TriLifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Half Ironman Training log.

Background:
    Competing in Triathlons since 2009.
    I did my first half Ironman in 2013. My goal time was 5hrs and I managed 5:07.00
    I am combining lifting into my program.
    I've read all the articles and accept that lifting and endurance is bound fail.
    So why try?
    First I downhill mountain bike for fun. Lifting helps protect me during crashes.
    Second. Before my first Half Iron tri I got an overuse knee injury.
    As a result I could only do some gym work for a couple of months.
    Typically I weigh around 70kg and race at 67kg.
    Because of my lifting I got to 74kg and raced at 72kg for my Half.
    During that race, my swim and bike splits were the fastest I have ever done regardless of distance (including sprint and super sprint triathlons).
    Since I had a year off triathlons and worked on my lifting as I focused on Downhill mountain bike last year.
    I got to 82kg at around 13-14% body fat.
    Now I have signed on for another 70.3 tri in september. Currently I am at 79kg and 15%bf after a couple of months not doing a lot (moved country, bought house, new job etc).
    My training plan is about 10 hours training every week, with 2 lifting sessions early on in the build faze, in the intensity faze I will reduce it to one session, and probably eliminate it altogether in the race prep faze.
    Goals for each leg:
    Swim: 45minutes
    Ride: 2hours 20minutes
    Run: 1hour 50minutes

Training:
    All my endurace training is based on time rather than distance.
    My lifting will be only compound lifts - Deadlifts and Squats.
    Starting back out running again - todays run 45mins. slow pace - slower than 5:30minute kilometres.

So far my training log has been a failure.
    I've moved country (from UK to Australia) started a new job and been doing house renovations so time has been at a premium.
    Also broke my thumb mountain biking too.
    But here is how I am going.
    Current weight is 78kg - I did get upto around 83 in april as I was lifting more. Was also packing more fat.
    Measured my thighs the last week - 61cm - I was 62cm in april.

Currently squating 110kg at 5x5. This is well below my current max efforts but Im doing them as part of my HIIT bike day.
    I have my bike setup on a turbo trainer next to my rack. I do 15-30min warm up on the bike depending on how my legs are. I then jump off and do my squats. I get back on and spin easy for 2-3min then do 5min max effort (zone 4-5) on the bike. I give myself 10 - 15min moderate spin in between sets (zone 2 heart rate). Then finish with a nice long warm down.

My long rides are at 3.5 hours (depending on conditions I am covering around 25 - 30km every hour) nice easy spinning except for 2 10min efforts at zone 4.

Running has been most effected by my increased weight. Whilst I cover the distances easy enough, it can be painfully slow. To be fair where I live is very hilly and my 70.3 run will be dead flat. So I maybe doing better than I think. Just don't have the raw running speed I used to have - did do 10k in 41min and 46min in an olympic tri.

Swimming I have been a little lazy on. Pool closed just around the corner for winter and the next nearest is 20min drive. Having said that the swims I have done have been strong but slow - nothing new for me.
    I have a fairly lazy approach to swimming - once I start to get tired or my form drops, I get out of the pool. My Idea is that I am only reinforcing bad habits past that point. Worked for me last time with my best swim split I have ever done.

Also thought I would add my supplements as well.
    I'm currently using CNP pro peptide after my runs and rides (not after swimming my stomach can't handle it)
    I also take creatine and recently started taking glutamine as well. Since starting the glutamine I have noticed a definite reduction in DOMS. Also plan on getting L-Argenine for the increase blood capillary size in the hope it will aid my aerobic capacity.
    On rides and runs I use GU energy drink and torq gels. Uncaffinated at this stage as in the past caffeine has given me chest pains.

8 weeks till my race.
    Last night was running. I did my usual hilly loop (about an hour running time - around 10k). There is three long dragging climbs. Usually by the second Im hurting and by the third I am shuffling and doubling over. Last night I strode up the last climb still feeling really good .

