Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    eternalnow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by tkdnj View Post
    Good luck to you Italianguy63. This thread should really help you anticipate what to expect. Feel free to post any questions.

Best
    TKDNJ

Hello tkdnj.

I am having pain while doing pullups. I am age 42 158 pounds and 5'8". I have been doing pullups for over 2 years..and with additional 25 pound weight for 1 year-1.5 year./. (most recently 3 sets of 6 reps)..

I have been involved with weight training seriously for 3 years.. and in my much younger life also. .. However, for the last 3 months, I have pain while doing a pullup..it feels vague.. like maybe its under my armpit..or on the side of my arm nearest my chest. I cannot be sure if it is coming from my tricep or bicep...as it seems to radiate pain/discomfort right on the border between the two..

At first I thought it might be a long head tricep tendon problem. ButI cannot seem to isolate the pain..enough to be convinced if it is a bicep tendon or tricep or other (like teres major/minor, and some other muscles which I cannot spell or pronounce.) I also feel pain near clavicle sometimes..typically after doing straight (horizontal) bar dips ..

maybe its a cuff tear? im confused even still after much reading about tendonitis, tendonosis, tendor tear, complete rupture.

I replaced pullups with very careful lat pulldowns now.. actually.. pulling behind my back is discouraged by certain online advice and studies, but it actually feels more comfortable for me now..otherwise I feel pain..if I pull bar below my chin....also, I feel better if I arch my back backwards when doing a front lat pulldown. I had never done it that way in the past.. but do now to avoid pain.. I am reluctant to stop all together... I don't think I would have a complete tear of any tendon..as I dont recall any bruising or loud snap sound. Also, I never had debilitating pain.. but I do have some pain with following exercises:

pullup: too much pain..cant do (even just bodyweight which normally I can do 12-15 reps..slow..and fully extend and hang..and all the way up)

front lat pulldown: if I babysit it, and go carefully, not bring lower than chin, it varies between no pain to tolerable/mild...

rear lat pulldown: I can be less careful, and it varies between no pain to very mild...

bicep curl ( I was doing 35 pound db in each hand 3 sets of 8 reps with lot of strain ..and also long rest between sets)
    is that enough typically to cause bicep tendon tear? I reduced my weight to 30 pound dumbbells 3 s 10 r.. because my bicep seems big compared to my body proportion and compared to my triceps .

rear deltoid machine..feel some pain...but not in deltoid..maybe teres muscle or triceps long head?

recently I feel odd feelings while doing bicep curls..but I cannot be sure I have never felt that feeling on and off in the past, and just ignored it...like a dull ache in my forearm?.. seems more noticeable on negatives maybe can contraction. also.. a funny feeling sometimes on the inner side on my arm up towards armpit..maybe also shoulder. funny feeling,..not quite sure if its pain....so far. no weakness in curls.. I do standing curls...without moving my back... I can even do side curls.. curling out the side. I do both arms at the same time. each with their own dumbell. If I had a biceps tear.. I doubt I could do these..

sorry for long speil..

What is the BEST way to get an accurate diagnosis without the typical MD runaround and without the medication as a means to "diagnose" typical strategy? for ex: I loved my chiropractor who immediately saw me and taught me stretches after touching and adjusting my spine.. but I resented my expensive doctor who made me wait weeks for an appointment, then strained extensively over a dull medical history, didnt place a single finger on me, and just casually recommened a steroid shot into my sacrum..without even knowing I had a relevant MRI for a lumbar disc.

How did you get your tendon tear diagnosed? you had to go MD first I guess, before MRI can be ordered. But did you try any muscle test?

sorry, I don't know what I should do, or where I should start.

mdterpy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hello All,

I would like to tell my story in hopes of enlightening others to the expectations of the recovery process. Here is a summary of my experience so far (4.5 weeks post surgery):

