Ridley7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking Intermittent Fasting

hi guys,

New to the forum and I'm about to begin training to change my physique. I know how important dieting is so I'm after advice, personal experience etc.

I'm currently around 14st 2 lbs, 5ft 9in and 22 years old. My goal is to weigh around 13st but with lean muscle.

I'm pretty much a beginner when it comes to the gym, I've sorta got a training program for the gym sorted however it's the diet I'm contemplating.

I've researched intermittent fasting and I think I could cope. I don't really eat whilst at work, it's pretty much when I get home and the evening time that ****s my diet up! However with intermittent fasting they say around 16hrs a day fasting for a male is about right??

I was thinking of sleeping 8hrs and work for 8hrs? So pretty much have my last meal around 8-9pm and then fast until around 6pm the following day? Meals would consist of lean protein vegetables etc. Aiming for around 1800 cals a day?

Maybe have a refeed on a Saturday but nothing too stupid?

I could be talking absolute **** for all I know, but any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers

gleb6666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've had amazing results with intermittend fasting. It is a great tool to stick to your daily calories and not to overeat. Before your first meal, try to get a good workout done with some BCAA. I recommend heavy weight lifting (start a program like stronglifts 5x5) or do a walk for an hour on non lifting days.

Intermittent fasting is supposed to increase insulin resistance and growth hormone production. Good luck with it.

Thanks for the the reply!

I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do for me. Out of interest how long was it before you started to notice any changes?

kevsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Intermittent fasting is great. But looks like your calories are a bit low. Usually around 12 calories per lb daily is a good enough deficit.
    http://musclereview.net/intermittent-fasting/

escape7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey, good luck on your goal!

I too am doing IF (16:8) for the last 3 weeks. Have been able to achieve a weight loss of 1.4 lb a week.

I eat at 1.00 PM and then have dinner before 9.00 PM (2 big meals around 600 Cal each and snack in between around 300-400 Cal). I am also doing Heavy Weight training during the weekdays and skating for like 2 hrs on weekends.

Have been eating clean in general but I do treat myself to a burger/pizza once a week. I just ensure it is within the caloric requirements.

Originally Posted by escape7 View Post
    Hey, good luck on your goal!

I too am doing IF (16:8) for the last 3 weeks. Have been able to achieve a weight loss of 1.4 lb a week.

I eat at 1.00 PM and then have dinner before 9.00 PM (2 big meals around 600 Cal each and snack in between around 300-400 Cal). I am also doing Heavy Weight training during the weekdays and skating for like 2 hrs on weekends.

Have been eating clean in general but I do treat myself to a burger/pizza once a week. I just ensure it is within the caloric requirements.

It's really good to hear other people having positive effects with IF! Even after the first week I feel a lot less bloated and a bit more alert. My training begins next Tuesday and I'm hoping to gain some lean muscle whilst dropping body fat. Bit of a newby in the gym but I've found a workout to stick to which seems do-able. My only problem is my form may be off but I'm sure I'll learn as I go!

Registered User anthonyhornbeck's Avatar
    anthonyhornbeck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have great results as well from fasting. You should definitely run while fasting. You'll be burning calories you haven't put in your system recently!

JackLawes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by gleb6666 View Post
    I've had amazing results with intermittend fasting. It is a great tool to stick to your daily calories and not to overeat. Before your first meal, try to get a good workout done with some BCAA. I recommend heavy weight lifting (start a program like stronglifts 5x5) or do a walk for an hour on non lifting days.

Intermittent fasting is supposed to increase insulin resistance and growth hormone production. Good luck with it.
    Hey man, I'm also new, I'm still exploring the site and forum (too much info for me!). Goal is body fat from 33% to at least 14% this year. Heard IF helps, but also heard pumping muscles use mostly glycogen thehealthsciencesacademy.org/health-tips/fasting-and-training so i'm totally confused!

You say BCAA help, how much and when exactly should I take them??

Cheers

I've been taking mine post workout. Apparently they help the muscle with the intake of protein. So I workout, have my protein shake and then about 30 mins later have my bcaa's.

Would 5x5 help with muscle definition? I've heard that type of program focus's mainly on strength?

Registered User ryanbrowning115's Avatar
    ryanbrowning115 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Ridley7 View Post
    hi guys,

New to the forum and I'm about to begin training to change my physique. I know how important dieting is so I'm after advice, personal experience etc.

