Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by makeitbrah View Post
    Since most people will train after normal business hours is it feasible to say that I could train 2-3 clients a week while working full time?
    Yes, I do think that's feasible. You could probably train more than that, depending on how many evenings you want to book up.

I really want to hit those niche clients that would be worth investing my time in and that are willing to pay for high quality training. And for someone starting out do you think it would be smart to go right into offering 6+ month commitments with my clients?
    Definitely! The longer the training package you can sell, the better job security it is for you. And honestly, clients get more fulfilling results working with a quality trainer long term. Your niche market isn't interested in quick fixes, and you can use that as a selling point. They're interested in a quality trainer who can help them maintain a fit LIFESTYLE forever.

If you're going to do a write up on making the switch from the 9-5 to a personal trainer I would be very interested in reading it, and I'm certain there are many others out there that would be as well.
    That's my hope, haha. It's a long term project, as writing a book isn't something you just turn out quickly. But I can tell you this, it's going to be content that'll roll off my tongue!
    See my points in bold!
    trainingwithryan.substack.com

MARCMANtheDUDE is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARCMANtheDUDE is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARCMANtheDUDE is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARCMANtheDUDE is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARCMANtheDUDE is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARCMANtheDUDE is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARCMANtheDUDE is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARCMANtheDUDE is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARCMANtheDUDE is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARCMANtheDUDE is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARCMANtheDUDE is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey man, thanks for doing this!

My background:
    I have worked in a studio - never in a gym so no one knows me. I also have singed a non-soliciting agreement so I cannot take my clients with me. I have no clients of my own and do not have any relationships with gyms.

I have been told that PT is more about connecting to your clients then the knowledge you bring. While this sounds like a stretch, is there some truth to this?

Which is better: converted garage/basement or opening a studio?

Also, if you build it, will they come or is having a foot in a local gym essential?

Have you tried going to client's house?

2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by MARCMANtheDUDE View Post
    Hey man, thanks for doing this!
    You're welcome! Sorry for the delayed response. Every once in awhile I back off the internet for a few days to keep the balance.

My background:
    I have worked in a studio - never in a gym so no one knows me. I also have singed a non-soliciting agreement so I cannot take my clients with me. I have no clients of my own and do not have any relationships with gyms.

I have been told that PT is more about connecting to your clients then the knowledge you bring. While this sounds like a stretch, is there some truth to this?
    This is certainly a fact. You have to enter the client's mind and think about whether or not you would invest and continue to invest in someone you didn't enjoy being around and relate to. When you really think about that, you'll realize how important client relationships become.

I have clients who I've met weekly for the past 8 years, and it's absolutely normal for people to stick with me for multiple years. I'm very confident this is because I keep them strong, injury free, feeling good, and importantly, am reliable and very nice to them. They feel confident in my knowledge, but also feel comfortable when they're with me. It's important in any service field. Would you spend money on someone you didn't get along with and didn't respect?

And just one more reason to add about why the relationship can trump the knowledge; the client doesn't have the knowledge in the first place, so they don't know if they're getting the best or if they're getting nonsense. It's your moral and ethical responsibility to be a great trainer and bring top notch knowledge to the table. But as far as the client, unless they research on their own, they'll never know the difference.

Which is better: converted garage/basement or opening a studio?
    It all depends on what you're trying to do.

For me, I'm not trying to open a big training business in town, where I'd hire other trainers, pay for advertising, pay for rent, etc.

In my strong opinion, if you're doing it on your own and not sharing the financial burden with anyone else, I'd go the safest route first. That route is the home studio.

1. Anything you buy for it can be transferred to a strip mall studio in the future, so it's not money wasted.

2. You don't have to commute.

3. You are in full control of presentation, noise, etc.

4. People won't mind where you're at, as long as it's valuable/worthwhile for them to come and see you.

Also, if you build it, will they come or is having a foot in a local gym essential?
    I did not build mine without first being an established trainer at a local gym. I had a few clients who started with me at the gym, stopped training for a bit for whatever reason, and then when they wanted to start back up, I took them as my own home clients.