I am a 41y.o. who suffered a similar RTC injury in early April 2016 during muscle-ups on the rings. My dominant arm slid out when transitioning through to the upright position. My shoulder popped, and I dropped to the ground in pain. A little history; I have somewhat abused my shoulders from football, baseball, golf, softball, weight lifting, volleyball, and crossfit over the past 30+ years. Over the past 2.5 years, I would workout 6 out of 7 days a week, sometimes two-a-days twice a week. I was benching final set 4 x 245lbs (1.5x body weight) the week prior to the injury. This was the first surgery I have had to repair a sports-related injury besides stiched lacerations. Note, the biggest tell that you have serious shoulder damage is the throbbing pain when laying down. A week after the injury, I went for the X-rays, followed up with an MRI that revealed a full tear in the subscapularis, a ~1CM partial tear in the supraspinatus, labral inflamation (possibly partial torn), and a healthy, but inflamed long biceps head.

Even though the shoulder was damaged, I had goals of doing the Murph (w/ 20lbs vest) on Memorial Day 2016. The following weeks the pain never went away, making training very difficult. I scheduled arthroscopic surgery which fortunately was not available until a couple days after Memorial Day. Knowing I had upcoming surgery, I proceeded to play volleyball once a week and train for the Murph since I was going to lose the rest of the summer. The only exercises I had difficulty with post-injury were (obviously) muscle-ups and benchpressing. I could still do above the head movements and even walk on my hands for 30+ feet. Swinging at volleyballs hurt the first few reps until everything was warm, though the hitting was very erradict due to instability of the shoulder.

Completed the Murph with a personal best record. Took the next couple of days off to just relax and prepare the household for the future one-armed dad.

Surgery in early June 2016 - The surgeon arthroscopically discovered the long biceps head was frayed and disloged along with the known RTC damage. Debridement of the infraspinatus also was done. The RTC repairs, debridement and biceps tendodesis were successful with a 100% projected recovery. Post surgery I thought everything was great...until the nerve block wore off. Felt like a truck ran over my right side. Two days after the surgery I was able to flex my biceps on its own (not recommended by surgeon or anyone - I just wanted to test it). Sleeping in a recliner for 2-3 hours, pacing the house for 10+ miles a night was my routine for a week. I had the staples and stitches removed a week after the surgery. Everthing was progressing with occassional bad day of severe bone pain. During the day I would walk 2 miles and then ice the shoulder. Yes, the pillow-sling is uncomfortable and extremely hot, especially when the temp gets in the 80s.

Two weeks after the surgery, PT started. Worked on passive movements to get flexibility. Also worked on stretching the surrounding muscles such as the traps and lats. In the meantime, I started getting back into the gym. Walking the treadmill on incline for 10-15 minutes followed by a shell of what used to be my daily workout that lasted maybe 30 more minutes. This is where I learned that surgery is very taxing on the body. I started to really feel horrible and lethargic even though I was taking prescrip meds only at night. Everyone could see the fatigue on my face from not sleeping and the physical strain of relearning to do everything with the non-dominant arm. I took the professional advice and rested with no more gym until mid-week 3. I abandonded sleeping in the recliner and used the guest bedroom with all sorts of pillows to keep me from rolling off. At times I would take the sling off, but always wore it when I got up to use the bathroom or pace the house.

Mid-Week 3 after surgery - started doing the gym again with the treadmill for 10-15 minutes followed by 20-30 minutes of either legs, abs/core, non-injured-side push/pull exercises. Each session would be followed-up with a the PT exercises. Completely off the meds (OTC and prescrips). Could walk around without the sling (though not encouraged by my PT). Sleeping was still challenging due to body building a routine of waking up at 2-3am every night with pain.

Mid-Week 4 after surgery - PT progressing where I have flexibility ahead of schedule. Shoulder is completely stable. Biceps repair/mobility is good though I still have pooling blood raising from the biceps area. I can lift small things like my toothbrush or a bag of gym clothes (though this is not recommended by anyone). No active movements for another two weeks is the general protocol. I have shed the pillow/sling except during the evening when my shoulder feels tired. I do the same gym routine as last week with additional cardio on the spinner twice a week. 8 more days until I get my surgeon's approval to do start active movements.

