Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    StrongBigLean is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StrongBigLean is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StrongBigLean is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StrongBigLean is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StrongBigLean is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StrongBigLean is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StrongBigLean is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StrongBigLean is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StrongBigLean is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StrongBigLean is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StrongBigLean is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Finally starting to eat all the required food.

Today (and for the next week) I'm eating:

~530g of Rump Beef Steak (700g Raw ~ 530g Cooked)
    200g of peanuts
    8 organic weetbix
    1 L of whole milk

Managed find a wholesalers for the rump beef steak ($12/kg AUD)
    The peanuts are from the supermarket ($8.90/kg) but i found a wholesaler who i'll visit on monday and can get them at $5.70/kg
    I don't want to buy bulk milk and freeze it but would like to find a place where I could fill up milk bottles I bring. Buying a new disposable plastic bottle each time I buy milk is a waste. The milkman should never have been phased out.
    I believe there are markets where I could buy bulk weetbix but hopefully they'll be organic.

But i'm getting ahead of myself, the main thing to focus on now is eating this food everyday. Shouldn't be too hard.

Cheers,

StrongBigLean

StrongBigLean is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StrongBigLean is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StrongBigLean is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StrongBigLean is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StrongBigLean is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StrongBigLean is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StrongBigLean is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StrongBigLean is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StrongBigLean is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StrongBigLean is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StrongBigLean is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Just bought a set of scales. Weigh 77kg

from 22/9/15 to 24/10/15 I completed a 5 week cycle of All Pro's Simple Beginner Routine.

My heavy weights were:

Squats 40 kg
    Bench Press 40 kg
    Bent Over Row 40 kg
    Overhead Press 20 kg
    Stiff Legged Deadlift 50 kg
    Curls 25 kg
    Calf Raises 15 kg

I completed all the reps for each day during the 5 week cycle so have increased the weight for all of them. Tomorrow I start week 2 of the next cycle

Been consistently eating approximately 530 g of beef, 200g of peanuts, 1 L of milk and 8 weetbix. Eat this amount pretty consistently, but I do sometimes fail to do so. Probably averaging 6 of every 7 days i manage to eat all of that which I am quite happy with. A hard part has been fitting in some veg and fruit. Can't eat nearly as much fruit and veg as i used to. I used to eat a lot. I've had a sniveling cold for the past 6 weeks or so that just hasn't gone away. Normally for me colds only last 3 days max. might be due to lack of fruit and veg. But its not a full blown cold, it's a little snivel in the morning, sometimes i need to blow my nose and sometimes not, and then it usually goes away for the rest of the day. So it's like a semi-cold. Weird. May see doctor about it soon.

Outside gym+food I've seeing a nice Japanese woman and we get along really well.

Cheers,

StrongBigLean

did one rep max testing with some friends today. So great to a) do a workout with mates since i usually workout solo b) find my limits and break through them.

Managed to record the following 1 rep maxes which are all PBs for me since I've never done them before:
    Deadlift 107.5 kg
    Bench 71 kg
    Squat 90 kg

I believe i could've done more with the squat as I did 90 kg fairly comfortably but we ran out of time.

Although for the foreseeable future I will continue with All Pro's Simple Beginner Routine (which involves 8-12 reps) I would like to explore all the different aspects of weight training (strength, hypertrophy and endurance). Just from doing All Pro's Simple Beginner Routine I believe I will get much stronger but I'd like to keep testing my one rep max and by the end of 2016 I'd be well satisfied if my Deadlift and Bench records had increased by 20 kg and if my Squat had increased by 30 kg

Completed a 5 week cycle of All Pro's Simple Beginner Routine.

My heavy weights were:

Squats 42.5 kg
    Bench Press 42.5 kg
    Bent Over Row 42.5 kg
    Overhead Press 22.5 kg
    Stiff Legged Deadlift 52.5 kg
    Curls 27.5 kg
    Calf Raises 17.5 kg

Completed a 5 week cycle of All Pro's Simple Beginner Routine.

My heavy weights were:

Squats 45 kg
    Bench Press 45 kg
    Bent Over Row 45 kg
    Overhead Press 25 kg
    Stiff Legged Deadlift 55 kg
    Curls 30 kg
    Calf Raises 20 kg

Completed reps for all but curls. Putting the rest up by 2.5 kg and am putting curls back down to 27.5 on the next cycle and will do the reps very slowly as per Scooby's video on how to do curls (link in All Pro Simple Beginner Routine thread). Then next cycle will try 30 kg again but very slowly and if still can't do it then will try to obtain some micro weights so I can try 28 kg or 28.5 kg

Eating going really well. 6 or 7 days a week eating the required food. very consistent.

