Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    afranco527 will become famous soon enough. (+50) afranco527 will become famous soon enough. (+50) afranco527 will become famous soon enough. (+50) afranco527 will become famous soon enough. (+50) afranco527 will become famous soon enough. (+50) afranco527 will become famous soon enough. (+50) afranco527 will become famous soon enough. (+50) afranco527 will become famous soon enough. (+50) afranco527 will become famous soon enough. (+50) afranco527 will become famous soon enough. (+50) afranco527 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What are some things that I should include in my resume? I got my certification last month and eager to start working. I'm not sure what I should include in mine since I do not have "official" experience (meaning I trained close friends, family, and a few athletes at my university because I genuinely wanted to help them, prior to getting my cert). What would a potential employer look for?

Thanks in advance.

www.ABFitnessTrainer.com italianplaya30's Avatar
    italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by 2020Wellness View Post
    If you give me some of your calf muscle, I'll tell you. Ridiculous calves man!

My best advice is for you to ask the local gyms in your area if they have any personal preferences on certification type. After all, you're trying to cater to their wants in the beginning, as they're going to be your source of exposure and potential clients.

Most gyms aren't going to be picky, FYI. NASM, ACE, and other well known certifications should be just fine.

And the truth is that the cert just gets you in the door. Clients don't care about your certification; they care about whether or not you care about them and deliver quality training services!

Great question,

Ryan
    Most gyms do not care about certs...when i was working at a golds gym we took people who had no certifications as long as they got one within a year of working with us

dont stress that...nail the interview part and I am sure you will be fine
    AB Fitness Center
    (The Best Personal Training Gym to Work for in NY)
    Apply Below
    www.ABFitnessCenter.com/career
    Instagram: @abfitness
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by afranco527 View Post
    What are some things that I should include in my resume? I got my certification last month and eager to start working. I'm not sure what I should include in mine since I do not have "official" experience (meaning I trained close friends, family, and a few athletes at my university because I genuinely wanted to help them, prior to getting my cert). What would a potential employer look for?

Thanks in advance.
    Franco,

You should include exactly what you just mentioned; you trained friends and family because you genuinely wanted to help them. If that doesn't show a passion for training, I don't know what does.

Also, include all accomplishments, skills, and anything else you want your potential employee to know about you. Imagine if you were the employer, what would you want to see on a resume? Would you want it to sound like a robot wrote it or a real person?
    trainingwithryan.substack.com

makeitbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Again thanks for all the info 2020, this thread has been worth its weight in gold. I've been making solid progress and even have a few co-workers that are asking me to train them. I'll keep bumping it up so other aspiring PT's can see this thread as well.

I have a couple new questions for you....

-If you were to look back at when you first started what are some things you would do differently?
    -What are the biggest obstacles we can expect to encounter and how did you overcome them?
    -Realistically how much can I expect to gross my first year doing online training while working a full time job? Obviously there are a lot of variables here. But assuming I'm working 15-20 hours a week on it and have solid experience closing sales for a fortune 500 company.

-Garrett

2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by makeitbrah View Post
    Again thanks for all the info 2020, this thread has been worth its weight in gold. I've been making solid progress and even have a few co-workers that are asking me to train them. I'll keep bumping it up so other aspiring PT's can see this thread as well.
    Garrett, that's what I want to see from people in here; bigger incomes, bigger businesses, and more happier lives because of those things.

I have a couple new questions for you....

-If you were to look back at when you first started what are some things you would do differently?
    Well, it's hard to point out major things that I did wrong, because I feel I've accomplished something impressive in building a successful business during the toughest years of my life due to personal reasons.

However, I believe my business could be bigger if I'd done something differently and actually should be doing more of today. What is that one thing? Networking, but not in person with local people, rather online. I would be trying to become friends with other big names in the online world, exchanging shout-outs, promotions, etc. I'm the guy that doesn't work the greatest in groups though, as I just end up wanting to do the project myself so I know it's done correctly, haha. I know that's not ideal for building a business as big as possible, so it's something I could improve on and should've improved on from the start.

