Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Changing up Grip Width on Flat Bench

I change up exercises after I can't progress any further in weight for a certain amount of reps per set. I have always called it Periodization. I have not done flat bench in at least four months since I have been doing DB and machine work in my change-ups recently.

I have no other choice but to go back to flat bench, but instead of the same old thing, which is boring, I decided to narrow my grip about 1 inch of course on each side. My normal flat bench grip is slightly wider than shoulder width. It felt different doing it, but I expected it to. I felt more triceps stimulation, but also felt more chest stimulation, especially in the mid and upper chest.

Have any of you ever experimented on different grip widths on flat bench for something different?

kcuviello has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kcuviello has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kcuviello has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kcuviello has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kcuviello has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kcuviello has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kcuviello has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kcuviello has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kcuviello has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kcuviello has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kcuviello has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Mark1T View Post
    I change up exercises after I can't progress any further in weight for a certain amount of reps per set. I have always called it Periodization. I have not done flat bench in at least four months since I have been doing DB and machine work in my change-ups recently.

I have no other choice but to go back to flat bench, but instead of the same old thing, which is boring, I decided to narrow my grip about 1 inch of course on each side. My normal flat bench grip is slightly wider than shoulder width. It felt different doing it, but I expected it to. I felt more triceps stimulation, but also felt more chest stimulation, especially in the mid and upper chest.

Have any of you ever experimented on different grip widths on flat bench for something different?
    Yea absolutely. Not a bad idea. the smooth rings on the barbell are placed perfectly at my gym where i can go inside/outside/on top of and get a different feel all the time while still staying wide enough to not be "close-grip"

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

I used to use a wider grip index fingers on knurling, and now usually ring fingers or pinkies on inthe rings and it feels much better on my shoulders, but I get a little less chest activation at the bottom off of the chest, a little more delt and triceps I think. The wider feels better on lighter sets for really hammering the chest but going heavier for me it makes my shoulders unhappy.

Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    when I did bench and compete in powerlifitng, i had my bench grip and my various training grips.

When i did band training or worked on form and explosion, my grip was always narrow. When I did my heavy days, my grio was my competition grip.

I do the same thing with OHPs.....
    400# Bulgarian bicep curl

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by kcuviello View Post
    Yea absolutely. Not a bad idea. the smooth rings on the barbell are placed perfectly at my gym where i can go inside/outside/on top of and get a different feel all the time while still staying wide enough to not be "close-grip"
    Thanks.

Originally Posted by Plateauplower View Post
    I used to use a wider grip index fingers on knurling, and now usually ring fingers or pinkies on inthe rings and it feels much better on my shoulders, but I get a little less chest activation at the bottom off of the chest, a little more delt and triceps I think. The wider feels better on lighter sets for really hammering the chest but going heavier for me it makes my shoulders unhappy.
    Early last year for 12 weeks I used a slightly wider than shoulder grip and worked on strength and got up to 360 for 1. Then, went back to BBing, but with the same grip. I need something new, so coming in about an inch makes a difference. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Smelly bull View Post
    when I did bench and compete in powerlifitng, i had my bench grip and my various training grips.

When i did band training or worked on form and explosion, my grip was always narrow. When I did my heavy days, my grio was my competition grip.

I do the same thing with OHPs.....
    Thanks, SB. Good stuff.

Has new batteries! DuracellBunny's Avatar
    DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Although I haven't competed in a LONG time, I have still kept my grip the same, which is the maximum legal width; forefingers on the rings.
    Screw nature; my body will do what I DAMN WELL tell it to do!

The only dangerous thing about an exercise is the person doing it.

They had the technology to rebuild me. They made me better, stronger, faster......