Next want to starting eating beans to get some protein so i'm not having so much meat and am getting more nutrients from vegetables.

Cheers for reading,

StrongBigLean

Hi,

I'm re-starting this journal after an absence of nearly 3.5 years.

I've got a new free weight home gym.

I'm also recovering from a wrist injury so taking it relatively easy.

This morning I weighed in at 72 kg after breakfast.

I did one set of each exercise:

bench press 45kg - reps 6
    squat 40 kg - reps 8
    shoulder press 20 kg - reps 10
    row 30 kg - reps 10
    barbell curl 20 kg - reps 16
    calf raise 10kg Left - reps 15; Right - reps 15

non weights:

pushups 20
    pullups 8
    dips 1
    squats 20
    situps 20

Cheers,

StrongBigLean

nofacebook is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nofacebook is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nofacebook is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nofacebook is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nofacebook is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nofacebook is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nofacebook is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nofacebook is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nofacebook is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nofacebook is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nofacebook is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    In for comeback.

Originally Posted by no******** View Post
    In for comeback.
    Thanks no********

Today:

weigh in 72 kg

One set per exercise

dips 3

squat 40 kg reps 6 (down from 8 day before)
    barbell curl 25 kg reps 12
    shoulder press 20 kg - reps 16
    row 30 kg - reps 16
    bench press 42.5 kg reps 8 (lower weight than day before)
    calf raise 20kg Left - 15 reps ; Right - 12 reps

Cheers,

StrongBigLean

Today:

weigh in 73 kg

One set per exercise

bench press 42.5 kg reps 9
    row 35 kg reps 16
    shoulder press 22.5 kg reps 11
    barbell curl 25 kg reps 12
    calf raises 20 kg left - 15 reps; right - 15 reps
    squat 40 kg reps 12

pushups 24
    pullups 8

Cheers,

StrongBigLean

weigh in 72 kg

squats 40 kg reps 13
    row 35 kg reps 8 (less than yesterday)
    barbell curl 25 kg reps 13
    calf raises 20 kg left - 15 reps; right - 15 reps
    shoulder press 22.5 kg reps 12
    bench press 42.5 kg reps 8 (less than yesterday)

Cheers,

StrongBigLean

weigh in 73 kg

Bench Press 42.5 kg reps 10
    Row 35 kg reps 16
    Shoulder Press 22.5 kg reps 13
    Calf Raises 20 kg left - 15 reps; right - 15 reps
    Barbell Curl 25 kg reps 14
    Squats 40 kg reps 7 (less than yesterday)

Cheers,

StrongBigLean

weigh in 71 kg

Squats 40 kg reps 14
    Barbell Curl 25 kg reps 15
    Row 40 kg reps 8
    shoulder press 22.5 kg reps 13 (same as yesterday)
    Bench Press 42.5 kg reps 5 (less than yesterday)

Body weight exercises:

Situps reps 30
    Pushups reps 18 (less than last time)
    Squats reps 30
    Pullups reps 12
    Dips reps 1 (less than last time)

Cheers,

StrongBigLean

weigh in 72 kg

bench press 42.5 kg reps 10
    row 40 kg reps 9
    shoulder press 22.5 kg reps 14
    barbell curl 25 kg reps 15 (same as yesterday)
    squats 40 kg reps 15

Cheers,

StrongBigLean

weigh in 71 kg

squat 40 kg reps 4 (less than yesterday)
    barbell curls 25 kg reps 16
    row 40 kg reps 10 (not sure if form is correct)
    shoulder press 22.5 kg reps 11 (less than yesterday)
    bench press 42.5 kg reps 9 (less than yesterday)

rest day tomorrow

Cheers,

StrongBigLean

I've been researching workout programs by reading the sticky posts in the workout program sub-forum since I figured that was a good place to start.

I've learnt a few things, had some realisations (I think) and have other unanswered questions.

An overview of the notes I've taken:

---

*AllPro Simple Beginner Routine
    3 day per week program

Rest Days: Cardio and abs

crunches

*The Vikings Bare Bones Series
    New exercises to learn, might not be able to do all on my home gym
    Has 3, 4 and 5 days per week programs.