Word of mouth always plays the largest role in obtaining new clients. To be honest, I've NEVER ran a single ad in the paper. I've marketed on social media, youtube, etc.......but never advertised locally and have been fine.

Have you tried going to client's house?
    I did some of this when I was starting out. It's possible to do this, but you really don't want to be spending hours per day commuting because it's wasting time that could be spend training clients back to back at a single location.

BTW, I should mention that I've only trained clients at their homes who had home gyms. I wasn't carting around equipment. If you wanted to transport equipment, I'd highly recommend a set of Power Block dumbbells.
    Great questions Marc and please see my comments above in bold.

PT Tip for Success #761

Print out the plan for every single session with every single client. This does a few GREAT things for you, your client, and your business:

1. You have a plan, which you can execute in smooth fashion. Essentially, you're writing directions for yourself.

2. You maximize your client's purchase by dedicating every minute of their time with you to the session. With no guessing games or forgetting the plan on your part, every minute is used effectively.

3. This is a professional look/action, which you should be aiming for. Be a professional, get viewed as a professional, and be successful like a professional.

makeitbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Really appreciate all the info 2020. Ive been following your advice and grindin away building my network and studying for my cert. I'm sure i'll have more questions later on but now its time to work. Thanks again!

Really appreciate all the info 2020. Ive been following your advice and grindin away building my network and studying for my cert. I'm sure i'll have more questions later on but now its time to work. Thanks again!
    Make those moves!

MARCMANtheDUDE is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARCMANtheDUDE is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARCMANtheDUDE is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARCMANtheDUDE is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARCMANtheDUDE is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARCMANtheDUDE is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARCMANtheDUDE is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARCMANtheDUDE is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARCMANtheDUDE is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARCMANtheDUDE is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARCMANtheDUDE is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thank you very much for answering my questions!

I have reviewed all your answers in this thread and I have additional questions for ya!

1-Can I have a business succeed if I never go to a gym? (I workout out at home)

2- You are part of gym I see; have you ever put your bio on the wall? Does it work?

3- Did you get online PT biz from being on this forum?

4- What is your clients % distribution like between need to lose weight, athlete, bodybuilding, physique, wedding prep, bikini season prep

5- Did you eBook generate PT clients?

6- Do you see most clients once a week?

7- Do you have many who just want one session a month, then get a program for the month to do on their own?

8- Do you tend to give workouts for the days they are not with you?

9- Say you have a client that is disappointed they are not progressing like they want. How do you deal with them?

10- How do you breakdown your hour between warm up, workout, cool down, stretch?

11- Do you discount for family and friends?

That's a lot of Qs! Answer what you want to ;-)

Thank you very much for answering my questions!

I have reviewed all your answers in this thread and I have additional questions for ya!

1-Can I have a business succeed if I never go to a gym? (I workout out at home)
    Yes, anything is possible in business building. It'll just be a little more challenging for you to get seen. When you're training in a gym, you're working in front of people who are working out too. That's not going to ever happen when training one-on-one clients at home. Potential clients won't see you training, which removes an avenue of promotion.

2- You are part of gym I see; have you ever put your bio on the wall? Does it work?
    Yes, I have a bio on the wall. It's mainly testimonial photos and very few words about myself. I see people looking at it often, as it's big with plenty of pictures.

3- Did you get online PT biz from being on this forum?
    Some of my business has originated from this forum, yes.

4- What is your clients % distribution like between need to lose weight, athlete, bodybuilding, physique, wedding prep, bikini season prep
    Local is more 'average Joe' type clients.

Online is typically more serious individuals who compete or train seriously for their own love for the gym. The majority of my competitive clients are female.

5- Did you eBook generate PT clients?
    Yes, it only helps for online clientele. It doesn't generate local clients.