Originally Posted by DuracellBunny View Post
    Although I haven't competed in a LONG time, I have still kept my grip the same, which is the maximum legal width; forefingers on the rings.
    I always have, too. My point is that I wanted a change-up. And, a challenge. So, I will periodize with the more narrow grip.

tank316 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tank316 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tank316 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tank316 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tank316 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tank316 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tank316 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tank316 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tank316 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tank316 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tank316 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I vary my grip on bench/incline/pull downs/ bar rows. Just trying to advantage of everything can. Also changing the grip feels better on both repaired shoulders.

Has new batteries! DuracellBunny's Avatar
    DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I always have, too. My point is that I wanted a change-up. And, a challenge. So, I will periodize with the more narrow grip.
    Do you use the same grip for incline and decline too? There is also the option of using different grips for all 3, as well as changing grip within 1.

If you just want a change up, I have seen people move grip outward by a finger each set on the way up a pyramid and then back in by a finger each set down the pyramid. That way, they are still with their strongest, most experienced grip for the heaviest set(s), but get in some volume with the other grips.
    Screw nature; my body will do what I DAMN WELL tell it to do!

The only dangerous thing about an exercise is the person doing it.

They had the technology to rebuild me. They made me better, stronger, faster......

Originally Posted by DuracellBunny View Post
    Do you use the same grip for incline and decline too? There is also the option of using different grips for all 3, as well as changing grip within 1.

If you just want a change up, I have seen people move grip outward by a finger each set on the way up a pyramid and then back in by a finger each set down the pyramid. That way, they are still with their strongest, most experienced grip for the heaviest set(s), but get in some volume with the other grips.
    I don't do BB Incline because it messes with my shoulders, bad. I only do DB or machine inclines. Your description of varying widths in a workout is interesting, but that is not what I want to do and it does not make sense to me. To go wider, would wreck my shoulders. If I decide to change up to another width, I will stay at that width for that period of progression. Interesting, though. Thanks.

Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    My grip for a 1RM in a comp is very wide, simply because I have a shorter ROM. My wrists couldn't handle that width for day to day to day training however.
    Don't put that on me Ricky Bobby, don't you ever put that on me.

Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Bando View Post
    My grip for a 1RM in a comp is very wide, simply because I have a shorter ROM. My wrists couldn't handle that width for day to day to day training however.
    My grip was very wide as well. I found wrist wraps helped with the wrists....but I narrowed the grip mostly to focus on lockout and tricep activation..

Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    My grip was very wide as well. I found wrist wraps helped with the wrists....but I narrowed the grip mostly to focus on lockout and tricep activation..
    I also adopted a wide grip for an online OHP comp here, was widely ridiculed for it. That's why I like to compete IRL rather than against keyboard lifters.
    Don't put that on me Ricky Bobby, don't you ever put that on me.

4Biz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Biz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Biz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Biz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Biz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Biz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Biz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Biz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Biz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Biz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Biz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    OP:

Yes, changing the grip even a little changes things throughout

I usually flat bench with pinky on outer ring but on occasion I'll move in or out to throw things off which gives different results

Yes, do it
    BP Max: 350
    (315x4, 275x8, 11x250)

51 yrs - 6' 1" - 228

Originally Posted by Bando View Post
    I also adopted a wide grip for an online OHP comp here, was widely ridiculed for it. That's why I like to compete IRL rather than against keyboard lifters.
    I play around with my OHP grip, but not like the bench. I might try that..

Lol, I understand the keyboard lifters comment...

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Lately pinkies on rings, bar just below sternum seems to be the only pain free thing I can do, even that not very heavy. Dbs seem to be my only path forward for flat bench. For incline, wider feels better. Go figure.
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555

anonymous
    Before I dropped the bench I tried to make it more shoulder and pec tendon friendly by using a closer grip , about 2" in from my old grip

It didn't help my bench as I'm a "pec-pop" bencher (blast off the chest, struggle at midpoint) and moving leverage off the pecs and on to the tris didn't work.

MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Maybe its not what you are asking but for a change have you thought of a Swiss Bar?