I know it is a long road with plenty of ups and downs. Just like a workout schedule/WOD and diet, my PT routine is done in a disciplined, consistent manner at least twice a day.

sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What is the BEST way to get an accurate diagnosis without the typical MD runaround and without the medication as a means to "diagnose" typical strategy?
    Best way is to see the correct doctor. Find an orthopedist who works with athletes. Any pro, college, or HS team doctor is a good start, next would be orthopedists in the same practice as the above. When you work with an orthopedist who works with athletes you'll generally find that they have the passion to help the athlete return to their sport at a similar or higher level than before the injury.

rsilver226 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

shoulder recovery

68tgutz - I am glad this thread helps; I was hoping that when I created it (I look forward to reading about your progress; don't hesitate to post any questions as I check this thread all the time). I know what you're experiencing as far as sleep, the anxiety about losing gains, etc... My posts throughout this thread hits on all that. Here is the latest:
    10 months since my rotator cuff / bicep tenodesis surgery.

- I have been back lifting for about 6 months
    - pushing very hard, high intensity, going to failure, but definitely stop before I have to cheat
    - Still using almost all machines; the machines at my gym (24 Hour Fitness) are great, Hoist and Star Trac. I feel (hoping) that for bodybuilding I can get the same results as free weights Considering the extent of my surgery, I may always be using mostly machines. I must admit I do miss my dumbbell flat and incline benching. It just feels like (in my mind) I should be moving some free weights (I do all my chest movements on the "free motion" cable machine. It allows me to keep my elbows in, shoulders low, which keeps it relatively pain free) but on the other hand, my workouts on these modern machines have been great. I still can't do bench press movements without pain, so I have no choice anyway.
    - I am a little concerned about my "good" shoulder. When I did try to do dumbbell bench presses, the good shoulder really hurt, especially in the front of the shoulder where the bicep tendon is. Probably just the typical tendonitis a lot of us get at our age, but since I know what I went through with my shoulder surgery, I am a bit nervous, so, being careful, icing a lot.
    - using my favorite "push/off/legs/pull/off" routine, so I am lifting 3 of every 5 days
    - Shoulder is still a bit sore after work outs and when I wake up, but making progress.
    - Strength is close to where it was before surgery (except for benching since I can't do that yet, and may never be able to)

Best,
    TKDNJ
    I am 64, always been active 20 years MMA, weight lifting, ski racing and surfing. 6'1" 230#. Over the years I have suffered many injuries and in many cases with modification and quality rehab, I avoided surgery. 20 years ago I had surgery on non dominant shoulder for a supraspinatus . It was open and I had significant retraction of the tendon. It took a year to get back to 80-90%. While in rehab for surgery, i rehabed my other shoulder which also had a torn supraspinatus. I swore I would never have a shoulder surgery again and successfully rehabbed my injured (*non surgery) shoulder without surgery. Fast forward 20 years best bench was 315@2 but most of time my benches were in 275 range 6-8 reps. No pain. Recently tore the proximal biceps tendon while ski racing in my "good shoulder that I rehabbed. It hurt like hell for about 2 days but i had no pain after that and didnt even know I had torn it till I noticed where my biceps was a few days later. Imaging showed torn supraspinatus and biceps. I actually could lift more on curls after the tear because pain limited my weight prior to tear. Other than funky biceps, I have less pain in my shoulder than ever. Makes it real hard to go through this awful rehab again with another surgery. The recovery period has not changed. The surgical approach has improved and based on what I have read the repairs are much better. But there is still that damn recovery and no guarantees.
    I was out of the gym for better part of the year because I couldn't lift anything worthwhile due to pain from the biceps which had not torn yet. I am now in the gym 4 days a week now that I don't have pain. I do notice my bench is way down and I notice more pain in my shoulder from the bench than before the tear. Seems to me that I need at least one of those tendons working to do any serious lifting and probably both. Its a tough decision at this age to go forward with another surgery especially when its not hurting and I do better in the gym except for bench. I think I could work the bench back up to reps @225 as is which after surgery would probably be the same. I am scheduled for repair in next two weeks but i have serious second thoughts after having gone through it and not having pain at this point. What do you all think? I get answers all over the board and really its almost a coin toss. Looks like I will have 3 anchors for the tendon and a tenodesis for the biceps hopefully with only 1 anchor but that tendon has been bad for a long time. If I do it this time i will use the game day ice machine as it has worked wonders for others I know on various body parts. I appreciate any thoughts......best

