Page 1 of 53 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
    coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Turning into a meathead- mid life crisis

I am starting this journal because I am turning into the same kind of muscle head/meat head that I was when I was 16-17 years old.

I find myself at a point in life where I can focus on the grind and enjoy the consistent gains that come with dedication to a simple progressive overload program.

My program is unique, different, but effective and proven.

I am 49, here are my current lifts:

Bench 385
    Deep squat 425
    Deadlift 500

Here is my routine:

At my home gym it looks like this:

Day 1- Chest/Back/Shoulders/Abs

Bench press / Lat pulldowns- 5 sets each 3-8 reps
    Incline press/ Seated Rows- 5 sets each 5-8 reps
    *sometimes Ill throw in some flyes or incline flyes (depending on time)
    Seated press behind head/narrow grip pulldowns 4 sets each 5-8 reps
    upright rows/more pulldowns or rows 4 sets of 5-8 reps
    3 way dumbbell raises, front, side, rear...3 giant sets. (up to five time permitting)
    3 sets of situps.

Day 2 rest

Day 3- Legs and Arms

Squats- 5 sets 3-8 reps
    Front squats or Leg press 5 sets 5-8 reps
    Leg ext/leg curls 5 sets each 8-15 reps

ez bar curls/pushdowns 5 sets each 5-8 reps
    alternate db curls/lying triceps ext 5 sets each 6-10 reps
    concentration curls/more pushdowns 3-4 sets , 6-10reps

Day 4- Rest

repeat

* I don't care what day of the week my "on day" falls on, I just keep alternating lift/rest/lift/rest and I like a lot of sets done in alittle bit of time. Usually I am done in about 45-55 minutes and can get 42-47 sets done in that time and continue to stay motivated and recover. The best mentality I have ever had "get my squats in" or "get my push/pull in" and "everything after that is gravy" really helps keep me going (and I have been doing this since I was about 13 and plan to continue til I am six feet under)

* I eat 5-6 times a day, every three hours...if it had parents , Ill eat it.

eggs/chicken/beef....those are staples
    potatoes, rice, salads....staples

gluten free toast is a treat....peanut butter and popcorn are treats... I don't take a whey shake or any supplements...just cant afford that right now. prefer to put that money toward eggs/chicken

Not much concern about cut/ripped...just want to be thick, strong and feel young in the process. Would love to get a 600 lb deadlift, 500 lb squat and 450 bench ...but its probably not realistic given the fact that I have trained for many years. Good to avoid injuries, keep gaining but avoid stupid stuff. I mainly avoid max singles and doubles and live 3-8 reps.

old guy aches and pains are mostly knee issues due to being very active, runner, basketball and things of that nature on top of lifting. NO excuses, I squat and front squat and I go deep.

Anyhow, today is leg day....

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Started the day off with two cups of coffee, six eggs and a cup of oatmeal....two glasses of milk...

then hit the garage...

Another day with several new Prs

Bench Press
    375x2 (never doubled that before)
    355x3
    325x6 (new PR for 6)
    325x5
    325x5

*after each bench I did a set of pulldowns
    220x9 ( may have blown adding up the weight)
    220x7
    220x8
    220x7
    220x7

Incline bench press
    285x 7 (new Pr)
    285x6
    285x4
    285x4
    285x4

*after each incline bench I did a set of rows
    220x11 (silly light today)
    240x8
    250x6
    250x6
    250x6

feeling real good at this point, so added ten lbs to my shoulder press...
    behind neck
    195x7
    205x5
    205x5
    205x5

*after each set of presses I did some narrow pulldowns
    220x6
    220x6
    220x5
    220x5

upright rows:
    115x8
    120x6
    120x6
    120x6

*after each set of upright rows, I did some very strict narrow pulldowns with a pause and squeeze
    185x8
    185x6
    185x6

finished off with 5 sets of dumbbell side laterals 8-10 reps (25 lb dbs)

Time to rest, eat and grow.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Every workout is GAME DAY!

This is out of order....leg day from a few days ago...

Another great workout today.

I have really been putting away the food in pursuit of my goal of a 405 bench...