-What are the biggest obstacles we can expect to encounter and how did you overcome them?
    Again, I can't say I've had any major obstacles to overcome. My business has fallen into place quite well and I haven't had anything but growth since my start.

My biggest 'obstacle' actually came before even starting my training career at all. People didn't think I should do it, including members of my family. My wife was behind me all the way, but that's nearly it.

This is why I tell people that I simply refused to do anything else when they ask me how I built a business from nothing.

-Realistically how much can I expect to gross my first year doing online training while working a full time job? Obviously there are a lot of variables here. But assuming I'm working 15-20 hours a week on it and have solid experience closing sales for a fortune 500 company.
    Well, let's say you line up 10 solid clients at $30-60 per week, depending on what you find your price point sweet spot to be. That's going to be an extra $300-$600 dollars per week or $1200-$2400 dollars per month. You know how to extrapolate that out to a year's worth of income. Those are attainable numbers too, I'm not just randomly choosing potential cost of services.

-Garrett
    See Bold and I'll be on the watch for your follow-up.

Ryan

ADO22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ADO22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ADO22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ADO22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ADO22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ADO22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ADO22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ADO22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ADO22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ADO22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ADO22 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey Ryan,

Really appreciate this post, exactly the type of thread I was looking for.

Quick background - I'm here to help my buddy, Ryan, who is a personal trainer at the gym I used to work at/currently workout at. He has a solid base of clients of around 10 (the summer is his off season as he works another full time job, will bump this number up over fall/winter/spring). He's a great guy and just had a baby girl several weeks ago with his wife. He has a great wealth of knowledge and passion for the sport of body building. Also worth noting that there are some seriously great up and coming body builders at our gym that are always there to help him help others if needed.

Here's where I come in, I've created a few small businesses of my own and have a solid knowledge of social media/web development. Unfortunately none of that knowledge is in the fitness industry but I believe I can still be a great help. I am in the process of designing him a logo/brand that will look great on business cards/social media/his website/and t-shirts. After the logo/branding is in place I plan to work on the website and help with social media.. hopefully have everything set up by end of Oct. by the latest.

So now that you have some info I have a few questions for you.. I apologize if you've answered these I skimmed over most of the thread and don't believe you have.

- Based on some data I found on the Reddit.com/r/fitness out of 1200 polled 400 said they would be willing to pay for online workout plans/diets. Of those 400 I believe 250 said they would do it for $10, and 150 said they would do it for $20. So my question is how do you recommend pricing things? And also how do you package things? For example, do you sell JUST workout plans and diets separately as in a one time diet/workout for a base price of say $20? Then do you sell a separate service of "Coaching" a week/month to week/month basis? In the coaching service we would look at progress pictures, their workout data, weight, ect.. to possibly change up their diet/workout for better results.. obviously a much better service than JUST one time diet/workout plan. I believe there is more than likely a market for each but I'd like to hear your suggestions as well as comments regarding pricing?

- Where is the best way to start advertising for such services? I believe in Ryan's knowledge/passion, he has said he is more than willing to do weekly videos for YouTube as well as weekly written blogs which I believe could be great for SEO/website. I have warned him that no matter what route we go with it is likely to be slow to start but if we stick with it we should start to see results. I think you mentioned FB advertising has been beneficial to you.. do you mind sharing what type of ad you posted and to what demographics? Do you believe Instagram can still be effective, I know it's pretty flooded with "online trainers" so it's hard to weed through the BS?

- I'm trying to think of certain things to make him stand out, do you have any suggestions? For starters I am having his website/instragram/youtube/whatever look very professional. We live about an hour North of Boston, MA in New Hampshire so simply having a professional website/design should put him ahead of the local competition.. do we try to capitalize on that, maybe with how we run our FB ads?

