Page 1 of 182 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast
    Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

BrackneyC gets back to the basics

After thinking it over, and at the suggestion of a respected member of the forum, I have decided to join the accountability portion of the program…and start a journal.

I have told my little story in bits and pieces (usually in the form of a “semi-hijack” of someone else’s thread), but will give the condensed version here.

Jan 1, 2007, I fell on the ice and destroyed my right rotator cuff. Pre-op physical ( a few weeks later and weighing 254 lbs) revealed severe diabetes and High Blood Pressure (HBP). Uh-oh.

Feb 12, 2007, had surgery for shoulder, picked up pain meds, Diabetes meds (and blood tester) and HBP meds.

Took meds for two years, weighed 252 lbs (consistent over time, but fat as hell). May 11, 2009, I took a motorcycle trip to Janesville, Wiconsin. It was a ride where the main objective was to ride, eat, ride, eat, sleep and repeat. May 12 (the next day) I saw myself (brace yourself) almost naked in a full length mirror, and did not recognize myself. Literally, 5 minutes later, I had thrown ALL meds into the garbage, and said (today IS the day I fix this).

That night I had my first healthy meal in years. I had two chicken breasts and some corn. My wife said she was in for the change, and so was my son (we were all seriously overweight).

Fast forward to today, and I now weigh 175 lbs. Between the three of us, we have lost over 140 lbs. I lost the most, but I had the most to lose. Here is where BB.com comes in. Up until December of 2009, I had done little more than some cardio combined with eating in a severe deficit to lose weight. I stumbled onto this sight, and was instantly reminded that I had at one time worked out, and was pretty good at it. Problem was, my diet was bad. Tried to out train it, and never could/did.

Before I lose all of your interest in my little story, here is what I am currently doing:

I train with weights (full body) three days a week, run 3-3.5 miles the other three days and take Sunday off. Occasionally, I mix in a bike ride (20 miles minimum usually) during the week, and/or on Sunday. My lifting program (hence the name of my journal) is a super basic, progressive program, consisting primarily of compound movements. To compliment my effort, I have a very clean diet (still a little low calorie wise) and a plan to keep to it. Maybe the lifting is actually complimenting my diet. ☺ Either way works for me.

I am sorry this is so long, but I had to get it out there. Part of my plan includes “carrying the message.” By this I mean, it is helpful to be able to tell your story to others, and it helps us to keep our successes, and our goals in sight. If you lose focus of either one (in my case anyway), it becomes easier to go back to where you were.

I cannot go back. It could literally kill me.

Here is my attempt to be funny on our bike ride today. See, I can hold a really light bike over my head. It is easier to be goofy when you feel good about stuff.
    Last edited by Brackneyc; 07-04-2010 at 12:44 PM.
    If you poke a bear in the eye, expect a bear like response.

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

What we did over the weekend

Friday I went to a strange gym (new to me, not strange as in "strange"). Had a great workout.

Saturday, ran 4 miles. Ate my cheat meal (and wow, was it good). Ribs, a small potato, a "dolip" of coleslaw, one piece of garlic bread and a small serving of green beans. Later that night after our walk, we had a small ice cream cone (vanilla of course....my favorite).

Sunday (today) we rode 14.5 miles on our bikes. All in all, a pretty active, yet relaxing weekend.

Old Man Yelling at Cloud -=FLEX=-'s Avatar
    -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Soon you'll be as strong as George Costanza. He can lift a hundred lbs right over his head!

Welcome to the journals.

-=FLEX=-
    Insta: flexjs

Perseverance, Inc.

Spring Supremacy 2018 - 620/345/615 @ 50 yrs old

RIP Gene Rychlak

Originally Posted by -=FLEX=- View Post
    Soon you'll be as strong as George Costanza. He can lift a hundred lbs right over his head!

Welcome to the journals.

-=FLEX=-
    And you'd never it to look at him, but he can bait a hook.

whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Good luck with your goals...I think it's great when someone can make a radical change, after being on meds, and living a very different lifestyle. I applaud you, and think you're doing great! Thanks for sharing with us.