6- Do you see most clients once a week?
    Yes.

7- Do you have many who just want one session a month, then get a program for the month to do on their own?
    I won't do that, so no. Could I do that? Yes.

8- Do you tend to give workouts for the days they are not with you?
    Yes, I have always done this. It's a trademark perk of my services.

9- Say you have a client that is disappointed they are not progressing like they want. How do you deal with them?
    I haven't had anyone voice that concern to me, to be honest.

10- How do you breakdown your hour between warm up, workout, cool down, stretch?
    Typically it's 15 minutes of traditional cardio HIIT work, followed by 35-40 minutes of free weight training. Stretching is done during free weight rest periods. Not everyone is the same though. I'll do all weight training with some, but never all cardio with anyone.

11- Do you discount for family and friends?
    Family, yes. Friends, no.

That's a lot of Qs! Answer what you want to ;-)
    Those were easy questions, so I tackled them all.

Ryan

Originally Posted by 2020Wellness View Post
    Those were easy questions, so I tackled them all.

Ryan
    Sweet!

How would you promote if you only train at home? It sounds like ti would be a MAJOR hurdle to success!

Why do you think your online clients are mostly BBers?

Do you mostly follow your 4days on a week format?

I love that you do 12 month packages, but , to be honest, I am shocked that people who do not know you are willing to do that. Have any expressed concerns?

makeitbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) makeitbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Another question..... Do you think it would be foolish to offer for example a 6 month hands on program and also sell a 1 time purchase program? Like those ones you see that are "tone your abs in 4 weeks".

I'm wondering if my resources would be better spent converting the people buying short term 1 payment programs into longer term customers. Or in your opinion do you think its better to offer a variety of products to cast a bigger net?

I also saw in another thread that you were on pace to clear around $100k this year which is really impressive. Would you mind giving us a break down of where the money is coming from? What % from online, in person, other services etc.
    Last edited by makeitbrah; 08-27-2015 at 10:27 PM.

Sweet!

How would you promote if you only train at home? It sounds like ti would be a MAJOR hurdle to success!
    I use social media as well as local marketing options. Get your business coupon on the back of grocery store receipts, perhaps drop fliers on telephone poles, put a decal on your car, etc. You have to get creative and just get in front of people.

For my wife's therapy practice, we drive around the city and I push signs into the ground at popular intersections, etc. This does work.

Why do you think your online clients are mostly BBers?
    I think for someone to commit to the type of packages I propose, without ever meeting me in person, they need to be more serious about training/nutrition.

Do you mostly follow your 4days on a week format?
    Four days of weight training, yes. Cardio is additional.

I love that you do 12 month packages, but, to be honest, I am shocked that people who do not know you are willing to do that. Have any expressed concerns?
    One work - REPUTATION

Also, if someone expresses a major concern, it's important to provide a counter response that's actually genuine. For me, that response talks about how it's important to view training/nutrition as something that you'll do for years to come. This is not a 12 week lifestyle.
    See bold above.

I also saw in another thread that you were on pace to clear around $100k this year which is really impressive. Would you mind giving us a break down of where the money is coming from? What % from online, in person, other services etc.
    This is a quick question, so I'm going to answer it before signing off. I'll tackle your previous question soon.

I can only give estimates on these percentages, but it'll be good enough to give you all the ideas you need.

Online training income - 75%
    Local training income - 20%
    Passive income/eBook - 5%

Also, I should note that I added a coach to my online team over a year ago now. I was getting too full for my liking, so I hired a trusted client of mine that had been working with me for the previous year. Within a few months, she quit her full time job and now works solely for Team GST. She loves it because she's out of the cubicle, free to work from any place in the world with WiFi, etc.