- Any other advice on how to reach a large audience would be appreciate. Ryan's a great and deserving guy and I know if he just get's his name/what he has to offer to enough people he can do great.

Thanks again.

Andrew

EDIT - Just thought of this, do you think it would be possible to get some news coverage of Ryan? The story could be how to trains mothers who recently gave birth to get back in shape? He trains with his wife who got back into great shape right away.
    Last edited by ADO22; 09-17-2015 at 08:43 PM.

makeitbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    See Bold and I'll be on the watch for your follow-up.

Ryan
    I appreciate it, that's some really good advice. The network thing is something I do everyday at work, but never thought about reaching out the big influencers in the fitness world online. Definitely something I'm going to start implementing and working on. Sorry for the late reply work has been crazy with Q3 coming to a close.

Originally Posted by makeitbrah View Post
    I appreciate it, that's some really good advice. The network thing is something I do everyday at work, but never thought about reaching out the big influencers in the fitness world online. Definitely something I'm going to start implementing and working on. Sorry for the late reply work has been crazy with Q3 coming to a close.
    Don't worry about it. I've been busy too, in a good way.

Ryan

Originally Posted by ADO22 View Post
    Hey Ryan,

Really appreciate this post, exactly the type of thread I was looking for.
    Good to hear that.

Quick background - I'm here to help my buddy, Ryan, who is a personal trainer at the gym I used to work at/currently workout at. He has a solid base of clients of around 10 (the summer is his off season as he works another full time job, will bump this number up over fall/winter/spring). He's a great guy and just had a baby girl several weeks ago with his wife. He has a great wealth of knowledge and passion for the sport of body building. Also worth noting that there are some seriously great up and coming body builders at our gym that are always there to help him help others if needed.

Here's where I come in, I've created a few small businesses of my own and have a solid knowledge of social media/web development. Unfortunately none of that knowledge is in the fitness industry but I believe I can still be a great help. I am in the process of designing him a logo/brand that will look great on business cards/social media/his website/and t-shirts. After the logo/branding is in place I plan to work on the website and help with social media.. hopefully have everything set up by end of Oct. by the latest.
    Any pics of the logo? It sounds like you're his business coach, correct?

So now that you have some info I have a few questions for you.. I apologize if you've answered these I skimmed over most of the thread and don't believe you have.

- Based on some data I found on the Reddit.com/r/fitness out of 1200 polled 400 said they would be willing to pay for online workout plans/diets.
    These are just numbers from the general population or a fitness-minded group?

Of those 400 I believe 250 said they would do it for $10, and 150 said they would do it for $20. So my question is how do you recommend pricing things?
    These are one time fees, weekly fees, or monthly fees?? Check out post #125 above. I talk about cost pricing numbers in my response to another thread member.

And also how do you package things?
    I have 4 week intro packs for training, 6 week intro packs for nutrition, and 24 week longer term packages for training, nutrition, or training + nutrition.

For example, do you sell JUST workout plans and diets separately as in a one time diet/workout for a base price of say $20?
    I do that too, yes. As a supplement to buying my book, I offer a one time design for $20.00. The user then uses the book and it's guidelines to execute the plan I lay out for them.

Then do you sell a separate service of "Coaching" a week/month to week/month basis?
    Yes, and my coaching services entail weekly frequency.

In the coaching service we would look at progress pictures, their workout data, weight, ect.. to possibly change up their diet/workout for better results.. obviously a much better service than JUST one time diet/workout plan. I believe there is more than likely a market for each but I'd like to hear your suggestions as well as comments regarding pricing?
    Check out post #125 for an idea of coaching pricing. My book is currently $9.99 on Amazon and the supplementary program design is $20.00.