Great to finally see some progress on my running.

Did I mention I did a 3.5 hour ride the day before. More running again tonight - speed session.
    Wednesday will be a swim
    Thursday will be a speed/strength bike session.
    Friday swim.

So far week hasn't gone to exact plan.
    Did my bike session on Wednesday in the week without the lifting due to my back being sore. Thursday was a hectic day at work so I didn't train. Hopefully still swim tonight. Weekend is free so that will give a good opportunity for training.
    4 hour ride planned for tomorrow and a 1.5 hour run on sunday.

Saturday - 3 hour ride that ended with a crash - bruised inner thigh on top tube of bike and lots of skin off my knee. Bike has considerable damage too. Was averaging a higher speed than previous at a much lower heart rate.
    Sunday - 1.5 hour run, couldn't make my normal stride due to bruising from saturday.
    Monday - Rest

No riding since my crash as I await parts to repair my bike. Did my first swim since the crash last night, didn't want to jump into the pool with all the gross scars I have had. Healed reasonably well. Still some bruising on my right leg.
    Also did a 1.45 hour run on monday night - some pain in my leg but otherwise felt reasonably good.
    Added L-Carnitine to my pre aerobic work outs and BCAAs aftwards. See how that goes.
    Not feeling very confident of a PB for the 70.3. My three month run in has been pretty broken and a bit wayward.
    Have a pre hit out planned in a couple of weeks, practice swimming in the surf and then riding the course.
    Normally I do a shorter triathlon as a hit out a month out to get the feel for racing again, but there is nothing suitable on at the moment as it is 'out of season' for triathlon here.

After the 70.3 I will be having a reset period of lifting some heavy weights again before prepping for an olympic distance at Kingscliff in November.
    After that it gets too hot for me to race effectively, so I will switch to off season mode - building my muscle mass and clocking miles on the bike. Also do some mountain biking.

atm I am below my target weight (currently 77.5kg) but I need to lean out a little more for racing.

Also need to point out that in my first post I said I was 15% bf - not sure what I was taking - was actually 22%. Currently 18.5%
    Last edited by TriLifting; 08-04-2015 at 07:36 PM. Reason: BF% incorrect

1.5 hour run last night - felt really good.
    Maybe its placebo but not feeling sore or getting jelly legs the day after a long run or ride, since using my supplements.

swim and gym today - get some dead lifts in.

Lots of running in the last week while my bike was out of action.
    Running is going really good.
    Got on my bike again this morning for a speed session 5x5min intervals
    Hard but good session. Speed session running tonight.

Same tomorrow but with a run off the bike.

Also reduced the light coming into the bedroom over the weekend. Sleep is better which makes a big difference to how fresh I feel.
    Last edited by TriLifting; 08-10-2015 at 09:47 PM.

So same set this morning 5x5 plus a ten minute run off the bike.
    Intervals were easier today despite not being particularly fresh.
    Run was hard but pace was okay - 5.30min a kilometer is about my target speed and thats where I was today.
    Swim tonight, then same again tomorrow, maybe with a different interval set if my legs are not feeling it.
    might drop down to 3min x 7

Also got some speed parts coming for the bike - HED3 tri spokes. plus a shiny paint job schedule. Even if it just makes you feel fast then its worth the psychological points!

Will see how I go but i don't think I will do anymore weights till after my race now. I've lost a lot of ground with various problems.

So far though I am surprised with 2 things:

1. My recovery and sustainability. I used to get back aches on long rides before when I was a skinny rake. I also used to find it really hard to keep going back day after day. I think the world of body building has helped me understand my muscular system much better and how to feed it. All to often endurance athletes only concern them selves with the cardio system. So maybe some/most of these gains aren't from lifting but rather nutrition? Amongst endurance athletes, triathletes are considered the best at looking after nutrition. That maybe but compared to body builders they are severely lacking.

