Rydain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy Rowing machine butt problems

I love this piece of equipment, but how can I prevent it from wearing skin off of my butt every time I use it for HIIT? If I row at a moderate pace, I'm fine, but when I speed up, my butt inevitably comes up a bit and shifts around. At best, I get a little worn spot that goes away within a day or so. At worst, I start falling off the seat, screw up my workout, and wind up with a pretty nasty "seat burn" that takes its time healing. There is another ergometer with a seat that looks more comfy, but its display is dead, so I haven't tried it yet.

Is my form not quite right? I'd guess that that could be why I'm coming up off the seat.

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    sounds like form, i have the same problem wehn i get pace up i fall off, but it something to do with puching the legs real hard...

erowana has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Don't row naked.

kakaboro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i used to be on a rowing team a little bit ago and the solution is pretty simple; don't pound the legs down really hard right away, accelerate somewhat slowly and then midway through the drive you should be in a good position to apply max power. If you try to sprint/gofast by just hanking on it and slamming your knees down then your butt is gonna fly up a bit, i mean dont get me wrong,when your butt goes up it means you're pulling hard but its not as efficient as accelerating slowly a first and then applying max power.

also what rate are you going at?

also try checking out some rowing forums for some serious problem resolutions: try www.concept2.com and click on technique for proper technique, then go to: http://www.concept2.com/forums/ranking_forum_frames.htm to check out the forum, ask questions about erging and read what others have to say
    Last edited by kakaboro; 09-12-2003 at 02:52 PM.

Bardock has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by erowana
    Don't row naked.
    hahahahahaha
    Train for strength and size, not ego.

Rydain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah, I've been pushing off as fast as possible during the work intervals. No wonder my butt is going all over the place. Next time, I'll work on delaying the power burst and refrain from going balls to the wall until I get the technique down. I don't know what my rate is because I like to use wattage as a measure of intensity, but I get up to ~280 watts or so during work intervals. Thanks for the advice.

(By the way, I keep my pants on...if I really did row naked, I think I would have split my ass in two by now. )