Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jimmyk21 View Post
    Cool thread, thanks for doing this Ryan. I've owned your GST ebook for years now, great stuff.

Where in your home is your studio? A garage, basement, bedroom?
    Thanks for chiming in Jimmy. If you take a look at the pics a few posts above, you can see that I converted my two stall garage into my studio. I have seen others who have done this, but they didn't take the time to complete the look with quality flooring, walls, lighting, and ceiling material. Also, they typically don't have very good heating and cooling, which I feel is a big mistake.

For around $5000, I was able to make it impossible for anyone to feel like they're in a garage, as you can see from the pics. The only way they can tell is through the garage door, but I also repainted that nice and white, so it's very clean and professional.

The advantage to the garage is that the client doesn't have to walk through your house to get there, so you don't have to worry about having your house clean and professional at all times. The disadvantage is that you lose your parking spot for your cars, but that doesn't bother me actually. To know that I park in my driveway, but saving money, making money, and saving commute time through a home studio outweigh that con.

Any other questions about the studio??

Ryan
    trainingwithryan.substack.com

tpt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tpt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tpt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tpt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tpt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tpt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tpt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tpt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tpt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tpt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tpt is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    what are the main points for gaining clients while working at a residential big chain gym
    Last edited by tpt; 05-29-2015 at 06:19 PM.
    In the RED for fat girl nudes :)

CANNAADAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

THERE is NO such thing as a hard gainer, ONLY a light eater.

Arnold says "The one that goes the farthest is the one that doesn't care about failing."

2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by tpt View Post
    what are the main points for gaining clients while working at a residential big chain gym
    Thanks for contributing. This is a monster question though, and it's something that I could write an entire book on(which I may be doing in the near future). Are there any more specific aspects of 'client finding' that you need help with?

Without hearing something more specific as to where you need help, a few main points are:

1. Be present. Nobody wants to buy training from the manager. People are much more likely to buy training from the trainer.

2. Have an effective consult protocol. In other words, don't just show up and wing your consults. Know what you're going to do from start until you ask them the closing question, 'are you ready to get started?'

3. Be reliable to your existing clients. Don't call in sick if you don't have to, be 15 minutes early to your appointments to you're prepared, be the person that they know will be there for them. This increases your rate of client retention and allows you to be present more(back to point one) so other potential clients can see you working and they'll also see your clients being happy and satisfied with your service.

4. In the beginning, be available when your clients need you to be. You will not have a perfect schedule in the beginning. You'll likely be doing morning appointments, followed by an early afternoon break period, followed by some evening appointments. Basically, you're working when the people working normal hours aren't working.

For now, those some important points to consider for gaining clients at any membership-based gym.

Ryan

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    2. Have an effective consult protocol. In other words, don't just show up and wing your consults. Know what you're going to do from start until you ask them the closing question, 'are you ready to get started?'

Highlighting this one because back when I worked at a big franchise gym, they obviously thought they had an effective protocol. They didn't. They taught us a very clear, effective way to close, which is all well and good, but at no point did they teach us to open. The consultation was geared around customer service as gym members, rather than having any indication that the member would be working with you again (much less paying for it). They even told us to not mention personal training at all until it was time for the close.

I was too stressed at the time to take a step back, think clearly about the situation and develop a better method. So I used their method and got fired for not selling sufficient sessions.

Obviously there's some room for individuality here, but what would you recommend as an effective consultation process?
    SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com

Originally Posted by rdferguson View Post

Highlighting this one because back when I worked at a big franchise gym, they obviously thought they had an effective protocol. They didn't.
    This was the case for me too. When I began with a 24 hour franchise gym, the consult materials they provided included a fitness test, that was to be the primary focus of the consult. The problem with this 'test' is that the average person who felt out of shape enough to reach out for training was destined to fail it. Not only was it pointless, because failing it was imminent, but it also made them feel insecure too, especially in front of me during our very first interaction! As someone who understands that training is not some emotionless process, this wasn't working for me. I wanted a positive connection with the potential client during the consult, not a humiliating experience for them. Needless to say, I completely ditched their 'test' and used my own method going forward.

They taught us a very clear, effective way to close, which is all well and good, but at no point did they teach us to open.
    That's a big problem. The ability to close and make a sale is a result of the entire connection leading up to that moment. It sounds like their management was made up of used car salesmen focused on nothing but tactics that make it difficult for someone to say no. My thought is this; the consult should make the client want to say yes, so 'tactics' don't have to be used in order for them to sign your agreement.