Id really like to get the point where I am doing all of my squat sets over 405 as well. Multiple knee surgeries have held me back and I am dealing with bone spurs in my knees as well as some "loose debris" which can at times screw up my knee function...

still...todays squat workout was good. Low back felt nice and fresh when I entered the gym and I stayed with the flat footed free weight squat today.

bw warmup
    135 warmup
    225 warmup
    315 warmup
    365x6
    that felt kind of easy actually so I bumped the weight to :
    375x4, 375x4, 375x3
    then two pause sets nice and deep with 315x 5-6

Leg press philosophy "get 8 and add a plate" continues
    I did 12 plates too easily for 8, went to 14 plates where Id finished last time and got 6
    another set of that for 5
    then a couple of more sets with 13 plates for around 5-6

leg extensions and leg curls for 4-5 sets each to finish off the legs.

I did more volume for my arms today but moved much slower than usual.
    straight bar curls 105x 8 strict curls...115x 6, 115x6...then back down to 105 for two more sets.
    alt db curls...45s x 8s and took all sets to strict failure with a couple of cheats at the end.
    some preacher curls on cable machine and concentration curls...

then did about 10 sets of pushdowns for the triceps. Im avoiding extensions at the moment.

Pretty sure Ill be doing regular squat sets with 405 x 5 if I can keep the knee healthy.

feel pretty good.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Trained legs and arms yesterday.

I had some questions about my right knee due to arthritis and bone spurs....so I had it wrapped. I did squat up to 365 for reps but felt some discomfort and just didn't want to push my luck there....but did 5 sets after backing off to 315.

I did 5 sets of leg press with 13 plates and that as high intensity as I had a partner help me get some forced reps.

leg ext/leg curls...felt great.

Then on arms...Id been doing 8-10 reps the last few workouts and just didn't like the look or feel of my arms...I added weight to my barbell and db curls (using the 50s) and got a much better workout.

I checked some records....I haven't missed a workout in 2 months and have hit some kind of PR in every single workout for over two months...including going up an increadible 80 lbs since my first workout after football season (muscle memory is amazing).

Worked out at the school today.

Bench/lat pulldowns
    incline bench/rows
    incline flyes/narrow pulldowns
    flat flyes/narrow pulldowns
    (was pressed for time, skipped the db shoulder press)
    upright rows
    db side lateral raise

strong, steady....worked up a great sweat. No spotter for bench...but still cranking sets in the 315-325 range...

nutrition today:

eggs/toast/coffee
    eggs/potato
    chicken/potato
    chicken/milk/fruit
    looks like dinner is chicken legs and potato/and green beens

(not a lot of greens on the menu today....and that's ok)
    Last edited by coachcalande; 04-23-2015 at 03:20 PM.

HYMENATOR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYMENATOR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYMENATOR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYMENATOR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYMENATOR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYMENATOR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYMENATOR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYMENATOR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYMENATOR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYMENATOR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYMENATOR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    In on this, some impressive lifting going on ITT. Good job Coach! What is your height/weight?

Originally Posted by HYMENATOR View Post
    In on this, some impressive lifting going on ITT. Good job Coach! What is your height/weight?
    5-9" - run about 300 even. Trying to get bigger...considering upping protein and seeing how that impacts my lifts..

Todays workout notes...

Back in my garage gym so...to compare gains youd have to find notes from garage gym vs school gym...(I hve no idea how much my smith bar is, I thought it was a 70 lb bar, but I count it as a 45 lb bar...whatever)

Man, I thought my legs were just really weak but it would seem that I have to use almost 100 less pounds to squat on a smith machine? I guess the limited motion is somehow strict and must take some focus off the glutes or something.

In any case, todays home gym workout looked like this:

(coffee, banana, oatmeal with cheese melted in, 6 eggs)

Smith Machine squats
    235x6
    285x5
    305x3 (I triple 405 on free weights)
    325x2
    285x5
    285x4

Smith machine front squats
    155x7
    175x4
    155x5
    155x5

Leg ext (free weight)
    125x12
    (did 5 sets probably 10-12 reps each)

Ez Bar curls
    (added 10 lbs )
    118x7
    118x7
    118x6
    118x6
    118x5

Pushdowns
    100x8
    100x7
    100x7
    100x7
    100x5
    ....and so on for ten sets

Alternate db curls
    45x8
    45x7
    45x6
    45x6
    45x6

concentration curls, quick 3 sets burning out the bis...

Then,...uh...skipped the leg curls to go help the bride clean out the gutters.

Had a huge glass of milk, 6 more eggs...immediately after that.