Hopefully within the next year I'm adding another male to my team. I may or may not be scouting this thread for someone that jumps out at me

See bold above.
    Ryan, did you have more success getting clients for your home gym when you were at Snap or a big gym? (were you ever in a big gym?)
    Do you think city-run rec centers could work as well as private gyms?
    With non-compete and non-solicitation, how would you use them to help your home gym business or do you not use them beyond having another stream of income?
    You see your clients once a week (most of them), but you also give them stuff to do when they are not with you - do that take much time?

Another question..... Do you think it would be foolish to offer for example a 6 month hands on program and also sell a 1 time purchase program? Like those ones you see that are "tone your abs in 4 weeks".
    I don't see anything wrong with a one time purchase program, as that's essentially what my eBook is, especially when they add on the program design option. I'm literally designing a program for them that they can use for a few months for $19.99 (www.growthstimulustraining.com/programdesign). The eBook costs $9.99, so the total cost of those two complimentary items is under $30.00.

Here's the thing though, you'd want to make sure to off that one time design as a last resort. You don't want to give them the option of it right away, because they'll find it attractive based on price alone. A one time design is rarely going to be as effective as 6 months of dedicated coaching. Offer the big guns first, then bring up the smaller product if they're going to walk away without signing up with you.

I'm wondering if my resources would be better spent converting the people buying short term 1 payment programs into longer term customers. Or in your opinion do you think its better to offer a variety of products to cast a bigger net?
    Offer the variety and you'll be able to do both ideas you have going on in this paragraph.
    See Bold.

jdl22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdl22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdl22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdl22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdl22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdl22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdl22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdl22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdl22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdl22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdl22 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Major kudos for "taking the road less traveled by." As a University student myself, the all-too-familiar corporate pursuit is never the only practical approach to any sort of professionalism, and I'm glad to hear that you have managed to succeed without it. I think that's awesome.
    Personal Blog -- littletontwinsfitness.com

BB.com Online Workout Journal -- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168555843

Bench Press 1RM: 255lbs
    Deadlift: 5 reps @ 315lbs
    Squat 1RM: 275lbs

Originally Posted by jdl22 View Post
    Major kudos for "taking the road less traveled by." As a University student myself, the all-too-familiar corporate pursuit is never the only practical approach to any sort of professionalism, and I'm glad to hear that you have managed to succeed without it. I think that's awesome.
    I'm 100% glad I refused to do anything but what I wanted to do. Now I can spend my days hanging out with family, lifting when I want, and never worrying about if I'll make it to work on time as I sit in traffic with an egg mcmuffin.

Whether you're someone currently in the rat race looking to get out, or a person deciding whether to enter the rat race or take the road less traveled, doing what you want to do IS possible.

jdl22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdl22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdl22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdl22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdl22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdl22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdl22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdl22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdl22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdl22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdl22 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Props to you - that's fantastic. Love education myself and am incredibly grateful and happy to be pursuing it. With that said, plunging head first into the next half decade to get myself a reputable degree that I can apply somewhere in the health field.

No more reputable than your path, however; just hard work. Commendable.

BB.com Online Workout Journal -- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168555843

Props to you - that's fantastic. Love education myself and am incredibly grateful and happy to be pursuing it. With that said, plunging head first into the next half decade to get myself a reputable degree that I can apply somewhere in the health field.

No more reputable than your path, however; just hard work. Commendable.
    JDL,

My degree is in Biochemistry, so I'm a fan of education myself. I know all about the college life

JDL,

My degree is in Biochemistry, so I'm a fan of education myself. I know all about the college life
    Must have misread your post, then; was under the assumption you bypassed the education lifestyle to hit the industry head-first with experienced. Biochem's an incredibly hard major of choice. Currently mulling between Bio, Chem and Biopsych myself, with some leaning towards Biopsych for a bit of both the scientific and psychological background of health, nutrition and of course the biological meaning of life.

Awesome to hear that it's worth it coming out from the other side. School's a treacherous path; I'm afraid I'll lose sight of my fitness. It's been hard to find a good balance between the two, as they're both incredibly valuable assets to my life!