Strength and percived effort:
    I am well known for training till I puke. Its one of my talents.
    However I have not even been close this time around. Despite my performances being similar.
    I thought this might be due to me getting older and my heart not supporting such intense efforts.
    Last night however, I was going through my data from yesterdays session - max heart rate was 225!
    This hasn't slowed much in 3 years ( I was able to regularly hit 230 when I was in my late 20s)
    My heart rate shows similar response levels to training, but my perceived effort is down.
    Not sure what to make of that.
    Last edited by TriLifting; 08-11-2015 at 04:19 PM.

Another interval session this morning
    Instead of HIIT I did lactic threshold sets
    3x10min plus a short run. (1 hour 15mins total session - weekly total so far is 5.5hours still a 1 hour swim and 4.5hr ride to go!)
    Feeling really good at the moment. Not really that tired all things considers

Start.Rant\
    So even though I am a triathlete I hate triathletes. They are so ****ing obtuse its not funny.
    They constantly bang on about cardio performance and how weight lifting is bad for endurance performance etc.
    Its all about the aerobic they say.
    What they don't ****ing see is that they say that and then in the next instance here they are eating all the carbs they can get.
    If it was all about aerobic capacity then why do they need carbs? aerobic exercise is fat burning...
    Since I have started lifting I have:
    -Not had a single sports injury/strain (besides breaking bones).
    -Not been sick once. In two ****ing years.
    -Recover virtually overnight.
    -Done multiple PBs in endurance sports.
    -Can now sprint like a Mofo.
    -Understand what I am putting into my body and why its good/bad.
    -Have a lower bf%.
    -Have a higher libido.
    -Beaten my depression and suicidal thoughts.
    end.rant\

Weekend activities
    4hour ride on saturday. Kept heart rate under 145bpm. Average moving speed was 30kph - seems I'm back on track?
    Run on sunday. Again feeling rather good running. When I first started back I felt heavy and lumbering. My pace isn't amazing - I am no where near running a 40minute 10K. But I don't need to be.
    Current weight - 78kg, 18%bf.
    Have noted something rather strange-
    Even though I have given up lifting till after my 70.3, My calf muscles have increased in size to 38cm (yes I know they are scrawny).
    The best I saw while lifting solidly was 37cm.
    Not sure if its the running, riding, supplements or a combination of all.

3x10min intervals this morning on the bike.
    Straight out of the box I am faster than I was last week (2km/H). Maybe the air was a bit warmer this morning...
    Moving into some focused sweet spot training now - race pace or just above. Intervals will get longer.

Run afterwards. feeling more comfortable doing this.

Speed session running last night. Whilst it is good training I am loosing my top end, not that that is important in such a long race.

Another succesful weekends training.
    4 hour ride on saturday - I travel further in than my last long ride and did so with a considerably lower average heart rate.
    On sunday I mixed it up a little and got out on my mountain bike for another 2 hour ride.
    Did a 1 hour swim session on friday night- feeling not to bad in the water.
    Long run tonight.
    Then back into some sweet spot training tomorrow.
    This weekend I am heading to the venue of my race for a recon mission. Will swim the course so there is no surprises on race day.
    will also do a long ride up there and run a lap of the run course.

Another quality session this morning
    2 x15min efforts (1hr total cycling)
    30 min run off the bike. the first 5 minutes are painful as my legs are dead. the next 10 minutes are uncomfortable but then slowly my running legs come to me and its not too bad.
    Speed run session tonight.
    Long run tomorrow and then another sweet spot session on thursday.

Next week is my final week of training proper. The following week is all about recovery and practical preparation - sort through equipment and nutrition for the day, bike pulled apart, serviced and painted, new laces on the shoes etc.

Checked out the forecast for the race weekend max of 24 deg celsius so that is good. Wind gusts of up to 40kph not so good! It is in a southerly direction and the course is an 2 lap out and back so I will have the wind on my back for half the time and probably the most critical time which is on the way back to transition - that will give my legs a break before I have to run.
    Last edited by TriLifting; 08-25-2015 at 06:38 PM.