- Where is the best way to start advertising for such services? I believe in Ryan's knowledge/passion, he has said he is more than willing to do weekly videos for YouTube as well as weekly written blogs which I believe could be great for SEO/website. I have warned him that no matter what route we go with it is likely to be slow to start but if we stick with it we should start to see results. I think you mentioned FB advertising has been beneficial to you.. do you mind sharing what type of ad you posted and to what demographics? Do you believe Instagram can still be effective, I know it's pretty flooded with "online trainers" so it's hard to weed through the BS?
    I recommend as many social media sites that you can handle and stick with consistently. ********, YouTube, forums, Instagram, etc. When it comes to social media marketing, I recommend checking out Gary Vee on YouTube.

When I say advertising on ********, it's primarily not paid advertising. I'm just talking about my posts showing testimonials, bits of useful information, etc.

- I'm trying to think of certain things to make him stand out, do you have any suggestions?
    I just recommend providing information that's valuable to people on social media. That is what people want, along with some humorous posts for fun. He has to find his niche and own it.

- Any other advice on how to reach a large audience would be appreciate. Ryan's a great and deserving guy and I know if he just get's his name/what he has to offer to enough people he can do great.
    He just has to continually pound the social media pavement and realize that a business takes time to grow. Typically, people refer to a growth period of 5 years.

EDIT - Just thought of this, do you think it would be possible to get some news coverage of Ryan?
    That's impossible for me to say. All you need to do is call into the news station and ask.

The story could be how to trains mothers who recently gave birth to get back in shape? He trains with his wife who got back into great shape right away.
    Anything is possible. Most of the time it just comes down to asking nicely.
    Thanks for reaching in my direction for advice sir. After reading my responses above, let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Ryan

Pro Trainer Tip #433

Plan AHEAD for the fitness industry's busiest season, Winter!

Do you have a plan in place for New Year's promotion?

How about holiday gifts for your clients?

NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Tremendous thread with a wealth of information Ryan! Reps
    advertising not permitted

Originally Posted by NaturalPursuit View Post
    Tremendous thread with a wealth of information Ryan! Reps
    Thanks Alex! Have a question yourself?

NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks Alex! Have a question yourself?
    Yes I do!

You said you primarily obtain business from ******** via self advertising. Exactly what does that mean if you wouldn't mind breaking it down for us. Do you post progress pictures and share them? Client pictures? Services offered?

Yes I do!

You said you primarily obtain business from ******** via self advertising. Exactly what does that mean if you wouldn't mind breaking it down for us. Do you post progress pictures and share them? Client pictures? Services offered?
    Great question and here are a few examples of the type of posts I make, which lead to exposure, displaying my knowledge to others, showing off my own results and client results, etc. I provide information to my followers and then typically also attach my contact information, really focusing on getting the point across that I am a real person and they can reach out and talk to me directly at any time.

Each link is an example post!

https://www.********.com/growthstimu...89601561076406

https://www.********.com/growthstimu...87833497919879

https://www.********.com/growthstimu...590178644211:0

https://www.********.com/growthstimu...52301634806399

https://www.********.com/growthstimu...726335363929:0

https://www.********.com/growthstimu...436427092920:0

Great question and here are a few examples of the type of posts I make, which lead to exposure, displaying my knowledge to others, showing off my own results and client results, etc. I provide information to my followers and then typically also attach my contact information, really focusing on getting the point across that I am a real person and they can reach out and talk to me directly at any time.

Each link is an example post!

https://www.********.com/growthstimu...89601561076406

https://www.********.com/growthstimu...87833497919879

https://www.********.com/growthstimu...590178644211:0

https://www.********.com/growthstimu...52301634806399

https://www.********.com/growthstimu...726335363929:0

https://www.********.com/growthstimu...436427092920:0
    Checking them all out now! Much appreciated reply

I actually have a follow up question.

With the ******** posts, how do you get them shared out to a broader audience? Obviously all of your followers will see this and may share but how do you expand your clientele base via ******** if not paying for promoting them as ads?

Thanks in advance!

I actually have a follow up question.

With the ******** posts, how do you get them shared out to a broader audience? Obviously all of your followers will see this and may share but how do you expand your clientele base via ******** if not paying for promoting them as ads?