I don't recall, but have you ever entered a triathlon? Do any cycling events?
    Last edited by whatevergirl; 07-04-2010 at 03:10 PM.

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Brackneyc View Post
    And you'd never it to look at him, but he can bait a hook.
    Plus he has impeccable hearing and can sense the slightest bit of discomfort.

Subb'd.
    David

Originally Posted by 2nd_chance View Post
    Plus he has impeccable hearing and can sense the slightest bit of discomfort.

Subb'd.

LOL.

"Hey, is that a dime."

Originally Posted by whatevergirl View Post
    Good luck with your goals...I think it's great when someone can make a radical change, after being on meds, and living a very different lifestyle. I applaud you, and think you're doing great! Thanks for sharing with us.

I don't recall, but have you ever entered a triathlon? Do any cycling events?

Thank you for the encouragement. I want to enter a triathlon, but so far have been too chicken. Soon I hope.

whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thank you for the encouragement. I want to enter a triathlon, but so far have been too chicken. Soon I hope.
    Don't be chicken...DO IT! I have taken the plunge....you now have to. lol

Good workout today

Breakfast: bowl of oatmeal, one piece of wheat bread with PB.
    PWO Whey shake.

I am still nursing a slightly torn pec muscle and a torn lateral meniscus, but my workouts have still be productive. Doctor said, "do what you can, stop when it hurts." (bad pain, not good pain). I do FB workouts 3 days per week.

Squats: 2 sets 125 x 10
    2 sets 155 x 10

Overhead press: 2 sets 85 x 10
    2 sets 115 x 10

Bent over rows: 2 sets 135 x 10
    2 sets 155 x 10

SLDL: 2 sets 215 x 10

Bench press 2 sets 100 x 10
    2 sets 135 x 10

Curls: 3 sets 85 x 10

Calves: 3 sets seated 140 x 10
    3 sets standing Body weight plus 100lb dumbell in hand 3 sets 10 reps

I added tri-cep kickbacks today because I cannot do close grip BP. With my shoulder/pec killing me (doing most any chest movements), this movement seems to be the least problematic.

My training basically (with very slight modifiction) follows the "beginners" routine outlined in the workout section of the forum. While I am not a beginner in the traditional sense, I have never had a solid diet to go with my training. This is why I decided to go back to square one and re-train myself to do it right (a lot more compound lifts). I am on the third cycle (week three, the 10 rep week) of the program, and all of my weights have gone up since I began 12 weeks ago. Of course my bench and squat took a mighty hit due to injury, but they are on the mend. My squat was at 245 x 12 before the tear, and my bench was at 235 x 12. Three weeks ago, I could not bench the empty bar, and my squat was about 85 lbs. Yes, they are weak, but they are coming back.

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I am still nursing a slightly torn pec muscle and a torn lateral meniscus, but my workouts have still be productive. Doctor said, "do what you can, stop when it hurts." (bad pain, not good pain). I do FB workouts 3 days per week.
    How'd that happen?

Squats: 2 sets 125 x 10
    2 sets 155 x 10

Overhead press: 2 sets 85 x 10
    2 sets 115 x 10

Bent over rows: 2 sets 135 x 10
    2 sets 155 x 10

SLDL: 2 sets 215 x 10

Bench press 2 sets 100 x 10
    2 sets 135 x 10

Curls: 3 sets 85 x 10

Calves: 3 sets seated 140 x 10
    3 sets standing Body weight plus 100lb dumbell in hand 3 sets 10 reps
    Given your injuries, that's pretty good work. I admire you pressing through. It's a warrior's game.

My training basically (with very slight modifiction) follows the "beginners" routine outlined in the workout section of the forum. While I am not a beginner in the traditional sense, I have never had a solid diet to go with my training. This is why I decided to go back to square one and re-train myself to do it right (a lot more compound lifts). I am on the third cycle (week three, the 10 rep week) of the program, and all of my weights have gone up since I began 12 weeks ago. Of course my bench and squat took a mighty hit due to injury, but they are on the mend. My squat was at 245 x 12 before the tear, and my bench was at 235 x 12. Three weeks ago, I could not bench the empty bar, and my squat was about 85 lbs. Yes, they are weak, but they are coming back.
    Full body is a good way to go. I've done it in the past. Good work Craig.
    David

How'd that happen?

