Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by 2020Wellness View Post
    BRG,

I really don't feel that age is a barrier in this field. The thing is, there are ALWAYS going to be people in your age group who want to get in better shape for one reason or another. They may have it mandated by their doctor due to a health problem, they may have a health scare that jumpstarts them to get into the gym, they may have always worked out and aren't stopping due to age, they may just want to turn their life around physically. There are people who fall into any of these categories in all age ranges.

I used to be a little fearful that age would be a disadvantage to me and I'm only 35 years old. What I'm finding though, is that as I age, the age group of my clients just naturally changes with me. Why do I think this happens? Like I said, because there are people in every age group who need training in their lives.

Great post!
    This is all true. However, the market (particularly at the local level) is simply to small to sectorize. It is going to be very difficult to maintain a significant clientele base if you are only able to attract a particular sector of the community. You have to find away to attract every age group, race, each gender and physical condition if you are going to have a full schedule day in and day out.
    To succeed at doing what you love, you often must do many things you hate.

2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Ronin4help View Post
    This is all true. However, the market (particularly at the local level) is simply to small to sectorize. It is going to be very difficult to maintain a significant clientele base if you are only able to attract a particular sector of the community. You have to find away to attract every age group, race, each gender and physical condition if you are going to have a full schedule day in and day out.
    True in some cases, false in others. The population size you're working with is the major factor here and having a niche market has been a successful business model for decades, not only in the world of PT, but other industries as well.

Not to mention that if you are known as a very good trainer for a certain age group, there are still going to be people outside of that age group who approach you due to your great reputation for knowing what you're doing and also word-of-mouth marketing.

In truth, focusing on a main age group turns into clients outside of that age group as well.

In the end, run your business how you want to run it. People are asking me questions in this thread and I'm giving them the advice that I think will help them the most. So far, everyone listening has increased their sales and income.
    Last edited by 2020Wellness; 08-19-2016 at 07:51 AM.
    trainingwithryan.substack.com

2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BRG47 View Post
    Ryan -

Thanks for encouraging reply.

I live in New York City now and when I go to Prospect Park, especially early in the morning or on weekends, you would be amazed at how many people are working out: running, half jogging, walking, and most important, road cycling. You wouldn't believe how many people road cycle in the city on dedicated bike paths, sometimes in groups up to 20.

One thing I forgot to mention in my post has to do with sales. Many people have mentioned in posts on this forum how they are excellent in training but are put off by sales. I have five years of sales recently and also have sales training, formal and informal. I also have been told I am personable, which is something I don't think you can teach, either you have it or you don't, although you can work on it to be better. i also used to be a big talker / conversationalist, and sales and sales training made me a much better listener, which also I think would be crucial in this business.

Due to automation I wish I had looked into this field 20 years ago. I don't think robots will be teaching physical training any time soon

Have a great weekend!
    Your market is simply HUGE, no arguing that!

And yes, you'll have a big jump on the competition being that you're experienced in sales. I agree with the personable trait too, you have it or you don't. You know you have it when you aren't trying to be personable and people tell you you are.

It seems like you have the opportunity to do something you want to do, so I'd go for it.

nctarheels21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nctarheels21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nctarheels21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nctarheels21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nctarheels21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nctarheels21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nctarheels21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nctarheels21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nctarheels21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nctarheels21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nctarheels21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    LOL at that guy always coming in here arguing. You're just giving great advice for free! No need to start a fight.

Thanks Ryan for all of this great info!

Originally Posted by nctarheels21 View Post
    LOL at that guy always coming in here arguing. You're just giving great advice for free! No need to start a fight.

You're welcome bossman. So far he's only allowed me to elaborate on my points and explain them further, so maybe I should thank him. Plus more posts mean the thread lives on!

Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000)
    True in some cases, false in others. The population size you're working with is the major factor here and having a niche market has been a successful business model for decades, not only in the world of PT, but other industries as well.
    I like your feedback. Each time I read your stuff it is always positive and honest. We can agree to disagree but in my experience (vast and too long to ponder) the average trainer is having a hard enough time being successful training anyone he can get his hands on (she). It's like going to an auto garage that is not servicing many vehicles, perhaps 2 or 3 a day and saying 'Maybe you should just focus on red cars only.'

??? The first sentence in my reply is giving him props. If you actually read my responses, I rarely give a poster props. This means his opinion is worth challenging. Most of the time the poster is just talking out of his ass and I have little interest in what he has to say.