The consultation was geared around customer service as gym members, rather than having any indication that the member would be working with you again (much less paying for it). They even told us to not mention personal training at all until it was time for the close.
    If you're a trainer, trying to gain training clients, I don't see how this makes sense. So this was something that was done with every single member that signed up I take it??

I was too stressed at the time to take a step back, think clearly about the situation and develop a better method. So I used their method and got fired for not selling sufficient sessions.
    Ya, that's pure stupidity. Hey, maybe one of those people who fired you will be on here by chance. That'd be cool, because I'd love to explain to them how moronic their method was, and probably still is!

Obviously there's some room for individuality here, but what would you recommend as an effective consultation process?
    I just started my day, so I'll be coming back to this question later on. I keep it simple, and my answer will reflect that!
    See Bold.

tpt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tpt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tpt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tpt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tpt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tpt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tpt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tpt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tpt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tpt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tpt is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Thanks. I'm going to use them for my interview at a large chain. They asked me for 5 ways that I'm going to use to build my business.

CANNAADAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Arnold says "The one that goes the farthest is the one that doesn't care about failing."

In that case, what will your fifth point be?

mstaveskie66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mstaveskie66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mstaveskie66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mstaveskie66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mstaveskie66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mstaveskie66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mstaveskie66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mstaveskie66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mstaveskie66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mstaveskie66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mstaveskie66 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by 2020Wellness View Post
    2020 Wellness

Can you please go over some of your success with consultation questions?

What seemed to work best/worst?

What helped you build connections?

Was it a short fitness conversation?

Can you post some example questions that you remember.

Thank you so much for the thread

Approach at least 10 a day

CANNAADAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Originally Posted by mstaveskie66 View Post
    2020 Wellness

Can you please go over some of your success with consultation questions?
    I attached one of the generic consultation forms I've used in the past. Feel free to print it, use it, borrow questions from it, and benefit from it.

What seemed to work best/worst?
    What works best is sitting down with the person instead of taking them through a session as a consult. You need to build an actual talking connection with them, as they are about to commit to possibly thousands of dollars with you. Would you spend a good chunk of change on someone who took you through a workout, but that's it? Generally, clients in the gyms are not teenage guys looking to get shredded. They are middle-aged people who believe in conversation, connection, etc. This is important to realize.

It's also very important to realize that most people are actually afraid of trainers. Shows like The Biggest Loser have painted the 'drill sergeant' picture of your average trainer, and people don't want that. They want to be taken through a workout, respected, understood, and related to all at the same time. Actually sitting down and talking with them about the positives and negatives of their current approach works really well. I'm being serious when I say that my closing rate is over 75%. During a consult I don't make people feel bad, I make people feel good.

What helped you build connections?
    Building connections was really about being present at the gym. As I mentioned in comments above, I would go to the gym and just hang out with the manager to be present. When a new member would sign up, the manager would offer them a free consult with me and I'd be right there to schedule it up with the new member. Eventually, I was there more due to performing training sessions. At that point, people were seeing me in action, not just hanging out with the manager.

Was it a short fitness conversation?
    Consults for me take about 50 minutes, and it's all talking. I initially say hi to the person and tell them to take their time and fill out the consultation form, as well as hand them a free bottle of water. During this time, I walk away so I'm not just sitting there making them uncomfortable while they're filling out the form. Once the form is filled out, I sit down and start going over their answers with them. This generates instant consult conversation points, so I'm not sitting there forced to come up with things to say and worry about it being awkward.

Can you post some example questions that you remember.
    You have the file attached to this message, so you've got them all!

Thank you so much for the thread
    You're welcome and See Bold!
    Attached Files

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    See Bold.
    Mmm, about the time that I left that place, I started seeing the significance of making people actually feel good right from the start. I've since made it a priority that in our first workout together, the client gets a sense of success and achievement, not of failure. I don't do physical fitness tests when we start, and ideally I want them to walk out the door having done something that they didn't think they were able to do when they walked in.

