brent_baker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Here is how I finally started gaining mass!

I know this may not apply to everyone but when I started working out I was doing 3 sets of 8-10 on every exercise. I was getting more ripped but was not getting stronger or bigger. I than saw someone post on this board that they new this guy who was huge who only did 1 set of many exercises 3 timer per week. So I thought I would give it a try. I started out 4 weeks ago doing 1 set for isolated muscles and 2 sets for workouts that affected multiple groups. For example: Bench-2 sets 8-reps (not simultaneously), db curls 1-set 8-reps , db reverse curls 1-set 8-reps , db flies 2-sets 8-reps , standing rows 2 sets 8-reps , tricep extensions 1 set 8-reps, and so on. The only supplement i am taking is whey protien shakes twice per day.

In the 5 weeks I have been doing this workout the weight i am using has gone up dramatically. And I have gained 10 lbs lean mass.

This is how my sets started out and what they are at now.
    Bench (narrow grip)
    Started out at 135 now:205
    db Curls
    Started out at 25 now: 45
    db Reverse Curls
    Started out at 25 now: 45
    bb Standing Rows
    Started out at 55 now: 100
    db tricep extensions (one armed from standing position)
    Started out at 20 now: 40
    db flies
    Stared out at 30 now: 50

As you can see, the gains have been great and it has been a real confidence boost to finally make good gains. I hope this will help someone out.

<font color="blue">Actually my workout is kind of like a max-ot workout

The only difference is i can do no more than 10 reps with the weight i am using and only do 8 reps.

And yes, the weight has gone up that much for the same types of sets and reps.

Let me give you a little example:

The amount of weight I used on the bench for set one used to be 135 for 8 reps set-1 ( I could probably do 10 reps)
    140 for 8 reps set-2
    My 1 rep max at this time was 195

Now
    210 for 8 reps set-1
    215 for 8 reps set-2
    I have not tested my 1 rep max now but I'm guessing about 260</font>
    Last edited by brent_baker; 09-26-2003 at 07:52 AM.

SPR1GGAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SPR1GGAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SPR1GGAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SPR1GGAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SPR1GGAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SPR1GGAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SPR1GGAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SPR1GGAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SPR1GGAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SPR1GGAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SPR1GGAN is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Not to discredit your gains... but I want to call them total and utter BS. Unless you were WAY underworking yourself at the beginning, in which case this is all crap... Or maybe if you were juicing.

Anyhow, if these are real, then grats to ya...
    Be your own hardest critic...

TIGER _ EYED will become famous soon enough. (+50) TIGER _ EYED will become famous soon enough. (+50) TIGER _ EYED will become famous soon enough. (+50) TIGER _ EYED will become famous soon enough. (+50) TIGER _ EYED will become famous soon enough. (+50) TIGER _ EYED will become famous soon enough. (+50) TIGER _ EYED will become famous soon enough. (+50) TIGER _ EYED will become famous soon enough. (+50) TIGER _ EYED will become famous soon enough. (+50) TIGER _ EYED will become famous soon enough. (+50) TIGER _ EYED will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i like that routine, i've used something like it before and gotten great gains.
    - the brave don't live forever but the cowardly never really live.......

- pain is temporary, pride is forever....

HUGE_I_AM is on a distinguished road. (+10) HUGE_I_AM is on a distinguished road. (+10) HUGE_I_AM is on a distinguished road. (+10) HUGE_I_AM is on a distinguished road. (+10) HUGE_I_AM is on a distinguished road. (+10) HUGE_I_AM is on a distinguished road. (+10) HUGE_I_AM is on a distinguished road. (+10) HUGE_I_AM is on a distinguished road. (+10) HUGE_I_AM is on a distinguished road. (+10) HUGE_I_AM is on a distinguished road. (+10) HUGE_I_AM is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    LOL

unless the before weights were maxes you are wrong

like say you did 30lb DB curls for 3 sets of 8 reps then you just do 1 set of 8 so you can obviously do a lot more weight since you have no other sets, this goes for all other exercises too

also, if you are doing less sets you obvioiusly will be able to lift more weight on the next exercise

i.e going from 135 3x8 on bench then 100 3x8 on decline and with your "new" routine, you can do 185 1x8 on bench, and 170 1x8 on decline cause you havent worked your muscles as hard

Actually my workout is kind of like a max-ot workout

The only difference is i can do no more than 10 reps with the weight i am using and only do 8 reps.

The amount of weight I used on the bench for set one used to be 135 for 8 reps set-1 ( I could probably do 10 reps)
    140 for 8 reps set-2

Now
    210 for 8 reps set-1
    215 for 8 reps set-2
    I have not tested my 1 rep max now but I'm guessing about 260

BBwil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I know this may not apply to everyone but when I started working out I was doing 3 sets of 8-10 on every exercise. I was getting more ripped but was not getting stronger or bigger. I than saw someone post on this board that they new this guy who was huge who only did 1 set of many exercises 3 timer per week. So I thought I would give it a try. I started out 4 weeks ago doing 1 set for isolated muscles and 2 sets for workouts that affected multiple groups. For example: Bench-2 sets 8-reps (not simultaneously), db curls 1-set 8-reps , db reverse curls 1-set 8-reps , db flies 2-sets 8-reps , standing rows 2 sets 8-reps , tricep extensions 1 set 8-reps, and so on.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice, I think i'll try that routine.

MEL GIBSON has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MEL GIBSON has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MEL GIBSON has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Thumbs up

Originally posted by brent_baker
    Actually my workout is kind of like a max-ot workout

140 for 8 reps set-2

Now
    210 for 8 reps set-1
    215 for 8 reps set-2
    I have not tested my 1 rep max now but I'm guessing about 260
    who taught you this workout looks cool.
    I HAVE LETHAL GUNZ

Actually I had been trying several different programs and what i found was a medium between a max ot program and the old pyramid program. I liked the max ot except for the 5 sets of warm ups and the dangerously high weight that is used. I think that program is definently more for power lifters. I have alway's liked the old pyramid program but never got the gains in size that I was looking for. With the two mixed like described above is how I have been making the best results. The last two weeks I have not been lifting though due to wakeboard tournaments. Now that the wakeboard season is over though, I am going to get back to being real serious again at it.

Ricky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ricky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ricky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ricky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ricky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Could you post more specifics on this.
    How many days per week did you work out. This appears to be a very interesting workout.

I'm doing a fullbody workout one day a week, I did the same last summer and got stronger, but went off it for a long while.

Ricky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ricky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ricky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ricky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ricky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Could you post a few more specifics, like the number of days per week?

I have been doing a fullbody workout one day a week. When I went away from it, my gains stopped. Now that I'm back to it, I keep getting stronger. It's one working set for each as well after warmups.