Ax666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

To Cut or Not to Cut

Originally Posted by rsilver226 View Post
    I am 64, always been active 20 years MMA, weight lifting, ski racing and surfing. 6'1" 230#. Over the years I have suffered many injuries and in many cases with modification and quality rehab, I avoided surgery. 20 years ago I had surgery on non dominant shoulder for a supraspinatus . It was open and I had significant retraction of the tendon. It took a year to get back to 80-90%. While in rehab for surgery, i rehabed my other shoulder which also had a torn supraspinatus. I swore I would never have a shoulder surgery again and successfully rehabbed my injured (*non surgery) shoulder without surgery. Fast forward 20 years best bench was 315@2 but most of time my benches were in 275 range 6-8 reps. No pain. Recently tore the proximal biceps tendon while ski racing in my "good shoulder that I rehabbed. It hurt like hell for about 2 days but i had no pain after that and didn't even know I had torn it till I noticed where my biceps was ... Seems to me that I need at least one of those tendons working to do any serious lifting and probably both. Its a tough decision at this age to go forward with another surgery especially when its not hurting and I do better in the gym except for bench. I think I could work the bench back up to reps @225 as is which after surgery would probably be the same. I am scheduled for repair in next two weeks but i have serious second thoughts after having gone through it and not having pain at this point. What do you all think? I get answers all over the board and really its almost a coin toss. Looks like I will have 3 anchors for the tendon and a tenodesis for the biceps hopefully with only 1 anchor but that tendon has been bad for a long time. If I do it this time i will use the game day ice machine as it has worked wonders for others I know on various body parts. I appreciate any thoughts......best
    Nice thread that grabbed my attention as I've recently (32 days ago) come off a fairly extensive R shoulder surgery that included a biceps tenodesis, subacromial decompression, boney growth extraction and arthroscopy to partially address some of the following chronic issues: fraying of biceps tendon with significant large loose bodies within the distal biceps sheath, approximately 25% partial fraying of the supraspinatus tendon with 10% to the infraspinatus. Significant synovitis throughout the joint consistent with a synovial osteochondromatosis. Extensive grade IV changes to the glenoid with areas of grade II – IV change to the humeral head along with significant subacromial bursitis. And that lglenoid status will cause me some grief along with a joint replacement in the future, no doubt.

I'm currently 58 years old, run a gym in the British Channel Islands, past competitive bodybuilder, have been lifting for 40 years and, similar to yourself, maintained a fairly active lifestyle. Also, like you, I've had several major injuries that required other surgeries to address some of the aftermath of those mishaps. So far, this one has been...well, hard. And I can understand your reluctance to go through with another surgery. Let's see if I can perhaps put things in perspective, just a little.

You didn't mention which proximal head of the biceps you popped, but I'm assuming it was the long head. Also, you say that you can still train, considering the injury, relatively well and that is a useful clue in how to progress with your dilemma.

Consider the following points: 1) it is not the long head of the bicep that contributes to most of the functionality of the biceps, the short head takes on the lion's share of the work; 2) The supraspinatus contributes to some shoulder stability and to the initial 15-20 degrees arc of shoulder abduction, then the delts take over; 3) the alternative of biceps tenodesis is tenectomy, a procedure in which the long head of the tendon is severed and not reattached (as in a tenodesis); 4) in older individuals the failure rate tenodesis is rather high, my surgeon quoted around 25%, and if this should happen, it is unlikely that a second attempt will be made.