Used care salesman sounds about right. It wasn't done with every single member that signed up, but only because 1) not all members actually showed up to their fitness consultations, and 2) the smarter trainers ditched the system ASAP for better consultations methods. That shady system was intended to be used on everyone, though. Nowadays, since I'm in a PT studio and people only contact me because they're interested in PT, I never have anywhere near the anxiety that I had back then. People come in interested in buying PT, so it's really figuring out if we're a good match rather than trying to trick someone into working with me.

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

djsebg is on a distinguished road. (+10) djsebg is on a distinguished road. (+10) djsebg is on a distinguished road. (+10) djsebg is on a distinguished road. (+10) djsebg is on a distinguished road. (+10) djsebg is on a distinguished road. (+10) djsebg is on a distinguished road. (+10) djsebg is on a distinguished road. (+10) djsebg is on a distinguished road. (+10) djsebg is on a distinguished road. (+10) djsebg is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm loving those action steps. Nice work and make sure you don't try to do too many things at once! Check back in when you've added some fresh clients to your roster.
    Things are coming along nicely, got a few clients starting this month (one interestingly came from IG) and finished up my PT qual+degree and starting work in the gym tomorrow. 10 days out from my shoot as well and everything is on target for this. This thread couldn't have come at a more perfect time tbh! Got a couple of questions below.

Once I get the final product from the shoot I'm going to convert the landing page of my site from an about me to a shoot gallery with a shorter bit about my services and use them for marketing on social media. Is there anything else you can think of that I can use these for (ideally without coming across as narcissistic in the eyes of any potential clients)?.

Another thing I've been thinking about is ways to add value and differentiate myself from other PTs. A degree in sport sci is obviously a big thing here but is there anything in particular that you've found to be effective in this area?

Also are there any books/resources you'd recommend reading that would be useful for the business side of things?
    Personal Trainer/Online Coach - sebgale.com
    DJ/Music Producer - soundcloud.com/sebgale - mixcloud.com/sebgale

Originally Posted by djsebg View Post
    Things are coming along nicely, got a few clients starting this month (one interestingly came from IG) and finished up my PT qual+degree and starting work in the gym tomorrow. 10 days out from my shoot as well and everything is on target for this. This thread couldn't have come at a more perfect time tbh! Got a couple of questions below.
    Sounds like you have alot going on and are doing what it takes to make things happen. Congrats on the small successes that all add up to something bigger.

Once I get the final product from the shoot I'm going to convert the landing page of my site from an about me to a shoot gallery with a shorter bit about my services and use them for marketing on social media. Is there anything else you can think of that I can use these for (ideally without coming across as narcissistic in the eyes of any potential clients)?.
    Well, they're basically just going to be used for a bio, perhaps any pamphlets you make about your business, etc. They aren't something you're going to want to plaster all over the place, as you already realize that makes you seem arrogant or narcissistic. They could certainly be put into a ******** album on a business page. If you have any before pics, use them in before/after comparisons along with other client testimonials.

Another thing I've been thinking about is ways to add value and differentiate myself from other PTs. A degree in sport sci is obviously a big thing here but is there anything in particular that you've found to be effective in this area?
    The answer that came to mind first is to have unbeatable general customer service. This is what gets people talking about you to their friends. If they feel you care about them and are satisfied with their experience, they'll feel comfortable mentioning you to their family and friends. Word of mouth is going to be a huge form of free advertising for you and anything you can do to increase it's frequency, the better.

The truth is that many trainers just suck at training and running a business. You have to be good at running a business if you want to be a successful trainer, trust me. Training is one of those things that seems like you just punch a clock in and out of work, but it's not that simple. Even if you're working in a gym for someone else, you still need to be doing things your own special way, as if you were in your own private studio. Generally, nobody is giving a crap how you train your clients, so you have to evolve your style and make the sessions effective, yet enjoyable at the same time.

It's less about what letters you have behind your name and more about what people think about you as a person and what they get out of their sessions. Be a standout person who delivers effective training methods and everyone wins.

Also are there any books/resources you'd recommend reading that would be useful for the business side of things?
    While I see the value in learning from others, which is why I'm building this thread, I actually started at zero and made it to where I'm at today on my own. I did not have another trainer to help me, nor did I read any books on running a successful training business. That wasn't the smartest way I could've done this, but it's the way I did it nonetheless.

