Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Gett01 is just really nice. (+1000) Gett01 is just really nice. (+1000) Gett01 is just really nice. (+1000) Gett01 is just really nice. (+1000) Gett01 is just really nice. (+1000) Gett01 is just really nice. (+1000) Gett01 is just really nice. (+1000) Gett01 is just really nice. (+1000) Gett01 is just really nice. (+1000) Gett01 is just really nice. (+1000) Gett01 is just really nice. (+1000)

Persistence: Never Give Up

Welcome to my Powerlifting Log!

Since I've just recently hit a significant milestone in my lifting career (my first Powerlifting Meet), I've decided it's a good time to start a new log. If you weren't following me on my last log, my name is Robert, and I'm a Junior and a Health Science major in college, aspiring to go to grad school and become a DPT (Doctor of Physical Therapy). And now I can officially say that I compete in powerlifting, which feels kind of strange. After roughly a year and a half of powerlifting-focused training, I decided to enter my first meet with a couple of friends of mine from college. The video is below (I'm first in the video).

Going into this meet I felt excited, but honestly I was also very nervous. But I ended up having an AWESOME time, and seeing some dedicated lifters crush some huge weights was really inspiring, especially when we witnessed one lifter break a deadlift world record. It was also a truly humbling experience, because during the past few months as I've gotten stronger I've been feeling more and more confident in my school's weightroom, but the meet opened my eyes to just how inexperienced I actually am, and just how incredibly strong some people are. But most of all I realized that this is something I want to get really good at. This is something I love to do, and I'm going to continue to put my heart and soul into this sport. About the title: once I was asked to describe myself in one word, and I knew immediately that it was persistence. I've been called over-competitive and obsessed, but deep down I just never give up. When I commit to something, I put everything I have into it, and that's just what I'm doing here.

Obviously my numbers for my weight class aren't exactly impressive, but I'm disappointed about the bench because I've hit 205 in training before, and as you can see 375 moved very fast on the deadlift, looks like I was holding back a bit, and my true max is probably closer to 385-390. My friends and I are planning on doing this same meet again next year, so my goal is to come back and total 1000+ next year. I've also decided that my goals for the meet next year will be 385/240/450. I can probably improve by even more than that, but I'm trying to be realistic.

As for my training: for the past 6-7 months I've been running the Texas Method, and I've seen great results, so I'll continue to do that for as long as it lasts. I also use the RPE scale, which has been very useful so far.

That's it for now, I'll be updating pretty frequently, usually every 1-2 days. My TM schedule is Mo/We/Fri, but I also update on my off days and if I do cardio or any additional type of training. I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing everyone that followed me on my last log, as well as some new faces, and I appreciate any input/advice anyone has for me.
    My Training Log:

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=174962261&p=1524584281#post1524584281

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

i like marshmallow DJaRiHardstyle's Avatar
    DJaRiHardstyle is just really nice. (+1000) DJaRiHardstyle is just really nice. (+1000) DJaRiHardstyle is just really nice. (+1000) DJaRiHardstyle is just really nice. (+1000) DJaRiHardstyle is just really nice. (+1000) DJaRiHardstyle is just really nice. (+1000) DJaRiHardstyle is just really nice. (+1000) DJaRiHardstyle is just really nice. (+1000) DJaRiHardstyle is just really nice. (+1000) DJaRiHardstyle is just really nice. (+1000) DJaRiHardstyle is just really nice. (+1000)
    You're extremely dedicated and, like you said, persistent, no doubt. I picked that up right away.... you and I both have that same obsessive quality, which for me can sometimes be disastrous, but that allows us to put absolutely everything into what we're passionate about. It's going to be a long journey, but I'm excited to see just how damn strong we can get.

In closing, I'm in....
    My website:
    NoFluffStrength.com
    Never sensational. Always real.

Currently just coming off of a show; follow my offseason log:
    Mindfulness, Mastery, and Muscle - DJaRiHardstyle's Offseason Mission
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172199513&pagenumber=

Gett01 is just really nice. (+1000) Gett01 is just really nice. (+1000) Gett01 is just really nice. (+1000) Gett01 is just really nice. (+1000) Gett01 is just really nice. (+1000) Gett01 is just really nice. (+1000) Gett01 is just really nice. (+1000) Gett01 is just really nice. (+1000) Gett01 is just really nice. (+1000) Gett01 is just really nice. (+1000) Gett01 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by DJaRiHardstyle View Post
    You're extremely dedicated and, like you said, persistent, no doubt. I picked that up right away.... you and I both have that same obsessive quality, which for me can sometimes be disastrous, but that allows us to put absolutely everything into what we're passionate about. It's going to be a long journey, but I'm excited to see just how damn strong we can get.