What this section doesn't need is a bunch of 'yes men'. Guys just coming here and agreeing to anything posted just to kiss ass and get repped. If I listen to what 2020 is saying (although I may not agree) I will become smarter. If he listens to what I am saying (although he may not agree) he too will become smarter. That's what this posting stuff is really supposed to accomplish.
    Last edited by Ronin4help; 08-19-2016 at 10:34 AM.

xerbia is a name known to all. (+5000) xerbia is a name known to all. (+5000) xerbia is a name known to all. (+5000) xerbia is a name known to all. (+5000) xerbia is a name known to all. (+5000) xerbia is a name known to all. (+5000) xerbia is a name known to all. (+5000) xerbia is a name known to all. (+5000) xerbia is a name known to all. (+5000) xerbia is a name known to all. (+5000) xerbia is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hey Ryan, I've recently started working at my buddies private gym. I PTed at a local gym for 2 years before that. I've had a good chunk of clients come with me, but also a few others stayed since they just enjoyed the big box gym.

As far as marketing goes I wanted to ask some of your strategies? What do you think about ******** ads, websites, etc.?
    Looking for a Contest Prep Coach? -------> www.Advanced-Athletes.com

IG: @Wyatt_Dickinson

Originally Posted by xerbia View Post
    Hey Ryan, I've recently started working at my buddies private gym. I PTed at a local gym for 2 years before that. I've had a good chunk of clients come with me, but also a few others stayed since they just enjoyed the big box gym.

As far as marketing goes I wanted to ask some of your strategies? What do you think about ******** ads, websites, etc.?
    FB is definitely a powerful tool and I feel it's more powerful than other platforms like IG and SnapChat. The reason I believe this, and experience this, is because FB is honestly populated with an older crowd now and the older crowd is more serious about health goals and also has the money to participate in training. The younger population isn't as reliable, as wealthy, nor do they care much about health or even working out like younger people used to. Sure, there are a bunch of young people who do care, but we have to look at the trends versus the outliers.

One thing I would try to do is look up a FB group in your town that talks about your town's happenings, etc. Start talking about a group training session you'll hold in the park on a weekly basis, which people can drop into or at least they'll drive by and stalk it out. Do some HIIT work there with your friends and people will probably start to join in and get to know you more.

It still comes down to getting out there, talking to people, and making it very known that this is who you are and what you do for people.

Word-of-mouth from clients is huge too, but you can't really ask your current clients to shout your name to everyone they know. That is tacky and nobody really wants to do that. When they're seeing results, their friends will ask and then they'll tell, but they can't be salesman for you unless you're paying them to do so.

If you want to bounce your thoughts off of mine above we can keep going on ideas for you.

Thanks for asking,

Ryan

FB is definitely a powerful tool and I feel it's more powerful than other platforms like IG and SnapChat. The reason I believe this, and experience this, is because FB is honestly populated with an older crowd now and the older crowd is more serious about health goals and also has the money to participate in training. The younger population isn't as reliable, as wealthy, nor do they care much about health or even working out like younger people used to. Sure, there are a bunch of young people who do care, but we have to look at the trends versus the outliers.

One thing I would try to do is look up a FB group in your town that talks about your town's happenings, etc. Start talking about a group training session you'll hold in the park on a weekly basis, which people can drop into or at least they'll drive by and stalk it out. Do some HIIT work there with your friends and people will probably start to join in and get to know you more.

It still comes down to getting out there, talking to people, and making it very known that this is who you are and what you do for people.

Word-of-mouth from clients is huge too, but you can't really ask your current clients to shout your name to everyone they know. That is tacky and nobody really wants to do that. When they're seeing results, their friends will ask and then they'll tell, but they can't be salesman for you unless you're paying them to do so.

If you want to bounce your thoughts off of mine above we can keep going on ideas for you.

Thanks for asking,

Ryan
    This is what I also tell people. Mainly because most people do not know that the Business FB is much better than the personal FB page most have. Check out the business FB and you will be very impressed with the many different ways you can market your services.

xerbia is a name known to all. (+5000) xerbia is a name known to all. (+5000) xerbia is a name known to all. (+5000) xerbia is a name known to all. (+5000) xerbia is a name known to all. (+5000) xerbia is a name known to all. (+5000) xerbia is a name known to all. (+5000) xerbia is a name known to all. (+5000) xerbia is a name known to all. (+5000) xerbia is a name known to all. (+5000) xerbia is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thanks for asking,

Ryan
    Thanks appreciate it!

