Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    lisafurey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Very Impressive CV you have! Thanks for your willingness to take time to help! So do you have any book suggestions on better understanding macros?

blackjob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi Doc i have a question - i'm beginner that started transformation program. While doing various workouts I noticed that my biceps quite weak and also after biceps workout it doesn't feel pumped or hard compared to other muscles e.g. triceps. Any tips or specific exercises?

bellasella has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi Dr Jacob! Thanks for this opportunity! I read the previous entry that wine could help with energy (mitochondria?). As a woman, trying to lean out, would one 5oz glass of wine every night still be ok in my quest to be lean? Otherwise opening a bottle just gets wasted, if I am the only one drinking it and there are about 5-5oz cups in each bottle. I would rather do one glass almost every night, instead of 2 a night in a few nights.

Somoj622 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Where do I post my week 2 challenge video?

LIZDUNN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LIZDUNN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LIZDUNN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LIZDUNN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LIZDUNN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LIZDUNN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LIZDUNN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LIZDUNN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LIZDUNN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LIZDUNN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LIZDUNN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Does anyone know the exact lbs a barbell is? When calculating the total weight lifted on squads and bench press, do you include the weight of the barbell?

KevinF88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KevinF88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KevinF88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KevinF88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KevinF88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KevinF88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KevinF88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KevinF88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KevinF88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KevinF88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KevinF88 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by LIZDUNN View Post
    Does anyone know the exact lbs a barbell is? When calculating the total weight lifted on squads and bench press, do you include the weight of the barbell?
    Yes, you include the weight of the bar. You should ask your gym because depending on the size of the bar it can be a different weight. A standard barbell is usually 45 lbs.

PowerOmen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by LIZDUNN View Post
    I have been wondering the same with different kind of bars used (e.g. EZ-bar), but I've found that it doesn't really matteri. Pick a weight or don't include it at all. I think the most important thing is that you are able to track your progress and you can do that too without knowing the correct weight of the bar. This becomes a real problem only when you perform the same exercise with different bars so it's hard to figure the "correct" weight without trial and error.

LIZDUNN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LIZDUNN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LIZDUNN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LIZDUNN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LIZDUNN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LIZDUNN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LIZDUNN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LIZDUNN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LIZDUNN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LIZDUNN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LIZDUNN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by KevinF88 View Post
    Yes, you include the weight of the bar. You should ask your gym because depending on the size of the bar it can be a different weight. A standard barbell is usually 45 lbs.
    Thank you. I can now track my workouts correctly. Greatly appreciate it.

Originally Posted by PowerOmen View Post
    I have been wondering the same with different kind of bars used (e.g. EZ-bar), but I've found that it doesn't really matteri. Pick a weight or don't include it at all. I think the most important thing is that you are able to track your progress and you can do that too without knowing the correct weight of the bar. This becomes a real problem only when you perform the same exercise with different bars so it's hard to figure the "correct" weight without trial and error.
    Thank you. I really appreciate it.

Beerad37 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Beerad37 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Beerad37 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Beerad37 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Beerad37 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Beerad37 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Beerad37 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Beerad37 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Beerad37 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Beerad37 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Beerad37 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Is it possible after "beginner gains" to still gain muscle while in a calorie deficit or cut?
    Physique-Powerlifter
    165lb class
    Squat - 435
    Bench - 275
    Deadlift - 520

DrJacobWilson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrJacobWilson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrJacobWilson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrJacobWilson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrJacobWilson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrJacobWilson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrJacobWilson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrJacobWilson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrJacobWilson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrJacobWilson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrJacobWilson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by lisafurey View Post
    Very Impressive CV you have! Thanks for your willingness to take time to help! So do you have any book suggestions on better understanding macros?
    Thanks! Honestly most of the articles I read are from pubmed or google scholar. Katch Katch and McCardle have some solid sport nutrition books!
    Follow me on Twitter and Instagram --> @themuscleprof

DrJacobWilson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrJacobWilson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrJacobWilson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrJacobWilson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrJacobWilson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrJacobWilson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrJacobWilson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrJacobWilson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrJacobWilson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrJacobWilson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrJacobWilson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Beerad37 View Post
    Is it possible after "beginner gains" to still gain muscle while in a calorie deficit or cut?
    Yes it definitely is we have sen it time and time again

