Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    cltguy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm 5 days out of surgery, PT tomorrow and then follow deucesup with the doctor on following day. My tenodesis was performed with q fix suture anchors, instead of the interference screw. I also had rotator cuff tear, removed sutures from a failed SLAP tear and replaced them, removed a bone spur and did a cuff debridement. And did not get a large incision thanks to the anchor process, just multiple portholes. my nerve block wear off in the middle of the night after about 14 hours, and that was pretty bad pain. I still can't sleep even in the recliner my shoulder has been aching like crazy. Did get out and go for some walks the past couple days which was nice to see some sunlight. Showering was glorious, small wins.

tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by cltguy View Post
    I'm 5 days out of surgery, PT tomorrow and then follow deucesup with the doctor on following day. My tenodesis was performed with q fix suture anchors, instead of the interference screw. I also had rotator cuff tear, removed sutures from a failed SLAP tear and replaced them, removed a bone spur and did a cuff debridement. And did not get a large incision thanks to the anchor process, just multiple portholes. my nerve block wear off in the middle of the night after about 14 hours, and that was pretty bad pain. I still can't sleep even in the recliner my shoulder has been aching like crazy. Did get out and go for some walks the past couple days which was nice to see some sunlight. Showering was glorious, small wins.
    Your first 5 days sounds pretty standard... How are you doing now about 4 weeks after?

Originally Posted by tkdnj View Post
    Your first 5 days sounds pretty standard... How are you doing now about 4 weeks after?
    I my Doc took me out of the sling and I'm back to work. Bicep is cramping badly, and my range of motion seems less than I expected, I can't get my arm past my shoulder height without lots of tightness and pain. He through me on Voltarin anti-inflammatory today and let me and the PT get more aggressive with stretching - Ouch. When did the pain the stop aching for you? I don't need meds to deal with it, but it's always an ache.

Sleeping is still horrible, I can't get comfortable, but besides that I'm good.

tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I my Doc took me out of the sling and I'm back to work. Bicep is cramping badly, and my range of motion seems less than I expected, I can't get my arm past my shoulder height without lots of tightness and pain. He through me on Voltarin anti-inflammatory today and let me and the PT get more aggressive with stretching - Ouch. When did the pain the stop aching for you? I don't need meds to deal with it, but it's always an ache.

You sound like you're doing fine. I had my sling on for 6 weeks. Regarding cramping, pain, and range of motion, I don't remember all the details, but they should all be in this log for you to see. I do remember I slept in a recliner for almost 3 months, and sleep sucked many weeks after that. You'll get there buddy!

I just went back to check... I posted an update 4, 6, and 8 weeks after surgery, and then again at 5 months. Those posts pretty much address your questions. Good Luck! Keep us posted!

gymisit is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymisit is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymisit is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymisit is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymisit is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymisit is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymisit is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymisit is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymisit is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymisit is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymisit is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    How is this for recovery?

Search: 17 wks post op: Bicep Tenodesis

on YouTube.

Sorry can't post links yet.

MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    OP.that pic on your first post after surgery was crazy . How did this happen in the first place , from weight training ?
    Make Misc great again

Originally Posted by gymisit View Post
    How is this for recovery?

Search: 17 wks post op: Bicep Tenodesis

on YouTube.

Sorry can't post links yet.
    Sorry - can't find it. What is the EXACT title?

Originally Posted by MajorTendonitis View Post
    OP.that pic on your first post after surgery was crazy . How did this happen in the first place , from weight training ?
    The damage was probably done over a 20 year period, a combination of over training, a couple of sports injuries, taekwondo etc... My right shoulder was sore (at different degrees) for much of that 20 years. Then when it got to the point that I couldn't sleep comfortably I decided to get the surgery. That large incision was due to my bicep tendon being so damaged that the surgeon had to cut long and deep to get any healthy tissue to attach into my upper arm. It took about 18 months post surgery to really feel great, but it was worth it. I am currently debating getting the left one done now.

ehale2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Brand new to the forum. So glad I found your thread. I'm 3 weeks out from surgery. Full supraspinatous repair with bicep tenodesis. I'm 50 yrs old and scared that I would not be able to hit the weights again. Thanks to all for the info. Knowing I will return to what I love, is half the battle. Although I'm only 3 weeks out, I feel good. Thanks to all!

