Heyitskin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Post Powerlifting/strength training community, I need your constructive criticism!

Hey BB community! I would like to have your opinion/constructive criticism in regards to my training regime!
    A little about me before I begin
    -I experienced a sport related injury in high school that limits my range of motion in my right shoulder, and as such improving the over all strength of my shoulders have been incredibly hard. More specifically I injured the tendon associated with my rotator cuff. Any volume work involving a certain range of motions in my shoulder has been omitted or shortened for that purpose.
    -As of right my max working weight (not my 1 rep max) are
    Deadlift: 295 lbs
    Squat: 280 lbs
    Bench: 215 lbs
    -This training regime was derived from the 5x3x1 strength program and modified based on my injury to focus on the 3 main lifts. I like to start off with a good set of warms ups, a break, work set of the week, followed by some volume work, and some cardiovascular training to improve my physical endurance.
    Program taken from T-Nation
    This weeks training regime
    Day 1: Deadlift
    1)Deadlift (warm up)
    135x10
    185x8
    205x5
    225x3
    2)Deadlift (working set)
    235x5
    265x3
    295x1+
    3)Deadlift (volume work)
    65% of heaviest weight x 20 reps or failure, which ever comes first without compromising form.
    4)Abs or Shrugs or overhead press(alternate between weeks)
    5)Cardio: Sled drag/Jump rope/Tire flipping for 10-15 minutes.
    Day 2:Squat
    1)Squat (warm up)
    Bar x10
    95x10
    135x8
    185x5
    205x3
    2)Squat (working set)
    230x5
    255x3
    280x1+
    3)Squat (volume work)
    65% of heaviest weight x20 or failure
    4)Abs or shrugs or overhead press
    5)Cardio (warm down)

Day 3: Bench Press
    1)Bench Press (Warm up)
    Bar x 10
    95x10
    105x8
    135x5
    155x3
    2)Bench Press (working set)
    165x5
    195x3
    215x1+
    3)Bench press (Volume)
    135x6-8 (pause sets) for 3 reps
    4)Squat/Deadlift (focused on technique)
    135x6-8 for 3 reps
    EDIT: It's a 4 week cycle based on my 1 rep max%. Each cycle I would add 10 lbs to my squats and dead lifts and 5 lbs to my bench press.

So far this has worked quite well for me and my right shoulder isn't hating me either (for the most part) It is slightly modified from the 5x3x1 program, but only on the accessory and shoulder work. I've integrated some slight shoulder work as an accessory into the days I deadlift/squat so I haven't completely omitted it from the program it self. What do you guys think? Are there any trends you notice that will absolutely fail as I progress?

Thank you all for your time!

-Cal

BlueLifter81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlueLifter81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlueLifter81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlueLifter81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Pretty good but there is no reason to be doing 20 reps of anything ever.

If you are looking to build muscle and physique I would make your volume sets 3x8-12

If you are looking to focus on strength I would make your post-working sets 4-6 (I just go backwards so if my working sets were 80%/85%/90% then my next two sets would be 85% to failure then 80% to failure)

Also, if you aren't already, I would do the "beyond 5/3/1" program (just google it and you can get a .pdf) it says to do 6 weeks on then a de load rather than 3 weeks then de load. Works a lot better.

Heyitskin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

Originally Posted by BlueLifter81 View Post
    Pretty good but there is no reason to be doing 20 reps of anything ever.

If you are looking to build muscle and physique I would make your volume sets 3x8-12

If you are looking to focus on strength I would make your post-working sets 4-6 (I just go backwards so if my working sets were 80%/85%/90% then my next two sets would be 85% to failure then 80% to failure)

Also, if you aren't already, I would do the "beyond 5/3/1" program (just google it and you can get a .pdf) it says to do 6 weeks on then a de load rather than 3 weeks then de load. Works a lot better.
    Thanks bluelifter81, I especially like the idea of going back works for my post-working sets and the recommendation of the beyond 5/3/1 program. I'll try it out!
    Cal