After reading this I've made a ******** ad directing to my website, but I'm very inexperienced when it comes to making ads. No idea if it'll get any leads.

I was thinking about giving clients "free Consultation cards" valued at 60$ or something. I don't charge for consults, but I figured when someone gets some with said value, more than likely they'll use it.

I have business cards, but not real sure about how to give out more of them. Whenever someone shoes interest in training I give them one, but I don't know if it'd be a waste of time/money to leave them out at other businesses.
    Looking for a Contest Prep Coach? -------> www.Advanced-Athletes.com

IG: @Wyatt_Dickinson

nctarheels21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nctarheels21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nctarheels21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nctarheels21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nctarheels21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nctarheels21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nctarheels21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nctarheels21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nctarheels21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nctarheels21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nctarheels21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thanks appreciate it!

After reading this I've made a ******** ad directing to my website, but I'm very inexperienced when it comes to making ads. No idea if it'll get any leads.

I was thinking about giving clients "free Consultation cards" valued at 60$ or something. I don't charge for consults, but I figured when someone gets some with said value, more than likely they'll use it.

I have business cards, but not real sure about how to give out more of them. Whenever someone shoes interest in training I give them one, but I don't know if it'd be a waste of time/money to leave them out at other businesses.
    The back of my business card says "Free Personal Fitness Consultation" but I find just like with most business cards, people lose them or throw them away, and forget to schedule. I think its most important to schedule a consultation with someone on the spot.
    I also think people know that most gyms/ trainers give free consultations, so this may not be such a big thing to people anymore.
    Lastly, I never received any business from leaving my business cards at other places. I think it would be more important to establish a connection/ partnership with these other business so that they will promote you.

With all that said, it definitely wound't hurt to continue to do what you're doing!

The back of my business card says "Free Personal Fitness Consultation" but I find just like with most business cards, people lose them or throw them away, and forget to schedule. I think its most important to schedule a consultation with someone on the spot.
    This is DEFINITELY true. This is why I stress that, when in business-building mode, you need to be on location at your gym of employment and be talking to all new members who are signing up. You need to talk to the manager and get a system worked out where they will introduce you to new members after they sign up, on the spot. From there, you ask them when they would like their free consultation, free session, or whatever you're offering.

I also think people know that most gyms/ trainers give free consultations, so this may not be such a big thing to people anymore.

Lastly, I never received any business from leaving my business cards at other places. I think it would be more important to establish a connection/ partnership with these other business so that they will promote you.
    Promotion is definitely better than a stand-alone stack of business cards. Just put yourself in the consumer's shoes. Do you ever grab a card from a store as you're checking out? Do you even notice cards in that situation? I bet you answered no and no.

With all that said, it definitely wound't hurt to continue to do what you're doing!
    It really comes down to providing something of value to a potential customer first, them engaging with you because of that, and then knowing how to transition into a sale from there. How can you provide something of value? You can watch for questions being asked and answer them. Simple as that.

There are SO MANY people who come to me and tell me they decided to reach out to me because they've seen how I respond to others and help them. They feel comfortable reaching out because I make it known that is what I'm all about. Anyone can ask me anything at any time and I'll get back to them in a timely manner.

Thanks appreciate it!

I recommend you read my reply to Tarheels above!

ecolon12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ecolon12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ecolon12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ecolon12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ecolon12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ecolon12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ecolon12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ecolon12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ecolon12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ecolon12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ecolon12 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I recommend you read my reply to Tarheels above!
    Hello Ryan,
    I'm a trainer currently at a commercial gyms doing 50+ sessions every two weeks. Im kind of getting tired of being at a commercial gym because I feel as if the company doesn't care about it's trainers (a lot of politics). I would love to transition into online training or independent coaching but I have no idea how to start or where to look.

So my questions are
    What do you do if you start to hate working at a commercial gym? I love training, I'm just starting to dislike the gym - the morale is at a all time low and the gym isn't doing so well. I feel as if I'm getting overworked and getting sh*t pay. This summer was a bummer since most of my clients went on vaca, my check got cut by 50-55%!! thats rent money!
    How do i create something more stable? I LOVE training, and I am a successful trainer at this gym but like I said above I'm becoming miserable over there

I agree with this. I will add... if you want the most out of your business cards, put a photo on them (similar to realtors). A name (unless a famous one) will not inspire anyone to call you, but your picture might.

Originally Posted by ecolon12 View Post
    Hello Ryan,
    I'm a trainer currently at a commercial gyms doing 50+ sessions every two weeks. Im kind of getting tired of being at a commercial gym because I feel as if the company doesn't care about it's trainers (a lot of politics). I would love to transition into online training or independent coaching but I have no idea how to start or where to look.