Thanks in advance!
    I guess the posts are effective enough, and my reputation has been built up strong enough over the past 6 years, that they're effective even without always doing ads. I'll boost some from time to time, but that doesn't seem to equate to more business.

MikeCaulo is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeCaulo is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeCaulo is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeCaulo is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeCaulo is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeCaulo is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeCaulo is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeCaulo is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeCaulo is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeCaulo is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeCaulo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    What are your thoughts on email marketing, landing pages, lead magnets, content upgrades, upsells and more etc.

Originally Posted by MikeCaulo View Post
    What are your thoughts on email marketing, landing pages, lead magnets, content upgrades, upsells and more etc.
    Hey Mike,

I personally feel email marketing is about dead, unless you're emailing previous customers and current customers.

I am actually not as up-to-date with my website as I should be. It's an admitted weak spot in my business arsenal. You'll have to explain what a lead magnet is, if you don't mind.

Up sells are definitely valuable, IMO. What are you up selling from to?

Pro Trainer Tip #45

Want job more security? Revise your training agreement lengths, making them longer. Aim to sell yearly packages, not weekly or monthly. I've found that clients have no problem agreeing to a 1 year training package, as long as they can pay monthly.

highhorse is on a distinguished road. (+10) highhorse is on a distinguished road. (+10) highhorse is on a distinguished road. (+10) highhorse is on a distinguished road. (+10) highhorse is on a distinguished road. (+10) highhorse is on a distinguished road. (+10) highhorse is on a distinguished road. (+10) highhorse is on a distinguished road. (+10) highhorse is on a distinguished road. (+10) highhorse is on a distinguished road. (+10) highhorse is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for all the great info so far, Ryan.

First off, I just wanted to thank you dude. I didn't feel right approaching clients during a workout to try to sell them something, I know I wouldn't appreciate it. I used your idea to have potential clients write down their info at the front desk and I would contact them to set up a free consultation. I do have some questions some other questions though, any help is greatly appreciated.

I want to get involved with online training, so far I've decided I only want to work with clients that are local and do an in-person fitness assessment, for whatever the clients goals are. Then I know I want to develop a workout program for the client. I would develop a cardio program, strength training routine, flexibility work and whatever else would be needed for a client to reach their goals. My question is, is that, combined with email support and progress tracking enough? Or am I missing some aspect of online training?

I can't complain. I am finally getting some clients and my employer is working with me, to get me started teaching a group class. I am working on developing online training and overall those things seem clear. However, I am in college and it has me thinking about career options and salary potential. Are there other jobs outside personal training? I keep seeing corporate wellness, performance coach, and a million other titles and job settings. Are there other careers personal trainers could branch out into?

Thanks again!

John

Originally Posted by highhorse View Post
    Thanks for all the great info so far, Ryan.
    You're welcome HH and thank you for posting. I apologize that I took so long to see this. It slipped by in my User CP somehow.

First off, I just wanted to thank you dude. I didn't feel right approaching clients during a workout to try to sell them something, I know I wouldn't appreciate it. I used your idea to have potential clients write down their info at the front desk and I would contact them to set up a free consultation. I do have some questions some other questions though, any help is greatly appreciated.
    Ya, that method of cold-approaching is uncomfortable and it's literally impossible to NOT come across as a used car salesman when you do it. To this day, I've NEVER done it and never will. Market smarter by thinking about what the customer wants, not you.

I want to get involved with online training, so far I've decided I only want to work with clients that are local and do an in-person fitness assessment, for whatever the clients goals are. Then I know I want to develop a workout program for the client. I would develop a cardio program, strength training routine, flexibility work and whatever else would be needed for a client to reach their goals. My question is, is that, combined with email support and progress tracking enough? Or am I missing some aspect of online training?
    You're actually going to be doing MORE than most online coaches do because you'll have that initial in-person assessment. However, that assessment isn't necessary and you shouldn't limit yourself to local clients for online coaching. The point of online coaching is to penetrate a larger market, known as Earth. Start locally, then expand naturally as your online coaching business and methods grown and improve.