Must have misread your post, then; was under the assumption you bypassed the education lifestyle to hit the industry head-first with experienced. Biochem's an incredibly hard major of choice. Currently mulling between Bio, Chem and Biopsych myself, with some leaning towards Biopsych for a bit of both the scientific and psychological background of health, nutrition and of course the biological meaning of life.

Awesome to hear that it's worth it coming out from the other side. School's a treacherous path; I'm afraid I'll lose sight of my fitness. It's been hard to find a good balance between the two, as they're both incredibly valuable assets to my life!
    No, I didn't bypass college. I just didn't choose a path that required my degree once I graduated.

Personally, I recommend college to almost everyone, just because of the social/partying/fun times you experience that would never happen going straight into the workforce right out of highschool.

Do I think college is necessary for career success though? No.

Ryan, did you have more success getting clients for your home gym when you were at Snap or a big gym? (were you ever in a big gym?)
    I was never in a big gym. I have the ability to train clients at a Snap Fitness and an Anytime Fitness, which are both near my home.

There is definitely something to be said about the power of working in a local gym for exposure. I was fortunate enough to use that exposure as my primary marketing method, which didn't cost me a dime. My marketing budget for my business as a whole is something I'm very proud of, because outside of promoting a ******** post every now and then for $5.00, it's ZERO and always has been.

I believe that without the free exposure from working in a local gym, I'd have been spending more cash on local advertising.

Do you think city-run rec centers could work as well as private gyms?
    If it's popular among the community to go there, then yes. If it's dead, then no.

With non-compete and non-solicitation, how would you use them to help your home gym business or do you not use them beyond having another stream of income?
    Can you clarify your question for me?

You see your clients once a week (most of them), but you also give them stuff to do when they are not with you - do that take much time?
    Are you asking if the workouts I give them take them much time to complete or are you asking how much time it physically takes me to draw up their weekly plans?
    See bold.

Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Don't forget about local colleges. They all have gyms and all you need to do is enroll in one class and that would be your 'annual gym membership' because you will be a registered student. Then you can market the students right on campus.
    To succeed at doing what you love, you often must do many things you hate.

No, I didn't bypass college. I just didn't choose a path that required my degree once I graduated.

Personally, I recommend college to almost everyone, just because of the social/partying/fun times you experience that would never happen going straight into the workforce right out of highschool.

Do I think college is necessary for career success though? No.
    Gotcha! Well hopefully I can report back with the same success. Congrats, man. Very inspiring and awesome news to hear!

WellHungOver has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WellHungOver has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WellHungOver has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WellHungOver has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WellHungOver has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WellHungOver has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WellHungOver has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WellHungOver has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WellHungOver has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WellHungOver has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WellHungOver has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Great thread. I am sick of my desk job and am looking into getting in the fitness industry as a personal trainer. I have had a background in sales and it sounds like your approach would be very similar to mine as I don't like a hard sell. I guess my only question would be, and excuse me if you've already answered it, but where should one get their or cert from? There are so many and I know that the answer is subjective but what is your opinion?

Originally Posted by WellHungOver View Post
    Great thread. I am sick of my desk job and am looking into getting in the fitness industry as a personal trainer. I have had a background in sales and it sounds like your approach would be very similar to mine as I don't like a hard sell. I guess my only question would be, and excuse me if you've already answered it, but where should one get their or cert from? There are so many and I know that the answer is subjective but what is your opinion?
    If you give me some of your calf muscle, I'll tell you. Ridiculous calves man!

My best advice is for you to ask the local gyms in your area if they have any personal preferences on certification type. After all, you're trying to cater to their wants in the beginning, as they're going to be your source of exposure and potential clients.

Most gyms aren't going to be picky, FYI. NASM, ACE, and other well known certifications should be just fine.

And the truth is that the cert just gets you in the door. Clients don't care about your certification; they care about whether or not you care about them and deliver quality training services!