So my questions are
    What do you do if you start to hate working at a commercial gym? I love training, I'm just starting to dislike the gym - the morale is at a all time low and the gym isn't doing so well. I feel as if I'm getting overworked and getting sh*t pay. This summer was a bummer since most of my clients went on vaca, my check got cut by 50-55%!! thats rent money!
    How do i create something more stable? I LOVE training, and I am a successful trainer at this gym but like I said above I'm becoming miserable over there
    The big summarized answer to your question about creating something more stable is to take things into your own hands, at least partially. Stability comes from people being happy with their experience with you. It sounds like you're passionate about this line of work, which is a necessity. I would not completely leave the gym you're at, but I would start to perhaps look around at the option of working at two gyms. I did this for a long time, along with working at my own studio. I worked at a Snap, an Anytime, and my own studio that I made at my home. Eventually, I worked out of the commercial gym scene and now am fully independent.

Keep eggs in multiple baskets while you work on your own business (online coaching unless you have access to a studio). As for working on your online business, try to reach out to people who are asking questions that you can answer, provide value to them, eventually let them know you are an online coach who is taking on clients, etc. Write articles, grow yourself as a reputable source of information online and on social media. Start a training journal online so people see you. There are many avenues to take and I recommend taking several of them at the same time so you can see which one provides the most real clients.

We can keep talking about this stuff, so follow up!

Ryan

ecolon12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ecolon12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ecolon12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ecolon12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ecolon12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ecolon12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ecolon12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ecolon12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ecolon12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ecolon12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ecolon12 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The big summarized answer to your question about creating something more stable is to take things into your own hands, at least partially. Stability comes from people being happy with their experience with you. It sounds like you're passionate about this line of work, which is a necessity. I would not completely leave the gym you're at, but I would start to perhaps look around at the option of working at two gyms. I did this for a long time, along with working at my own studio. I worked at a Snap, an Anytime, and my own studio that I made at my home. Eventually, I worked out of the commercial gym scene and now am fully independent.

Keep eggs in multiple baskets while you work on your own business (online coaching unless you have access to a studio). As for working on your online business, try to reach out to people who are asking questions that you can answer, provide value to them, eventually let them know you are an online coach who is taking on clients, etc. Write articles, grow yourself as a reputable source of information online and on social media. Start a training journal online so people see you. There are many avenues to take and I recommend taking several of them at the same time so you can see which one provides the most real clients.

We can keep talking about this stuff, so follow up!

Ryan
    Im thinking of writing an ebook as a way to start making some money online.

In terms of stability tho im talking about how most of my clients went away during the summer and I lost a tremendous amount of money. I love training but i just dont like working at a commercial gym... Im sure ill be happier 100% when i do go independent and start training online.

I also live in NYC... And the cost of living is so high out here so its tough to get your own studio or have an apartment large enough to train clients in. Im sure there are ways to do it tho like you said above.

I really really dont like working at commerical gyms tho... Besides working at two gyms do you have any other suggestions? Would love some more options

Originally Posted by ecolon12 View Post
    Im thinking of writing an ebook as a way to start making some money online.
    This is definitely an idea I can back and vouch for. I wrote my first eBook in 2010 and it honestly propelled my business to new levels. I actually just finished editing my 2nd eBook last night, coincidentally!

In terms of stability tho im talking about how most of my clients went away during the summer and I lost a tremendous amount of money. I love training but i just dont like working at a commercial gym... Im sure ill be happier 100% when i do go independent and start training online.
    As you may have seen, I talked about how summer is generally a down time for trainers and this is just another example. There is really nothing you can do about this, as no matter who your clients are, they tend to be out of the gym more in the summer time. The best thing you can do to try and prevent this, IMO, is to have them on monthly payment agreements and have them on longer term agreements. I personally sign clients for 12 months at a time, which doesn't say anything about summer breaks. Therefore, I retain the majority of my clients through the summer. What are your current package options?

I also live in NYC... And the cost of living is so high out here so its tough to get your own studio or have an apartment large enough to train clients in. Im sure there are ways to do it tho like you said above.
    I can understand that and I'm not really sure there is any way around that. Here in the midwest, it's much different and much more realistic to have your own home and even build a building on your property that can be your studio. I'm sure a small apartment's rent is much more than a full size house's monthly mortgage payment in MN.