Originally Posted by ehale2 View Post
    Brand new to the forum. So glad I found your thread. I'm 3 weeks out from surgery. Full supraspinatous repair with bicep tenodesis. I'm 50 yrs old and scared that I would not be able to hit the weights again. Thanks to all for the info. Knowing I will return to what I love, is half the battle. Although I'm only 3 weeks out, I feel good. Thanks to all!
    Full supraspinatous tear and bicep tenodesis is exactly like me. You will be back. How long it will take will depend on how much they need to do. I was a worse case scenario, but my repaired shoulder feels perfect now

So I had to have a second surgery December 20th - appears a lot of scar tissue formed and became infected. I have much more motion post that surgery - since he just cleaned it out I have no restriction, but was on antibiotics for 3+ weeks. My biceps tendon is still killing me close to my shoulder where it's attached. I'm getting frustrated to say the least. Your surgery was a mini-open? Do you know if your tendon attached with a screw? and where it was attached at?

So I had to have a second surgery December 20th - appears a lot of scar tissue formed and became infected. I have much more motion post that surgery - since he just cleaned it out I have no restriction, but was on antibiotics for 3+ weeks. My biceps tendon is still killing me close to my shoulder where it's attached. I'm getting frustrated to say the least. Your surgery was a mini-open? Do you know if your tendon attached with a screw? and where it was attached at?
    I have like a two inch scar where my tenodesis was done because I had minimal healthy bicep tendon to work with. The surgeon had to dig deep. My bicep tendon is attached with a double anchor just above the bicep. My bicep cramped for a long time. Give yours more time. Good luck.

I have like a two inch scar where my tenodesis was done because I had minimal healthy bicep tendon to work with. The surgeon had to dig deep. My bicep tendon is attached with a double anchor just above the bicep. My bicep cramped for a long time. Give yours more time. Good luck.
    Good to know - I am able to reach above my head now at least. The black and red was from the second surgery in December - the other picture is after my mine surgery in September . I got two suture anchors as well, but mine is attached higher on my humerus, closer to the glenoid. There are so many different methods and locations it's hard to figure out what is normal for recovery - you and others have been more helpful than doctors - so thanks.
    Attached Images

Good to know - I am able to reach above my head now at least. The black and red was from the second surgery in December - the other picture is after my mine surgery in September . I got two suture anchors as well, but mine is attached higher on my humerus, closer to the glenoid. There are so many different methods and locations it's hard to figure out what is normal for recovery - you and others have been more helpful than doctors - so thanks.
    You're welcome. Good luck and keep us posted. I have an MRI scheduled tomorrow for my other shoulder :-(

Good luck!

You're welcome. Good luck and keep us posted. I have an MRI scheduled tomorrow for my other shoulder :-(
    Hope your other shoulder is just a sprain - no more biceps tenodesises...or is it tenodesisi?

Hope your other shoulder is just a sprain - no more biceps tenodesises...or is it tenodesisi?
    Full thickness tear of supraspinatus, Bicep tendon subluxation (dislocation), partial tear of subscapularis, rotator interval tear, osteoarthritis of the AC joint. Surgery scheduled for February 28 (five years after having same surgery on the other shoulder)
    Last edited by tkdnj; 02-09-2020 at 09:02 AM.

James1268 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Full thickness tear of supraspinatus, Bicep tendon subluxation (dislocation), partial tear of subscapularis, rotator interval tear, osteoarthritis of the AC joint. Surgery scheduled for February 28 (five years after having same surgery on the other shoulder)
    Hey tkdnj.

I read your entire thread, and without question its the best source of the surgery I have found on the web. I created an account just so I can ask a few questions. I had a bicep tenodesises, and subacromial decompression surgery in July. It has taken longer than I thought or was told. I still have pain and some instability in my shoulder. I've been to the DR and had a follow up MRI and said my shoulder was intact, and everything is fine. My question to you is did you still struggle with instability 7 months after surgery, and did it ever get back to normal. I am not a weightlifter but did 5 months of formal therapy, and 3 months of strength training, and although it improved from day one, I guess I thought at this point it would be close to normal. Also does the clicking ever go away?

Originally Posted by James1268 View Post
    Hey tkdnj.

