SGoodnight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Help me find what I'm doing wrong

Hello all,

Long time reader, first time posting. I have a small story to go with my bodybuilding issues and goals, and I need help.

I had been playing D1 lacrosse for 3 years (2012-Jan 2015) and trained at a very high level. My nutrition wasn't a priority to me until a friend, now bodybuilder, on the team introduced me to true lifting, training, and bodybuilding. I became enthralled with it, and it quickly became my #1 hobby. Early in the fall of 2014 I tore my hamstring once in October of '14, and again late November of '14. I was devastated and let go of my diet for a while. Last January I moved back home for a multituted of reasons, and began physical therapy on my hamstring. I started training again in the middle of January, and was careful to work just my upper body until I could get my legs back.

Which brings me to my issue now. I have been training 6 days a week for 2 and half months now, and am struggling.

Before I started training this year (post injury) I was 178 lbs at 21% body fat. In August 2014 I was 175 lbs 5.6% body fat...clearly not happy with where I got. Now I am 170 lbs 13% and very unhappy with that. Numbers aren't everything to me, but they might help you get a picture of where I am.

For the first month I lightly got my body back into lifting. For the first 4 weeks, I lifted Monday, Wednesday, Friday and only did upper body because my hamstring was still in recovery. My lift was the exact same all of the days and only varied in Reps. On Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday I did core and Cardio.

Bench Press (Super-Set with Lat Pull Down)

Monday: 3 sets of 10
    Wednesday: 3 sets of 8
    Friday: 3 sets of 5

DB Seated Military Press

Preacher Curls (Super-Set with Cable tricep Pull Down)

Each day I went up 5 lbs in each lift. Except for Bicep and Tricep I went up 2.5 lbs a week. My wednesday for the current week became my monday for next week. For example on bench

WEEK 1
    Monday: 3 Sets of 10 at 135lbs
    Wednesday: 3 set of 8 at 140lbs
    Friday: 3 sets of 10 at 145 lbs

WEEK 2
    Monday: 3 sets of 10 at 140lbs
    Wednesday: 3 set of 8 at 145lbs
    Friday: 3 sets of 5 at 150lbs

Etc.

after the 2nd week I was cleared for cardio and did 20 minutes a day on the stair master.

I also was carb cycling with the help of the Ab Lab app for your phone. which essentially limited carbs to 340g on a high carb day and 30g on a low carb day.

After 4 weeks of that I felt good enough to start training hard again, and got cleared to lift with my legs but I had to start very low and slow. I picked up Simeone Panda's workout off his website which looked like this:

Monday: Chest
    8 sets of Bench Press ranging from 1 – 20 reps
    8 sets of Incline Press ranging from 1 – 20 reps
    6 sets of Cable Fly’s low ranging from 6 – 20 reps
    6 sets of Cable Fly’s high ranging from 6 – 20 reps

Tuesday: Legs
    3 sets of Leg Extensions 20 reps
    8 Sets of Squats ranging from 4 – 10 reps
    8 Sets of Leg Press ranging from 12 – 15 reps
    8 Sets of Lying Leg Curl ranging from 6 – 20 reps
    4 Sets of Calf Presses on Leg Press Superset with Raises off the wall 20 reps
    4 Sets of Donkey Calf Raises Superset with Raises off the wall 20 reps

Wednesday: Back
    8 sets of Bent Over Row ranging from 6 – 20 reps
    8 sets of Lat Pull Down ranging from 6 – 20 reps
    8 sets of Seated Row ranging from 6 – 20 reps
    8 sets of Deadlifts ranging from 6 – 20 reps
    6 sets of Single Arm Row ranging from 6 – 10 reps

Thursday: Shoulders
    8 sets of Shoulder Press ranging from 6 – 20 reps
    8 sets of Dumbbell Lat Raises ranging from 6 – 20 reps
    8 sets of Front Raises ranging from 6 – 20 reps
    8 sets of Barbell Shrugs ranging from 6 – 20 reps

Friday: Arms
    8 Sets of Close Grip Bench Press ranging from 6 – 20 reps
    8 sets of Preacher Curls ranging from 6 – 20 reps
    8 sets of Pushdowns ranging from 6 – 20 reps
    8 sets of Hammer Curls ranging from 6 – 20 reps

Saturday
    Rest

Sunday: Legs
    8 Sets of Leg Extensions 20 reps
    Dumbbell Walking Lunges 20+ Laps of the gym
    4 Sets of Calf Presses on Leg Press Superset with Raises off the wall 20 reps
    4 Sets of Donkey Calf Raises Superset with Raises off the wall 20 reps

I decided to try it out with the plan of:

Week 1: 20 reps (or max for the lift)
    Week 2: 15 reps
    Week 3: 10 reps
    Week 4: 6 reps

This all excluded legs, to which I did 10 reps of everything legs, and started out at what is an embarrassing weight for me --115 lbs for squat.

