MonkeySlayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) MonkeySlayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) MonkeySlayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) MonkeySlayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) MonkeySlayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) MonkeySlayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) MonkeySlayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) MonkeySlayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) MonkeySlayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) MonkeySlayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) MonkeySlayer will become famous soon enough. (+50)

5 3 1 assistance work?

want to start jims 5 3 1 program next week and i cant seem to find how many exercises to pick for assistance work and how many sets to do and what rep range to stick to? can someone post a link or who has done it let me know please

jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Spend the $10 and get the book, it has like a billion recommendations.
    ▪█──────█▪ Equipment Crew #66 ▪█──────█▪

[]---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #44 []---[]

My home gym https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1552985721#post1552985721

NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you are in doubt, pick exercises that give a lot of bang for your buck, and fill in the gaps so to speak - dips, chins, rows, curls, shrugs, abs, back raises, lunges.

If you know exactly what kind of phase of training you are in in your yearly plan or something similar, then you'd pick according to that.

I'm doning 5/3/1 right now and have a high volume of assistance work because that fits with the goal I have for my off season, which is to build up a lot of muscle mass and hit some reps on weak variations of the main lifts.

My layout is like this for squat, bench, deadlift, and ohp.

Main Lift 5/3/1
    Paused Variation (FSL %s) 3-5 x 3-5
    Variation x amap (FSL %s for sq/dl, or a rest-pause DB pressing set)
    then 3 bodybuilding exercises for 5x10.

It looks like a lot on paper but it's really not, workouts are generally done in 50 mins.
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/NorthStrongSC

Main Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155303583

After seeing a hard workout you may want to complain and want others to pity you for the work you have to do. Your mom will pity you. Your girl will pity you. I may pity you, but your competition will not pity you. They will step on you, walk over you and spit on you. � Boris Sheiko

BlueLifter81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlueLifter81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlueLifter81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlueLifter81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Depends on your goals.

I do the main lift 5/3/1 and the I do a set at the "3" to failure then a set of the "5" weight to failure.

For my assistance work it is all barbell oriented (in a given 4 weeks I think I do two dumbbell exercises).

I do pause sets, reverse grips, close grips, pin presses, pin pulls, hack squats, zercher squats...anything that is a variation but basically imitates the main lift. Google is a pretty good resource here. For example, Google "Overhead press assistance" and you will find a ton of articles. Then go to the gym and test them out.

I came up with my finalized 5/3/1 routine after about 3 months of testing various assistance exercises.

Another tip: I don't love Jason Blaha, but he had an interesting idea for 5/3/1, which is to do your main lift on a different day than the assistance work for that day.

So I do Overhead press then chest assistance/Deadlift then leg assistance/Press then chest assistance/Squat then back assistance. It sounds crazy but I love it. My chest assistance work isn't drained from benching so I can do more weight on everything.

grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jdforsy View Post
    Spend the $10 and get the book, it has like a billion recommendations.
    Yep. It's $10. If you're gonna do the routine for several months, shuck out a few bucks and learn all of the ins and outs.

InExileVt is on a distinguished road. (+10) InExileVt is on a distinguished road. (+10) InExileVt is on a distinguished road. (+10) InExileVt is on a distinguished road. (+10) InExileVt is on a distinguished road. (+10) InExileVt is on a distinguished road. (+10) InExileVt is on a distinguished road. (+10) InExileVt is on a distinguished road. (+10) InExileVt is on a distinguished road. (+10) InExileVt is on a distinguished road. (+10) InExileVt is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Buy the book. Anything worth doing is worth learning about. Consider your goals. Check out blackironbeast.com.

Lossless has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by MonkeySlayer View Post
    want to start jims 5 3 1 program next week and i cant seem to find how many exercises to pick for assistance work and how many sets to do and what rep range to stick to? can someone post a link or who has done it let me know please
    If you google '5/3/1 pdf' you can find the book and view on your phone without having to pay if you're down for that. Should be like the first link.