I read your entire thread, and without question its the best source of the surgery I have found on the web. I created an account just so I can ask a few questions. I had a bicep tenodesises, and subacromial decompression surgery in July. It has taken longer than I thought or was told. I still have pain and some instability in my shoulder. I've been to the DR and had a follow up MRI and said my shoulder was intact, and everything is fine. My question to you is did you still struggle with instability 7 months after surgery, and did it ever get back to normal. I am not a weightlifter but did 5 months of formal therapy, and 3 months of strength training, and although it improved from day one, I guess I thought at this point it would be close to normal. Also does the clicking ever go away?
    Hi James - I'm glad you found this thread useful. Though I didn't have a subacromial decompression done, I did have a bicep tenodesis and multiple full and partial rotator cuff tears repaired. My surgery was considered extensive. The good news for you is that I did not feel good stability until about 1 year, and I wasn't fully pain free and felt totally stable on certain movements until 18 about months. Now, 5 years later, the repaired shoulder feels perfect ever since! You will probably just need a bit more time like I did. Try to stay patient, especially since your latest MRIs showed everything is intact. Unfortunately for me, I go through the whole process again on the other shoulder on February 28.
    Good Luck - and don't hesitate to ask any questions.
    TKDNJ

Hi James - I'm glad you found this thread useful. Though I didn't have a subacromial decompression done, I did have a bicep tenodesis and multiple full and partial rotator cuff tears repaired. My surgery was considered extensive. The good news for you is that I did not feel good stability until about 1 year, and I wasn't fully pain free and felt totally stable on certain movements until 18 about months. Now, 5 years later, the repaired shoulder feels perfect ever since! You will probably just need a bit more time like I did. Try to stay patient, especially since your latest MRIs showed everything is intact. Unfortunately for me, I go through the whole process again on the other shoulder on February 28.
    Good Luck - and don't hesitate to ask any questions.
    TKDNJ
    Thank you for the reply. That does give me hope that it will continue to improve month after month. I think what's frustrating is that the Dr told me 3 months and here I am nowhere close. Although my DR is highly respected in the area, I never feel my concerns are taking seriously, maybe he is sick of me at this point. I think what's the hardest is there are days it feels pretty good and then the next day it feels awful for some reason. I'm 35 I don't know why it says 50 so I'm hoping youth will also help with this. I just want my life back. I did all my PT and never slacked once I just hope it pays off in the end.

Do you have any recommendations as far as workouts go? I don't go to the gym yet, but just have some light weights at my house while I continue to do my therapy I learned at PT. And can you throw a football or baseball too? That was something I want to do, but still leery of now. Anyway thank you again for this thread, it has helped me learn a lot and that's there is hope at the end of this. Best of luck to you in your upcoming surgery.

Thank you for the reply. That does give me hope that it will continue to improve month after month. I think what's frustrating is that the Dr told me 3 months and here I am nowhere close. Although my DR is highly respected in the area, I never feel my concerns are taking seriously, maybe he is sick of me at this point. I think what's the hardest is there are days it feels pretty good and then the next day it feels awful for some reason. I'm 35 I don't know why it says 50 so I'm hoping youth will also help with this. I just want my life back. I did all my PT and never slacked once I just hope it pays off in the end.

Do you have any recommendations as far as workouts go? I don't go to the gym yet, but just have some light weights at my house while I continue to do my therapy I learned at PT. And can you throw a football or baseball too? That was something I want to do, but still leery of now. Anyway thank you again for this thread, it has helped me learn a lot and that's there is hope at the end of this. Best of luck to you in your upcoming surgery.
    If your case is anything like mine, it will continue to improve. It took me 18 months to comfortably pull my arm back (like what you would do when you lower the weight to your chest when doing a bench press), probably 9 months behind expectations, but it finally got there, and has been great ever since. My surgeon was also highly respected, but was surprised it took me so long, so don't get frustrated. Don't forget your surgeon sees this everyday and knows every case is different. He's probably genuinely not concerned because he knows you will get there.
    It would be irresponsible for me to recommend a workout since I'm not a PT, but if I were you I would go back to PT where the experts are. And, yes, I can thrown a football and baseball as good as ever, but for a year I felt like there is no way that would happen.
    Just keep in mind, (I know I am repeating myself), it took me 18 months to do a dumbbell bench press; you will get there :-)
    Thanks for the good wishes for my surgery!

MedicGaucho has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    tkdjn,

Awesome story, I just had mine done on 5 Feb. my surgeon has only had me doing the pendulum with my arm and finger walking up the wall. I am certain that I will get on with some real PT with the next visit this coming week. Still in the brace, although I was told I don’t have to be married to it now. Sorry to hear about your other shoulder going. Hopefully your surgery went well today and your guy was able to accomplish everything he needed. 18 months, that is a while! I not totally psyched about that but I am looking forward to putting in the work. I was expecting a year would be the time frame, so my mind is in the right place. Good luck with your 2nd go, keep us updated on that one.