I did exactly what I told you to do above, continued to do it as my business grew, and continue to do it today as my business keeps growing. My clients know I'm a good person, they are happy with their workouts and results, and I know I'm delivering quality information and training methods to them. I recommend you do the same, all while reading books you can find and asking questions to people who you look up to.
    See Bold.

I'm hungry to answer some questions today! Who's got something to ask?

djsebg is on a distinguished road. (+10) djsebg is on a distinguished road. (+10) djsebg is on a distinguished road. (+10) djsebg is on a distinguished road. (+10) djsebg is on a distinguished road. (+10) djsebg is on a distinguished road. (+10) djsebg is on a distinguished road. (+10) djsebg is on a distinguished road. (+10) djsebg is on a distinguished road. (+10) djsebg is on a distinguished road. (+10) djsebg is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm hungry to answer some questions today! Who's got something to ask?
    Got a few quick ones! Really helpful thread so far in shaping my business ^_^.

Done a few shifts on the gym floor now and the thing that I'm not sure on is how to cold approach people and start conversation. This'll probably mostly come with time but I'm not sure where the line is of making light conversation so people recognise you vs interrupting and annoying people. I've been at the gym as a member for a few years so people do know who I am (from the times I train) but it's a completely different crowd at peak times.

The advice on this I've been given is to just offer people spots/ask how it's going and just make light talk rather than sell, which I agree with as I want to help the right kind of people not be a salesperson. But at the same time I feel sales are very much my weak point, 1on1 I'm good but moving things in that direction is something I really don't feel too comfortable with (although again, time will help here).

Anything you'd add to the above or any advice on this aspect of the job when starting out?

Going to try the fishbowl method from a few posts ago when I get back from holiday and leave business cards that can be exchanged for a free 30 min taster session around the gym too, is there anything else similar to this you've found useful to bring in initial clients for free taster sessions in the hope of converting them to full time clients?

In response to the above - really focussing on providing good service and a quick response time atm for the few online clients I do have and they seem quite happy so far with how things are going.
    Personal Trainer/Online Coach - sebgale.com
    DJ/Music Producer - soundcloud.com/sebgale - mixcloud.com/sebgale

Originally Posted by djsebg View Post
    Got a few quick ones! Really helpful thread so far in shaping my business ^_^.
    Glad to hear that your business is changing due to this thread.

Done a few shifts on the gym floor now and the thing that I'm not sure on is how to cold approach people and start conversation. This'll probably mostly come with time but I'm not sure where the line is of making light conversation so people recognise you vs interrupting and annoying people. I've been at the gym as a member for a few years so people do know who I am (from the times I train) but it's a completely different crowd at peak times.
    To be honest, I'm not the person to give advice on this topic. I have never done a cold approach, as I do feel it's invasive. IMO, it's not different than getting called up by a salesperson and we all know how annoyed we become with the person on the other end of the line.

It's not a requirement for getting a full client list, and I don't like doing it, so I don't do it.

I also feel that a person may give you a 'pity yes' when you ask them if they'd like to do a free consult. At that point, it's highly likely that you'll show up to the appointment and they won't. You've wasted your time and now it's going to be a little uncomfortable the next time you see them or feel like you need to call them to ask if they'd like to reschedule.

To me, giving the members a non-invasive and non-pressured method of signing up for a consult is a better option. They'll be wanting to talk to you because they're signing up voluntarily and they'll be much more likely to show up for their appointment and sign up for a training package as well.

This is my take on the subject of cold approaches. It can work, it's just not my method.

The advice on this I've been given is to just offer people spots/ask how it's going and just make light talk rather than sell, which I agree with as I want to help the right kind of people not be a salesperson. But at the same time I feel sales are very much my weak point, 1on1 I'm good but moving things in that direction is something I really don't feel too comfortable with (although again, time will help here).
    When cold approaching, it's not the time to make the sale. Cold approaching would give you the time to set up a consult, which is then your time to sell. If you actually have a consult protocol that is planned and repeated with each new consult, selling will become much easier. When it comes time to make the sale, you need to ask them if they're interested in signing up and then STOP TALKING. It's now their turn to answer back.

Anything you'd add to the above or any advice on this aspect of the job when starting out?
    My number one tip here is to be present in the beginning. You want to work there, so be at work. Rookie trainers seem to have this mindset that the manager will just be throwing clients at them, which is a horrible way to think. The manager doesn't benefit from that, so it's not going to be on their mind.