In closing, I'm in....
    Good to have you in here once again, and yeah, there's just this crazy drive to pour everything into it. I'm feeling excited too, I'm pumped to get back to the weightroom and pump some more iron.
    My Training Log:

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=174962261&p=1524584281#post1524584281

Texas Method Week 28 Day 1 (Recovery Day)

2/25/15- Recovery Day

Workout Rating: 7/10

Squat: (lighter for deload/recovery)
    45x5
    95x5
    135x3
    *Add belt*
    165x2
    (205x5)x2

Incline Bench Press:
    45x10
    85x5
    105x3
    120x2
    135x5 @6
    (135x5)x2 @6.5 <-- this was extremely easy, was expecting it to be at least a bit harder

Power Clean: (lighter for deload/recovery)
    45x5
    65x5
    95x3
    115x2
    (135x3)x3 <-- very easy, just focusing on fast, clean reps

Wide Grip Pulldown: (false grip)
    97.5x12
    90x12
    90x10

BB Upright Row:
    45x8
    (65x12)x3

Facepull:
    50x15
    (70x15)x2

Terminal Knee Extension: (Single Leg)
    30x10
    45x10
    65x10

Ab Rollout:
    (BWx5)x2 <-- this was really tough

Solid workout today, everything was smooth and easy. I was actually planning on the incline bench to be moderately challenging though, with just a bit of a backoff because I'm just returning to training. But 135 turned out to be extremely easy, I definitely need to add 10lbs next week. And about that, from now on I'll be replacing OHP with incline bench on Wednesdays, because it's more bench specific. For me, I've found that other lifts help to build up my OHP, but my OHP doesn't really seem to feed into my other lifts very well. I won't be cutting it out entirely, but instead doing it for some light work after my heavy intensity day lifts. As you can see I also threw in some other shoulder assistance to bring up my shoulders and keep them healthy. Might switch to DB upright rows though, cause with the BB it was hard to keep my shoulders even, most likely because my left shoulder is a little higher than my right.

I also widened my squat stance, because after watching the video of the meet it's pretty obvious that I'm going unnecessarily low. I think preferring the narrower stance is totally psychological, because the reps feel smoother and I can get lower, but I'm questioning if I'm actually stronger that way. And with the wider stance it felt much faster coming out of the hole, so that would be awesome if I can hit a PR just from widening my stance and cutting down the depth a bit. I still plan on going reasonably low, but there's no reason for me to go practically ATG.

Last thing: I'm going to make a big effort to track my weight more consistently, and it's time to start cutting some weight. But I don't want to lose strength, in fact I want the PRs to keep coming, so it's going to be a very slow cut, like I'd be satisfied to lose just 5lbs by the end of this semester. My goals are really just to stay comfortably in this weight class, and move down to 198 if I can, but no matter what I need to keep getting stronger. I'm drowning in homework so that's all I have time for right now, gotta go!
    Last edited by Gett01; 02-27-2015 at 07:39 PM.
    My Training Log:

2/27/15- A Very Disappointing Intensity Day; Plans to Reset Weights

Morning Bodyweight: 211 lbs
    Workout Rating: 2/10

Squat:
    45x5
    115x5
    *Add Belt*
    170x3
    235x2
    275x5 @9.5 <-- Wayyy heavier than it should have been

Bench Press: (2 count pause)
    45x8
    95x5
    125x3
    155x2
    175x3 @8-8.5 <--Stopped at 3 cause I knew the next couple reps were gonna be slow, not sure if I could've gotten all 5

Sumo Deadlift: (All sets belted)
    135x5
    185x3
    225x2
    275x1
    315x1 @5-6 <-- After squat and bench going poorly, I decided to tone it down on deadlifts, and just go for an easyish single

BB Row:
    45x10
    95x5
    115x5
    135x2
    155x3 <-- Stopped cause these just felt heavy and awkward, seemed to be a theme for today's workout

So I got the idea for this new format from Ari. Don't mean to steal ideas or anything so it won't be exactly the same, but this is much better...also counting the weeks on TM and all that is getting old and obnoxious, when I started and all that is logged anyway. Also gonna start doing an overall workout rating, cause I feel like it could be useful, and would be good for a quick reference when looking back so I know how it felt/went. Weighed 211 this morning, so I'm pretty happy about that. I'd really like to end this semester at 205ish, with maybe 20+ lbs on my squat and deadlift, and 10+ lbs on my bench. There's about 2 months left this semester, so I think that's doable.