*Beginner Powerbuilding routine by grouchyjarhead
    I believe powerbuilding is more focused on strength compared to bodybuilding, is this true?
    Since I'm a beginner, any lifting of weight would probably be quite beneficial.

*Growth Stimulus Training
    Combines core lifts and supplements lifts
    8 day cycle with 4 on and 4 off
    7 day cycle with 4 on and 3 off
    7 day cycle with 3 on and 4 off

*Full Body Routines vs Splits
    As a beginner I think I should start with a full body routine like AllPro's Simple Beginner Routine, however, I would like to change things up and try other workout routines so that my body doesn't become too used to a certain routine (I've heard that can happen, is that true?) and also just to stimulate my brain to learn new exercises and set/rep regimes so I don't get bored of working out.
    In other words, I would like to try split routines even if my body does not necessarily require the extra days to recover for each given exercise just because I'd like to try them out of interest.
    A slightly different point is that I may prefer my workouts to be shorter simply out of convenience because I have other priorities in my life.

*"Fierce 5" Novice Routine
    3 workouts per week

---

Previously I have done the AllPro simple beginner routine.
    However I'm not sure if I did it well since I stalled a lot where I couldn't increase the weight or number of reps.
    However, I believe I also wasn't doing so well with eating and sleeping so that could've been a major factor.
    However, *"Fierce 5" Novice Routine mentions stalling as if it's a natural thing that everyone goes through and that there are certain strategies to deal with it such as a) reducing the weight by 15%; b) taking a break for 4-7 days. I could try these things next time I stall.

I have of course heard of bulking and cutting but never really applied it to myself as I've never significantly put on any weight and bulked up at all.
    That will change this time round and so I will need to learn about bulking and cutting and how to workout/eat/sleep during those times for the bulk/cut to be effective.

Next I will learn about nutrition and sleep and then start AllPro's simple beginner routine again.

Cheers,

StrongBigLean

weigh in 74 kg

shoulder press 22.5 kg reps 15
    row 40 kg reps 11 (next time try for 13)
    barbell curl 27.5 kg reps 8 (next time try for 10)
    squats 40 kg reps 16

Best day since re-starting weightlifting

The rest day yesterday helped

Cheers,

StrongBigLean

weigh in 73 kg

squat 42.5 kg reps 8 (next time try for 10)
    bench press 42.5 kg reps 10 (next time do 25% and 50% warmup)
    shoulder press 22.5 kg reps 16 (next time 25 kg)
    row 40 kg reps 13 (next time try for 15)
    barbell curl 27.5 kg reps 10 (next time try for 12)

Cheers,

StrongBigLean

Do the Right Thing! AbdullahYousuf's Avatar
    AbdullahYousuf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AbdullahYousuf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AbdullahYousuf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AbdullahYousuf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AbdullahYousuf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AbdullahYousuf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AbdullahYousuf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AbdullahYousuf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AbdullahYousuf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AbdullahYousuf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AbdullahYousuf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by StrongBigLean View Post
    I've been researching workout programs by reading the sticky posts in the workout program sub-forum since I figured that was a good place to start.

I've learnt a few things, had some realisations (I think) and have other unanswered questions.

An overview of the notes I've taken:
    Some good notes there.

I'm a beginner to lifting as well. I didn't look at the programs in the stickies though.

I had came across Stronglifts 5x5 a while ago, and I decided to start with that.

Best of luck
    Visit my StrongLifts 5x5 training log:
    https://rebrand.ly/MyTrainingLog

Originally Posted by AbdullahYousuf View Post
    Some good notes there.

I'm a beginner to lifting as well. I didn't look at the programs in the stickies though.

I had came across Stronglifts 5x5 a while ago, and I decided to start with that.

Best of luck
    Thanks AbdullahYousuf, I'll check out your training log and the stronglifts 5x5 program and perhaps add it in to a rotation of programs that I'll do.

weigh in 72 kg

bench press 10 kg reps 11
    bench press 20 kg reps 11
    bench press 42.5 kg reps 11

barbell curl 27.5 kg reps 12 (next time try for 14)
    row 40 kg reps 15
    shoulder press 25 kg reps 8 (next time try for 10)
    squat 42.5 kg reps 10 (next time try for 13)

pushups reps 30
    situps reps 40
    pullups reps 16
    squats reps 40
    dips reps 4