Are there going to be ways to do it where you live? Yes. Will they take some connections and some luck? Probably.

I really really dont like working at commerical gyms tho... Besides working at two gyms do you have any other suggestions? Would love some more options.
    Unless you can find a private gym to train at or make your own studio, you really don't have much of a choice. Commercial gyms are fine to work at, so long as you get along with the rest of the team and have clients that you enjoy working with. The best part about them is that they have a steady stream of incoming potential clients!
    Hope some of this stuff helps you out.

jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jalundah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I just found a job in a studio gym in the middle of a downtown area of one of the wealthiest, continuously growing suburbs of one of the 10 biggest cities in the US. The owner does 100% of the marketing, advertising, and sales, and feeds his trainers clients. They charge 45 per session(30 mins), and the trainers get 50%($22.50) if new, or 55%(24.75) if retained. The head trainer(not the owner) told me he has made a 6 figure income in one fiscal year there, while the other 3 have apparently made between 45k-75k. Two were just fired(one for performance reasons, one or trying to bring clients into his home gym for a smaller price), so it seems as if the market is there for me to make some REALLY good money.

My question- does this seem too good to be true? I'm really finding it hard to believe that consistently working 40 hours per week is possible in a studio gym, because that's EIGHTY 30-minute sessions per week. I'm completely fine with the workload, it just doesn't seem feasible. It's not all about the money for me, but the reason I got out of personal training in the first place was because I didn't think you could make a living doing it unless you ran your own place. For the record, I've only been there for 3 days and next week I already have 7 hours of work arranged(3 clients 3x per week and 3 small group classes)next week, they say I can be at 20 hours by the end of the month.

I've been working as an exercise physiologist working with spinal cord injuries the last few months, and am in the process of applying for PT school. However, this is really making me rethink the process. I love training more than doing rehab in a clinical setting, but it was always about doing what's best for my wife and (future) children, and I didn't think I could support them doing personal training or strength and conditioning.. But the average entry-level physical therapist makes $66k. Doing the math, that's only 28 hours per week of training, and it seems like I'll be there by 2017. It just seems like going to PT school if there's 100k earning potential at this gym would be a bad move. What do you think?

Originally Posted by jalundah View Post
    I just found a job in a studio gym in the middle of a downtown area of one of the wealthiest, continuously growing suburbs of one of the 10 biggest cities in the US. The owner does 100% of the marketing, advertising, and sales, and feeds his trainers clients. They charge 45 per session(30 mins), and the trainers get 50%($22.50) if new, or 55%(24.75) if retained. The head trainer(not the owner) told me he has made a 6 figure income in one fiscal year there, while the other 3 have apparently made between 45k-75k. Two were just fired(one for performance reasons, one or trying to bring clients into his home gym for a smaller price), so it seems as if the market is there for me to make some REALLY good money.
    First off, thank you for posting and it's good to see you landing this job. I have a few thoughts for you to consider on the money-making side of things. I want to make sure you are realistic about the money that you're potentially able to make. What you need to do is a little math and figure out just what you need to do in order to make a certain amount of money. You know how much you can make per session, which is $22.50.

Say you are aiming for 60K per year. That comes out to 2667 sessions needed per year.

If we divide that by 52 weeks in a year, we get 51 sessions per week.

If we divide that by 5 days per work-week, we get 10ish sessions per day. Each session is realistically going to eat up 40 minutes when all is said and done. You'll be training for 30 minutes, but there is always some minutes between sessions and that's just something you can't get around when it comes down to it.

So it really comes down to training for nearly 7 hours per day, 5 days per week to make around 60K.

I'm going to tell you right now that at that rate, you are going to start to feel burned out. With added breaks taken in, you're going to be looking at over 40 hours per week rotating through clients quickly and being on your feet. If you ask around, trainers with experience will tell you that training clients for 40 hours per week is alot and burn out does happen at that rate.

I personally think the owner is greedy for going with the 50/50 split. I hate that split and think it really isn't the way to go, but it's his choice and there isn't anything you can do about it. I'm a much bigger fan of the 70/30 split and then raising to the 75/25 split. If he were to operate his business on my numbers, his trainers would be happier, they wouldn't be trying to steal clients, and they wouldn't be losing their motivation to train. When you're getting half of your wage taken away, it's hard to make a good living.

My question- does this seem too good to be true? I'm really finding it hard to believe that consistently working 40 hours per week is possible in a studio gym, because that's EIGHTY 30-minute sessions per week.
    Remember, view it realistically and view it like 40 minutes per session.