MG

Originally Posted by MedicGaucho View Post
    tkdjn,

Awesome story, I just had mine done on 5 Feb. my surgeon has only had me doing the pendulum with my arm and finger walking up the wall. I am certain that I will get on with some real PT with the next visit this coming week. Still in the brace, although I was told I don’t have to be married to it now. Sorry to hear about your other shoulder going. Hopefully your surgery went well today and your guy was able to accomplish everything he needed. 18 months, that is a while! I not totally psyched about that but I am looking forward to putting in the work. I was expecting a year would be the time frame, so my mind is in the right place. Good luck with your 2nd go, keep us updated on that one.

MG
    thanks for the well wishes! I hope your healing goes well! Keep in mind, when i say 18 months, that was for heavy dumbbell benching with no pain. I was actually working out after 4 months, light and controlled, doing everything except benching.

Today i feel ok overall except for the numbness from the nerve block. The nerve block i had 5 years ago lasted about 20 hours. This one is supposed to last 3 days. I think it is so you don't need opioids. But it is very uncomfortable, like when your arm goes numb when you sleep on it. It's a crappy feeling. What was your nerve block experience?

Originally Posted by xeron View Post
    Great thread, find myself re-reading it over the past few days. Do you have pictures as to what it looks like as of late?

Thinking I tore my bicep tendon benching 6 mo ago. Started to feel fine after 2 months, then reinjured 4 months ago - much worse. Spent all Dec benching no heavier than 20lb DBs. Now after a lot of stretching and band work, incline benching 70% of previous numbers but terrified of flat bench and dips. Pain is in between front delt and chest. 100% strength in bicep exercises but chest has been a pain in the ass to work past few months.

Just a little confusing. Every flexed and unflexed position it looks normal, then arm bent 90° palm down, it’s an obvious Popeye deformity to me. If it is indeed torn, would you recommend the surgery? Not sure a 2 inch bad scar is worth if it’s only noticeable in one flex. Just have to avoid ever putting my arm in that spot. Although I’m constantly looking at the arm to make sure it’s look normal and don’t accidentally have palm at angle where it starts to become obvious

Obvious popeye to me
    (pumped)
    https://i.ibb.co/TcnQ5wz/7-D36531-D-...B078-F1445.jpg
    (unpumped)
    https://ibb.co/w73dgmt

Same day, not so obvious, normal poses
    https://ibb.co/DLnMKZv
    https://ibb.co/YbZTNdX
    https://ibb.co/St5GMFY
    hi xeron, glad you found the thread useful. Regarding pictures as of me of late, my profile pic was from March 30, 2019. I do not have the popeye look (before or after the bicep tenodesis).
    Looking at your pictures, i agree that the first two look like a bicep tendon tear (popeye) but the other three not so much.
    Your symptoms sound like a bicep tendon tear, but only an MRI can determine that. If it is getting in the way of your training, then I would get the surgery. It's a long road back, but one I found to be worth it. Don't worry about the scar. You really can't see mine unless you try to see it. It looks like a stretch mark. Plus, my incision was bigger than most. One other thing to strongly consider - if you have a bicep tendon tear then you are at risk of rupturing the bicep. My advice to you is to get an MRI and discuss it with an orthopedist.
    Good luck!

tkdnj, just curious how your second surgery went? Better or worse than your first?

tkdnj, just curious how your second surgery went? Better or worse than your first?
    The difference is huge. It’s the craziest thing. The nerve block that they use now lasts 3 to 5 days as opposed to just 24 hours like the nerve block they used when I had similar surgery five years ago. Today is day six, and I have not needed to take any pain medication at all. In fact the only time that it hurts is when I am at physical therapy or taking a shower because that’s when it gets moved around a bit. I haven’t gotten all the details from my surgeon because I won’t see him until Monday, but from what he told my wife while I was in recovery , this surgery was very similar to the surgery I had five years ago.