So this workout was pretty disappointing...everything just felt heavy, and I stopped early on bench and just did an easy deadlift single instead of trying a heavier set of 5. Squats were really tough, at first I though I was just psyching myself out but then I had to grind out the last rep. I also tried widening my stance and just going to a little below parallel, and it felt alright, but I think I still prefer the narrower stance. My reasoning is there's just no reason for me to use such a narrow stance and go down so low, it's just unnecessary and I might be able to lift more weight. At the same time, narrower and lower just feels smoother and better in general, so we'll see. Maybe I'll go wider but not as wide as today. I also tweaked something in my right groin/hamstring area, and it got so tight that I couldn't squat to depth for like an hour, which freaked me out. Still was able to deadlift though, and it seems to be ok now. Tried to throw in some rows but honestly I just wasn't into it and they felt awkward, so I gave it up and called it a day. Needless to say the RPEs were wayyy to high to start this cycle with, so next week I'll be doing a complete reset on everything and start from scratch. Obviously the meet took more out of me than I thought, cause I just wasn't recovered today. It's disappointing, but oh well, as long as I recover enough over the weekend it shouldn't really be a setback.

So other than that, I've got 2 exams and a big lab practical coming up early next week, so I'll be drowning in work this weekend. So far so good as far as my classes though, other than the not-so-great A&P exam and some crummy chem quizes my grades have all been solid, so I'm satisfied (just stressed). Tomorrow should be a lot of fun though, because the PLing team is having a practice tomorrow, so I'll be working with ppl on deadlifts (I'm sure there's a lot of work to be done). Got a new member too and someone else that might be interested, so things seem to be going well with the team so far. And after that I'll be playing some basketball with friends. I really need to prepare for the GRE too (standardized test I need to take for PT school) and get some letters of rec and whatnot, and time is running out. It's just so hard to do that kind of stuff with the insane workload I've had recently, it's like there just isn't enough time in the day. But whatever, somehow I'll manage it.

Also, last thoughts about my training: I've taken a step back and looked at the big picture as far as my programming goes, and I'm really not maintaining the integrity of "recovery day." I'm trying to throw in all this assistance work and incline benching and whatnot, and that's just not the point of the workout. So I'm just going to do lighter OHP, and go light on everything else, and then limit the assistance work to only what I need to do. And speaking of which, part of the reason today didn't go so well could be because of that, because my abs and shoulders felt sore today too. That's pretty much it, I gotta get on my calc hw.
    My Training Log:

ExEctomorph has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ExEctomorph has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ExEctomorph has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ExEctomorph has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ExEctomorph has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ExEctomorph has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ExEctomorph has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ExEctomorph has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ExEctomorph has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ExEctomorph has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ExEctomorph has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    In on the new thread and congrats on your first meet!
    Conjugate Method Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167495971

My Blog: https://thepowerliftingjourney.wordpress.com/

Originally Posted by ExEctomorph View Post
    In on the new thread and congrats on your first meet!
    Great to have you back, and thanks! I had a great time, it was really cool experience, something I definitely want to keep doing and getting better at.
    My Training Log:

2/28/15-3/1/15:
    Powerlifting Team Practice, Basketball, and Drowning in HW

Ok, so this weekend was reasonably eventful. Saturday was pretty fun, I started the day off with the Powerlifting Team practice in the afternoon, which was both fun and frustrating. The focus was on deadlifts, so essentially we held a deadlift clinic to make sure everyone who showed up was using proper form. Right off the bat a few ppl had great form and I really only had a couple tweaks to make, but with other ppl...not so much. But the frustration came from the fact that most people just want to throw on weight and get instant gratification, and "warm-up" first, which was totally missing the point, because you need to practice form with light weights first, and then take it slow and add weight from there. Especially the one kid in particular, he's a nice guy and very optimistic, but much too impatient, and before I knew it he was grinding out set after set with a heavy weight and expecting his form to magically get better, and soon he was exhausted and refused to lift anything less, so there was basically no way to fix his form at that point. Still, all things considered he and everyone else made progress to the point where they have at least acceptable form.