Going to try the fishbowl method from a few posts ago when I get back from holiday and leave business cards that can be exchanged for a free 30 min taster session around the gym too, is there anything else similar to this you've found useful to bring in initial clients for free taster sessions in the hope of converting them to full time clients?
    I've done the fish bowl and an actual consult signup sheet on a front table. The signup sheet just told members to write their name and contact info down and I'd call them or email them. If they didn't want to leave their contact info in public, I could always just ask the manager to give it to me from their name in the computer system.

In response to the above - really focussing on providing good service and a quick response time atm for the few online clients I do have and they seem quite happy so far with how things are going.
    Those are two major points to do well with. Doing those two things well will go a long way.
    See Bold.

GeneticBubble is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GeneticBubble is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GeneticBubble is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GeneticBubble is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GeneticBubble is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GeneticBubble is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GeneticBubble is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GeneticBubble is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GeneticBubble is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GeneticBubble is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GeneticBubble is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    First off, thanks for this thread.

At the gym i start at monday [Anytime Fitness] they require each pt to take 5 classes a week, these classes are free to member and range from beginner barbell tuition to insanity/yoga etc. i can see these classes as a good way to build rapport with potential clients but again i'm not sure whether to mention about personal training during the class, just wear a shirt hoping they get the idea, or just be proffesional and hope they come to me? any advice or thoughts on this?

Second what do you think to the idea of free body fat testing/measurements? the same way you would get people to give their details but offering this is return, my thoughts are if they have it done once they will want to return to compare progress made, plus again will give you that time with the prospective client to talk ask about their goals. thoughts?

thanks in advance for the answers, appreciate it alot.
    Current 1rm's

Deadlift - 170kg
    Squat - 130kg
    Bench - 90kg

Originally Posted by GeneticBubble View Post
    First off, thanks for this thread.
    You're welcome GB, thanks for the reps. Repped back!

At the gym i start at monday [Anytime Fitness] they require each pt to take 5 classes a week, these classes are free to member and range from beginner barbell tuition to insanity/yoga etc. i can see these classes as a good way to build rapport with potential clients but again i'm not sure whether to mention about personal training during the class, just wear a shirt hoping they get the idea, or just be proffesional and hope they come to me? any advice or thoughts on this?
    I'm a little confused here, can you clear something up for me? They're requiring you to participate in the classes or actually teach the classes? PS, fellow Anytime Fitness crew member here.

Second what do you think to the idea of free body fat testing/measurements? the same way you would get people to give their details but offering this is return, my thoughts are if they have it done once they will want to return to compare progress made, plus again will give you that time with the prospective client to talk ask about their goals. thoughts?
    Personally, this is something I'd offer as a part of your consultation process or something that the gym just offers for free. Are you going to use calipers or an electric handheld device? IMO, you're putting too much reliance on the person. You're thinking that they're going to come back for an update. One, that probably won't happen as often as you think. Two, what does that do for you? Basically, it gives you more work towards a person who's coming to see you WITHOUT signing up for PT on their mind.

When you're putting time into a person, it should be because you and them both understand you're hoping to train them. A consult is an example of this; the person signed up for a PT consult because they're interested in PT. With the body fat measurement only, they're just signing up to get a piece of information about themselves. That really does nothing for your business.

thanks in advance for the answers, appreciate it a lot.
    Don't take offense if it seemed like I was shooting down your idea. I've just been through this type of stuff and my experience is that it doesn't equate to clients. I'm interested in filling client lists, not creating busy that doesn't build that client list. If they want a body fat reading, they can get it, but as part of a PT consult.
    See Bold.

GeneticBubble is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GeneticBubble is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GeneticBubble is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GeneticBubble is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GeneticBubble is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GeneticBubble is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GeneticBubble is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GeneticBubble is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GeneticBubble is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GeneticBubble is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GeneticBubble is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    See Bold.
    they will be requiring me to teach the classes.

i was planning to use a nice set of handheld calipers that i own but duly noted about what you said about consultations and will be scraping that idea.

no offence taken and shoot down as much as you like if it leads to success
    Current 1rm's