So, although really awfully nice to have, the two structures of concern to you are not strictly essential for a reasonable amount of future lifting activity.
    Last edited by Ax666; 08-16-2016 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Grammar and clarity.

tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by rsilver226 View Post
    I am 64, always been active 20 years MMA, weight lifting, ski racing and surfing. 6'1" 230#. Over the years I have suffered many injuries and in many cases with modification and quality rehab, I avoided surgery. 20 years ago I had surgery on non dominant shoulder for a supraspinatus . It was open and I had significant retraction of the tendon. It took a year to get back to 80-90%. While in rehab for surgery, i rehabed my other shoulder which also had a torn supraspinatus. I swore I would never have a shoulder surgery again and successfully rehabbed my injured (*non surgery) shoulder without surgery. Fast forward 20 years best bench was 315@2 but most of time my benches were in 275 range 6-8 reps. No pain. Recently tore the proximal biceps tendon while ski racing in my "good shoulder that I rehabbed. It hurt like hell for about 2 days but i had no pain after that and didnt even know I had torn it till I noticed where my biceps was a few days later. Imaging showed torn supraspinatus and biceps. I actually could lift more on curls after the tear because pain limited my weight prior to tear. Other than funky biceps, I have less pain in my shoulder than ever. Makes it real hard to go through this awful rehab again with another surgery. The recovery period has not changed. The surgical approach has improved and based on what I have read the repairs are much better. But there is still that damn recovery and no guarantees.
    I was out of the gym for better part of the year because I couldn't lift anything worthwhile due to pain from the biceps which had not torn yet. I am now in the gym 4 days a week now that I don't have pain. I do notice my bench is way down and I notice more pain in my shoulder from the bench than before the tear. Seems to me that I need at least one of those tendons working to do any serious lifting and probably both. Its a tough decision at this age to go forward with another surgery especially when its not hurting and I do better in the gym except for bench. I think I could work the bench back up to reps @225 as is which after surgery would probably be the same. I am scheduled for repair in next two weeks but i have serious second thoughts after having gone through it and not having pain at this point. What do you all think? I get answers all over the board and really its almost a coin toss. Looks like I will have 3 anchors for the tendon and a tenodesis for the biceps hopefully with only 1 anchor but that tendon has been bad for a long time. If I do it this time i will use the game day ice machine as it has worked wonders for others I know on various body parts. I appreciate any thoughts......best
    Are you going through with the surgery? I had a nasty surgery 16 months ago requiring 7 anchors. My shoulder feels better, but no where near "good as new". Right now my other shoulder is giving me a lot of problems. I had an MRI which showed a few small tears. Doc said surgery is up to me, it wouldn't be as bad as the first one. But, that recovery was brutal and looooong. No good sleep for 4 months. Right now I can basically do everything I want in the gym except ABSOLUTELY NO BENCH PRESS OF ANY KIND. Both shoulders hurt when I try to bring the weight down (dumbbell or barbell). The closest thing I can do to a bench press is standing up using the free form cable machine. So, unless my non-operative shoulder get worse, no more surgery for me. What I am doing now is a routine that features 2 days rest after every upper body workout. I now do Push / off / Legs / Pull / off / off / repeat; which includes adding that second day off after Pull. I also will start to add a deload whenever I feel I need it (I just took my first one in a year last week...I need to obviously do more).

Bjgdaddyfrank is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Had cuff debridement , labrum debridement, spur decompression and bicep tenodesis 4 weeks ago today. I have full range of motion and started curling 5 pounds ( never thought I'd say those words) ..rough idea as to when I can start adding some weight to that "stack"?.

tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Bjgdaddyfrank View Post
    Had cuff debridement , labrum debridement, spur decompression and bicep tenodesis 4 weeks ago today. I have full range of motion and started curling 5 pounds ( never thought I'd say those words) ..rough idea as to when I can start adding some weight to that "stack"?.
    I didn't start real lifting (as opposed to rehab exercises) until 4 months after surgery, and that was with very light weight. I didn't curl with 5 pounds until about 10 weeks after surgery.

Good Luck!