It worked out well, and I got very cut very fast. But I was not putting on size. I decided for the next 4 months I would do everything 10 reps, change my diet up, and start to add more weight. I made it through 3 weeks of everything 10 reps, going up 5 lbs in everything every week. I eat/ate ~220g Protein a day ~450g Carbs a day and ~90g fat a day which usually dropped between 3100-3800 cal a day. STILL NO GAINs. I still weigh 170lbs i am still 13% body fat. I look relatively the same.

So I decided to completely change it up. Last week I did my own lifts for 4 sets of 5, following the muscle group days in the Simeone Panda lift, but not all the same lifts.

This entire time:

Every day I do cardio
    Every Monday and thursday I play pick up for about 2 hours.
    I do core 5 days a week
    I get 8-9 hours of sleep a day

Which brings me to today. My frustration in my size and weight brought me to the forums of Bodybuilding.com. I have spent the better of 2 hours looking for size building forums, power building forums, and diet forums, and I cant seem to find the answer. PLEASE HELP ME FIND THAT ANSWER.

I will be on this every single day, most the time more than once a day. I have reviewed this post twice and I am pretty sure I didn't leave anything out. But I am sure I did. ANY QUESTIONS, please dont hesitate.

I will listen and read any advice given.

Thank you again

dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Ditch the high-rep brosplit messing around you're doing and get on a strength program. Get strong, then you'll get big.

Workout Programs:
    All Pro's Beginner Routine
    Stronglifts 5x5
    Fierce 5
    Starting Strength

How to lift properly

Cardio while having difficulty gaining size may not be the best plan. A moderate amount to maintain conditioning is a good thing, but playing ball will give you that. The extra cardio you are doing beyond that is just making it harder to get sufficient calories.

If you're not making gains, eat more.

Read this stuff:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...mass-gain.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...-gains-qa.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...ass-gains.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...ass-gains.html

spawnofmcleod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by dmacdonal9 View Post
    Ditch the high-rep brosplit messing around you're doing and get on a strength program. Get strong, then you'll get big.
    This is good advice. Look up Pavel Tsatsouline.

KDG730 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDG730 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDG730 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDG730 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDG730 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDG730 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDG730 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDG730 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDG730 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDG730 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDG730 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I dont know what youre looking for exactly because this is the longest dam post in the history of posts BUT...

Eat at surplus EVERYDAY and lift heavy and you will grow. No more 20 reps bs. Follow a non bro split and focus on heavy compounds followed by high volume in the 8-10 range.

mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    take some time to read the stickies and educate yourself in the philosophy behind many of the starter programs. Don't let your ego get in the way of making great gains with a beginner routine because you think you're advanced. Many people who have lifted for decades have realized that they are still beginners because they've done it wrong the entire time, and get amazing results when following a professionally designed program. The biggest thing is that they are designed to train your body with the optimal intensity without going overboard on reps, which could lead to serious injury and lots of downtime. you don't need 20 reps, you need to get used to using heavier weight and keeping good form with heavier weights.

ericdesaso has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Definitely cut it back to 6-12 reps. And your progress isn't that bad. Be patient! Keep it in the hypertrophy rep range. You'll have to pack on muscle and cut to get back to where you were so its going to take a while, playing with your cutting and bulking.

SGoodnight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thank you all for good advice. I know I am still a beginner, but it's not my first time lifting. The "brosplit" comments are b.s. I am in no way trying to bro out in the gym.

Thank you dmacdonal9 for pointing me in a good direction.
    Thank you eridesaso for the positive encouragement

dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SGoodnight View Post
    Thank you all for good advice. I know I am still a beginner, but it's not my first time lifting. The "brosplit" comments are b.s. I am in no way trying to bro out in the gym.
    Well, the term brosplit is normally used to describe a routine with excessive exercise variation, excessive volume, light weights, once-weekly training frequency per bodypart, pretty much exactly what you're doing. Frankly, it's a terrible way to train unless you're an advanced lifter with some special supplements.

Tons of folks start out that way, I know I certainly did in my twenties. And for a couple years I made zero progress, got disgusted, and stopped lifting for 10 years. Once I understood how to match my programming to my training age, I started over in my late thirties and made excellent progress on 5x5 strength programs.