I can't complain. I am finally getting some clients and my employer is working with me, to get me started teaching a group class. I am working on developing online training and overall those things seem clear. However, I am in college and it has me thinking about career options and salary potential. Are there other jobs outside personal training? I keep seeing corporate wellness, performance coach, and a million other titles and job settings. Are there other careers personal trainers could branch out into?
    Well, you can become a gym owner, a studio owner who has employees, a strength coach for a professional team or college organization, to name a few. You can become a fitness author for added passive income, which is only a good idea. I believe it's really not that different with any other career path out there. You can work for someone and get by as a basic trainer or a corporate wellness advisor, or you can work extra hard and build your own business in the industry. I suggest doing the latter in your spare time, while doing the former as a temporary means of funding your life.

Thanks again!

John
    See Bold John!

katlynharris is on a distinguished road. (+10) katlynharris is on a distinguished road. (+10) katlynharris is on a distinguished road. (+10) katlynharris is on a distinguished road. (+10) katlynharris is on a distinguished road. (+10) katlynharris is on a distinguished road. (+10) katlynharris is on a distinguished road. (+10) katlynharris is on a distinguished road. (+10) katlynharris is on a distinguished road. (+10) katlynharris is on a distinguished road. (+10) katlynharris is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    For a trainer just starting out, would you recommend running a promotion where existing clients get a discounted session if they refer someone that signs up for a session?

Originally Posted by katlynharris View Post
    For a trainer just starting out, would you recommend running a promotion where existing clients get a discounted session if they refer someone that signs up for a session?
    Katlyn,

Great question as your first post in this thread. To be honest, it's not a bad idea, but it's not something I'd expect a ton of new clients from. Here's why:

The existing client may save some money on a future session, but it's not going to be a major amount that they're saving. They won't be compelled to put in much effort in finding you a new client because they really aren't making much money in return for their efforts. Expecting your business to grow from existing clients working to find new clients for you isn't a reliable method.

It's just like when a gym offers a free few months of membership for a member that refers a couple of new members; not much happens. People just don't want to put in work to refer their friends when the return isn't worth it to them.

Your clients are paying you their hard earned money so you help them, not so they can find clients for you. Just don't expect a bunch of referrals and be careful how much you push those existing clients to bring in referrals. You don't want to overstep your bounds. Use your instincts on how you talk about that promotion and who you mention it to.

Thanks for the question!

Ryan

Pro Trainer Tip #5

Make sure you figure out your clients' birthdays and present them with a small, but meaningful gift. Don't give them a shaker cup or something like that, give them something that you know they'll like due to a past conversation while training. If someone did that for you, it'd feel great, right?

messiftw is on a distinguished road. (+10) messiftw is on a distinguished road. (+10) messiftw is on a distinguished road. (+10) messiftw is on a distinguished road. (+10) messiftw is on a distinguished road. (+10) messiftw is on a distinguished road. (+10) messiftw is on a distinguished road. (+10) messiftw is on a distinguished road. (+10) messiftw is on a distinguished road. (+10) messiftw is on a distinguished road. (+10) messiftw is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hello Ryan, enjoying your thread a lot.

My question is: "What makes clients choose you over 1000 other trainers that can be hired for coaching in the other gyms in town?"

Originally Posted by messiftw View Post
    Hello Ryan, enjoying your thread a lot.

My question is: "What makes clients choose you over 1000 other trainers that can be hired for coaching in the other gyms in town?"
    Great question. I'd say that in the beginning, it was just pure hustle on my part. I made sure to be present in the gym I was working at, I provided great information and good display of knowledge and common courtesy/wasn't intimidating during consultations, and I also looked the part. To me, that's a trifecta for success.

You have to be present to make a sale.

You have to make it clear to the potential client that you know what you're talking about and tell them how you plan to help them, specifically.