Basketball was after that, and after having taken a couple weeks off from any serious cardio it took a lot more out of me than I thought, but I had a good time. And any extra time I had on Saturday and all day Sunday was spent doing my homework and studying for my Chem test (which I just took this morning, I feel like it went pretty well). So now I have a little bit of a chance to catch my breath and tonight just lift some weights, although I have my lab practical and a Calc exam on Wednesday, so I'm not in the clear yet. have to say though, I'm pretty happy with my class performance this semester, everything has been going pretty smoothly.

Also didn't bother to take my morning bodyweight over the weekend cause it fluctuates so much from basketball/sweating/rehydrating, so I'll just be taking my morning bodyweight during the weekdays (spoiler alert: today's was exactly 211 lbs again).
    My Training Log:

Texas Method W29D1

3/2/15: Volume Day and Exams

Morning Bodyweight: 211 lbs
    Workout Rating: 9/10

Squat:
    45x8
    95x5
    140x3
    *Add belt*
    185x2
    235x5 @7.5
    235x5 @7.5
    235x5 @8
    235x5 @8
    235x5 @8.5

Bench Press: (3 Count Pause)
    45x5
    75x5
    105x3
    135x2
    155x5 @7.5
    155x5 @8
    155x5 @8-8.5
    155x5 @8.5
    155x5 @9
    *Add Slingshot*
    155x8 @9

Power Clean:
    45x5
    75x5
    100x3
    120x2
    (145x3)x5

RDL:
    135x5
    185x2
    225x5 @8
    225x5 @8
    225x5 @9 <--grip was failing

Good workout yesterday, everything went smoothly. Squats felt pretty easy, only thing was it was just hard to stay motivated to get through all the sets; it's been 3 weeks since my last real volume day. Bench went well too, although the RPE started getting a bit high towards the end, but I think that's from not waiting long enough in between sets, so next time I'll make sure I've rested enough. Power cleans were solid and form was decent for the most part, but I need to work on hitting the "sweet spot" when I extend after the second pull. They were all generally fast, but there were about 2 or 3 reps where the weight just flew up because I put the bar in just the right place. It's such a technique-dependent lift and it's all about placing the bar just right to transfer the most amount of force into it. It make me think that I can Power Clean much more weight than I have been, but I need to hit that spot every time first, so I'll be working on that, because I want to get the most I can out of these. I think part of getting it just right is also waiting on the second pull a bit longer, because I noticed on the super fast reps I waited until the bar was farther up my thigh to speed up and initiate the second pull. RLDs also went well, but I'll be sticking to sets of 5 for now, and either slowly add reps, or else go up in small weight jumps (like only 2.5 lbs). I can't add weight too quickly because my grip is the limiting factor on these, but at the same time higher volume is at my own peril, because last time I did sets in the 8-10 range it destroyed me.

Also, been working on fixing the unevenness in my squat. I noticed part of the reason is the bar isn't set perfectly even on my back, which I do without even realizing it because my scoliosis already makes me uneven. And then I also realized when I come up from a squat I tend to come up so hard to lock out that the weight actually shifts a little bit on my back, so when I tried to pull the bar into my back more and lock out less aggressively it seemed to help. About my programming: my squat 5x5 PR is 260, but I'm starting so low basically because my body has become "de-sensitized" to volume after having not done anything but sets of 1-3 for the past 3 weeks. This is a good thing, because while my max has stayed relatively constant (not counting last week because I wasn't totally recovered from the meet) my work capacity has decreased so that it takes less of a volume stimulus to make a difference, which will make it easier for me to progress on intensity day. Same thing going on for bench and power cleans, although I started volume day a bit higher than with my squat (no reason why, I just did without realizing it).

As for everything else, it's going pretty well. Classes are really picking up, because I just had that Chem exam yesterday, and now I have my A&P lab practical and my calc exam tomorrow, and for both of those classes I have some assignments I have to complete before I even get to just start actually studying for the exams. Sooo I have no clue how I'm going to manage all that today with the limited time I have, but w/e, I'll just have to do my best and whatever happens happens.
    My Training Log:

wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Congrats on your first meet!!