I'm completely fine with the workload, it just doesn't seem feasible. It's not all about the money for me, but the reason I got out of personal training in the first place was because I didn't think you could make a living doing it unless you ran your own place. For the record, I've only been there for 3 days and next week I already have 7 hours of work arranged(3 clients 3x per week and 3 small group classes)next week, they say I can be at 20 hours by the end of the month.
    I don't think it's too good to be true from a 'clients being provided' standpoint. I just think the pay rate sucks and the owner is greedy.

I've been working as an exercise physiologist working with spinal cord injuries the last few months, and am in the process of applying for PT school. However, this is really making me rethink the process. I love training more than doing rehab in a clinical setting, but it was always about doing what's best for my wife and (future) children, and I didn't think I could support them doing personal training or strength and conditioning.. But the average entry-level physical therapist makes $66k. Doing the math, that's only 28 hours per week of training, and it seems like I'll be there by 2017. It just seems like going to PT school if there's 100k earning potential at this gym would be a bad move. What do you think?
    My personal thought is that you need to look at how much work each option requires too. To make 66K at this studio, you're going to have to be overloading yourself to do it. You'll be burned out quickly and soon hate training those clients....... Then what? If I were you, I'd do the schooling while working as a trainer. By the time you are done with school you'll either love your training job or hate it, but the thing is you'll have another option at your fingertips too!
    I don't mean for my responses to be negative, FYI. I care that you see the numbers for what they really are and that you make the best decision without the owner of this gym maybe blinding your judgement and hopes with shiny numbers.

Thanks for posting!

Ryan

ShreddedBrahhh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShreddedBrahhh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShreddedBrahhh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShreddedBrahhh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShreddedBrahhh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShreddedBrahhh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShreddedBrahhh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShreddedBrahhh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShreddedBrahhh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShreddedBrahhh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShreddedBrahhh will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Ryan

I have a few questions for you , awesome thread by the way.
    I'm fully booked with clients at the big box gym where I work and the thread is still helping look from a different angle which I appreciate .

I'm very busy with clients which is amazing and I have been the same way for a year now so retention isn't an issue. Like you said being in the gym when you first start is the best thing for any trainer . I got my first client on my first day as I didn't want to leave the gym until I had done so, 6 weeks after starting I maxed out my clientele by putting in a crazy work ethic and it really does pay off especially since I keep 100% of what my clients pay me .

I am know looking into other ways of establishing my name .
    My ******** page is my biggest platform I have around 800 likes, I'm posting 3x per week every week with info and tips ect ect . I haven't started online coaching as I struggle with doing so. Face to face in the gym I can sell anything but over the computer I find it harder to create that connection you importantly need. What I am asking is to kick start my online side of things is it just a matter of staying consistent with my posts and waiting ?

All as I couldn't be happier with my busy schedule of PT clients I also have looked into high end PT. Basically Finding high end clients but offering more of a service. What's your thoughts on this ?
    JS-Fitness

Originally Posted by ShreddedBrahhh View Post
    Ryan

I have a few questions for you , awesome thread by the way.
    I'm fully booked with clients at the big box gym where I work and the thread is still helping look from a different angle which I appreciate.
    Hey man, sorry for the delay in my reply. The early days in the week are definitely the busiest in this business, as you probably know. Nice work on staying booked up at your gym.

I'm very busy with clients which is amazing and I have been the same way for a year now so retention isn't an issue. Like you said being in the gym when you first start is the best thing for any trainer . I got my first client on my first day as I didn't want to leave the gym until I had done so, 6 weeks after starting I maxed out my clientele by putting in a crazy work ethic and it really does pay off especially since I keep 100% of what my clients pay me .
    Wow, that is actually amazing that you have a deal where you get to keep 100% of the sales you make. Are you paying a monthly rental fee to be able to use the gym and deal with it's members? I have only been offered a 100% take-home rate once before and it was because the owner of the gym just wanted me to be present and associate my name with his gym. If I wasn't already satisfied with my workload, I'd have said yes to him. I said no, but the offer is still standing just in case.