Great question,

Ryan

Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by WellHungOver View Post
    Before you invest time and money, decide in which gyms you woukd cinsider working at and be sure the compensation is suitable to you. Make a list of potential clients and do a 'dry run'. Meaning, ask each if you got your certifiction would they hire you and for how long? Basically, you want as much of the truth as possible before you solidify your professional expertise.
    To succeed at doing what you love, you often must do many things you hate.

djsebg is on a distinguished road. (+10) djsebg is on a distinguished road. (+10) djsebg is on a distinguished road. (+10) djsebg is on a distinguished road. (+10) djsebg is on a distinguished road. (+10) djsebg is on a distinguished road. (+10) djsebg is on a distinguished road. (+10) djsebg is on a distinguished road. (+10) djsebg is on a distinguished road. (+10) djsebg is on a distinguished road. (+10) djsebg is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey Ryan,

Business is coming along nicely, made more than I expected to so far which is great, this thread is proving to be really handy!

I've got a couple of questions - how do you handle clients nutritional side? Do you provide them with meal plans/guidance or what's your approach? As you know even a perfect training plan won't work too great if their nutrition isn't up to scratch. I'm basically looking at this from the perspective of my clients progress and motivation could be much better if they were more on target with their nutrition but I'm not sure how to handle this. I can tell them exactly what to do but it's getting them to actually follow through/stick to something/understand it that's proving to be a little more difficult. It seems especially important for fat loss where training hard isn't enough to progress as fast as people would like (or anywhere near as fast as you can make progress happen with a more strict approach).

Generating online clients/pricing - how much of your business would you say comes from you seeking it and how much comes from referrals/word of mouth? I've got a few clients which are doing very well but not at the point yet where I can grab testimonials, I feel like this is making business a bit slow as now my systems are pretty robust I'd like to expand this side of the business as much as I can as the time investment will be quite minimal. I'm also having trouble with setting a price point. The initial clients I took on were at a hefty discount to get things started but now I'm not really sure where to put my pricing, do you have any system for deciding this (perhaps based upon your hourly rate as a PT?) as right now I feel like it's a bit on the cheaper side.
    Personal Trainer/Online Coach - sebgale.com
    DJ/Music Producer - soundcloud.com/sebgale - mixcloud.com/sebgale

Originally Posted by djsebg View Post
    Hey Ryan,

Business is coming along nicely, made more than I expected to so far which is great, this thread is proving to be really handy!
    This is what it's all about! Thanks for telling me man.

I've got a couple of questions - how do you handle clients nutritional side? Do you provide them with meal plans/guidance or what's your approach?
    I'm actually going to copy and paste the general breakdown of my nutrition coaching from www.growthstimulustraining.com/nutrition:

“The reason most ‘diets’ don’t work is because they don’t actually teach the user anything about nutrition. I am the opposite. I teach my clients about nutrition, allowing them to implement that knowledge and control their body for the rest of their life!”
    Ryan Miller

Through his encompassing and comprehensive nutrition service, Ryan has helped 1000s of people learn his effective and sustainable approach to ‘eating with reason.’

As someone who has personally experienced the power and realizes the necessity of a quality nutrition approach in achieving serious results, Ryan recommends his GST eBook/Nutrition Service combo to anyone who is serious about making changes to their body and overall health.

It is a simple fact that without a proper nutrition plan, the effects of any training program will not be maximized.

By enrolling in Ryan’s comprehensive nutrition service, you’ll receive the information and materials explained below.

Ryan provides you with the following:

1. Suggested food choices broken down by their respective macronutrient (protein, carb, fat) category. These are not restrictive lists, just suggestions aimed at feeling and performing your best from day to day.

2. Suggested daily meal/nutrient timing schedule, based on optimal performance in the gym and satiety throughout your day.

3. Supplement advice and recommendations as requested.

4. Plan adjustments when necessary, determined through formal weekly check-ins, which are an important part of Ryan’s nutrition service.

5. Unlimited Q&A with Ryan for the duration of your nutrition coaching.

Ryan’s nutrition service is designed to be an experience, which helps you learn how to eat properly for your particular goal.