Originally Posted by blackjob View Post
    Hi Doc i have a question - i'm beginner that started transformation program. While doing various workouts I noticed that my biceps quite weak and also after biceps workout it doesn't feel pumped or hard compared to other muscles e.g. triceps. Any tips or specific exercises?
    Hi buddy, I think its not an exercise things as much as it is a mind muscle thing. Try and do isolation exercises like concentration curls and focus direction on the muscle and squeezing the whole time. So your focus should be internal and not on lifting the weight just flex up and down. Our studies have shown this enhances the pump and muscle activity

Originally Posted by bellasella View Post
    Hi Dr Jacob! Thanks for this opportunity! I read the previous entry that wine could help with energy (mitochondria?). As a woman, trying to lean out, would one 5oz glass of wine every night still be ok in my quest to be lean? Otherwise opening a bottle just gets wasted, if I am the only one drinking it and there are about 5-5oz cups in each bottle. I would rather do one glass almost every night, instead of 2 a night in a few nights.
    Hi 4-5 ounces a night has a lot of health benefits and yes the resveratrol does increase mitochondria! More than that and you will hurt gains

TroyFromLV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So I have been trouble of gaining weight. Maybe I gain em but converts or put on muscle instead? I am 145 and I swear I never get go pass beyond 147. I want to gain muscle mass and some more weight. How can I join the 200k transformation? Thank you! I'm pumped and love to see a lot of changes with this challenge and feel good naked as well 😁

BobbyKaloferov has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hello Jacob. I am very happy to be part of BB challenge and I look forward to see the end results of my efforts. Just a quick question or two that bothers me.

When we talk about daily water intake do I include as such the supplement liquids (such as bcaa mixed with water, protein powder mixed with water and etc.). Because I have the feeling I am drinking too much water (I know it sounds hard to achieve but still).

I am aiming for between 2.5 - 6 liters a day but the most I drink is pre, intra and post workout (I'd say like 3 - 4 liters.

I hope that you understand my questions. Thank you for given time and keep up helping!

Originally Posted by Somoj622 View Post
    Where do I post my week 2 challenge video?
    You do it on instragram and twitter and tag us @themuscleprof @bodybuilding.com and @dymatize

Originally Posted by santos98 View Post
    Hi my name is Jose . Do I post this inspiration on my body log or elsewhere. Can you please let me know
    Post it on instagram and twitter and make sure to tag @bodybuildingcom @themuscleprof and @dymatize

Originally Posted by BobbyKaloferov View Post
    Hello Jacob. I am very happy to be part of BB challenge and I look forward to see the end results of my efforts. Just a quick question or two that bothers me.

When we talk about daily water intake do I include as such the supplement liquids (such as bcaa mixed with water, protein powder mixed with water and etc.). Because I have the feeling I am drinking too much water (I know it sounds hard to achieve but still).

I am aiming for between 2.5 - 6 liters a day but the most I drink is pre, intra and post workout (I'd say like 3 - 4 liters.

I hope that you understand my questions. Thank you for given time and keep up helping!
    You can count those pre workout drinks. Main thing is feedback. If your urine color is light like lemonade you know you are on the right track http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-aJekyLjeQ0...or-chart-2.png

Originally Posted by mb6330 View Post
    Just wondering where to post a video or pic for the weekly challenges?

Thanks
    Post it on twitter and instagram and make sure to tag @bodybuildingcom @dymatize and @themuscleprof

Originally Posted by builddec View Post
    hi doc was just wondering, I've been training for some years now. I'm a very active person, do a hard manual job, but even if i eat my six meals plus aday, plus cardio one or twice a week i never seem to put on muscle, or lose body fat///////
    my strength goes through the roof but it take me a life time to see any progress.
    I've entered into the $200k transformation to try and push my self, but it just gets me down wen i train and eat well, and see vey little progress, any help would be appreciated.
    Honestly you might consider low carb ketogenic dieting. 75 % fat, 20 % protein and 5 % carbohydrates.