Toonarmy39 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hi All - im scheduled to have a biceps tenodesis soon due to SLAP tear. My question is are there any restrictions in terms of exercises in the gym, can you still do shoulder dbell and machine press for example? Is there anything which you cant do since you had the tenodesis? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Had mine two years ago. Mine was extensive, surgeon needed to put a double anchor in my tenodesis. I have found that I can work my biceps hard, but the only limitation is doing free weight heavy barbell curls. I can go hard doing machine preacher curls, and dumbbell curls, but I tend to get pain when I try to do heavy barbell curls, which concerns me that I may be doing some damage to the repair, so I avoid them.

ssgsteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    40 years old active army just had surgery on Tuesday. Bicep tendonits such a amazing surgery anyway. I'm interested in your workout you starting doing. I have my first physical therapy appointment on Monday. Today i actually got out of the percoste coma and walked out side for about 6 miles. I feel good still icing it but just like you I've been a avid Gymaholic and of course due to my job stay in shape. With this injury now I'm wondering how can I at least make myself a lil better while everything heals? Do you go heavy on legs? Or stay light how much cardio would you recommend? Anything to help I know I have to check on my time share here pretty soon in the desert and I want to be able to get back to what I used to be.

Originally Posted by ssgsteve View Post
    40 years old active army just had surgery on Tuesday. Bicep tendonits such a amazing surgery anyway. I'm interested in your workout you starting doing. I have my first physical therapy appointment on Monday. Today i actually got out of the percoste coma and walked out side for about 6 miles. I feel good still icing it but just like you I've been a avid Gymaholic and of course due to my job stay in shape. With this injury now I'm wondering how can I at least make myself a lil better while everything heals? Do you go heavy on legs? Or stay light how much cardio would you recommend? Anything to help I know I have to check on my time share here pretty soon in the desert and I want to be able to get back to what I used to be.
    First off thank you for your service!
    I am not sure what kind of physical therapy you have access to, but recommendation #1 is to follow your therapist's orders. It is very important the first 6 weeks to put ZERO stress on your bicep tendon, meaning not contracting your bicep at all through that time. You can go back to the beginning of this thread to see how I recovered and progressed. Of course I had rotator cuff repair in addition to bicep tenodesis, but you can see my recovery pretty well documented. I am two years removed from the surgery, and can put full stress on the bicep. I go high intensity (to failure but with strict form, no jerking the weight) on machine preacher curls and concentration curls. But as I said in an earlier post I stay away from heavy free weight barbell curls because they cause me pain, but again, I had extensive rotator cuff repair, so you may not experience that.
    Again, take a look at the beginning of this thread, and you'll see some detailed documentation of my recovery.

Note: I corrected something: "It is very important the first 6 weeks to put ZERO stress on your bicep tendon, meaning not contracting your bicep at all through that time" (originally I said 4 weeks but I went back and looked at my log, and it was 6 weeks)
    Good luck!
    Last edited by tkdnj; 03-27-2017 at 09:04 AM.

ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My ortho made me wait 6 weeks

Originally Posted by ToPHeR35 View Post
    My ortho made me wait 6 weeks
    You mean to contract your bicep? If so, same here

ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ToPHeR35 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yup, but my shoulder is crazy reconstructed anyways from a bunch of surgeries. The tenodesis reattached the long head tendon, but I've already had my short head reattached because of a Latarjet on the same shoulder

I still have some discomfort with pulling/rowing movements. How about you? Also, like putting hands on hips or higher.

Originally Posted by ToPHeR35 View Post
    I still have some discomfort with pulling/rowing movements. How about you? Also, like putting hands on hips or higher.
    Been two years since my surgery, and as far as pulling goes, I only feel discomfort if I try to curl very heavy. I do dumbbell rows, lat pull downs, machine low rows, preacher curls, and concentration curls with no issue. I do not do dead lifts at the recommendation of my surgeon.

Best,
    TKDNJ

erhos is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hope all is going well. I had a bicep tenodesis a little under two years ago (tore labrum + partial tear to the bicep tendon while pitching-no popeye deformity at the time). Anyway, I can do virtually any lift without pain (although some only in moderation). However, I now have a slight popeye in the bicep, thats been getting more noticeable as I continue lifting. My OS did an ultrasound on the shoulder, and found that the bicep was still attached to the shoulder, so the deformity is just a result of the surgery. Has anybody else had a similar experience? Or does the repaired bicep look identical to the other?