Deadlift - 170kg
    Squat - 130kg
    Bench - 90kg

they will be requiring me to teach the classes.
    If you're teaching the classes, that is excellent. You should be able to become well known, showcase your tutorial skills for exercises, and get in contact with members you'd normally never have that opportunity with. I recommend that you don't actually do the class yourself, because when you're doing the exercises yourself you have no ability walk around and correct form, provide some one-on-one quick tips, etc. If you're able to pull the class off without actually doing it, that's ideal for you and your ability to show your skills and form relationships with members. Provide a quick explanation for each exercise they're doing and then focus on watching and helping.

i was planning to use a nice set of handheld calipers that i own but duly noted about what you said about consultations and will be scraping that idea.
    Calipers can also be invasive and uncomfortable for people. Just sayin.

no offence taken and shoot down as much as you like if it leads to success
    I'll say what I'm thinking
    Thanks for posting, I appreciate it.

Thanks for posting, I appreciate it.
    Back with another question!

going into a gym for the first time with zero clients, would be it be worth offering a friend free sessions just so people can see you in there training someone? or would you just stick to the consultation route and go from there?

thanks again
    Current 1rm's

Deadlift - 170kg
    Squat - 130kg
    Bench - 90kg

Back with another question!

going into a gym for the first time with zero clients, would be it be worth offering a friend free sessions just so people can see you in there training someone? or would you just stick to the consultation route and go from there?

thanks again
    Since the visual of you training is important for members and potential clients to see, I don't see anything but positives coming from that idea. You would want to make sure the gym will allow it, as you don't want them thinking you're doing some 'under the table' training right off the bat, lol.

I think that's a solid idea though, yes.

Ryan

FitnessBrain is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitnessBrain is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitnessBrain is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitnessBrain is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitnessBrain is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitnessBrain is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitnessBrain is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitnessBrain is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitnessBrain is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitnessBrain is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitnessBrain is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey Ryan, I saw your thread today and I thought it was awesome and I read every bit of information. I even wrote down a whole page in my notebook of the pt tips you gave. I think it's awesome how you want to be a mentor and help out. I am in a weird place right now where I am unsure what I should do. As you can see I am not in the best shape. But the weird thing is I am into learning everything there is to know about fitness and I have a notebook where I write down tips, tricks, training plans, and even business tips from gurus of both fitness and business all over the internet. I really want a career in fitness and I know the first thing I should do is get in shape first.

But I was wondering should I get my degree or a cert? And should I train while getting them?

Or getting to where I want to be body wise then go after it?

I didn't know if this should go in the thread or not because it's not exactly what your offering to help with. But I was hoping you could help out because I'm lost and I don't know anyone in the position you are in. Thanks a lot. Dylan.

Originally Posted by FitnessBrain View Post
    Hey Ryan, I saw your thread today and I thought it was awesome and I read every bit of information. I even wrote down a whole page in my notebook of the pt tips you gave.
    Smart guy!

I think it's awesome how you want to be a mentor and help out. I am in a weird place right now where I am unsure what I should do. As you can see I am not in the best shape. But the weird thing is I am into learning everything there is to know about fitness and I have a notebook where I write down tips, tricks, training plans, and even business tips from gurus of both fitness and business all over the internet. I really want a career in fitness and I know the first thing I should do is get in shape first.
    Looking the part is important, as you probably guessed. It's not crucial that you look like a bodybuilder though, as many people don't actually want that for themselves. What's important is that you look like you practice what you preach. You should maintain a body that portrays someone that is in shape generally. Muscular is great, but intimidating and ripped to the bone usually is not. By looking at your avatar picture, my recommendation would be to work on fat loss through weight training programming that is focused on muscle building and strength gains. You will not be upset with the results over time.

Also, I want to point out that you will have a GREAT personal before and after to showcase, which will be motivating for clients and also something they can relate to. Most people are coming from the overweight side and wanting to slim down, not the skinny side wanting to bulk up. You will have done what they are setting out to do, which is awesome for them to relate to you!

But I was wondering should I get my degree or a cert? And should I train while getting them?
    For a personal training business, a certification that is accepted by your gym of employment is the best investment you can make. This will give you everything you need to start training clients and through continual personal research on training topics and mentoring, you will improve your knowledge and methods over time.

Or getting to where I want to be body wise then go after it?
    I would start the certification process before you've reached your personal physical goals. Why wait? Knowing that you're investing in your certification should only be further motivation for you to reach that weight loss goal.