I am know looking into other ways of establishing my name .
    My ******** page is my biggest platform I have around 800 likes, I'm posting 3x per week every week with info and tips ect ect . I haven't started online coaching as I struggle with doing so. Face to face in the gym I can sell anything but over the computer I find it harder to create that connection you importantly need. What I am asking is to kick start my online side of things is it just a matter of staying consistent with my posts and waiting ?
    Well, staying consistent with your posting actually does pay off in the long run, but not immediately. So yes, that is a good thing to be doing, even if it doesn't generate much response right now. Here, check out this video on the topic of posting content, even if nobody is listening right away:

As far as waiting for online clients to come to you, that isn't the best strategy. I know you didn't use that for your existing business, so don't use it for your online business. Find people who are asking questions and answer them. Give them something valuable for free, without asking for anything and start building your name and reputation up. Again, this can take time, but every question you answer and every person you help is a step in the right direction.

Eventually, you can let people know you are offering online program design in your posts too. Give them a way to contact you at the bottom of each post. Show client testimonials and pictures to them as part of your posts. Market market market!! You have to tell people what you're offering or they'll never know.

All as I couldn't be happier with my busy schedule of PT clients I also have looked into high end PT. Basically Finding high end clients but offering more of a service. What's your thoughts on this?
    Would you mind elaborating on this service? I always thought it would be awesome to have a few wealthy clients who I grocery shopped for, perhaps made a couple of meals for per day, trained multiple times per week, and was always on call to answer training/nutrition questions for. I figure if you're doing a detailed service like that, a salary of 30-40K per year would be justified. Do that for a few people and you're set.
    Again, sorry for the delay!

ShreddedBrahhh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShreddedBrahhh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShreddedBrahhh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShreddedBrahhh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShreddedBrahhh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShreddedBrahhh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShreddedBrahhh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShreddedBrahhh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShreddedBrahhh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShreddedBrahhh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShreddedBrahhh will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks for the info Ryan

I do 15hrs of gym hours to pay for my rent . Inductions ect

I will check out the video thanks
    I put out content up regardless 2-3 x per week every week as I know consistency breeds success .

The high end clientele for me would be someone I would be training 3-4 x per week with a correct nutritional plan to follow with daily check ins of what they have ate and I would assist in the food shop and keep them right . I would give them sports massages as part of the package as in a fully qualified sports massage therapist . I would also be coaching them before the session almost like a lesson in explaining what we will be doing that day.

For this service i would charge a lot higher of a rate .

i know add value and you get rewarded but how would you reccomend pricing for this I know it would be at least 2-4 x my normal rate but how would you know what to charge on average . I know my high end services may differ from yours but what would we charge ? You mentioned 30-40k .. Is that per client ?

As far as marketing goes to find these clients I would mainly be looking st buisness owners in the area and emailing hen directly with my services . Would You market and approach this differently ?
    Last edited by ShreddedBrahhh; 09-22-2016 at 06:32 AM.
    JS-Fitness

goexfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) goexfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) goexfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) goexfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) goexfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) goexfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) goexfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) goexfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) goexfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) goexfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) goexfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey Ryan,

First off, I want to say thanks a ton for this thread! I've been learning a great deal about what good PT's do for their clients for both acquisition and retention. It's awesome that you've been sharing your experience as a successful PT to propel other forward in their careers.

I want note that although I'm not a PT myself I still enjoy a good workout! I believe that while personal training is important, the online tools available to PTs are a bit... limited. As a potential client, I actually went online to research tools which would not only connect me with a good PT but would make receiving and tracking workouts quick and easy. However, I couldn't find anything that really nailed what I was looking for so I've actually created an open platform to make online training more accessible and easier for both Trainers and Clients.

Right now, I have the structure of an app called Go eX Fitness which I believe could really change the landscape of online training for the better and I'd really appreciate any feedback you can provide. I actually have a couple of questions about what led you to succeed in your online training ventures so I can make this tool as useful to Trainers as possible.

1) How do you currently practice online training? What tool(s) do you use for the online part of your business (making workouts, interacting with Clients, etc)?

2) Without in-person interaction, how do you maintain your relationship online with clients (keeping things interesting)? Do you simply send your Clients workouts/meals or is there more key info going back and forth?

3) What kind of payment structure does your online business have? Have you ever done in-person training in combination with online training for individual Clients?

4) How do you convey the value of personal training (online especially) to potential clients? You mentioned in an earlier post about 'being present' at local gyms but this seems more difficult in practice online.

I'm asking all this to make the best online Client management tool out there for PTs. If you've got anything else to add which you think is important to online training, please let me know.
    Easily connect with your Clients online with Go eX Fitness. With Go eX, you can create workouts from your own templates, automatically track your Client's fitness metrics and even list and sell your own services!

Available for public testing for both Android and iOS. Check out our website at goexfitness.com for more details.

