Nightfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nightfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nightfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nightfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nightfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nightfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nightfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nightfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nightfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nightfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nightfly will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Red face Never had a spotter

I was thinking about my training, and how some guys have big benches. I do not have a big bench, I did not prioritize the barbell bench press. Is it necessary to have a spotter for the bench if you are serious? I just think I have been missing out because I have not had a training partner in ages. I wonder what my potential could have been.

Beastlito is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beastlito is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beastlito is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beastlito is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beastlito is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beastlito is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beastlito is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beastlito is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beastlito is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beastlito is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beastlito is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    No it is not necessary.

Just use a power rack with the safeties in. Safer than an actual spotter

bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Power rack is good if you cant find a good spotter. Sometimes a spotter can be trained .
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172784881 redtest log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173258571

Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It's hard to push yourself to try something more than you're accustomed to without a spot, at least in my experience. I never hesitate to ask for a spot at the gym if I need one. If you have a home gym, a cage is very important. Once I get north of 275 lbs on bp, I always use a spotter. Without a spot, sometimes I feel like I leave reps on the table which could slow progress.
    My vids: youtube.com/channel/UCXYsnKrrmhI9oPzfzkn8NsA
    Strong e-stat crew checking in

RookieGER is a name known to all. (+5000) RookieGER is a name known to all. (+5000) RookieGER is a name known to all. (+5000) RookieGER is a name known to all. (+5000) RookieGER is a name known to all. (+5000) RookieGER is a name known to all. (+5000) RookieGER is a name known to all. (+5000) RookieGER is a name known to all. (+5000) RookieGER is a name known to all. (+5000) RookieGER is a name known to all. (+5000) RookieGER is a name known to all. (+5000)
    watch videos of bench press fails. i was never the same

WillJohnson1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillJohnson1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillJohnson1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillJohnson1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillJohnson1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillJohnson1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillJohnson1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillJohnson1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillJohnson1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillJohnson1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillJohnson1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Nightfly View Post
    I was thinking about my training, and how some guys have big benches. I do not have a big bench, I did not prioritize the barbell bench press. Is it necessary to have a spotter for the bench if you are serious? I just think I have been missing out because I have not had a training partner in ages. I wonder what my potential could have been.
    Man, you got to train in a power cage. I can only workout for 20 or 30 minutes max so I got a cage at home, doing singles training. ( I train in martial art so lifting time in low. )

Nightfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nightfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nightfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nightfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nightfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nightfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nightfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nightfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nightfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nightfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nightfly will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    When I was maybe 16 I failed on an inclince press and had to be saved by a couple of guys. It left a mark on me.

Originally Posted by RookieGER View Post

Gabbar99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Gabbar99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Gabbar99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Gabbar99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Gabbar99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Gabbar99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Gabbar99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Gabbar99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Gabbar99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Gabbar99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Gabbar99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by RookieGER View Post
    After watching those fails, I always put collars on (why not? it takes seconds) and wrap my thumbs around the bar.

I never have a spotter except when my son is home from college. I'm very selfish with my time in the gym and don't want to spot anyone else, so I almost never ask for one.

Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    While I don't recommend it, a big bench can be built without a spotter or even a rack. The only time I ever had a spotter was maxing out..otherwise it was just me and the bench. My highest competition bench was 440#.

To do this you have to understand this is a long, slow process, you have to listen to your body in terms of fatigue or injury. I did a lot of 5x5 and if I hit the reps (and I never went to failure for obvious reasons) I was done with that set. Than I would go up 5# the next week, etc.

As I said, I wouldn't recommend it,especially to someone starting out, but it can be done.
    400# Bulgarian bicep curl

tank316 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tank316 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tank316 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tank316 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tank316 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tank316 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tank316 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tank316 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tank316 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tank316 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tank316 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Beastlito View Post
    No it is not necessary.

Just use a power rack with the safeties in. Safer than an actual spotter
    This^^
    Ive trained alone for years, used the power rack and safeties many times.

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Smelly bull View Post
    While I don't recommend it, a big bench can be built without a spotter or even a rack. The only time I ever had a spotter was maxing out..otherwise it was just me and the bench. My highest competition bench was 440#.

To do this you have to understand this is a long, slow process, you have to listen to your body in terms of fatigue or injury. I did a lot of 5x5 and if I hit the reps (and I never went to failure for obvious reasons) I was done with that set. Than I would go up 5# the next week, etc.