Cheers,

StrongBigLean

weigh in 74 kg

squat 42.5 kg reps 13 (next time do 13 again but focus on form more)
    shoulder press 25 kg reps 10 (next time try for 12)
    row 40 kg reps 16 (next time 42.5 kg)
    barbell curl 27.5 kg reps 14 (next time try for 16)

bench press 10 kg reps 12
    bench press 20 kg reps 12
    bench press 42.5 kg reps 5

Cheers,

StrongBigLean

weigh in 73 kg

barbell curl 27.5 kg reps 16 (start from 8 again and make sure I have good SLOW form)
    row 42.5 kg reps 8
    shoulder press 25 kg reps 9
    squat 42.5 kg reps 2

Cheers,

StrongBigLean

weigh in 74 kg

6:36am

squat 42.5 kg reps 13
    barbell curl 27.5 kg reps 8
    row 42.5 kg reps 10
    shoulder press 25 kg reps 10

bench press 42.5 kg reps 11

7:03am

Cheers,

StrongBigLean

Magarica will become famous soon enough. (+50) Magarica will become famous soon enough. (+50) Magarica will become famous soon enough. (+50) Magarica will become famous soon enough. (+50) Magarica will become famous soon enough. (+50) Magarica will become famous soon enough. (+50) Magarica will become famous soon enough. (+50) Magarica will become famous soon enough. (+50) Magarica will become famous soon enough. (+50) Magarica will become famous soon enough. (+50) Magarica will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    the nice motivation you got there. Try starting a business

Originally Posted by Magarica View Post
    the nice motivation you got there. Try starting a business
    Thanks Magarica, perhaps one day

weigh in 73 kg

bench press 42.5 kg reps 12

shoulder press 25 kg reps 12
    row 42.5 kg reps 13
    squat 42.5 kg reps 6

Cheers,

StrongBigLean

weigh in 72 kg

squat 42.5 kg reps 16
    barbell curl 27.5 kg reps 9
    row 42.5 kg 8
    shoulder press 25 kg reps 13

bench press 10 kg reps 8
    bench press 22.5 kg reps 8
    bench press 45 kg reps 8

Cheers,

StrongBigLean

I've been reading the stickies in the nutrition forum and found the following information for myself from the thread Calculating Calories and Macros - How to https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=173439001

TDEE
    https://www.freedieting.com/calorie-calculator

me: 29years, male, 72.4kg, 178cm, exercise level: daily

2623 Cal/day

add say 300 Cal per day(?) to TDEE

2923 Cal/day

weigh self after toilet every morning

Monitor weight on 7 day moving average or weekly average

If weight not increasing, add more calories

suggested weight gain rate: 1 kg per month.

0.7g of protein per pound of bodyweight
    0.4g of fat per pound of bodyweight

me: 72.4 kg 159.6 lb
    112g of protein (0.7*159.6)
    64g of fat (0.4*159.6)
    38g of fibre
    500g of fruit and veg

meal frequency: 3-6 protein containing meals (shakes/snacks) spread over the day

micronutrients
    https://cronometer.com/?sscid=71k3_k5h1v

///////////////

So based on the advice of that thread it says I should eat 0.7g of protein per pound of total bodyweight (not lean bodyweight).

I feel like this is too low based on previous stuff I've read and few other threads I've read.

Is it too low? should it be more like 1g or 1.5g or 2g protein per pound of total bodyweight?

Bare in mind my goal is to put on muscle, I'm currently 72.4 kg and 178cm, I'm fairly skinny but not extremely skinny.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by StrongBigLean; 07-29-2019 at 06:06 AM.

weigh in 71.5 kg

bench press 10 kg reps 9
    bench press 22.5 kg reps 9
    bench press 45 kg reps 7 (lower than before)

row 42.5 kg reps 16
    barbell curl 27.5 kg reps 6 (lower than before)
    shoulder press 25 kg reps 10 (lower than before)
    squat 45 kg reps 4

Cheers,

StrongBigLean

weigh in 71.5 kg

squat 25 kg reps 8
    row 45kg reps 8
    shoulder press 25 kg reps 14

bench press 10 kg reps 9
    bench press 45 kg reps 7

Cheers,

StrongBigLean

weigh in 73 kg

bench press 10 kg reps 9
    bench press 45 kg reps 8

row 45 kg reps 10
    shoulder press 25 kg reps 8
    barbell curl 27.5 kg reps 9
    squat 45 kg reps 10

Cheers,

StrongBigLean