Given your injuries, that's pretty good work. I admire you pressing through. It's a warrior's game.

Full body is a good way to go. I've done it in the past. Good work Craig.
    I actually got both injuries doing squats and BP. I don't know if I wasn't properly warmed up or what it was. Funny thing is, In both cases, I wasn't even doing my working sets. My form is tight and I was doing both of them as I normally do. The injuries happened several weeks apart.

The knee actually feels really good (no pain at all, but I am still going at it easy). I've been able to run with no issues, so I am hoping this will be a non-issue down the road. The chest is another issue. It hurts pretty much most of the time, but not nearly like it did. Doc said it could take 6 months.

Thank you for the encouragement. There days I feel the warrior in me coming out.

-=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I didn't realize you were training injured.

Hopefully you recover quickly and get back to where you were.

Good job staying in the saddle and gittin' 'er done.

-=FLEX=-

Perseverance, Inc.

RIP Gene Rychlak

I didn't realize you were training injured.

Hopefully you recover quickly and get back to where you were.

Good job staying in the saddle and gittin' 'er done.

-=FLEX=-
    Yeah, it sucks. I am being very careful trying not to aggravate either one, which is hard because I really want to go at it harder. What is worse is that my shoulder press is unaffected by the pec muscle injury, yet I seem unable to move that weight up as fast as I have the others. My shoulders are coming along, so I guess I have that.

Did a 3.5 mile run today.

Distance 3.5 miles
    Time 31.14 minutes
    Pace 8.9

Humidity was freaky high today.

Lunch time now.

Did a 3.5 mile run today.

Distance 3.5 miles
    Time 31.14 minutes
    Pace 8.9

Humidity was freaky high today.

Lunch time now.
    8.9? show off kidding. lol That's an awesome run.

8.9? show off kidding. lol That's an awesome run.

And here is the worst part, I felt like a slug, and wanted to stop 1/4 mile into the run.

Tough one today. Slept horribly (shoulder not helping). Up at 3:00 am. Slept off an on after that. Woke up with what I think is a caffeine related headache. Been cutting back to 2 cups a day on the coffee. Had last cup at 2:30 yesterday afternoon.

On my program, my weights get reduced by a set amount on the second two training days of the week, while keeping the reps consistent. As bad as I felt, the numbers were there and it ended up being a fairly productive session. I few times I saw hints of my abs, which is new for me. Not a big deal I know, but I wasn't sure I actually had any at all.

Got a cup of coffee in hand now, and a bowl of oatmeal cooling. Sipped a shake during the workout. I usually eat the oatmeal prior to working out, but felt like I might not keep it down during the workout, with this headache and all. Eating pre-workout is a new thing for me.

Not complaining. We all have these days. No reason not to train. Just makes you want it to end sooner than normal.

Got a brick coming tomorrow. 3.5 mile run and 20 mile bike ride, back to back, weather permitting.

Have a great day everyone.

Tough one today. Slept horribly (shoulder not helping). Up at 3:00 am. Slept off an on after that. Woke up with what I think is a caffeine related headache. Been cutting back to 2 cups a day on the coffee. Had last cup at 2:30 yesterday afternoon.

On my program, my weights get reduced by a set amount on the second two training days of the week, while keeping the reps consistent. As bad as I felt, the numbers were there and it ended up being a fairly productive session. I few times I saw hints of my abs, which is new for me. Not a big deal I know, but I wasn't sure I actually had any at all.

Got a cup of coffee in hand now, and a bowl of oatmeal cooling. Sipped a shake during the workout. I usually eat the oatmeal prior to working out, but felt like I might not keep it down during the workout, with this headache and all. Eating pre-workout is a new thing for me.

Not complaining. We all have these days. No reason not to train. Just makes you want it to end sooner than normal.