Originally Posted by erhos View Post
    Hope all is going well. I had a bicep tenodesis a little under two years ago (tore labrum + partial tear to the bicep tendon while pitching-no popeye deformity at the time). Anyway, I can do virtually any lift without pain (although some only in moderation). However, I now have a slight popeye in the bicep, thats been getting more noticeable as I continue lifting. My OS did an ultrasound on the shoulder, and found that the bicep was still attached to the shoulder, so the deformity is just a result of the surgery. Has anybody else had a similar experience? Or does the repaired bicep look identical to the other?
    My bicep that had tenodesis looks slightly different than the other bicep. It's not really a "popeye", but not as nicely shaped as the non-tenodesis bicep, especially where the bicep attaches to the shoulder. It's kinda flat there

Jack Stein has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bicep tendonesis surgery

Hey guys, I had tendonitis that needed to be corrected by surgery. The upper bicep tendon had a slight tear that was causing pain (tendonitis), interrupting sleep, and not allowing me to do any presses, bench presses, or pushups. My workouts were suffering and after a cordizone shot did not give me relief, I decided after much research to get the bicep tendonesis surgery. Only 1 anchor was required and my rotator cuff was in great shape other than some arthritis from my age of 67. I am now 8 weeks post surgery and have got almost perfect range of motion. I have begun training my upper body again although I am using baby weights compared to before and doing all movements with continuous tension throughout. My seated press dumbells are 20's, bench press dumbells are now 25's and my curling dumbells are 15's but my doctor wants me to work up very slowly during the next 4 weeks. After over 50 years of training, I am completely in tune with what my body is telling me and no longer have the strength or inclination to push beyond what my surgically repaired bicep/shoulder can handle. My shoulder feels pretty good, not pain free but pretty good for 8 weeks post surgery! I will keep posting my progress every week or two.

Good luck Jack. You just keep listening to your body, and don’t force anything, and you will be fine. What I have found to be critical is to ensure that every rep of every set is controlled. No swinging, no using momentum, no jerking at the bottom. Control every rep. Are you going to physical therapy?

kingjessica is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Angry Hello.

I just had the bicep tenodesis done on 2/20. I was hoping to get some input from here. I have been waking up with severe spasms in that arm. And this morning it pulled and you could hear it pop just below the joint on the inner side. Almost in the armpit. Has anyone had that happen? Since it happens it hurts very bad.

Originally Posted by kingjessica View Post
    I just had the bicep tenodesis done on 2/20. I was hoping to get some input from here. I have been waking up with severe spasms in that arm. And this morning it pulled and you could hear it pop just below the joint on the inner side. Almost in the armpit. Has anyone had that happen? Since it happens it hurts very bad.
    I did not experience that. I assume you have been to the doctor since then? What was the outcome?

Taipan13 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Strength and Symmetry

tkdnj and anyone else who has had the Biceps Tendesis, How's things going? It has been 4 years or so since your OP, I had mine done just over 3 years ago. I also have that kinda of flat looking part to the arm near the shoulder. Has the shape of your biceps changed with each passing year? I'm worried that as the years go by the muscle will begin to sag more and more. The operated biceps doesn't pop up in all movements like my good arm and I have to consciously activate the flex otherwise it looks a little gimpish! I've also noticed loss of strength, which is not surprising, in the movements that involve the biceps directly ie chins and curls, but what has surprised me is I have lost more strength from pressing movements, whereas I'm able to shoulder press an arbitrary weight with my good side for 15 reps I would only be able to manage 10 on the bad side followed pain and discomfort for the next few days! Is this the same for you and if it is, have you noticed a change in symmetry between your good side and the operated side. If we are not able to push as much weight for as many reps it's going to show over time.
    I would be grateful to hear your thoughts.