I didn't know if this should go in the thread or not because it's not exactly what your offering to help with. But I was hoping you could help out because I'm lost and I don't know anyone in the position you are in. Thanks a lot. Dylan.
    Well, at least you know one person
    See Bold.

Here in the US, we're officially in the 'slow season' for gym training. People are on vacation, working out outdoors more, and gym memberships are getting put on hold.

Now is a great time to work on new business promotions with your extra available hours! Any questions about the summer time slow down?

Bump! Give me something to write about!

CMVIIDAE is on a distinguished road. (+10) CMVIIDAE is on a distinguished road. (+10) CMVIIDAE is on a distinguished road. (+10) CMVIIDAE is on a distinguished road. (+10) CMVIIDAE is on a distinguished road. (+10) CMVIIDAE is on a distinguished road. (+10) CMVIIDAE is on a distinguished road. (+10) CMVIIDAE is on a distinguished road. (+10) CMVIIDAE is on a distinguished road. (+10) CMVIIDAE is on a distinguished road. (+10) CMVIIDAE is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Bump! Give me something to write about!
    First off, thank you for this thread and all the info!

My buddy and I are both finishing up our PT certifications soon and are ready to hustle hard. We are in a college town. We have plans for targeting certain demographics ( 2nd years that want to get rid of the freshmen 15, sororities/frats that want to keep good looks up, etc ) - what is your experience with this?

Originally Posted by CMVIIDAE View Post
    First off, thank you for this thread and all the info!
    You're welcome, it's been going great so far.

My buddy and I are both finishing up our PT certifications soon and are ready to hustle hard.
    That's what it takes!

We are in a college town. We have plans for targeting certain demographics ( 2nd years that want to get rid of the freshmen 15, sororities/frats that want to keep good looks up, etc ) - what is your experience with this?
    I'll tell you that it is possible to get clients in that age range. I have had 16 year old clients using their own money to pay for weekly training sessions, as well as college-aged clients doing the same. This is something that can be accomplished.

The challenge is centered around the money. It's no secret that the demographic you're after is typically broke. That brings the inherent challenge of setting up pricing that allows you to make the money you need and also allows the market to be able to purchase.

Do you mind sharing some of the pricing/agreement lengths you have planned right now?

Also, where are you training your clients? In a gym near campus? Outdoors in a park? Your own facility?

As well, just because you're in a college town, it doesn't mean you should only be going after college students. The demographic that will take their appointments seriously(most of the time), have the money for training, and need to get back into shape, is typically the middle-aged demographic. Don't forget about that! This is your people in the 25-45 years old range.

Why don't you answer my questions to you and we'll go from there.

Thanks for posting,

Ryan

CMVIIDAE is on a distinguished road. (+10) CMVIIDAE is on a distinguished road. (+10) CMVIIDAE is on a distinguished road. (+10) CMVIIDAE is on a distinguished road. (+10) CMVIIDAE is on a distinguished road. (+10) CMVIIDAE is on a distinguished road. (+10) CMVIIDAE is on a distinguished road. (+10) CMVIIDAE is on a distinguished road. (+10) CMVIIDAE is on a distinguished road. (+10) CMVIIDAE is on a distinguished road. (+10) CMVIIDAE is on a distinguished road. (+10)

The challenge is centered around the money. It's no secret that the demographic you're after is typically broke. That brings the inherent challenge of setting up pricing that allows you to make the money you need and also allows the market to be able to purchase.

Do you mind sharing some of the pricing/agreement lengths you have planned right now?

Honestly we have no idea about pricing/agreement lengths yet. It's something we have been brainstorming creative solutions to. I.E. a referral program to where if you get 3 friends on the same agreement length as you, yours is free. This generates word of mouth advertising and growth through social groups, and drives down costs for a demographic that, while not broke, usually just spends their money on bull****.

Also, where are you training your clients? In a gym near campus? Outdoors in a park? Your own facility?

Gym near campus, campus gym

As well, just because you're in a college town, it doesn't mean you should only be going after college students. The demographic that will take their appointments seriously(most of the time), have the money for training, and need to get back into shape, is typically the middle-aged demographic. Don't forget about that! This is your people in the 25-45 years old range.

Very valid point

Why don't you answer my questions to you and we'll go from there.

Thanks for posting,

Ryan
    Thank you!

Suggestion: consider targeting the campus staff (admin, lecturers, tutors, janitors etc).