The difference is huge. It’s the craziest thing. The nerve block that they use now lasts 3 to 5 days as opposed to just 24 hours like the nerve block they used when I had similar surgery five years ago. Today is day six, and I have not needed to take any pain medication at all. In fact the only time that it hurts is when I am at physical therapy or taking a shower because that’s when it gets moved around a bit. I haven’t gotten all the details from my surgeon because I won’t see him until Monday, but from what he told my wife while I was in recovery , this surgery was very similar to the surgery I had five years ago.
    That's good with the lack of pain. Like you said previously I'm sure it was odd having a "Dead" arm for 3-5 days with that type of nerve block. I have another question I didn't ask previously. Did you at all have issues in your distal bicep region? I was worried before my surgery that I tore it or partially did, but my Dr told me that is a very rare and an injury you know right away, and that its even rarer to have a tear up near the shoulder and down by the elbow. I do notice it a good bit though. While in PT my therapist told me it was fine, but that my elbow and forearm had atrophied because of the surgery, and with time it will get back. I did get a second opinion a few weeks ago, and the Dr did the Hook Test and said I'm fine. It just feels weird at times, and can fatigue too when I'm trying to push it. Anyway did you experience any of that during your first operation? And given you're a bodybuilder and competed I'm sure you were around some guys throughout the years who tore their distal or partially. Is it true as the Dr told me "You would know right then and there" Thanks again, and continued success in your upcoming recovery.

That's good with the lack of pain. Like you said previously I'm sure it was odd having a "Dead" arm for 3-5 days with that type of nerve block. I have another question I didn't ask previously. Did you at all have issues in your distal bicep region? I was worried before my surgery that I tore it or partially did, but my Dr told me that is a very rare and an injury you know right away, and that its even rarer to have a tear up near the shoulder and down by the elbow. I do notice it a good bit though. While in PT my therapist told me it was fine, but that my elbow and forearm had atrophied because of the surgery, and with time it will get back. I did get a second opinion a few weeks ago, and the Dr did the Hook Test and said I'm fine. It just feels weird at times, and can fatigue too when I'm trying to push it. Anyway did you experience any of that during your first operation? And given you're a bodybuilder and competed I'm sure you were around some guys throughout the years who tore their distal or partially. Is it true as the Dr told me "You would know right then and there" Thanks again, and continued success in your upcoming recovery.
    The pain has definitely been less this time. But to be clear, the dead arm went away after 24 hours, but I guess the nerve block worked for a bunch of days after that. Regarding the distal bicep tendon tear, I don’t know anyone personally who had that, but I’m sure there must be threads here on bodybuilding.com of people who have. I do remember when I started working out again, it did feel tight down there, but it was probably just from not using it in so long.

thefeeny is on a distinguished road. (+10)

7 months for me

Hello all

TKDNJ, thanks for keeping this thread going for so long and I'm seriously sorry to hear you're having to go through this again. That'd stress the )_#(*$ out of me!

I also created an account only because of the usefulness of this thread. I am not a bodybuilder, but a marathon ocean paddler (surfski). This ended up wearing through my supraspinatus, resulting in a 3cm retracted full tear, successfully repaired 7 months ago. The biceps tendon was intact, a little frayed but left alone.

After 7 months I am back paddling, but only slowly, maybe at 50-60% capacity, no sprint or wave work. I am training 1-2x / day, working on strength, endurance etc. I should point out that I continue to see my physio and am only building within the parameters I am given by my medical team / surgeon.

So, whilst I feel I am making progress, I also feel that I am at times going backwards. I tell myself that this is because I continue to increase the amount of activity and load. At times it does feel like there is a setback of some kind every couple of weeks.

This week, for example, I am back to having mild but very annoying tingling in the area where the deltoid meets the tricep. It brings back horrible memories of the kind of pain that started this whole thing in the first place. Last night it woke me up, though nowhere near as bad as pre-surgery - a new, hopefully very temporary and highly unwanted experience.

I don't mind working through pain, though it is unnerving to think that I could be doing myself permanent damage. What I want to know is whether this is all normal? Do all of us that go through this have these periods where we regress, where tingles, aches and pains come back a few days here and there? Do we all have the mental anxiety that makes us question if we will ever get better?

My physio keeps telling me that so far, my rotator cuff journey has been the "premier A grade experience". Goodness me, but I'd hate to think about what an economy class ticket looks like!

Here's to staying strong.

Feens

Taipan13 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Feens

I had my rotator cuff repaired over 20 years ago and can assure you my healing path was not a linear one. Also, 7 months is still very early, my surgeon told me it would be about 18 months until full recovery, but for me, it was around the 24-month mark. I was also advised, that when I felt pain, yes continue to do a little bit more, but not for too long...if that makes sense.
    All the best in your recovery. We all want to get back to our pre-op level and I'm sure you will, you just need to be patient...and I think we all struggle with that.
    Last edited by Taipan13; 05-24-2020 at 03:16 PM.