I am considering getting some whey as Id like to bump my protein up another 50 grams and see what happens.
    Last edited by coachcalande; 04-25-2015 at 06:23 AM.

today

coffee
    banana oatmeal with cheese.....6 eggs

6 more eggs

two tuna sandwiches (huge can of tuna) milke

chicken breast potato/milk

3 chicken thighs/rice

.....2 table spoons of peanut butter, milk (really want a whey shake here)

I feel like my body fat is reducing, I guess the added volume of training and extra yard work....beginning to tap into my cals ...going to try and add a couple of more eggs and a bit more milk and a shake...
    Last edited by coachcalande; 04-26-2015 at 02:06 AM.

Quick health inventory:

Knees- left knee relatively pain free....right knee is a "trick knee" at this point. Havent had the clicking and locking that I had last week - I think the compression of the wraps (during workouts and after) has helped immensely and ILl continue to wrap for even light yard work etc.

left elbow -have avoided skull crushers lately and though very heavy presses slightly irritate the left elbow, compression has helped there and I noticed that after yesterdays triceps/biceps workout that I had no pain or swelling so the bursitis or tendonitis may well be improving.

Id say that my low back could use a break, maybe my next leg workout will be without squats or deadlifts and just be about leg press/hacks and extensions....we will see.

INCREDIBLE BULK BREAKFAST
    2 cups of coffee
    -------------

oat meal with 2slices of cheese melted in (yum)
    1 large glass of milk
    7-8 eggs Id guess (scrambled, shared mass of them with the family)

body looks a tad bit leaner but chest, back, arms feel full... this am.

9am-7 eggs cheese omelette, banana, glass of milk

12- huge chicken breast, potato

3- giant can of tuna over potato, diet pepsi

6 will be some kind of pepper steak and rice (yes, two plates of pepper steak) - milk

8 - snack...not sure...peanut butter sand and milk maybe...
    Last edited by coachcalande; 04-26-2015 at 03:49 PM.

The scale has moved 3 pounds this week ....making gainz

Originally Posted by coachcalande View Post
    The scale has moved 3 pounds this week ....making gainz
    So I am trying to track my meals on fitnesspal...we will see how that goes.

Todays workout...well, lets just say I SMASHED SOME PERSONAL RECORDS:

Bench Press
    1. 325x6
    2. 325x4
    3.325x4
    4.325x3

*Pulldowns after each set of bench
    250x9
    250x5
    250x5
    250x5
    250x4

Incline bench press
    295x5 (pr)
    295x4
    295x5
    295x4
    295c3

* rows after each set of inclines
    250x8 PR
    250x6
    250x7
    250x6
    250x6

Then I did an isolation intensity exercise...nearly puked after 3 sets of these
    Fly press
    45x11+3
    45x8 +4
    45x7+4
    45x7+4

Between each set of fly press I did narrow pulldowns
    220x7 pr
    220x6
    220x5
    220x5
    220x5

Press behind neck
    205x2
    195x4
    195x4
    175x8

Upright rows
    115x8 pr
    125x5
    125x5
    125x5

db lateral raise
    25x9
    25x8
    25x7
    25x7

done...looking for some grub.

Attachments:

Had considered reducing egg intake due to high fat contact, ie keep the whites....but I know theres evidence of eggs boosting testosterone ...and at my age...

I would like to get closer to 50-40-10 in terms macros....but IM sure im not close to that given my fat intake which is well beyond the daily limit by the time I finish my 12th egg.

making gains, not making changes right now.

Did drop the peanut butter snack in the evening in favor for 6 oz chicken breast....didn't have any milk and don't have any today (yet)

April Gains:
    Squats - 10 lbs on training weight
    front squats-30 lbs on training weight
    leg ext- 15 lbs on training weight
    leg curls- 5 lbs on training weight
    barbell curls- 10 lbs on training weight
    pushdowns- I stayed exactly the same due to elbow trouble,kept the weight the same and reps the same.
    Bench press- 15 pounds progression
    Incline bench press- 20 pounds progression
    shoulder press- 10 lbs progress
    upright rows- 10 lbs progress
    pulldowns- stayed the same, but much better form.
    seated rows- 30 pounds of progress on rows
    narrow pulldowns- gained one rep

Today I "PRd" my seated rows...260x8

Other than that..

A bit of a "deload" and go by feel day to get more reps....

NO change in the scale this week. HOlding steady.

I think its time for a week of 6-8 reps, avoid those heavy 2-3 rep sets for a week or two.

NO change in the scale this week. HOlding steady.