Mirin those squats and pulls
    ᕙ(͡°‿ ͡°)

Originally Posted by wishiwasdivin View Post
    Congrats on your first meet!!

Mirin those squats and pulls
    Thanks! I had an awesome time, it was a lot of fun. I can't wait to get stronger and do it again!
    My Training Log:

wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wishiwasdivin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Gett01 View Post
    Thanks! I had an awesome time, it was a lot of fun. I can't wait to get stronger and do it again!
    Nothing like moving big weight
    ᕙ(͡°‿ ͡°)

GZeolla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GZeolla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GZeolla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GZeolla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GZeolla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GZeolla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GZeolla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GZeolla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GZeolla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GZeolla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GZeolla is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Subbed.
    Zeolla.org
    Personal website of Gary F. Zeolla
    All-time open raw top 15 ranked powerlifter
    All-time masters raw record breaking powerlifter
    Author of Christian and of fitness books, websites, and newsletters
    http://www.zeolla.org/

My training log: GZeolla’s Two by Two Powerlifting Training Plan
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165355561

“the Lord stood by me and gave me strength” (2Tim 4:17).

Doing a cyber drive-by.

Hope your Wednesday is going as you want.
    ᕙ(͡°‿ ͡°)

Originally Posted by GZeolla View Post
    Subbed.
    Welcome!
    My Training Log:

Doing a cyber drive-by.

Hope your Wednesday is going as you want.
    Thanks! It was a pretty rough day, but I made it through. Better days are coming now that I'm past the exams!
    My Training Log:

Texas Method W29D2

3/4/15-3/5/15: Recovery Day and Surviving Exams

Workout Rating: 8/10

Squat: (lighter for recovery)
    45x5
    95x5
    115x3
    145x2
    (185x5)x2 @4-5

OHP:
    45x5
    65x5
    85x3
    105x2
    125x2 @8.5 PR
    95x5 @7.5
    95x5 @7.5
    95x5 @8

Power Snatch: (lighter for recovery)
    45x3
    65x2
    75x1
    (85x2)x2 <-- stopped after 2 sets cause it felt kind of awkward
    65x2 <-- just to practices form

Sooo this was a really rough couple of days. Started my Wednesday off with a terrible bloody nose out of nowhere, swiftly followed by a really bad grade on my last chemistry exam...very disappointing, bit I still got a high B on the first exam, so not all is lost, I just have to stay positive. Then I had my A&P exam in the afternoon, and my Calc exam at night before I went to the gym. By the time I got to the gym I was very tired and extremely pissed off at everything and the frustrating day, which is probably the only reason I got through the session. Also got an easy OHP PR (I think), which I think is due to moving my grip in a little bit. I've always used a narrower grip, but I felt like the weight was moving much faster by moving in even an inch further. And yesterday (Thursday) was more laid back, pretty boring day just spent doing hw. Will update for today's workout soon, I was just so busy that I got behind and this is kinda late.
    My Training Log:

A rough couple days but finished it with a nice OHP PR.

Enjoy your weekend
    ᕙ(͡°‿ ͡°)

GZeolla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GZeolla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GZeolla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GZeolla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GZeolla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GZeolla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GZeolla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GZeolla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GZeolla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GZeolla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GZeolla is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    My dad gets bloody noses for no reason, so you're not alone there. But it must be frustrating. I'm glad I don't have to take test anymore. Too much stress.
    Zeolla.org

A rough couple days but finished it with a nice OHP PR.

Enjoy your weekend
    Thanks man, I appreciate it. It was tough, but exactly, felt good to hit a PR and just be done. Enjoy yours too!
    My Training Log:

My dad gets bloody noses for no reason, so you're not alone there. But it must be frustrating. I'm glad I don't have to take test anymore. Too much stress.
    Yeah, it's not the first time either, this is probably the third or fourth I can remember. One particularly bad bloody nose experience was when I was driving I got one, that was not fun at all. And the tests are certainly stressful, and it's all the more so when the classes are just really hard. But I supposed that's what preparing for the healthcare professions is all about. But the way I see it, if I've worked hard and given it my best effort, no matter what grade I receive I can say that I have no regrets, so I'm trying to just keep my chin up and press forward.
    My Training Log:

Texas Method W29D3

3/6/15-3/7/15: Intensity Day, Good Lab Grade, Weight Loss, and Spring Break!!!

