Brandon0523 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Questions on Shortcut to Size Program as well as Bicep Curl

Okay ladies and gents,

I'm looking for any advice or ideas on what could possibly be going on with the shortcut to size program and as in the title my bicep curl as well. I'm currently deployed, and I'm not sure if some of these questions can relate to my sleep schedule (usually 6.5-7.5 hours of sleep per night) or some of it has to do with nutrition. Because I do know those can greatly affect your performance at the gym, as well as muscle development and growth. Any advice will do, I'm not here to judge weather you're a man or a woman because I know there are experienced bodybuilders/workout fanatics in both genders. But my first question is:

When doing the shortcut to size program Dr. Jim was stating that in phase 2 (currently just started), I noticed that Dr. Jim states that most people using this program will increase their weight on certain exercises by 10-20 pounds and even 30-40 pounds depending on how you lift. Ive only added 5 pounds per a exercise per a micro-cycle then when the phases start over Ive only been adding 5 pounds from the starting weight. For example: with a barbell bench press ill do 150lbs 12-15 reps then as micro-cycle 2 hits ill do 155lbs for 9-11 reps and so on and so forth, until the phase is complete. Now that I have started phase 2 I started with 155lbs instead of lets say 160lbs just because I don't want to break form while doing the exercise and potentially risk injury. That's one of my main concerns. But the real question is should I be increasing more weight and breaking a little form to put up that weight to get past the famous "plain"?

That brings me to my next question. Ive been lifting on and off for about 3 years now (being in the military doesn't always work well with lifting cycles because of deployments, field problems, working late, etc.) and Ive noticed that Ive been stuck on my barbell bicep curl for the past 3 years or so. Ive changed workouts out multiple times trying to increase the production of this specific exercise but I always seem to get stuck around 60-75lbs on a 4 set 12-15rep/9-11rep cycle. One of my main concerns as stated up top is that I don't want to break form to hit that extra weight because I see people do it all the time and it makes me wonder why are they doing that? Ive even seen bodybuilders break form from time to time to hit those heavier weights. So I'm wondering if that is necessary to do to increase your weight and help get passed the plain?

Any advice is greatly appreciated and I'm looking forward to hearing from the community.

Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Jim's program is not a strength based program. He does a bro split where you only work one body part per day so you only train it once a week. I work with some power lifters (competitive) and they do more volume over load to improve on PRs. So I don't think Jim's program is right for you if strength is your goal.

I also never really felt like his program was any good period. I don't like how high in weight he goes on his final phase. I ended up getting hurt as a beginner. I don't think it is ever smart to do low rep/high weight on single joint exercises. And again the frequency of training is sub optimal for both strength and mass gains.

I would go with a different program.
    I like personal responsibility and accountability. When you admit you are the problem you are simultaneously admitting you are the solution.

Brandon0523 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Connor1226 View Post
    Jim's program is not a strength based program. He does a bro split where you only work one body part per day so you only train it once a week. I work with some power lifters (competitive) and they do more volume over load to improve on PRs. So I don't think Jim's program is right for you if strength is your goal.

I also never really felt like his program was any good period. I don't like how high in weight he goes on his final phase. I ended up getting hurt as a beginner. I don't think it is ever smart to do low rep/high weight on single joint exercises. And again the frequency of training is sub optimal for both strength and mass gains.

I would go with a different program.
    Alright I really appreciate it man, so what type of programs are you suggesting? I'm looking to gain muscle mass with losing a bit of body fat to really help those muscles pop.

I need about tree fiddy davisj3537's Avatar
    davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Brandon0523 View Post
    Alright I really appreciate it man, so what type of programs are you suggesting? I'm looking to gain muscle mass with losing a bit of body fat to really help those muscles pop.
    Just like everyone else that has ever gotten into fitness. lol

Just run any 3xweek full body beginner program. Beginner has nothing to do with it being easy. They're hard and will get you the fastest results. There are a few stickied in the workout program section. Good luck.
    Experience, not just theory