Msistine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Msistine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Msistine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Msistine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Msistine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Msistine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Msistine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Msistine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Msistine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Msistine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Msistine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Oorja Bars: All Natural Protein Bars

Recently had the opportunity to try Oorja bars.

These are quite a different type of bar. Somewhere in between a pure protein and a natural bar - hits a nice sweet spot of having natural ingredients, but not a lot of sugars and sweets in carb heavy bars sweetened with natural (but still sugar laden) syrup/etc.

Nutrition/Ingredients:

Solid 17 grams of high bio-available whey protein isolate in each 55g bar. Not cheaper soy or inflated claims of protein content - you are getting 17g from a high quality source (huge points here). Low net carbs means these bars are easy to include without worrying about macros. Not loaded with too much syrup or sugars that would defeat the purpose of a "healthy" bar.

Immediately the profile jumps out - straightforward list of 6 ingredients: Whey Protein Isolate (No artificial hormones), Organic Almond Butter, Organic Walnuts, Chicory Root Fiber, Organic Clover Honey, Cinnamon. Nothing artificial and Oorja is proud of it:

Taste:

This will likely be subjective. I found the taste to be very good, with the flavor dominated by almond butter, cinnamon, and walnuts. The crunchy bits of walnuts are really nice to break up the chewy texture - which is soft/no microwave needed. You'll notice the bars are naturally moist - packaging is a thicker foil to help retain this. Here is a comparison with Quest Apple Pie - picture of Oorja bars on the right (notice the large chunks of walnuts):

If you're coming from musclepharm/fit crunch/etc. these will take some adjustment. Don't expect a blast of artificial cookie dough or a candy bar type flavor - these bars taste healthy - which I think is a good thing.

Value/Cost:

$35.88 for 12 of the larger (55g) bars - $2.99 per bar (also have a smaller 45g in stock). Fairly competitive with other bars at this price point, especially considering the ingredients. No GMOs, artificial sweeteners, or chemicals to worry about. More expensive - when bought by the box about $0.90 more each than RawFusion or Quest bars, $0.80 more each than Fit Crunch, and about $0.50 more each than Combat Bars.

Weighed the bars and found these to weight 56 g (1 g more than advertised) vs 58 g for quest (2 g under advertised). Also for what it's worth, I was fuller/more satiated than after eating some of the other bars. Not sure if this is from the chicory root fiber, healthy fats, or both - but it helps in the value department.

Cons:

Cost - always a factor and slightly more expensive than other bars in bulk. Understandable given the quality - everything in this bar is organic and the you have quality whey protein isolate from non-RBST processed cows, no-GMO ingredients, gluten free. Expensive ingredients - so not a criticism more than a note that you are getting what you pay for here.
    Taste - more "natural" if you're used to artificial flavors/sweeteners - candy tasting protein bars.
    Variety - would like to see different flavors, some dried fruits included in lieu of honey as a sweetening element.

edit here: Owner notified me they are working on more flavors, coming up soon.

Overall: Great Product!

They taste extremely clean and I get the flavor of the almonds, walnuts, & honey - which I found to be delicious. Great alternative to current bars on the market - not full of processed ingredients and more protein in it than a lot of "natural" bars. Something I would definitely eat on a regular basis and not have to worry about sugars/carbs etc. It's clear that the owner is very involved/interested in providing a bar he believes in and is receptive to customer feedback. I would absolutely order these and others who tried this while I had them loved these as well.

Definitely worth checking out!
    Last edited by Msistine; 02-19-2015 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Accuracy

Posterchild18 is a name known to all. (+5000) Posterchild18 is a name known to all. (+5000) Posterchild18 is a name known to all. (+5000) Posterchild18 is a name known to all. (+5000) Posterchild18 is a name known to all. (+5000) Posterchild18 is a name known to all. (+5000) Posterchild18 is a name known to all. (+5000) Posterchild18 is a name known to all. (+5000) Posterchild18 is a name known to all. (+5000) Posterchild18 is a name known to all. (+5000) Posterchild18 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Love the review and appreciate the honesty. Product looks good but i dont think its one i would pick up over a quest bar in the store considering this is a dollar more. Though i respect the all natural focus with these bars. BTW great comparative analysis and photos im impressed!

Msistine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Msistine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Msistine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Msistine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Msistine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Msistine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Msistine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Msistine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Msistine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Msistine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Msistine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Posterchild18 View Post
    Love the review and appreciate the honesty. Product looks good but i dont think its one i would pick up over a quest bar in the store considering this is a dollar more. Though i respect the all natural focus with these bars. BTW great comparative analysis and photos im impressed!
    Thank you for the input.

Just a note: I've learned that within the next week or two the price will go down, so you may reconsider checking them out then:

Price of 55g bar will go down to $2.75 per bar ($33 per box) and the price of 45g bar to $2.50 ($30 per box).

kkrathi is not very well liked. (-100) kkrathi is not very well liked. (-100) kkrathi is not very well liked. (-100) kkrathi is not very well liked. (-100) kkrathi is not very well liked. (-100) kkrathi is not very well liked. (-100) kkrathi is not very well liked. (-100) kkrathi is not very well liked. (-100) kkrathi is not very well liked. (-100) kkrathi is not very well liked. (-100) kkrathi is not very well liked. (-100)

Thumbs up Oorja Nutrition Bars

Originally Posted by Msistine View Post
    Thank you for the input.

Just a note: I've learned that within the next week or two the price will go down, so you may reconsider checking them out then:

Price of 55g bar will go down to $2.75 per bar ($33 per box) and the price of 45g bar to $2.50 ($30 per box).
    Msistine, thank you so much. That is one thoughtful and comprehensive review. We couldn't agree with you more on how these bars are helping power users like you. Regarding prices, we are happy to announce that just last week the price is decreased to $2.69 per large bar and $2.49 per medium bar. We can't really make a pitch here, but we will quote you about the costs - "Understandable given the quality". We are confident that when people check us out and see the results, they will get it.

Krishna R
    Founder, Oorja Nutrition Bars
    Last edited by kkrathi; 03-05-2015 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Accuracy and Title