I'm currently around 14st 2 lbs, 5ft 9in and 22 years old. My goal is to weigh around 13st but with lean muscle.

I'm pretty much a beginner when it comes to the gym, I've sorta got a training program for the gym sorted however it's the diet I'm contemplating.

I've researched intermittent fasting and I think I could cope. I don't really eat whilst at work, it's pretty much when I get home and the evening time that ****s my diet up! However with intermittent fasting they say around 16hrs a day fasting for a male is about right??

I was thinking of sleeping 8hrs and work for 8hrs? So pretty much have my last meal around 8-9pm and then fast until around 6pm the following day? Meals would consist of lean protein vegetables etc. Aiming for around 1800 cals a day?

Maybe have a refeed on a Saturday but nothing too stupid?

I could be talking absolute **** for all I know, but any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers
    I have done my research on IF and think I am going to try it also. Any advice from people that have tried it would be great. Good luck to you bro.

Rich1143 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rich1143 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rich1143 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rich1143 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rich1143 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rich1143 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rich1143 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rich1143 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rich1143 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rich1143 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rich1143 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I only do IF on the weekends but it is getting increasingly easier to do as time goes on. My body is adjusting. I get that energy burst about 16 hours into my fast and I feel like I wanna go run a lap around my city lol.
    It can be tough for some of their sensitivity to low blood sugar is bad. Contrary to what some may say, IF is not a diet. And not starvation. It's how our ancestors ate. Most people who genuinely give IF a shot find it is highly effective.
    Dec 1 2014: 188.5 lbs
    Jan 05 2015: 178.5 lbs
    Feb 2 2015: 170 lbs
    June 22 2015: 167.5 lbs

AgelessSoul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think the question is what does your body respond to most favorably. IF may work wel for fat loss but can you achieve the same amount of fat loss yet preserve lean body mass with conventional dieting? Also will there be a rebound effect if and when you cease?
    I am looking at it from this perspective because I don't do well with IF due to moderate to excessive hypoglycemia when my insulin is not kept consistent.
    I tried it for health reasons but found the best approach is a steady more patient program that can be rolled into a long term lifestyle.

Cool

Originally Posted by ryanbrowning115 View Post
    I have done my research on IF and think I am going to try it also. Any advice from people that have tried it would be great. Good luck to you bro.
    You too man!

Originally Posted by Rich1143 View Post
    I only do IF on the weekends but it is getting increasingly easier to do as time goes on. My body is adjusting. I get that energy burst about 16 hours into my fast and I feel like I wanna go run a lap around my city lol.
    It can be tough for some of their sensitivity to low blood sugar is bad. Contrary to what some may say, IF is not a diet. And not starvation. It's how our ancestors ate. Most people who genuinely give IF a shot find it is highly effective.
    Totally agree with you! Like any habit, it becomes second nature after time. I've had good results fasting so far, I've dropped around 5% body fat in a month of fasting properly and feel so much more energised!

Originally Posted by AgelessSoul View Post
    I think the question is what does your body respond to most favorably. IF may work wel for fat loss but can you achieve the same amount of fat loss yet preserve lean body mass with conventional dieting? Also will there be a rebound effect if and when you cease?
    I am looking at it from this perspective because I don't do well with IF due to moderate to excessive hypoglycemia when my insulin is not kept consistent.
    I tried it for health reasons but found the best approach is a steady more patient program that can be rolled into a long term lifestyle.
    My body seems to be really reactive to what I eat, which I'm guessing has something to do with my metabolism. After a week or so of fasting I feel a lot more slim, although the scales say I've dropped maybe 1-2 pounds it really feels like a lot more! I'm currently 2 months into a pretty basic workout regime so I can see results coming, however I havent been doing either gym or IF long enough to see if I can retain what lean muscle I make, but hopefully will have answers soon. I understand what you say and that IF may not work for everyone, as we all react to different things in different ways. Only time will tell!

Update

Quick update for anyone that's interested in results of IF. I'm now around 3 month into a gym and IF routine. 3-4 workouts a week and trying to maintain around 1800 calories a day. I was around 25% body fat in late Jan, I'm now 20% and 3 pound lighter. Not as much weight lost as I would like, but at the same time I've made some lean muscle, which I can definitely see/feel the difference. Obviously this muscle will reflect as weight on the scale but overall I'm pretty happy with the results! I know your probably more likely to drop body fat quicker when its as high as mine was, but progress is progress and that's what's motivating me!