I have bad shoulders as well, so for kicks after reading a post on it I bought a Swiss bar, the type with multiple angles and widths. Two months in and really liking it. I get away with (my shoulders don't hurt) the shoulder width 45 deg bench and the under hand 45 deg bench quite nicely. Completely different from what I am used to.

Food for thought, good luck

Originally Posted by Halfway View Post
    Before I dropped the bench I tried to make it more shoulder and pec tendon friendly by using a closer grip , about 2" in from my old grip

It didn't help my bench as I'm a "pec-pop" bencher (blast off the chest, struggle at midpoint) and moving leverage off the pecs and on to the tris didn't work.
    Originally Posted by drudixon View Post
    Lately pinkies on rings, bar just below sternum seems to be the only pain free thing I can do, even that not very heavy. Dbs seem to be my only path forward for flat bench. For incline, wider feels better. Go figure.
    Originally Posted by MecGen View Post
    Maybe its not what you are asking but for a change have you thought of a Swiss Bar?

I have bad shoulders as well, so for kicks after reading a post on it I bought a Swiss bar, the type with multiple angles and widths. Two months in and really liking it. I get away with (my shoulders don't hurt) the shoulder width 45 deg bench and the under hand 45 deg bench quite nicely. Completely different from what I am used to.

Food for thought, good luck
    All good comments and thanks. To be clear, I am not changing the grip width for flat bench for comfort or to prevent injury, or to increase my bench. I am only changing the grip width for a change-up, as in a new exercise movement, for bbing. I am moving inward about 1" or so for something different. After this progression, I will move to another exercise. After some months, I will move back to flat bench, but I will use another grip-width.

TTCJoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TTCJoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TTCJoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TTCJoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TTCJoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TTCJoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TTCJoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TTCJoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TTCJoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TTCJoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TTCJoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Yes. I go wider than shoulder when trying to build up strength but if I come on about an inch I build more thickness in the chest.

steveh5200 will become famous soon enough. (+50) steveh5200 will become famous soon enough. (+50) steveh5200 will become famous soon enough. (+50) steveh5200 will become famous soon enough. (+50) steveh5200 will become famous soon enough. (+50) steveh5200 will become famous soon enough. (+50) steveh5200 will become famous soon enough. (+50) steveh5200 will become famous soon enough. (+50) steveh5200 will become famous soon enough. (+50) steveh5200 will become famous soon enough. (+50) steveh5200 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I just started doing reverse grip bench (look it up). If you really want to shake up your bench press workout give that shot.

Originally Posted by TTCJoe View Post
    Yes. I go wider than shoulder when trying to build up strength but if I come on about an inch I build more thickness in the chest.
    Exactly

Originally Posted by steveh5200 View Post
    I just started doing reverse grip bench (look it up). If you really want to shake up your bench press workout give that shot.
    I may try that on my next progression. Thank you.

Registered User TiberiusClaudis's Avatar
    TiberiusClaudis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TiberiusClaudis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TiberiusClaudis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TiberiusClaudis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TiberiusClaudis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TiberiusClaudis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TiberiusClaudis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TiberiusClaudis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TiberiusClaudis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TiberiusClaudis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TiberiusClaudis has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    When I do flat bench on chest day, I do 2 sets of shoulder wide and then do 2 sets of wider grip...inside of hands touching outer ring.

While on arms day, I do a very narrow grip to accent my tris.

Same with inclines and declines.
    And when Caesar reached the Oceanside, he wept. As there were no more worlds to conquer.

I have a hard time deciphering the fine line between boredom and hunger.

Originally Posted by TiberiusClaudis View Post
    When I do flat bench on chest day, I do 2 sets of shoulder wide and then do 2 sets of wider grip...inside of hands touching outer ring.

While on arms day, I do a very narrow grip to accent my tris.

Same with inclines and declines.
    That's very interesting. Yours is similar to what DuracellBunny said. I have never done that, nor have I ever seen anyone do that, but the more I think about it, it sounds like a good plan. I may try that on one of my next progressions. Thanks for the tips.