MrBuIk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bench will not budge.

Here is a list of the programs I've ran in the last 24 weeks.

12 weeks of madcow
    6 weeks of condito
    4 weeks of smolov bench
    2 weeks of deload inbetween.

My bench max was at 225 and is still at 225.
    My squat max went from 275 to 395
    My barbell rows went from 185 for 3x15 to 225 for 3x15
    My deadlift went from 365 to 495

Everything flew up BUT my bench press which stayed the same. Can someone please explain this to me? I was hoping to bench 225 for 15 reps my summer since December but it looks like that's not happening..

ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Post a video of your bench, lets look at it and see if there are technique problems
    It'd be like staying fat while running marathons because it's more impressive to finish a marathon when you're overweight. It might be impressive in the short run, but in the long run it just doesn't make any sense. ~breathinglife

Raw competition lifts ....................Equipped
    Squat 661
    Bench 490...........................................666.9
    Dead 585

johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by MrBuIk View Post

12 weeks of madcow
    6 weeks of condito
    4 weeks of smolov bench

Everything flew up BUT my bench press which stayed the same. Can someone please explain this to me? I was hoping to bench 225 for 15 reps my summer since December but it looks like that's not happening..
    Lots more info is needed...What was your weight in December, what is it now?
    How is your eating/rest?
    How is your bench/bench setup, is it loose, no leg drive, inconsistent bar path, or are you tight, shoulders pulled back, tight back/lats, consistent bar path?
    Dead Lift till you puke crew!

Registered User TheFuarkingBoss's Avatar
    TheFuarkingBoss is a name known to all. (+5000) TheFuarkingBoss is a name known to all. (+5000) TheFuarkingBoss is a name known to all. (+5000) TheFuarkingBoss is a name known to all. (+5000) TheFuarkingBoss is a name known to all. (+5000) TheFuarkingBoss is a name known to all. (+5000) TheFuarkingBoss is a name known to all. (+5000) TheFuarkingBoss is a name known to all. (+5000) TheFuarkingBoss is a name known to all. (+5000) TheFuarkingBoss is a name known to all. (+5000) TheFuarkingBoss is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Its all in the tits its all in the tits
    Brah

Originally Posted by ShortDave View Post
    Post a video of your bench, lets look at it and see if there are technique problems
    I will post when after I'm done with school. My bench to me seems good shoulder blades back and tights, elbows in, grip is a little bit wider than should length and a nice arch.

Originally Posted by johnmackay View Post
    Lots more info is needed...What was your weight in December, what is it now?
    How is your eating/rest?
    How is your bench/bench setup, is it loose, no leg drive, inconsistent bar path, or are you tight, shoulders pulled back, tight back/lats, consistent bar path?
    I went up 10 pounds since December going up 2% in body fat.
    My eating and rest seems to be okay considering my squat flew up.
    Everything about my form seems good (I got it checked by multiple people) Everything is tights and good. The one thing I'd say I have problem with is leg drive. Im not sure how leg drive works.

Shrugs4Life is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shrugs4Life is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shrugs4Life is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shrugs4Life is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shrugs4Life is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shrugs4Life is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shrugs4Life is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shrugs4Life is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shrugs4Life is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shrugs4Life is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shrugs4Life is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Stop doing so much bench. I know Westside can get a bad rapport for raw guys, but rotate lifts. Stop benching yourself into the ground, do some close grip, dips, dead bench, incline, fat bar bench etc. Learn to play with the tempo, read up on poliquin.

smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Shrugs4Life View Post
    Stop doing so much bench.
    I do not endorse the above.

Here are some vids on increasing your bench. Hard to say with out knowing your specific issue on what is causing your plateau but my first guess would be lack of volume and pushing yourself (effort) in your bench programs.

Best Raw total 1850 at 181 lbs
    best comp raw lifts @ 181
    squat 710
    bench 500
    deadlift 670
    "Lightest man to bench 500 raw in a full meet"
    my you tube channel of my training http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkt7CVJ7443k6Vu_1DwP3UA
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #9 ||---||
    ()---() York Barbell Club #81 ()---()
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #81 []---[]

Shrugs4Life is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shrugs4Life is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shrugs4Life is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shrugs4Life is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shrugs4Life is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shrugs4Life is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shrugs4Life is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shrugs4Life is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shrugs4Life is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shrugs4Life is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shrugs4Life is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by smokinHawk View Post
    I do not endorse the above.

Here are some vids on increasing your bench. Hard to say with out knowing your specific issue on what is causing your plateau but my first guess would be lack of volume and pushing yourself (effort) in your bench programs.
    I love high volume work as well to get someone's bench moving. He just came off smolov jr and it didn't budge. My initial inkling is that he needs to lay off it, and get stronger at other lifts. I know this is powerlifting and there is the big 3 and all, but the guy benches 2 plates. He needs to just get stronger at everything before worrying about bench specialization.