Originally Posted by Johndmmccullah View Post
    Hey Dr. Wilson, I'm currently doing project mass(best program I've ever done, love the variety of exercises and techniques). I'm on a keto diet, I've been gaining strength but on my hypertrophy days are starting to suffer, I'm still lifting heavier than ever before so I know I'm pushing myself, but I feel like I have more in my tank but I gas out to fast. My question is now that I'm in ketosis im going to start adding 30 carbs around workouts. Curious if I should add them hour before, after training, or split 15 on each side of the workout. Also I'm eating rice cakes(mainly for the convience) is that carb source acceptable. I'm also getting greens with every meal so I'm not completely abondoning carbs. Thanks in advance, I really appreciate your input.
    Josh great question. A couple things you could do. First, MCTs in your pre workout may help you in the gym (just don't overshoot or else you might be running to the bathroom all workout haha) Secondly, certainly I think while KD carbs around your workout, especially on hypertrophy days can help and allow you to still stay in ketosis.

Irvin2523 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question on carbohydrates

How many grams of carbs can the body typically process at one time during a bulking phase? I am under the assumption that taking in too many too close together could increase the likely hood of fat accumulation. What is your opinion on this?

Originally Posted by SebasSanchez View Post
    I am training my muscles with 3 to 4 days of rest, is it enought rest?

Also I am taking Pre-BCAA-Protein, should I take the BCAA during workout?
    Honestly if you periodize you may not need more than 48 hours rest. Check out my article here http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-...-beginner.html

Your BCCS should be pre workout and protein post

epaz831 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) epaz831 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) epaz831 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) epaz831 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) epaz831 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) epaz831 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) epaz831 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) epaz831 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) epaz831 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) epaz831 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Hey doc, today I stopped using gloves to workout and I found it difficult to hold on to the dumbells for a long time, how long will it take for me to get used to working out without gloves? And any advice?
    thank you!

Originally Posted by Cchavez1319 View Post
    Hi Dr. Wilson,
    I have a question about energy drinks. Do you think they are ok? Specifically not the ones with a bunch of sugar, but the sugar free ones? I drink one Xyience each day before my workouts, about 5 cans per week. It seems to help my energy level for cardio. If used in moderation are they ok?
    As long as its in moderation then sure its okay. One of the issues I have with those is potentially burning out your CNS. IF you keep taking them every time you do cardio just to "amp" you up, over time that may just make you more and more reliant and cause you to take even more stimulants to fight off fatigue. Just be careful

BrooklynGurl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have a question about supplements. I'm interested in losing a good amount of body fat during this transformation and I cannot use caffeine or any other heart stimulant. My diet consists of all whole foods, nothing processed, no sugar and no grains. Basically, a Paleo diet w/ 3 meals per day (protein and vegetables, occasional fruit) and lots of water. I strength train 3X per week and I do 30 minutes of cardio 5-6 days per week. What supplements, if any, do you recommend I take to increase my fat burning potential? Should I be consuming protein shakes after strength training? I'm a 51 year old female. Thank you.

kryssyhayes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This is some awesome stuff! Thank you for taking the time, I am taking in all these questions and answers! Appreciate it!

Originally Posted by Irvin2523 View Post
    How many grams of carbs can the body typically process at one time during a bulking phase? I am under the assumption that taking in too many too close together could increase the likely hood of fat accumulation. What is your opinion on this?
    That all depends on how insulin sensitive you are. In general I recommend 3-5 grams of carbs per kg of bodyweight each day, with 3 on your light days and 5 on your heavy. That comes out to about 1.4 to 2.4 grams per lb. Then I just divided them up equally with my meals. Costill did research in the 80s where he found that it didn't matter how many meals you had those carbs over as far as replenishing your carb stores. But for fat mass it seems that you don't get any spill over into fat when keeping to 30 grams or less. Anything over will depend on how insulin sensitive you are

Originally Posted by SebasSanchez View Post
    I am training my muscles with 3 to 4 days of rest, is it enought rest?

Also I am taking Pre-BCAA-Protein, should I take the BCAA during workout?
    Thats plenty of time pal. If you are taking in protein and/or BCAAs pre workout then I don't think they are necessary intra as well.