Got a brick coming tomorrow. 3.5 mile run and 20 mile bike ride, back to back, weather permitting.

Have a great day everyone.
    you're like the fourth person i've heard didn't sleep well...me included. that sux when that happens...sorry to hear -- but you got your workout done. that's the important thing. not saying this was it, but it can be a culprit for restless nights...stop your caffeine intake at noon...no more after that. i have done this for years, and it really helps. Just try it for a week, and see if it helps.

glad to see you saw your abs today! Feels exciting when that happens. Good work, and hoping you have a stellar brick tomorrow.

I'm going for a 5 mile run tonight...no weights. Hopefully, I can shave a few seconds off my pace.

you're like the fourth person i've heard didn't sleep well...me included. that sux when that happens...sorry to hear -- but you got your workout done. that's the important thing. not saying this was it, but it can be a culprit for restless nights...stop your caffeine intake at noon...no more after that. i have done this for years, and it really helps. Just try it for a week, and see if it helps.

glad to see you saw your abs today! Feels exciting when that happens. Good work, and hoping you have a stellar brick tomorrow.

I'm going for a 5 mile run tonight...no weights. Hopefully, I can shave a few seconds off my pace.

Good idea on the caffeine intake. I will try that and see. I was drinking like 6 cups a day, and I knew the headache was coming (they always do when I "quit" caffeine), but didn't expect it so soon, and so strong.

Have a good run tonight. 5 miles is still a ways off for me at this point. The most I've done is 4, and that was on a day when the planets were lined up and the stars were in just the right place.

Just dawned on me that I'm going to be running three days in a row...yesterday, tonight...and then tomorrow to do the brick with you and your wife, virtually speaking. haha Oh well..Friday's an off day...no workout on Friday, so I'll just tough it out.

Good luck with your brick.

Just dawned on me that I'm going to be running three days in a row...yesterday, tonight...and then tomorrow to do the brick with you and your wife, virtually speaking. haha Oh well..Friday's an off day...no workout on Friday, so I'll just tough it out.

Good luck with your brick.

We'll be thinking about you. We are going to go to the bike path, run the 3.5 and then go right to the bikes. We are pretty excited. We are expecting some bad storms. If that happens, we are going to treadmill it, then swim.

We'll be thinking about you. We are going to go to the bike path, run the 3.5 and then go right to the bikes. We are pretty excited. We are expecting some bad storms. If that happens, we are going to treadmill it, then swim.
    Okay--sounds good. I might cut my run shorter...since the past two nights, I've been running. Good luck you two!

Okay--sounds good. I might cut my run shorter...since the past two nights, I've been running. Good luck you two!

Thank you. Don't hurt yourself. )

Iron?
    David

OK, is there any bodybuilding going on in this here thread, or just chit chat?

-=FLEX=-

Perseverance, Inc.

RIP Gene Rychlak

Iron?
    LMAO. I opened about dozen windows and read and posted and this was the last one. I post and see you beat me to it.

Dammit!!!!!!!!!

-=FLEX=-

Perseverance, Inc.

RIP Gene Rychlak

OK, is there any bodybuilding going on in this here thread, or just chit chat?

-=FLEX=-

I had a good training day today. My main focus is still to get lean, and bigger, over time. I just want to try this Tri thing, just once. In the past year, I have beaten several of my own personal milestones. I lost 78 lbs, I have a clean diet, I can wear size 32 pants (comfortably). I am off all meds, I ran a 5k race, and I saw a hint of abs today.

But, to be honset, this is mostly chit chat.

I have convinced myself that if I stop doing cardio I will swell up, and not in a good way. I am just now starting not to feel fat. One step at a time.

But, to be honset, this is mostly chit chat.
    Negggggggged!!!!!!!!!

OK, carry on........

-=FLEX=-

Perseverance, Inc.

RIP Gene Rychlak

Negggggggged!!!!!!!!!

OK, carry on........

-=FLEX=-
    FLEX--So when are you going to sign up for a tri? We'll get you to...one of these days. haha