You have to practice what you preach, looking the part and showing them an example of what they can become if they work with you.

These are all great things in the beginning of your career, as the reputation aspect doesn't exist yet.

As you put in your time building your business and maintaining it, your reputation begins to grow in your area. From that point on, you have the trifecta PLUS reputation. When you have that reputation added in, you can be confident that when you want new clients, you're going to have little trouble getting them.

Thanks for posting!

Ryan

Bump for those New Year's strategizing questions!

highhorse is on a distinguished road. (+10) highhorse is on a distinguished road. (+10) highhorse is on a distinguished road. (+10) highhorse is on a distinguished road. (+10) highhorse is on a distinguished road. (+10) highhorse is on a distinguished road. (+10) highhorse is on a distinguished road. (+10) highhorse is on a distinguished road. (+10) highhorse is on a distinguished road. (+10) highhorse is on a distinguished road. (+10) highhorse is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Ryan,

Thanks again for the suggestions. I took your advice and figured out it would be better to separate my in-person training from my online. Can you give me some advice on developing the online business. Any tips you could recommend or even a sample structure?

For in-person sessions, I do a consultation, fitness assessments, write up a program, then work with the client session by session. For online training, when you remove the objective information from those assessments, it seems too simple. I want to generate more revenue through online training, while making sure I can still deliver great results.

Maybe I'm overthinking it? Lol.

What would you consider a fair price for online training, monthly or even in a longer package deal?

Also what are your thoughts on the sustainability working in this field? You've obviously done great, however from some stuff I've read, that's the exception rather than the rule.

Thanks again!

John

Originally Posted by highhorse View Post
    Ryan,

Thanks again for the suggestions. I took your advice and figured out it would be better to separate my in-person training from my online. Can you give me some advice on developing the online business. Any tips you could recommend or even a sample structure?
    I'm not sure what you mean by a sample structure, but I can tell you that the key is to provide value to potential clients and existing clients. Developing a business is all about promoting it in a way that people benefit from, even if they buy anything. In my own business development, which is a never-ending process btw, I provide information to people for free and I also let them know that I help people through paid services. When they see that I'm reliable with my information, produce results for clients in person and online, and am there to help them before they are actually on my client list, they want to become my client. You can't just spam people like I often see. That's pushy, aggressive, and people are very turned off by a 'salesman.'

For in-person sessions, I do a consultation, fitness assessments, write up a program, then work with the client session by session. For online training, when you remove the objective information from those assessments, it seems too simple. I want to generate more revenue through online training, while making sure I can still deliver great results.
    I'm wondering what you mean by 'remove the objective information.' You can do an online questionnaire that includes the same questions you would ask a local client you're sitting next to. You can then assess them based on their answers to your questions, write up your programming for them, and deliver it to them in the manner that you like. I prefer weekly delivery.

Believe it or not, my online clients generally achieve greater results than my local clients. I attribute this to how serious a person needs to be in order to sign up for online training. It's a larger commitment when they have to do their training 100% on their own time without someone next to them physically guiding them through it.

Maybe I'm overthinking it? Lol.

What would you consider a fair price for online training, monthly or even in a longer package deal?
    This totally depends on your demographic. Younger people typically don't have the funds that an established middle-aged group has. My advice here is to think about how much YOU want to make through online income and then think about how many clients YOU want to be working with online. Divide your desired monthly income by the number of clients you think you can work with and you'll have your pricing per client. Now, if the number is ridiculously high, like $400/month per client, you know you'll have to change something. However, if it's $100/month, that may be a starting point for you. As you evolve as an online trainer, so will your pricing.

Also what are your thoughts on the sustainability working in this field? You've obviously done great, however from some stuff I've read, that's the exception rather than the rule.
    If you have passion and it's something you want to do, it's sustainable. If you're not that into it, you probably won't survive.

Thanks again!

John
    You're welcome John! Great questions,

Ryan