Hi Taipan13 - my operated bicep still looks a little different than the non operated one. The bicep peak isn’t as good. But, there is only a slight difference in strength. By slight I mean maybe one more rep on dumbbell curls. On chest, shoulder and back movements there is no difference in strength. All in all I am happy with the results, especially considering I have a total of seven anchors because the rotator cuff was fully torn in many places. My bicep tendon was so torn that it took a double anchor to fix it. The good news is I was able to fully return. I was training hard 4 months after surgery, but it took about 18 months to move heavy weight without pain. In fact the operated shoulder doesn’t bother me at all anymore, unfortunately the other one does now as I have smaller tears in that one that I chose not to have surgery on. I just manage it by training very smart, controlling every rep, icing it when it’s tender, and avoiding exercises that hurt when it flares up. My comeback will be completed 2 weeks from now when I compete in a natural bodybuilding competition (over 50 category).
    Good luck and post back with any questions.

Taipan13 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hi Taipan13 - my operated bicep still looks a little different than the non operated one. The bicep peak isn’t as good. But, there is only a slight difference in strength. By slight I mean maybe one more rep on dumbbell curls. On chest, shoulder and back movements there is no difference in strength. All in all I am happy with the results, especially considering I have a total of seven anchors because the rotator cuff was fully torn in many places. My bicep tendon was so torn that it took a double anchor to fix it. The good news is I was able to fully return. I was training hard 4 months after surgery, but it took about 18 months to move heavy weight without pain. In fact the operated shoulder doesn’t bother me at all anymore, unfortunately the other one does now as I have smaller tears in that one that I chose not to have surgery on. I just manage it by training very smart, controlling every rep, icing it when it’s tender, and avoiding exercises that hurt when it flares up. My comeback will be completed 2 weeks from now when I compete in a natural bodybuilding competition (over 50 category).
    Good luck and post back with any questions.
    tkdnj...Thanks for getting back to me. I'm pleased to hear where you are at considering the extent of the work you've had done on your shoulder, without a doubt you can chalk this one up as a huge success! Sorry to hear about the other shoulder, my one also flares up from time to time, and like you, I manage it by focusing on that mind muscle connection and really controlled form, if only was training this way 20 years ago I wouldn't be in the state I am now...as they say 'Hindsight is a wonderful thing'.
    You've put yourself out there by telling me you're competing in 2 weeks, that means you have to come back here and let me know how you got. That really is a proper comeback and I wish you all the best.

Originally Posted by Taipan13 View Post
    tkdnj...
    You've put yourself out there by telling me you're competing in 2 weeks, that means you have to come back here and let me know how you got. That really is a proper comeback and I wish you all the best.
    Thanks man! I'll keep you posted

cltguy is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thanks for keeping this up to date

I've been putting off bicep tenodesis for a few years but it's limited everything I can do. Stop swimming, lifting weights, and even playing golf last year. I had a failed slap year about 15 years ago when I was younger, but I finally did in my rotator cuff in 3 weeks ago, and get bicep tenodesis on a week. I'm unbelievably anxious, mostly from the recovery time. Ordered a cheap power recliner to setup in a couple days. I'm having all the same stuff you spoke of, rotator cuff repair with anchors, bicep tenodesis, labrum repair and debridement, so thanks for sharing this log. 😳

Originally Posted by cltguy View Post
    I've been putting off bicep tenodesis for a few years but it's limited everything I can do. Stop swimming, lifting weights, and even playing golf last year. I had a failed slap year about 15 years ago when I was younger, but I finally did in my rotator cuff in 3 weeks ago, and get bicep tenodesis on a week. I'm unbelievably anxious, mostly from the recovery time. Ordered a cheap power recliner to setup in a couple days. I'm having all the same stuff you spoke of, rotator cuff repair with anchors, bicep tenodesis, labrum repair and debridement, so thanks for sharing this log. 😳
    Good luck cltguy; keep us posted. The recovery takes a while, but well worth it. Just keep that in mind. Knowing that is what got me through; and my terribly damaged shoulder feels great today. Strong as ever.

cltguy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Good luck cltguy; keep us posted. The recovery takes a while, but well worth it. Just keep that in mind. Knowing that is what got me through; and my terribly damaged shoulder feels great today. Strong as ever.
    Appreciate the support - I'm anxious as hell obviously but I'm ready to be out of pain! Got the button sleeve shirt, recliner, list of shows, and PT appointment set. Slow and steady for the recovery - thanks for the support and info! I'll keep you posted when I can!