Long run last night - tried out my new shoes and got some hot spots on my feet which is pretty standard so it wasn't my best dig.
    This morning was some more sweet spot training that got cut short halfway through as the LH crank on my bike fell off.
    Conditions were a bit funny this morning I think. Also a little bit tired? first effort I was at the top end of my HR zone for the sweet spot and was barely managing 33km/h. Normally I am 35-36km. was cooler this morning than it has been for a few weeks. I also didn't get home from my run last night till 10pm. Probably not in bed till 10.45.

Dedicated training weekend is here.
    I have tomorrow of work so that is a day I am not on my feet so much. Will try and get a run in tomorrow as well.
    Thought I could ride the course this weekend but that is not possible. Most of it is on a freeway.
    Will still do a simulated triathlon though using both the swim and run course.
    I have some new tyres coming to fit to me new wheels.
    I absolutely have to test them out next week during training. If they tyres get here too late and I can't test them then I will not race on them. Race day is not the time to try out something new.
    Been thinking a lot about my training structure and use of time.
    For my next block of training I think it will be very different and hopefully better use of my time.

Side note: As I have pointed out it has been a little while since I have done any lifting.
    A few years ago I was racing gokarts and had a crash which tore the cartilage in my ribs. This has been an injury which has since come back a few times. It has started hurting on and off this week again, I believe mostly as this is the one place I am definitely loosing muscle. I will probably add some targeted lifting to protect myself here.
    A quick measure this morning shows my quads at 61cm and my calves at 38. So I am not loosing there. Which I find interesting seeing as in 2013 they were 54cm

After this race I will start to log all my measurements.
    I will also start a food log as well.
    Not now though it may get to depressing :-)
    Last edited by TriLifting; 08-26-2015 at 08:36 PM.

Well its been a full week since I last came here. Thats also how long I have been sick for.
    I got through my training weekend and then it hit me like a tonne of bricks. Unfortunately when thats what happens when training for endurance - it ****s your immune system. While I am back to feeling better I am still coughing and bringing up heaps of junk from my lungs. With the race on this sunday, my current plan is to do anything that will give my lungs the best chance of recovery till then.
    Its a big kick in the guts to my motivation

Just to add salt to my wounds - up all night with food poisoning. grrr.

So in the end that was a disaster.
    I was coughing all saturday. Sunday morning I felt ok health wise but had a lot of self doubt. 20 minutes into the swim I got cold and was coughing uncontrollably. In the end the surf rescue guys had to pull me out of the water and I DNFed.

I'm feeling pretty bitter at the moment about it. I am trying to regather my momentum and get back to training - its been 2 and a half weeks since I have trained now. I have lost a lot of weight - now 76kgs

Its 9 weeks till the Kingscliff olympic distance.
    My previous best time over this distance is 2hours 36minutes.
    My first target would be to go under 2hours 30mins.
    My goal target would be 2hours 20 though
    as per follows
    I am capable of a 28 minute swim at this event. the swim is in very calm water.
    I know I can haul out a 1hour 6minute 40k time trial.
    And I know I have done in the past a 46minute 10k in a tri.
    I have a good base fitness, providing I recover soon.
    I need to get my motivation back to where it was.
    I need to regain some of the body mass I have lost to remain healthy.

I also believe I can better all the times I have listed above.

No doubting the wheels fell off the cart. Going straight back to long course triathlon after a 2 year hiatus was a bad idea. Haven't been doing specific training since last year. Just when I feel like what I feel like. Lots of mountain biking and just taken up BMX racing again.
    Plan for spring/summer is as follows
    - Gaterade tri series mostly sprint distances.
    - Kingscliff triathlon olympic distance.
    - Follow a much more structured training plan!
    - Build base for solo 24hr mountain bike race next year and then another 70.3

-