Morning Bodyweight: 209.4 lbs

Workout Rating: 9/10

Squat:
    45x5
    95x5
    *Add Belt*
    155x3
    205x2
    260x5 @8
    135x5 <-- Just a lighter set to work my form, trying to keep lats tighter

Bench Press: (2 count pause)
    45x5
    85x5
    115x3
    145x2
    167.5x5 @8.5
    *Add Slingshot, switch to TnG*
    175x2
    185x6 @8.5-9 <-- PR

Sumo Deadlift: (all w/belt)
    (135x5)x2
    185x3
    265x2
    315x5 @8

Cable Row: (first 2 sets with false grip)
    70x5
    117.5x15
    150x12
    150x10
    130x12

Facepulls:
    (70x15)x2
    70x20

BB Curl:
    (60x8)x2

Terminal Knee Extension: (Single-leg, on leg extension machine)
    (45x10)x3

Solid workout, now this is how it's supposed to go with reset weights. Squats and deadlifts were pretty smooth, only on the last reps of each did it slow down a bit. Benching was a bit tougher, but then again I went with a less aggressive reset (no reason, just didn't think enough about the percentages). So looking forward to next week, I'll be adding 10 lbs to my squat and deadlift (up to 270 and 325), and 5 lbs to my bench (up to 172.5 lbs). I haven't made up my mind about the volume day weights though, I can either just add 5lbs to them, or I can add 10lbs as well. I want to get away with as little volume as I need to progress, but at the same time if I don't add enough weight then it will be too little to progress on Friday. But we'll see.

In other news, I lost weight! I have no clue how I dropped from 211 to 209.4 over this past week, especially because I basically threw my diet out the window and just focused on my exams, but I'll take it. I'll actually be increasing my intake a bit just to make sure I don't lose weight too quickly, because that'll burn me out very fast. It's so strange too, because my protein has actually been higher than normal this past week, so I guess my carbs and/or fat were pretty low (again, I was really just keeping tabs on protein).

I haven't found out my Calc exam grade yet, and probably won't for a little while, but I got an 83 on my A&P lab practical, so considering I really didn't even study for it because of everything else that was going on, I'm satisfied with that and it should help me out. Today was extremely boring and I feel exhausted now, I was basically just in the car all day driving home for spring break. First I went from school with my girlfriend to her house, and then my dad picked me up from there. I have some work I need to catch up on and an exam looming when I get back to school, but for the moment I'm just going to relax this weekend and enjoy the fact that I have a week off of school. I'll still be lifting though, I just need to work out a way that I can go to my gym in town for a week.

Last thing: I've been brainstorming how I can improve my lifts this training cycle, and for my bench I've noticed that although the paused reps are great, my stamina runs out much faster because of the increased time under tension over a set of 5, and it increases the RPE by a lot and I tend to stall much faster. No matter what I'll continue to do paused reps on Intensity day, but for the purpose for volume day it might be best to shorten the pauses, or take them away to avoid stalling. I'd do this gradually, by first just continuing to go as much as I can with paused reps, but once I stall I would switch to something like a 1 count pause to avoid resetting. And lately I've been adding 2.5 lbs to my bench every week, but I've been tossing around the idea of doing that for every lift, because it would keep progress going for much longer. 2.5 lb PRs and 10 lbs a month instead of 20 wouldn't be as fun, but I think it would be much more motivational and much better in the long term to just keep progress coming for a longer period of time. We'll see.
    My Training Log:

Grats with PR

GJ on those squats and pulls.
    ᕙ(͡°‿ ͡°)

Stopping in my man, hope your weekend was a good one?
    ᕙ(͡°‿ ͡°)

Stopping in my man, hope your weekend was a good one?
    Thanks for the encouragement! The PR felt good, although it might have just been because I've never tried repping out 185 with the slingshot. The excitement is building the closer I get to my PRs though, I can't wait to get back into going up every week (I'm still building back up after the meet).