Originally Posted by Shrugs4Life View Post
    I love high volume work as well to get someone's bench moving. He just came off smolov jr and it didn't budge. My initial inkling is that he needs to lay off it, and get stronger at other lifts. I know this is powerlifting and there is the big 3 and all, but the guy benches 2 plates. He needs to just get stronger at everything before worrying about bench specialization.
    But my squats and deadlifts are decent at 180.. my bench is the only thing not moving.

ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    But my squats and deadlifts are decent at 180.. my bench is the only thing not moving.
    And as soon as you get the video up we can help, before that we can guess
    It'd be like staying fat while running marathons because it's more impressive to finish a marathon when you're overweight. It might be impressive in the short run, but in the long run it just doesn't make any sense. ~breathinglife

Raw competition lifts ....................Equipped
    Squat 661
    Bench 490...........................................666.9
    Dead 585

ecchastang is just really nice. (+1000) ecchastang is just really nice. (+1000) ecchastang is just really nice. (+1000) ecchastang is just really nice. (+1000) ecchastang is just really nice. (+1000) ecchastang is just really nice. (+1000) ecchastang is just really nice. (+1000) ecchastang is just really nice. (+1000) ecchastang is just really nice. (+1000) ecchastang is just really nice. (+1000) ecchastang is just really nice. (+1000)
    So in 24 months, your total went up 250 lbs while your bodyweight went up 10 lbs, and you are complaining? If your squat and deadlift went up so much, it sounds like your legs were receiving the majority of your body's energy in recovery and growth.

Originally Posted by ecchastang View Post
    So in 24 months, your total went up 250 lbs while your bodyweight went up 10 lbs, and you are complaining? If your squat and deadlift went up so much, it sounds like your legs were receiving the majority of your body's energy in recovery and growth.
    24 weeks; and yes my bench hasn't moved whatsoever (where 225 is a extremely weak bench) lol.
    Last edited by MrBuIk; 05-19-2015 at 02:44 PM.

FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ecchastang View Post

Lol 24 weeks not 24 months
    PRs - Sq / B / D / Total
    Gym - 425 / 255 / 463 / -
    Meet - 413 / 248 / 463 / 1124 @ 220
    Meet - 391 / 242 / 468 / 1102 @ 181

BlueLifter81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlueLifter81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlueLifter81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlueLifter81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

12 weeks of madcow
    6 weeks of condito
    4 weeks of smolov bench

You may be sick of programs, but I have made significant gains on a modified 5/3/1.

And gain weight. I put on 20 pounds and my bench skyrocketed.

zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ShortDave View Post
    And as soon as you get the video up we can help, before that we can guess
    pretty much this. Not one single person here, no one, can tell you what you should or shouldn't be doing until we've seen you lift. Other than that, you may have a glaring weakness that needs to be addressed.
    1708 total @220 Raw
    Improve my total every time I step on the platform.

Being a male is a matter of birth. However, being a "man" is a matter of choice.

Photo in Avi is not current, I'm way fatter now.

Originally Posted by zmcdole View Post
    pretty much this. Not one single person here, no one, can tell you what you should or shouldn't be doing until we've seen you lift. Other than that, you may have a glaring weakness that needs to be addressed.
    The very bottom 3 inches and very top 3 inches of my bench is extremely strong. I could probably bench 315 from the bottom 3 inches and the top 3 inches.

My biggest lack is getting stuck somewhere in the middle.

Originally Posted by BlueLifter81 View Post
    You may be sick of programs, but I have made significant gains on a modified 5/3/1.

And gain weight. I put on 20 pounds and my bench skyrocketed.
    Source? Or PDF?

BlueLifter81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlueLifter81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlueLifter81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlueLifter81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Source? Or PDF?
    Apparently newbies to the forum can't post links. If you Google "5/3/1 pdf" and "Beyond 5/3/1 pdf" you'll get both programs. I would go with the second, which the creator (Jim Wendler) wrote as a supplement to the original.

The original called for 3 weeks on with the 4th week being a deload. Wendler realized that is too much time off so changed up the scheduling, etc. so it is now 6 weeks on and the 7th a deload.

But obviously just Google both and look into which you think is best.

zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The very bottom 3 inches and very top 3 inches of my bench is extremely strong. I could probably bench 315 from the bottom 3 inches and the top 3 inches.

My biggest lack is getting stuck somewhere in the middle.
    it seems to me like you're just about like every other raw bencher I know except something doesn't add up. If you're really strong off your chest then you should be able to drive through that sticking point into lockout. If you really are strong off your chest then you must have some very bad technique right after you get the bar off your chest otherwise the momentum from coming off your chest would drive you through that sticking point like I already mentioned. As said before, a vid is essential. You can run any program you want and work as hard as you want, but if you're benching with poor technique you wont see very much progress.
    1708 total @220 Raw
    Improve my total every time I step on the platform.

Being a male is a matter of birth. However, being a "man" is a matter of choice.

Photo in Avi is not current, I'm way fatter now.