Android: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.goex.fitness

iOS: Fill out the form on the site!

Thanks for the info Ryan

I do 15hrs of gym hours to pay for my rent . Inductions ect.
    That's a great little setup you have going on there? 15 hours per month I'm guessing, which is next to nothing and you probably make some PT sales during that time too.

I will check out the video thanks.
    I put out content up regardless 2-3 x per week every week as I know consistency breeds success.
    The video talks about the importance of 'filling up your shop' with content. You never know when someone is going to stop by your shop and if it's an empty hole in the wall, they certainly won't be buying anything and won't be telling anyone about it either. In the opposite situation, the outcomes are much better.

The high end clientele for me would be someone I would be training 3-4 x per week with a correct nutritional plan to follow with daily check ins of what they have ate and I would assist in the food shop and keep them right . I would give them sports massages as part of the package as in a fully qualified sports massage therapist . I would also be coaching them before the session almost like a lesson in explaining what we will be doing that day.

For this service i would charge a lot higher of a rate .

i know add value and you get rewarded but how would you reccomend pricing for this I know it would be at least 2-4 x my normal rate but how would you know what to charge on average . I know my high end services may differ from yours but what would we charge ? You mentioned 30-40k .. Is that per client ?
    I was thinking per client, yes. If you're talking about spending hours per day on a single person and it's hindering you from getting another job, that's reasonable. For wealthy people, this could be just 5-10% of their yearly income, which isn't alot to dedicate to their health and eating throughout the year.

If you are thinking something different, consider how much you wish to make, how many hours you anticipate putting into each client, and come up with a number working things backwards.

As far as marketing goes to find these clients I would mainly be looking st buisness owners in the area and emailing hen directly with my services . Would You market and approach this differently ?
    I would first put together some very impressive and high quality materials to present potential clients with. It has to be seen that you're helping them in multiple areas of their life, as well as that you know what you're doing, have a track record, and are worth it. I personally think this is an interesting concept and if it could be pulled off, your life could be very enjoyable because you'd be doing something you love, focusing on just a few clients, and earning good money at the same time.
    If you end up looking into offering the type of high end service we're talking about, you should keep me updated. Hell, perhaps you could even land just one celebrity, charge them enough for your needs, and get to travel with them or even live in their guest house!

If you end up looking into offering the type of high end service we're talking about, you should keep me updated. Hell, perhaps you could even land just one celebrity, charge them enough for your needs, and get to travel with them or even live in their guest house!
    I think this should be the ultimate goal! haha

Yeah the 15 hours is golden .
    I'm going to do what you mentioned in terms of giving out free advice and even some diet / workout plans ect .
    Have you heard of that "pay as much as you want option " ?
    Basically I would give someone a diet plan for free and as a Thankyou they can leave whatever they think is appropriate $$ and send that over . Not sure if this is a good idea ?
    The high end clientele will be a real test of the marketing skills , picking up clients for one to one training wouldn't be a patch on the higher end target.
    I think I'm going to have to hit the notepad for some ideas on marketing for the high end clients.

Ryan do you have a link to your YouTube Chanel or any other vids you post ? I found the one you sent me really helpful for online coaching . Thanks
    JS-Fitness

Yeah the 15 hours is golden .
    I'm going to do what you mentioned in terms of giving out free advice and even some diet / workout plans ect .
    Have you heard of that "pay as much as you want option " ?
    Basically I would give someone a diet plan for free and as a Thankyou they can leave whatever they think is appropriate $$ and send that over . Not sure if this is a good idea ?
    The high end clientele will be a real test of the marketing skills , picking up clients for one to one training wouldn't be a patch on the higher end target.
    I think I'm going to have to hit the notepad for some ideas on marketing for the high end clients.

Ryan do you have a link to your YouTube Chanel or any other vids you post ? I found the one you sent me really helpful for online coaching . Thanks
    I personally think the 'pay what you want' option will lead to a ton of work time for next-to-no income. That would not be something I'd be up for and would also land you a bunch of non-serious clients. If a service isn't seen as something they're working to pay for, people put little effort into their end of the bargain.

As far as my channel, sure: www.youtube.com/gstauthor

I personally think the 'pay what you want' option will lead to a ton of work time for next-to-no income. That would not be something I'd be up for and would also land you a bunch of non-serious clients. If a service isn't seen as something they're working to pay for, people put little effort into their end of the bargain.

As far as my channel, sure: www.youtube.com/gstauthor
    Good stuff isn't free. Free stuff isn't good.

It'll also take away from your credibility.