Nutrition makes the difference between results and excellent results. You are truthfully not getting the most out of your training program if you are not eating with reason, period.

Ryan allows for 4 weeks of unlimited Q&A regarding your plan, as well as necessary adjustments to fine tune your plan, often known as ‘dialing you in.’ He doesn’t believe in plans that don’t allow you to speak with the creator of those plans.

If you are interested in beginning, Ryan will need to ask you some questions so he can properly compose your plan. This is a not a generic ‘one size fits all’ plan. Each person’s plan is different, as it’s based around their personal answers to Ryan’s nutrition questionnaire.

If you would like to have Ryan assess you nutritionally before committing to his service, answer the following questions and send them to ryan@growthstimulustraining.com.

1. What is your goal with this nutrition plan?

2. What is your current calorie intake? Layout a typical day of eating if you can. Be specific.

3. How long have you been following your current nutrition approach? Has it worked for you?

4. What is your current bodyweight, age, and bodyfat(to the best of your knowledge)?

5. Do you have an active job? How active are you outside the gym? How many days per week do you workout?

6. Do you have any favorite foods (be specific on brand and variety)? Are you using any meal replacements or supplements?

7. What is your current physique goal?

8. Are there issues, concerns, or mentionables that you’d like to share?

9. Do you have any food allergies?

10. Specify any medical conditions that limit, restrict, or dictate your nutritional intake.

11. Please include any current physique pictures.

This service is an investment that you can learn from and use for years to come. It will help you learn about portion sizing, how to figure your daily macronutrient needs, and will help you understand how to eat with reason at all times.

Ryan and his clients know this service is a nutritional tool, rather than a one time use plan.

Quality nutrition makes a WORLD of difference that can only be understood and appreciated once you have learned how to eat properly and put food to work for your particular goals.

As you know even a perfect training plan won't work too great if their nutrition isn't up to scratch.
    That's 100% right. Nobody can outwork a poor diet.

I'm basically looking at this from the perspective of my clients progress and motivation could be much better if they were more on target with their nutrition but I'm not sure how to handle this. I can tell them exactly what to do but it's getting them to actually follow through/stick to something/understand it that's proving to be a little more difficult. It seems especially important for fat loss where training hard isn't enough to progress as fast as people would like (or anywhere near as fast as you can make progress happen with a more strict approach).
    Generally, if someone is paying for something, they'll adhere to it better. Don't forget that! Just throwing some free information at someone and telling them to follow it probably won't turn out well. When they have to invest in a service, it's more valuable to them.

Another thing to remember is that you can always partner up with someone who provides nutritional services and have your clients work with them too. Of course, it would be normal for you to expect a referral payment from your nutrition partner per client you send them.

Generating online clients/pricing - how much of your business would you say comes from you seeking it and how much comes from referrals/word of mouth?
    I would say, as an estimate, it's 70% word of mouth and 30% direct marketing response. And this is free marketing I'm talking about through social media.

I've got a few clients which are doing very well but not at the point yet where I can grab testimonials, I feel like this is making business a bit slow as now my systems are pretty robust I'd like to expand this side of the business as much as I can as the time investment will be quite minimal. I'm also having trouble with setting a price point. The initial clients I took on were at a hefty discount to get things started but now I'm not really sure where to put my pricing, do you have any system for deciding this (perhaps based upon your hourly rate as a PT?) as right now I feel like it's a bit on the cheaper side.
    I think we all start low, slowly improve our services through experience and time, and begin to increase our prices as we realize we're worth it. My advice is to constantly play with your pricing, moving it up little by little. At some point, you're going to hear more 'no' answers than 'yes' answers. That's the point where you went too high, so drop it back and build your business.
    See bold.

Bumping to get this thread in front of some fresh eyes. I'm hungry to answer some questions and help some up-and-coming professionals grow their PT businesses!

Ryan