pitched a project to my supe fairly recently but haven't heard back from him if it's a yes or no. Yet he keeps telling me, "DLM, if you think of a project let me know"

    Guess I'll have to keep bugging him. I talked to him but he told me to email it to him since he was busy that day. I'm sure it got buried.
    *MFC*
    *KNEE DRAGGERS UNITE*
    *GSD Master Race Crew*
    *Currently Making it Crew*
    *Registered spreadsheet abuser*
    Reply With Quote

  30. #60
    Registered User jerzyfit's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2012
    Location: United States
    Age: 28
    Posts: 4,594
    Rep Power: 14873
    jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    jerzyfit is offline
    Originally Posted by DLM012 View Post
    Thanks brah sometimes we all need to hear that. I've been writing technical docs for my team when the opportunity arises and pitched a project to my supe fairly recently but haven't heard back from him if it's a yes or no. Yet he keeps telling me, "DLM, if you think of a project let me know"

    Guess I'll have to keep bugging him. I talked to him but he told me to email it to him since he was busy that day. I'm sure it got buried.
    Yeah man, gotta keep reminding everyone. I think we all get so busy from time to time. Sometimes I get to the point where I can't even remember what I ate for breakfast lol.
    *Rest In Peace Dad. I miss you every second of every day 03/13/2013*

    *Official Dodge Truck Crew CEO*
    *Official IT Thread CEO*
    Reply With Quote

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts