JayVincent JayVincent JayVincent JayVincent JayVincent JayVincent JayVincent JayVincent JayVincent JayVincent JayVincent

Sorry guys, "cardio" does not exist.

If you've clicked on the link to read this post, your head is probably already spinning. But I'm here to debug the "cardio" stigma that is absolutely flooding the fitness industry in one thread.

First. What is cardio? Well, the accepted definition of cardio is an exercise method used to burn calories. It is usually a steady-state type of activity such as walking, jogging, biking or those brilliant elliptical machines you see in abundance at your health club.

Cardio is short for "cardiovascular". This type of exercise got its name from the benefit it is supposed to produce; cardiovascular conditioning. This term evolved from what used to be known as "aerobics" which took off about 40ish years ago as a fat burning, calorie expensing activity to stay fit. The problem is, it's complete BS.

"Aerobics" got its name from the energy system it uses in the cell when the activity is performed; aerobic respiration. This is the energy system which breaks down glycogen and turns it into energy to fuel muscle contractions and movement .... Along with its associate which always failed to be mentioned; anaerobic respiration. The two processes go hand in hand within the cell to produce energy. Anaerobic without the addition of oxygen, and aerobic with the aid of oxygen.

Aerobics (or cardio) was said to have great benefits on ones endurance, blood pressure, body composition, cardiovascular conditioning.. And the list goes on. PLUS it will burn calories and all that excess body fat, right? Well, not exactly.

Any physical activity involving the contraction of muscle (or movement) is going to involve anaerobic and aerobic respiration to break down glycogen into ATP to fuel the muscle contraction. Whether it's walking, lifting weights, climbing a wall, swinging an ax, whatever. "Cardio" does not have any DIRECT link to the heart, or body fat for that matter. So whether you're swinging that ax or riding that elliptical, the same energy systems are used to fuel your movement.

What about burning calories?
    I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but, "cardio" type exercise does not burn NEARLY as many calories as you think.

Let's talk about your elliptical machine. You ride the thing for about 30 minutes. It says you burned 100 calories. What it DOESNT take into account is your BMR (basal metabolic rate) which is the amount of calories your body would have burned regardless of the cardio. Let's say that number is 70/hour. So after 30 minutes the machine tells you 100 calories, you must subtract the BMR (35 kcal) and you're left with 65 calories. So that 30 minutes helped you burn 5 French fries. Worth it to you? Probably not.

Think about it, if our bodies were THAT metabolically inefficient, we would starve to death grocery shopping. Our species never would have survived if you burned 500 calories within an hour of activity since food was not as readily available for our ancestors as it is today for us

So what do you do?
    Simple. DONT eat the excess calories in the first place! Rather than spending 30 minutes of your time burning that handful of French fries, wouldn't you rather have not eaten them to begin with? Exercise should NOT be a method for burning calories, but rather a way to build muscle to make your body more metabolically efficient so you do not store as much body fat! (This is a whole other topic I will post in the future).

What you should be doing is intense weight training along side a diet that does not include excess calories that you would "have to burn off" at the gym. This is why you see so many of your fellow gym members on the cardio equipment day in and day out with almost no physiological change to show for it.

Fat loss is primarily a hormonal process caused by diet, and is barely manipulated by "cardio". I will post about the science of fat loss in the near future.

Now, comment away!

Registered Schmoozer LollyLifts2015's Avatar
    LollyLifts2015 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LollyLifts2015 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LollyLifts2015 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LollyLifts2015 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LollyLifts2015 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LollyLifts2015 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LollyLifts2015 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LollyLifts2015 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LollyLifts2015 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LollyLifts2015 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LollyLifts2015 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    This is all so new and exciting to me.

I think my head just 'sploded from this pool of vast information.

I have now forgotten where I put my car keys; great, thnx, Opie.
    ❤ Humor iss all in the arm. ❤
    ❤ I'm just here for the snacks. ❤

jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Wow, I don't think anyone has ever thought of it that way.

You should publish these findings and revolutionize the fitness industry, sports medicine and what the heck, thermodynamics while you're at it.

not srs
    We're all gonna make it.

nosirrahx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nosirrahx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nosirrahx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nosirrahx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nosirrahx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nosirrahx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nosirrahx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nosirrahx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nosirrahx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nosirrahx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nosirrahx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    When you are fat everything is cardio.

JayVincent JayVincent JayVincent JayVincent JayVincent JayVincent JayVincent JayVincent JayVincent JayVincent JayVincent
    Originally Posted by jonnicola View Post
    Wow, I don't think anyone has ever thought of it that way.

You should publish these findings and revolutionize the fitness industry, sports medicine and what the heck, thermodynamics while you're at it.

not srs
    From what has been said in most of the forum posts, including yours, most people don't know this. But thank you for the sarcastic post as you enjoy sharking people's posts simply to disagree with no actual counter argument to what is said.

Originally Posted by nosirrahx View Post
    When you are fat everything is cardio.
    That doesn't make any sense. Please people. Post something to contribute to the thread. Not useless garbage. This is supposed to be helpful and productive.

jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by JayVincent View Post
    From what has been said in most of the forum posts, including yours, most people don't know this. But thank you for the sarcastic post as you enjoy sharking people's posts simply to disagree with no actual counter argument to what is said.
    What's to counter, it's like someone posting that fire burns, water is wet and the sky is blue.

It's very widely accepted that you dont need to do cardio to lose weight.

That =/= you shouldn't do cardio if you enjoy it.
    We're all gonna make it.

nosirrahx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nosirrahx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nosirrahx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nosirrahx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nosirrahx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nosirrahx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nosirrahx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nosirrahx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nosirrahx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nosirrahx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nosirrahx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    That doesn't make any sense. Please people. Post something to contribute to the thread. Not useless garbage. This is supposed to be helpful and productive.
    Sorry, your pointless thread deserved no better. You want to paint with a broad brush, go ahead, this is a stupid thing to do. Cardio is far more than a deficit extender, there are many health benefits. My cat knows this, he is laughing at you right now.

Every single person is different. We all start from a different place and have different goals. We go after our goals at completely different paces. Everyone has some mix of diet, weights and cardio. Your cardio number may very well be 0, good for you but don't think that you have had some kind of global epiphany. Personally I think dieting without lifting is crazy, but I am not stupid enough to assume that I have "the" answer that is right for everyone. One of my best female friends has lost more than 80 lbs and she does 0 cardio and 0 weight training. I think that she is nuts but her results are obvious so who the hell I am I to tell her that she is wrong. On the flip side I have lost 40 lbs and I both lift and do cardio. I am currently losing ~5 lbs a week, am I wrong? Not for me.

magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i follow same method, eat less instead of wasting your time on treadmill. no need to spend half of your life in the gym

brayanpagan35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brayanpagan35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brayanpagan35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brayanpagan35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brayanpagan35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brayanpagan35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brayanpagan35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brayanpagan35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brayanpagan35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brayanpagan35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brayanpagan35 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Heart rate. Unless you can get 160 bpm lifting.

melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I hate cardio and I train very hard and heavy and I look fit but cannot run for a bus without my lungs nearly exploding and I think this is unhealthy. However op is correct
    Welsh BDFPA powerlifter /strongwoman

135/80/180kg
    (295/176/397)
    1.5bw frontsquat
    Last total 395kg@77 wilks 369

conventional crew

Mel has left the misc

Originally Posted by melDorado View Post
    I hate cardio and I train very hard and heavy and I look fit but cannot run for a bus without my lungs nearly exploding and I think this is unhealthy. However op is correct
    This was me when I started, so embarrassing. I could not climb a flight of stairs without needing a rest. I could not make it from the terminal to baggage claim without a rest. Now, no problem, I can speed walk across that bitch.

According to the OP I should give both that up and food I find delicious and just cut harder, brilliant.

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I enjoy both eating and doing copious amounts of exercise. I'm devastated to discover that the stuff I do when I'm not lifting doesn't exist.
    SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com

JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by LollyLifts2015 View Post
    This is all so new and exciting to me.

I think my head just 'sploded from this pool of vast information.

I have now forgotten where I put my car keys; great, thnx, Opie.
    Be sure to read post 7. There's some mind boggling stuff about physics and astronomy there.

Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Kenneth H Cooper

Mitchblue is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mitchblue is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mitchblue is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mitchblue is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mitchblue is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mitchblue is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mitchblue is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mitchblue is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mitchblue is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mitchblue is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mitchblue is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I enjoy walking around the block and I feel better because of it, energized. You're probably right with the 30 minutes, five french fries theory. However, I think it's common knowledge that exercise and eating right is what you need.

mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You make a bold statement that you are here to "debug" a myth and change an entire industry with this post in your second sentence, then you go on to tell us what we already know? Nice move.

Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Canadiantuxedo has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Sorry guys, "cardio" does not exist
    Not in my world anyhow
    I have to return some videotapes

“There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.”
    -Some fish guy

225 Bench
    275 DL
    235 Squat

AFC96 is a name known to all. (+5000) AFC96 is a name known to all. (+5000) AFC96 is a name known to all. (+5000) AFC96 is a name known to all. (+5000) AFC96 is a name known to all. (+5000) AFC96 is a name known to all. (+5000) AFC96 is a name known to all. (+5000) AFC96 is a name known to all. (+5000) AFC96 is a name known to all. (+5000) AFC96 is a name known to all. (+5000) AFC96 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    My Powerlifting "Road To Manlet" Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172129323

Instagram: a.camstra

Gym PR(KG): 195/130/220 @61KG Raw

Meet PR(KG): 185/117.5/200 @58.6KG

United Till I Die! hellstorm2004's Avatar
    hellstorm2004 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hellstorm2004 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hellstorm2004 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hellstorm2004 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hellstorm2004 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hellstorm2004 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hellstorm2004 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hellstorm2004 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hellstorm2004 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hellstorm2004 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hellstorm2004 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Cardio cool. Although elliptical are crap!
    "I am not a man, I am Cantona" - Eric Cantona.

***Anthony Martial has Arrived***

Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The responses correlate directly to the quality of the original post.
    Last edited by Get-n-fit; 05-18-2015 at 11:54 AM.
    Lift light until you can lift right

BW 220: S:650 B:435 D:615 IG: tourostrengthtraining

FriendOfFrank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FriendOfFrank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FriendOfFrank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FriendOfFrank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FriendOfFrank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FriendOfFrank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FriendOfFrank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FriendOfFrank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FriendOfFrank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FriendOfFrank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FriendOfFrank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I understand that cardio is a poor method for developing a good physique. Diet and strength training will produce a much better result, but I really don't get what you mean by cardio not existing? Are you saying that you can not improve your cardiovascular capabilities through doing exercises that raise your heart rate for long periods of time? If so, you should probably notify endurance athletes and tell them they're training wrong for their sports.

vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Cardio training improves endurance more so than weight training, and is both low intensity and less injury-prone than weight training.

loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    "There is no reason to be alive if you can't do deadlift"

-Jón Páll Sigmarsson

Benjo87 is a complete loser! (-2000) Benjo87 is a complete loser! (-2000) Benjo87 is a complete loser! (-2000) Benjo87 is a complete loser! (-2000) Benjo87 is a complete loser! (-2000) Benjo87 is a complete loser! (-2000) Benjo87 is a complete loser! (-2000) Benjo87 is a complete loser! (-2000) Benjo87 is a complete loser! (-2000) Benjo87 is a complete loser! (-2000) Benjo87 is a complete loser! (-2000)
    You can still do cardio to improve your fitness. Saying it doesn't exist is a bit of a stretch. Yes, we know that by eating leas calories will make you lose weight. But running is still a great exercise. I don't really get The point of the thread. Go and tell an athlete that they don't need to worry about cardio.

alwayschestday will become famous soon enough. (+50) alwayschestday will become famous soon enough. (+50) alwayschestday will become famous soon enough. (+50) alwayschestday will become famous soon enough. (+50) alwayschestday will become famous soon enough. (+50) alwayschestday will become famous soon enough. (+50) alwayschestday will become famous soon enough. (+50) alwayschestday will become famous soon enough. (+50) alwayschestday will become famous soon enough. (+50) alwayschestday will become famous soon enough. (+50) alwayschestday will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Man I guess someone should tell the boxers, swimmers, triathletes, marathoner, cyclists, rowers, sprinters, kick boxers, mountain bikers and everyone else that they suc, dont exist and are fat. I'll give you tree-fiddy to buy a clue.

alwayschestday will become famous soon enough. (+50) alwayschestday will become famous soon enough. (+50) alwayschestday will become famous soon enough. (+50) alwayschestday will become famous soon enough. (+50) alwayschestday will become famous soon enough. (+50) alwayschestday will become famous soon enough. (+50) alwayschestday will become famous soon enough. (+50) alwayschestday will become famous soon enough. (+50) alwayschestday will become famous soon enough. (+50) alwayschestday will become famous soon enough. (+50) alwayschestday will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Tennis players, rock climbers, hiking, snow shoeing, bleacher running, hockey players, basketball players, dancers, gymnastics, all say you forgot about them to. Oh weight lifting can turn cardio also by definition.

Jayme21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I like to do both cardio and weight training exercises and the combination proved great for me. I feel more fit and healthy when I do cardio with weight training. So don't agree with your post.