I think its time for a week of 6-8 reps, avoid those heavy 2-3 rep sets for a week or two.

bullied my lateral raises...they felt oddly light and easy today...time to graduate on that weight...all of the other things went well.

trained around some elbow bursitis ...felt pretty good.

wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Great looking lifts in here.
    ᕙ(͡°‿ ͡°)

Originally Posted by wishiwasdivin View Post
    Great looking lifts in here.

Thank you.

I am really making some nice progress. Wishing I hadn't let myself go this past football season.

Started the weekend off with 9 sets of squats, 5 sets each leg ext/leg curls, 5 sets each of barbell curls/db curls and 10 sets of pushdowns. Today is a win. Several PRs.

Prs on squats, leg ext, leg curls, bb curls, db curls....used 20% less on training weight for pushdowns as I am working through/around a sore elbow. I suspect bursitis so im babying it a bit while wrapping and icing as well.

Its getting better. I smashed the darn thing into a door frame and pretty sure that's what irritated it in the first place.

wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Starting off with 9 sets of squats that's a killer in itself
    ᕙ(͡°‿ ͡°)

Starting off with 9 sets of squats that's a killer in itself
    My low back, fully recovered....I pounded those squats, high reps, medium reps, low reps, back to medium and finished with high...complete pyramid, felt great.

then I had to mow our yard...talk about jello legs.

They are sore today.

My low back, fully recovered....I pounded those squats, high reps, medium reps, low reps, back to medium and finished with high...complete pyramid, felt great.

then I had to mow our yard...talk about jello legs.

They are sore today.
    lol and the DOMS set in That mower feels like pushing a ton sled
    ᕙ(͡°‿ ͡°)

Monster day in the garage:

Bench press 330x5
    Incline bench press 295x4
    Pulldowns 250x7
    Rows 270x6
    Narrow pulldowns 220x7
    Press behind neck 205x4
    upright rows 125x5
    side lateral raise 25x11
    Last edited by coachcalande; 05-11-2015 at 02:36 PM.

Monster day is right, nice 330x5 bench
    ᕙ(͡°‿ ͡°)

Stayed with the 9 set squat pyramid again, really enjoy the better warmup and overall variety, volume and intensity.

I Prd my leg ext with 145x15, then hit 12 reps with 145 on seated leg curls.

Wasnt feeling all that great today, in fact, fell asleep while icing my elbow pre workout. But overall, a decent workout and got it done.

Scale down a couple of lbs this am.

Nice PR for not feeling al that great.
    ᕙ(͡°‿ ͡°)

Nice PR for not feeling al that great.
    Its very strange, two or three months ago, leg ext really kind of bothered me. I think the muscles around my knees were weak and my knees were unstable. Id been having issues with bone spurs and arthritis in there, lately I feel pretty daggone good (basically since I started wearing wraps for my entire leg workout or even if out tossing a ball with the kids). I just seem to have less knee pain and discomfort even after the leg days.

I can absolutely see mass change in my thighs which tend to respond slowly due to knee surgeries and a lifetime of issues there. I feel like this current combo of pyramid squats and leg ext/leg curls is good for me. I go up to my 3 rep max ....by that time I am well warmed up.

Cooked up some red meat for the next two days.

Added some with my eggs this am.

Last night, huge taco feast....

perfect feeding after leg day.

Oatmeal, fruit, potatos on the carb menu for today.

we will see what the bride plans for dinner.

Absolutely zero elbow discomfort this am, I have it wrapped for padding/cushion to protect the bursa anyhow.

Legs are absolutely beat whipped. biceps feel worked well also.

Dropped a couple of more lbs this week.

Elbow feels great, knee feels great.

Looking forward to todays Iron session. (torso day)

Its very strange, two or three months ago, leg ext really kind of bothered me. I think the muscles around my knees were weak and my knees were unstable. Id been having issues with bone spurs and arthritis in there, lately I feel pretty daggone good (basically since I started wearing wraps for my entire leg workout or even if out tossing a ball with the kids). I just seem to have less knee pain and discomfort even after the leg days.

I can absolutely see mass change in my thighs which tend to respond slowly due to knee surgeries and a lifetime of issues there. I feel like this current combo of pyramid squats and leg ext/leg curls is good for me. I go up to my 3 rep max ....by that time I am well warmed up.
    I feel it's always a good idea to wrap the knees. So you've had knee surgery? I'm 6 months post shoulder surgery myself, tore the rotator cuff an blew out my bicep.
    ᕙ(͡°‿ ͡°)