As I said, I wouldn't recommend it,especially to someone starting out, but it can be done.
    I think this has definitly slowed my progression. It's hard to tell when there is another clean rep or two in the tank. I train early am in a gym where spotters are not available and if I dump the weights I would likely get booted. Might start using the rack for heavy days, still won't be able to get any forced reps.

itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Absolutely agree with benching in a rack. At some gyms I've had to do that just because the bench stations aren't adjustable and I can't reach far enough to unrack out of the darn things on my own. I'm not short, but I think some of those must be designed for people who are a minimum of 5'10" or something.

Also, I love pin presses. Which is something else you can do when you bench in a rack

WillJohnson1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillJohnson1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillJohnson1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillJohnson1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillJohnson1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillJohnson1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillJohnson1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillJohnson1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillJohnson1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillJohnson1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillJohnson1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Anyone here in martial art? I do singles because I want to hit as hard as hell. I do the same for squats and deads to avoid the take down or to get up from the ground. Would doing a few reps add to any of that?

Maybe should post in MMA, newby here.

In it for the gainz RestoringTally's Avatar
    RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Gabbar99 View Post
    After watching those fails, I always put collars on (why not? it takes seconds) and wrap my thumbs around the bar.

I never have a spotter except when my son is home from college. I'm very selfish with my time in the gym and don't want to spot anyone else, so I almost never ask for one.
    Don't do that - don't use collars when benching alone.

If you fail the bar will land on you and you will be pinned under it. With collars on the bar, you will not be able to get the bar off you.

Without collars you can tilt the bar and let the plates slide off.
    O─O York Barbell Crew #53 O─O
    ─█────█─ Ivanko Barbell Crew #63 ─█────█─
    ─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
    My goal is to have so much equipment that I don't have room to workout. I am almost there. :)
    ──────────────────────────────────-───────────────────────
    1st Meet Nov 2014 Push-Pull: 225 - 325 @ 194 Masters 59

Gabbar99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Gabbar99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Gabbar99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Gabbar99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Gabbar99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Gabbar99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Gabbar99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Gabbar99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Gabbar99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Gabbar99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Gabbar99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by RestoringTally View Post

If you fail the bar will land on you and you will be pinned under it. With collars on the bar, you will not be able to get the bar off you.

I lift in a cage with safeties and other lifters within 8 feet. I even practiced getting out if I failed.

In it for the gainz RestoringTally's Avatar
    RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by RestoringTally View Post

I lift in a cage with safeties and other lifters within 8 feet. I even practiced getting out if I failed.
    Your original post did not say you lifted in a cage or had spotters available.

The key word in my reply was alone. When you are alone there is no one to save your butt when you fail.

And if you use a cage or power rack properly there is no need for human spotters for safety.
    O─O York Barbell Crew #53 O─O
    ─█────█─ Ivanko Barbell Crew #63 ─█────█─
    ─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
    My goal is to have so much equipment that I don't have room to workout. I am almost there. :)
    ──────────────────────────────────-───────────────────────
    1st Meet Nov 2014 Push-Pull: 225 - 325 @ 194 Masters 59

iceNsteel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iceNsteel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iceNsteel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iceNsteel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iceNsteel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iceNsteel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iceNsteel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iceNsteel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iceNsteel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iceNsteel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iceNsteel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It's mostly a question of experience. If you have enough to know whether you can complete the rep or not, you're fine without a spot. If you aren't at that point yet then it's better to have a spotter, or use hammer strength machines for sets you intend to take to failure.

In Witness Protection mtpockets's Avatar
    mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by WillJohnson1 View Post
    Anyone here in martial art? I do singles because I want to hit as hard as hell. I do the same for squats and deads to avoid the take down or to get up from the ground. Would doing a few reps add to any of that?

Maybe should post in MMA, newby here.
    singles can be a road to injury, especially for someone new.
    Air Force Veteran 1976 - 1999

Real Heroes don't wear capes.

Keep your squats low and standards high.

You are not stuck at home, you are safe at home.

Originally Posted by mtpockets View Post
    singles can be a road to injury, especially for someone new.
    Been lifting for years so not new to lifting, newby to BB.com. I warm up thoroughly. I found that higher reps did little for me for the MMA.

pondman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pondman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pondman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pondman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pondman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pondman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pondman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pondman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pondman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pondman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pondman is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You can make some good gains without a spotter. But if you want to be competitive, you've got to work with and through failure. That's the nature of all sports. Just a philosophy of trying to workout with people, and hopefully you have a chance to workout with people who are a step above your level.