My weekend was awesome! Got back home, went to a hockey game, and caught up on some much needed sleep.
    My Training Log:

Texas Method W30D1

3/7/15-3/9/15: Volume Day, Getting Home, Hockey Game, and Visiting PT Place

Workout Rating: 10/10

Squat:
    45x5
    95x5
    145x3
    *Add Belt*
    195x2
    245x5 @7.5
    245x5 @8
    245x5 @8
    245x5 @8.5 <-- misgrooved slightly, made the set a little tougher
    245x5 @8

Bench Press: (3 count pause)
    45x5
    85x5
    115x3
    140x2
    160x5 @8
    160x5 @8.5
    160x5 @8.5
    160x5 @8.5
    160x5 @9

Close Grip Bench Press: (Controlled TnG)
    115x2
    135x8 @8.5
    135x7 @9

RDL:
    135x5
    185x3
    230x5 @9.5 <-- grip was failing, knurling on bars wasn't very good
    230x5 @8.5 <-- Right hand supinated
    230x5 @8.5 <-- Left hand supinated

BB Row: (from floor)
    95x5
    115x3
    (135x5)x5 @7

EZ Bar Curl:
    (45x15)x3

Really great workout today, everything went exactly as planned and felt easy, save for my grip on the RDLs. Decided to switch out the slingshot bench for close grip today. I've decided to just leave the slingshot for overloading my bench on intensity day, and I'll be doing some sets of close grip on volume day instead. Kept it to 2 sets because the goal is to gradually accumulate volume, but in the coming weeks I may add a set or two depending on how it feels and how the RPEs turn out. Also dropped the power cleans on volume day, because looking back, my best progress has come from RDLs on volume day and cleans on recovery day. I don't want to come into intensity feeling tired or with sore traps, so I'll keep the power cleans to 3-5 heavy singles instead, which I've found are actually pretty easy to recovery from, since the effect is essentially the same as that of speed deadlifts. The rows and curls were nice, I'll be keeping these in. I also got some awesome chest, tricep, back, and bicep pumps, which made me feel good if anything haha.

Had a nice weekend, most of Saturday was spent traveling home, but I had a nice lunch with my gf and her family, and a relaxing night when I got home. Yesterday was good too, I went to a Devils hockey game with my dad and it was awesome, they were playing the flyers, which is always a good game cause they're bitter rivals. The fans were rowdy and pumped up, and we were up close (third row behind the one goal), and it was intense, and a great atmosphere for a great game (the Devils won 5-2, but it was a hard, competitive, physical game the entire time, neither team gave the other anything).

Then I started today with a visit to the PT place where I did to catch up on everyone, and I also asked the one PT who I worked with for a letter for recommendation, and she said she'd write one for me, so I gotta set that up over email. I'm really happy about that, because I need 2 letters of rec to apply to PT school (which I'll be doing this coming summer). Then of course I hit the gym. Tonight I'll be getting some of my work done, and then relaxing and catching up on some shows to cap off a good and productive day. Also, I've been trying to keep a more positive attitude lately, because I've been inspired by Ari's new positive outlook. That's it until next time!
    My Training Log:

Good job on the exams. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one to increase by just 2.5 pounds on benches. With my weak bench, 5 pounds is just too much at times. And yes, a 2.5 pound PR is still a PR. You can break a world record by as little as 1.1 pounds (0.5 kg), so why not a PR?
    Zeolla.org

Good job on the exams. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one to increase by just 2.5 pounds on benches. With my weak bench, 5 pounds is just too much at times. And yes, a 2.5 pound PR is still a PR. You can break a world record by as little as 1.1 pounds (0.5 kg), so why not a PR?
    I totally agree, GJ man. Digging the 3 count pause work
    ᕙ(͡°‿ ͡°)

Haha I get that, yeah bench is definitely my worst lift (proportionate to the others). It seems as if I'm best at squats, then deadlifts, then benching. But the 2.5 plates have been a lifesaver, especially to my OHP and more recently they have been making a big difference for my bench, it's just so much easier to move up in weight.
    My Training Log:

I totally agree, GJ man. Digging the 3 count pause work
    Thanks! Yeah the 3 count pause benches have really helped me control the bar and improve my form. I've decided that I'm gradually going to transition to shorter pauses and maybe even TnG as I progress though, because last training cycle the 3 count pause benches stalled out pretty quickly. With so much time under tension and high volume, it slows down fast and gets hard very quickly.
    My Training Log: