Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Strong Mind, Strong Body. LoganBrown's Avatar
    LoganBrown is a name known to all. (+5000) LoganBrown is a name known to all. (+5000) LoganBrown is a name known to all. (+5000) LoganBrown is a name known to all. (+5000) LoganBrown is a name known to all. (+5000) LoganBrown is a name known to all. (+5000) LoganBrown is a name known to all. (+5000) LoganBrown is a name known to all. (+5000) LoganBrown is a name known to all. (+5000) LoganBrown is a name known to all. (+5000) LoganBrown is a name known to all. (+5000)

LoganBrown's journey to better physique, better health, and better overall life

LoganBrown's Journey into the Fitness and Bodybuilding Community
    What's up guys, I've been lurking these forums since 2011 but have never posted consistently. However, I feel it's time for a change! Originally I had this thread in the contest prep forum, but decided to move it here to the contest prep journals forum. I plan to start logging not only my bodybuilding off-season but also my journey into the fitness world in general. I want to eventually become a well known name in the fitness world and be an established personal trainer. A little background/story about my journey so far: As a kid, I was actually very athletic, strong willed, and hard working. There was definitely a lot of potential.. I played baseball and football along with a martial art called Soo Bahk Do and excelled in all of them.. However, That all stopped after I lost both my dad and grandpa at the age of 9.. After that happened, I just seemed to shut down and forget the strong willed kid I once was. I stopped trying in all the sports I played and eventually ended up quitting all together. The next 7 years were pretty much nothing but video games and junk food and weight gain. Sports didn't matter, school didn't matter, and I didn't care about much of anything from age 9-16; I just played video games and ate, eventually blowing up 225 lbs at 14 years old and 5'4" tall. People picked on me every day and called me all sorts of fat names, so I became even more of a recluse over the next few years and only went to school because I had to. I never participated in anything and felt like I was the biggest loser in our school; even in our town. Around the age of 16 I grew tired of all the bullying, being the most fat and out of shape between me and my friends and family, and being generally looked down upon by everyone. I realized that I was capable of more and that I could turn things around for myself if I truly wanted. Since then, I started pumping on the gas and haven't looked back. I hit the weight room hard, started running, and eating "healthy" which resulted in a 70 lb weight loss over the course of my sophomore year of high school. Well I say I started pumping the gas.. Lol more like spinning my wheels and learning what NOT to do in the weight room and with my diet. I was hooked on the weight room after that and haven't even thought of looking back. I Been lifting for about 3 years, but never took it or my diet too seriously up until last spring when I decided to compete in a Men's Physique show. I somewhat knew my body and how it responded to things, but I've still got a longggggg way to go. I dieted from 185 lbs at 16-17% body fat to 162 lbs at probably 9-10% body fat for my show. I'll post up some pictures later on when I get to a laptop. I ended up taking 3rd (out of 3, sadly) so I decided its time to truly get serious and start training smarter and get my diet in check which is what is leading to this log!

A little bit about my life right now.. I am currently a sophomore in college majoring in communications and business. I live in a small town of 1500 in Oklahoma and am commuting to Rogers State University. I'm eventually wanting to move to Knoxville, Tennessee and start attending the University of Tennessee. As of right now, I'm actually enrolled in 18 hours of school next semester and work 25 hours per week waiting tables at a local Pizza Hut. I'm excited to see how I can handle balancing out my training, school, work, church, and my relationships. That's another reason I created this log.. To help keep myself on track with what is looking to be one helluva hectic schedule. I've seen how supportive this community is and I'm excited to be getting involved in it.

My eventual goal is to step back on the Men's Physique stage here in the next 3-5 years and win my IFPA pro physique card. This off-season will be dedicated to putting on some solid mass and raising my caloric maintenence as high as possible so my next prep will not be near as rough.

For the past 5 weeks, I've been working with my coach Corbin Pierson (xclassic10 here on the forums) who I'm sure many of y'all are familiar with! I decided to start working with him after I had a horrible post show rebound and let my body fat get too high. Since I've started working with him, I dropped 10 lbs and got my body fat back down to a reasonable level and we are going to start focusing on slowly raising my calories very soon. I feel like working with Corbin, feeling a new sense of motivation after my competition, and consistently updating this log will lead to my best off-season yet! It's about time for some gainsss! If anyone has any pointers for me about training, nutrition, or life in general then feel free to share. I love hearing other opinions that can help.Here are my stats to begin:

Weight: 170-171
    Height: 5'8"
    Body Fat %: Roughly 12-14% (not the best at estimating)
    Waist: 30 inches
    Arms: 15 inches
    Legs: 23 inches
    Shoulders: 47.5 inches
    Chest: 39.5 inches

Current Macros:
    1907 Calories: 185P/195C/43F
    Weekly Refeed at 175P/270C/38F

Routine (This routine is not set in stone, I'm simply testing things out to see how it will work for this upcoming off-season):

Day 1: Legs
    High Bar squat: 5x5 with linear progression until I stall
    Hack Squat: 3x8-10
    RDL: 3x10-12
    Lunges: 2x10-12 each leg
    GHR: 2x15-20

Day 2: Push A (Chest Focus)
    Incline Bench Press: 5x5 with linear progression until I stall
    Seated DB Press: 3x6-8
    Weighted Dips: 3x10-12
    Lateral raises: 4x15-20
    Cable crossovers: 3x15-20
    Close Grip Bench Press: 3x10
    Tricep push down: 3x10

Day 3: Pull
    3 sets pull-ups, 3 sets chin-ups alternating each set x10 reps
    Barbell Rows: 5x5 linear progression until I stall
    Rack Pulls: 3x6-8
    V-bar pulldown: 3x10-12
    DB Rows: 3x12-15
    Alternating DB curls: 3x10
    Hammer curls: 3x10

Day 4: Rest

Day 5: Legs (same as before)

Day 6: Push B (Shoulder Focus)
    OHP: 5x5 with linear progression until I stall
    Incline DB press: 3x6-8
    Upright Row: 3x10-12
    Dips: 3x15 body weight
    Single standing DB press: 3x10
    Lateral raises: 4x15-20

Day 7: Pull (same as before)

This routine is somewhat high volume and frequency but I find that I respond best to this kind of training.

I was on my push B workout today so I will begin my log with that.

OHP set 1: 115x5
    Set 2: 120x5
    Set 3: 125x5
    Set 4: 130x5
    Set 5: 115x5 (backoff set)

Incline DB press Set 1: 60x8
    Set 2: 60x8
    Set 3: 65x8

Wide Grip Upright Row set 1: 95x12
    Set 2: 105x12
    Set 3: 115x10

Dips: 3 sets of 15 body weight reps

Single arm standing DB Press: 3 sets of 12 reps with 40lb DB

Lateral raises with 20lb kettle bell: 4 sets of 20.

Still have 903 calories remaining for the day that I will hit using flexible dieting methods.
    Last edited by LoganBrown; 12-21-2014 at 11:38 AM.

LoganBrown is a name known to all. (+5000) LoganBrown is a name known to all. (+5000) LoganBrown is a name known to all. (+5000) LoganBrown is a name known to all. (+5000) LoganBrown is a name known to all. (+5000) LoganBrown is a name known to all. (+5000) LoganBrown is a name known to all. (+5000) LoganBrown is a name known to all. (+5000) LoganBrown is a name known to all. (+5000) LoganBrown is a name known to all. (+5000) LoganBrown is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I had a pretty good overall day. Started it off by over sleeping and being late to Church, but luckily I didn't miss out and got to be part of an awesome service. My best friend convinced me to start coming back in last June when I was going through a pretty rough time and I haven't stopped going since! Me and my best friend/lifting partner both go to this church so we usually go to church, get a good meal in, then hit the gym that afternoon. Today was pull day for me and went pretty smooth. I wasn't feeling too weak or too strong for that matter. Just another day grinding and maintaining strength while chipping away at the last bit of fat. Macros for today were spot on. Hit 195C/185P/43F on the dot. Overall I'd rate my day as a 7.

3 sets overhand/3 sets underhand pull-ups x 10 for warmup.

Barbell Rows: 5x5 with 185 (May switch to T-bar rows, I suffer from slight scoliosis and I feel this affects my left side and develops it unevenly when my spine torques. I never seem to have that problem with t-bar rows)

Rack Pulls
    Set 1: 275x8
    Set 2: 315x8
    Set 3: 325x8

V-bar pulldowns:
    Set 1: 140x12
    Set 2: 150x12
    Set 3: 160x10

DB Rows:
    Set 1: 65lb DB x 15
    Set 2: 65lb DB x 13

Alternating DB curls:
    3 sets of 10 w/ 35lb DB

Hammer curls:
    3 sets of 10 w/ 40lb DB

Did some core work at the end of this workout.

Dragon Flags (These kill my core like no other)
    3 sets of 8

Ab wheel Rollout:
    3 sets of 12

Off day today. May go in for some light work on the elliptical just to get blood flowing. Macros were changed to 1838 calories 185C/180P/42F today due to my weight stalling between 169-171. Looking forward to bulking again, but I know I need to get to a reasonable body fat first. I'm hoping to hit 10-11% bf then start slowly building from there. After being fat all my life, I'm tired of it and want to bulk up slowly and gain minimal fat. A little bit is inevitable I know, but I still want to keep it minimal.

Macros so far today are at 1130 calories with 57C/130P/40F. Will most likely have to keep my carb/protein sources low/no fat the rest of the day.

Yesterday and today's workouts were pretty good! I've decided to switch over to a variation of Layne Norton's PHAT routine as my bulk will be coming up very soon. My new routine looks like this:

Day 1: Lower Power
    Day 2: Upper Power
    Day 3: Rest
    Day 4: Lower Hypertrophy
    Day 5: Push Hypertrophy
    Day 6: Pull Hypertrophy
    Day 7: Rest

Yesterday was a lower Hypertrophy day.

1) 4 sets of 8-12 Reps High bar squat

Set 1: 225x12
    Set 2: 245x12
    Set 3: 255x12
    Set 4: 255x11 (Did one more, but it was more of a good-morning lol)

2) 3 sets of 8-12 Reps Hack Squat

Set 1: 185x8 (Felt weak as hell)
    Set 2: 165x12
    Set 3: 165x12
    Set 4: 170x12

3) 2 sets of 12-15 Leg Press

Set 1: 400x15
    Set 2: 450x15

Note: This is my first time back to doing leg press so I'm easing into the heavier weights slowly

4) 3 sets of 6-8 RDL

Set 1: 185x8
    Set 2: 195x8
    Set 3: 200x8

5) 2 sets of 12-15 GHR

Set 1: BW+25 x 15
    Set 2: BW+25 x 15

6) Super-set Leg extensions with leg curls until failure

3 sets

I know Physique competitors get a bad rap since the board shorts don't allow us to show leg development, but I still feel my legs are my best area. Here is a picture for reference.

http://imagecdn.bodybuilding.com/img...DEYT-610xh.jpg (I'm not sure how to embed images straight into the thread.. If someone were to let me know how that would be great!)

Today was push A Hypertrophy workout. One thing I took away from this workout was that my lockout strength is awful, lol definitely need to start hitting triceps harder and doing some more lockout type exercises.

1) 4 sets 8-12 Incline Bench Press

Set 1: 155x12
    Set 2: 165x10
    Set 3: 165x9
    Set 4: 165x8

2) Was supposed to Hammer Strength Decline Press, but gym was packed so I instead did weighted dips for 3 sets of 8-12

Set 1: BW+25x12
    Set 2: BW+25x12
    Set 3: BW+35x10

3) Seated DB Press 3x8-10

Set 1: 55lb DB's for 10
    Set 2: 55lb DB's for 10
    Set 3: 60lb DB's for 9

4: 2 sets of 15-20 reps cable crossovers

Set 1: 60x20
    Set 2: 70x17

5: Lateral Raises 4 sets of 15-20

All 4 sets were 20 reps done with the 20lb kettle bell, slow and controlled

6: Close Grip Bench Press 3 sets of 8 - 10

Set 1: 135x10
    Set 2:135x9
    Set 3: 135x7

Really struggled on the last set, triceps were already shot.

Tricep Pushdown w/ v-bar 3 sets of 12-15

Set 1: 120x15
    Set 2:120x15
    Set 3: 130x15

All in all, today's workout was good. I'd rate it a solid 7. Strength is definitely down since my last bulk, but I know I'll get back up there. Especially working with Corbin. Macros so far today are at 340 total calories with 40 Protein, 10 fat, and 22 carb. Leaving a lot of room for my family's Christmas Dinner tonight! Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas.

My Christmas Day workout was a pretty good one! It was my pull hypertrophy day but I didn't get to completely finish. Christmas dinner with family was at 4:00 and they live 2 hours away so getting up and opening presents then heading to my sister's house to open gifts there gave me little time. No biggie though, it's Christmas Day. I'm proud to say I ended up getting a small boat that I can't wait to break out this spring! I've always been a fisherman so I'm excited to really get out on the water now. Anyone else around love fishin?

Onto the workout.

3 sets overhand/3 sets underhand pull-ups x 10

Experimented with Pendlay Rows for 5x8-10 today

Set 1) 155x10
    Set 2) 165x10
    Set 3) 185x8
    Set 4) 185x8
    Set 5) 185x8

Note: I feel these much better than regular barbell rows. May incorporate them more often.

Worked out in a different gym that actually doesn't allow rack pulls so I switched to higher volume pulldowns.

V-bar pulldowns 4x12-15
    Set 1) 140x12
    Set 2) 130x15
    Set 3) 130x15
    Set 4) 140x12

Had to conclude the workout here, was already running late.

Later at dinner, I allowed myself some indulgence, but nothing over the top at all. It's Christmas Day and I'm not competing soon so I let off the gas for a bit to enjoy Christmas Day. It's all about finding balance between your bodybuilding life and personal life. I'm getting back on the horse today with diet though.

As stated in the title, this is not only my bodybuilding and fitness journey, it's my complete journey! So outside of training and diet, I've got a date tonight that I'm really looking forward to. Met her at my home gym last summer and finally worked up the nerve to ask her out. I've always been pretty shy and I'm working on killing that part of me so I'm taking it one step at a time. Will report back with how it goes on my next workout log! Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and is enjoying bowl season.

It's supposed to be a rest day but I figured I could at least make it an active rest day. Went to the gym and did a very light 30 minutes on the elliptical to get blood flowing. After that I hit some calves on the leg press machine for 6 sets of 20 using a technique a buddy showed me.. Do all 20 of your reps with a certain weight and then instead of racking the weight and resting, allow your calves to remain in a stretched position with the weight on them. After allowing your calves to rest in this sort of fashion for a bit, begin your next set. Never felt a burn like that in my calves before! Will probably stick with this for awhile when it comes to calf training.

Here is a little 6 week progress picture that shows my results from working with Corbin.
    http://imagecdn.bodybuilding.com/img...CYAG-610xh.jpg

Today was lower power day, and honestly my head just was not in the game today. For some reason, this tends to happen when I'm around a lot of people that I went to high school with. They're all home for the holidays and working out at my hometown gym. I'm trying to become a new person that is nothing like the person I was in high school. For the most part, I've transformed into a completely new person, but being around those people from your past can kind of make you feel like you're back in your old shoes. I guess that's all part of the journey. Anyways, onto the workout.

1) Heavy High Bar Squats 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps:
    Set 1: 270x5
    Set 2: 275x5
    Set 3: 280x4
    Set 4: 275x4

Was just weak today on squats. I've dropped 12 lbs these last 6 weeks so maybe that has something to do with it. My numbers haven't gone down, the weight is just starting to feel heavier.

Hack Squat: 2 sets 6-10 reps
    Set 1: 185x10
    Set 2: 205x8

Leg extension 3 sets 6-10 reps (emphasis on the contraction)
    Set 1: 115x10
    Set 2: 115x10
    Set 3: 130x10

RDL 3 sets 5-8
    Set 2: 185x8
    Set 3: 190x8

GHR: 2 sets 10-12
    Set 1: BW+25x12
    Set 2: BW+25x10

Despite my head not being in the game, I still went in and killed my legs. Consistency is the name of the game here. When your head is in the right area, go in and kill your workout. When your head isn't in the right area, plug in the headphones and just shut your brain off and kill your workout. Time to have my post workout meal and get packed for my road trip to Tennessee tomorrow.

By the way, my date to go see Christmas lights actually has the flu. So we are just putting a rain check on out date until I get back from Tennessee.

Hope everyone has a Happy New Year.

Off day today, on a road trip to Tennessee. Will resume my training tomorrow with Upper Power! Nothing like 12 hour car rides to keep you feeling restless. Doing my best to stick to my macros on this trip, especially since Corbin says that within 2-3 more weeks the lean bulk will begin and we can start really having some fun and making some gains!

Had an awesome time in Tennessee and took a little break from the bodybuilding scene.. It wasn't an intended break, but being around family and friends you haven't seen in a while makes it a bit hard to stay 100% on track, especially when it's the Holiday season. Having proper balance between bodybuilding and outside life is what will guarantee the most success in this sport. Don't focus so much on bodybuilding that it compromises other areas of your life. Had I been 100% focused on bodybuilding this trip, I never would have made some of the memories that I have now (like my first BIG college New Year's Party at UT) haha.

But anyway, this trip taught me a lot about life in general. Sometimes it's okay to just let loose and have fun even in a big group of people that you don't know; that's how lasting memories and great friends are made. In high school, I looked down on anyone who partied and thought they were throwing their life away in doing so.. The reality is that they were just living a little before the real world hits. Like anything else, if done in moderation, it's completely fine. I don't plan on going to that many big parties or going out every weekend, but I do plan on letting myself have fun every now and again and just enjoy these late teen/early 20's years that I will never get back. Again, it all boils down to balance! Other than my first big New Year's party (and first big hangover lol), there was a lot of family bonding time through watching football, playing board games/cards, and most importantly.. A lot of fishing! Me, my mom, and my uncle Tommy all went out on the boat on Saturday and caught a total of 51 crappie in the 35 degree weather with off and on drizzle.. Wouldn't have had it any other way! The next day I ended up catching a 25 lb catfish off of their dock and a few more crappie for good measure. After catching the crappie, we fried them and let me tell you.. If you haven't had fried crappie, you aren't living. All in all, it was an amazing trip where I learned a lot. The funny thing about the trip is that despite only lifting 2 days and not tracking calories, I still somehow stayed on track with my cut. I didn't go crazy and binge, I just made smarter choices. Once again, balance!

One thing that kind of came to my attention on this trip, however, is something I've been struggling with for the past few years. I've always been a kind of a reserved person and a bit more quiet than others. Not shy, just not 100% out there like others. I always felt the need to be more out there and be a bit of a louder person, but one thing that came to my attention on this trip was that you shouldn't fight who you are/try to be someone you're not. I'm not loud and boisterous and I used to beat myself up over this. But with 2015, I'm going to try something new.. Other New Year's resolutions in the past were to be more outgoing (I am now), but I've never set a resolution to simply accept myself for who I am. that's my main resolution/goal right there; accept myself for who I am, be who I am, and don't try to put on an act.

Another resolution I have also stems from another personal issue. All my life, I've been an underachiever; a kid with a lot of potential who simply didn't want to carry that weight. But from here on out, I want to achieve a lot more with my life. I want to be more than just a successful bodybuilder/personal trainer (although this comes first); I want to expand my horizons and become a more well-rounded person. when my time comes, I don't want to look back and realize I didn't live up my expectations/potential. Some goals for this year are to start working on my journey to being a bull-rider with my cousin Scott, compete in a Spartan Beast Race (12+ Miles) and eventually work my way up to the Spartan Death Race (50+ miles), learn to play guitar and sing, and get good grades this year in college. These are some bigger goals that I plan on reaching by having smaller goals as stepping stones to them. 2015 WILL be a good year. 2014 was a great year, but I want to top it in 2015!

Today, I'm getting back on the wagon and feeling more motivated than ever to make 2015 the best year yet! Back to my diet of 1800 calories with 180P/180C/42F and today will be pull Hypertrophy that I will log later on. Hope everyone had an awesome New Year!
    Last edited by LoganBrown; 01-06-2015 at 09:59 AM.

2015 definitely is not off to a strong start. My workouts have suffered since vacation. Mainly push and leg workouts. Pull hasn't been a big issue, but back has always been a strong point for me. But like I said, my strength is wayyyyyy down on push days and let days. Before vacation I was hitting 295x5 on squats, and today I was struggling to hit 275x4. I was also incline benching 190x5 and now I'm struggling to hit 175x3. I guess that is expected on a cut though.. I'm down to 168 and will soon start working calories back up and starting the off-season so the real gains can begin. Strength and mass gains. The past few workouts sucked like no other,but I can't dwell on it. Just have to keep moving on strong.

On a high note though.. I'll be going to see Garth Brooks performing live in Tulsa, Oklahoma for the first time in 17 (or is it 19?) tonight with family! I've heard he puts on one helluva show. Can't wait to go see him! Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Workout yesterday started feeling a bit more on track and like I'm starting to get the ball rolling again. Yesterday was upper power day and my numbers are getting back to where they were before vacation. The only thing that's been bothering me lately in these workouts is the sense of light-headedness/dizziness and a sense of blacking out for just a few seconds after nearly all my sets along with losing most of the color in my face and getting really pale. I'm Just chalking it up to low blood pressure for right now though; if it continues I may have it looked at. Onto yesterday's workout:

Pendlay Rows 3x3-5
    Set 1: 185x5
    Set 2: 195x5
    Set 3: 200x4

Loving these more and more each workout!

V-bar Pulldowns 3x8-10
    Set 1: 130x10
    Set 2: 140x10
    Set 3: 140x9

Really starting to focus on the full contraction and full ROM with these.

Took a short pause here.. Literally felt like I could have fainted lol. Got some Gatorade and rested for about 20 minutes then got back after it.

Incline Bench 3x3-5
    Set 1: 185x5
    Set 2: 185x5
    Set 3: 185x5

Flat Db Press 3x8-10
    Set 1: 65x10
    Set 2: 65x10
    Set 3: 70x8

Again, focusing really hard on proper form with these.

Seated DB OHP 3x6-10
    Set 1: 55x8
    Set 2: 55x8
    Set 3: 60x6

Wide grip Upright Row on Smith Machine 3x8-10
    Set 1: 95x10
    Set 2: 115x10
    Set 3: 125x10

Preacher Curls 3x8-10
    Set 2: 75x10
    Set 3: 75x8

Tricep Pushdown 3x8-10
    Set 2: 130x10
    Set 3: 140x9

On both the bicep and Tricep movement, I'm more concerned with quality of the rep rather than weight moved. I've always found my arms to respond better this way. There is also the fact that biceps are hit plenty with rowing/Pulldown and triceps are hit plenty with pressing, so they are also receiving plenty of stimulation there.

All in all, this workout was okay. Another drop in the bucket in the big scheme of things.. But those consistent day in and day out efforts are what produces results. There is no magic pill or potion; no magic food or program; no easy way out. Just relentless application of the basics day in and day out. Stay true to that path and you WILL find success.

Been a hella busy week with school starting back up and working. Haven't had the chance to log much. However, I got my wisdom teeth pulled yesterday so I'm pretty much just chilling for the rest of the weekend! Perfect time to update the log. Workouts this week were once again, just not my best. Idk what the deal is, training too often, Too much volume, Too much intensity while being on about 1700 calories per day? Could be anything. But that's what this sport is all about, learning your body and what works best. Luckily though, this is the last week of my cut. Gonna start slowly raising calories back up this week! Onto my workouts..

Lower Hypertrophy:
    Actually had a great lower HT workout.
    Squats 3-5 sets of 8-12
    Set 1: 240x12
    Set 2: 255x8
    Set 3: 265x6
    Set 4: 275x8 (Was pissed about set 3 so I bumped the weight to 275 and got my required reps!)

Hack Squat 3 sets 8-12
    Set 1: 185x12
    Set 2: 185x11
    Set 3: 195x9

RDL 3 sets 5-8
    Set 2: 205x8
    Set 3: 205x8

Leg Press 2x12-15
    Set 1: 400x15
    Set 2: 400x15
    More emphasis on contraction rather than weight with this exercise

Hamstring curls 2x15-20
    Set 1: 70x20
    Set 2: 60x20

Pull HT Workout:

Pendlay Rows 3-5 sets of 8-12
    Set 1: 165x12
    Set 2: 175x12
    Set 3: 185x10

V-Bar Pulldowns 3 sets 8-12
    Set 1: 140x12
    Set 2: 140x12
    Set 3: 150x12
    Contraction focus

DB Rows 3 sets of 12-15
    Set 1: 65x15
    Set 2: 65x15
    Set 3: 70x13

Straight arm Pulldown w/ rope 2 sets 15-20
    Set 1: 90x20
    Set 2: 90x17

DB curls 3 sets 10-12
    Set 1: 35x12
    Set 2: 35x12
    Set 3: 40x10

Hammer curls 3 sets 10-12
    Set 1: 30x12
    Set 3: 40x10

Push HT
    This is the workout that felt reallyyy off, once again.

Incline Bench 3-5 sets 8-12
    Set 1: 165x10
    Set 2: 165x8
    Set 3: 160x8

Flat DB Press 3 sets 8-12
    Set 1: 65x12

Seated DB OHP 3 sets 8-10
    Set 1: 50x10
    Set 2: 55x8
    Set 3: 55x8

Dips 3x15-20
    Sets 1-3: BWx20

Shoulder Width Upright Rows 3x10-12
    Set 1: 115x12
    Set 2: 120x12
    Set 3: 125x10

Cable Crossovers 3x15-20
    Set 1: 50x20
    Set 2: 60x17
    Set 3: 60x15

Overall, my push workouts suffer the most while cutting. Luckily, like I said before, this is my last week of cutting. Time to start making real progress!

My calories right now are 1740 with 175P/170C/40F. It's hell, but I'm managing. If I were to guess, I'd say I'm sitting at about 10-11% bf; the perfect place to begin raising calories. While I'm sure I won't be hitting high calories for a long time, I am glad that the calorie drops are done. Only going up from here. The next time I step on stage, I'm looking forward to bringing my best ever package and doing so on higher calories. Corbin is a great coach and there is no one else I would rather be working with. Hope everyone has a good weekend!

mhilliard44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mhilliard44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mhilliard44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mhilliard44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mhilliard44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mhilliard44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mhilliard44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mhilliard44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mhilliard44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mhilliard44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mhilliard44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I remember the week I got my wisdom teeth out, brutal lol. I don't blame ya. That low of calories, intensity is def going to be hard to keep up. Just do the best you can day in, day out.

Keep it up!
    2015 NANBF Pittsburgh Overall Champion

Originally Posted by mhilliard44 View Post
    I remember the week I got my wisdom teeth out, brutal lol. I don't blame ya. That low of calories, intensity is def going to be hard to keep up. Just do the best you can day in, day out.

Keep it up!
    Haha yeah man, for sure. Netflix has been my best friend this weekend. Back on that grind again tomorrow though. Luckily, I won't have to drop my calories this low again in the future. It sucks for sure, but I know it's for the best. I'd rather bulk from a lean base and have less fat to cut later on than bulk from a fatter base and have a longer cut!

No training today, still recovering from my wisdom teeth being removed. Just wanted to take the time to pay my respects to Greg Plitt. RIP to the America's top fitness model. He'll always be one helluva inspiration to me. It's sad that he had to die at such a young age. He left behind a legacy that won't soon be forgotten!

Been a few days since I posted, but I'm glad to say calories are finally starting to be tapered upwards and I've got a new off-season routine that I can't wait to get started tomorrow. Current calories are at 1825 with 175P/180C/45F and the training program is a bit long to list right now since I'm strapped for time. All I know is that I'm gonna be getting my ass kicked on this new program and I can't wait to see what kind of gains can be made! I took this entire week off due to my wisdom teeth being pulled, but like I stated before, back on the grind tomorrow. Surprisingly enough, my calories have increased but my weight has actually decreased. I'm sure that's not going to keep happening for long, but it's still nice to be on higher (but still low) calories and actually dropping weight from it. I'll be back on tomorrow to update the start of my new program. Let's see what kind of gains can be made!!!

Getting back in the gym after being out for a week felt amazing! This new program I'm running this off-season is going to give me the best gains I've ever gotten; I can feel it. The intensity of this program is through the roof and I definitely felt it today. It's time to start firing on all cylinders and start working toward getting on stage for the 1st time as a SERIOUS competitor. I've competed before, but had no idea what the hell I was doing and the amount of work one has to put in. I'll admit, I thought I could hang.. No way. The guys I was on stage with.. they made me feel like I didn't belong. Like those 2 were competing against each other and I was just some kid sharing the stage with them.. For some, that would break them, but for me it motivates me to build a champion caliber physique. I eventually plan on competing in the NANBF Oklahoma City Classic a few years down the line when it becomes a pro qualifier and will be gunning for my IFPA Pro Card in the Men's Physique Division. The past couple years it hasn't been a big show but I'm sure that's because it has only been around for 3 years now. I plan on giving it a couple more years to not only become a bigger show but also to give me the opportunity capitalize on the off-season gains and gun for that coveted pro card. The goal will be August of 2018 or 2019. Until then.. It's time to charge forward and hit this off-season with all I got. Onto today's workout...

Push Strength/Power

Incline Bench Press: 10 sets of 3 with 90-120 seconds rest between sets
    140x3 on all ten sets relatively easy. Will be gunning for 150 my next Push Power day.

Flat DB Press 3x6-8
    Set 1: 50x8
    Set 2: 60x8
    Set 3: 60x8

Pec Deck 4x8-10
    Set 1: 80x10
    Set 2: 80x10
    Set 3: 80x8
    Set 4: 70x10

***I'm using a different gym than my home gym and for some reason 80lbs on this pec deck machine felt HEAVY AS HELL. At my home gym I get 175-190 no problem.. At this gym just a mere 80 felt like 200.

Barbell Overhead Press 5x5-7
    Set 1: 95x7
    Set 2: 95x7
    Set 3: 95x7
    Set 4: 95x5
    Set 5: 95x5

Lateral Raises with DB 3x10-12
    Set 1: 25x12
    Set 2: 25x12
    Set 3 (experimented with trying them seated... MUCH better MMC and isolation): 20x10

Single Arm Dumbbell Skullcrushers 5x8-10
    Set 1: 20x10
    Set 2: 20x10
    Set 3: 20x10
    Set 4: 25x8
    Set 5: 20x8

Good workout today! I've always been a fan of high volume.. Today definitely had high volume. Back, Biceps, and Traps Hypertrophy today..

Pendlay Rows: 5x5 with 65-70% of normal 3RM:
    All 5 sets were done with 125lbs, focusing on a powerful and explosive concentric.

Cable Rows: 3x10-15
    Set 1: 120x12
    Set 2: 120x12
    Set 3: 130x11

Lat Pulldowns: 3x10-15
    Set 1: 130x15
    Set 2: 130x13
    Set 3: 130x13

*** My shoulder alignment is always WAYYY out of proportion on these... My left shoulder for some reason won't stay in one spot if that makes sense. My right scapula stays retracted but my left scapula/shoulder seems to want to pull forward and backward no matter how hard I focus on keeping it retracted. Couple that with the fact that I struggle with MMC in my left lat on these could lead to a problem.. Not sure if it's from muscle imbalances, spinal misalignment or what. May end up seeing a doctor about this.

Rear Delt DB Rows 3x10-12
    Set 1: 15x12
    Set 2: 15x12
    Set 3: 15x12

** Taking my time on these to really learn the form.

Close Grip Lat Pulldown 3x15-20
    Set 1: 120x17
    Set 2: 130x16
    Set 3: 130x16

Shrugs With DB's 3x12-15
    Set 1: 70x15
    Set 2: 70x15
    Set 3: 75x15

Barbell Curls 4x10-15
    Set 1: 45x15
    Set 2: 55x12
    Set 3: 55x10
    Set 4: 45x14

Cable Concentration Curl 4x15-30
    Set 1: 30x17
    Set 2: 30x15
    Set 3: 20x23
    Set 4: 20x22

I'd rate this workout a 6.5-7, primarily because of my shoulder issues on lat pulldowns and the mindgames that likes to play with me. I'm probably going to have it looked at soon.

I'm loving this new program I'm on. High volume, intensity, and frequency.. You don't beat that! I know some people such as Jeff Alberts and Matt Ogus prefer a more minimalistic and simple type of training program and they've made amazing gains on it, but for me personally I like the feeling of walking out of the gym knowing I crushed my workout and left nothing behind.

On a side note.. The weather out here in Oklahoma is AMAZING. Cool in the morning but warm in the afternoon. I personally am not a fan of the cold because it just causes my body to feel all stiff and achy and hinders my training. With the warmth, I feel much more limber and less achy. Another upside about the warm weather... is that if it stays this way, I'll hopefully be able to get started riding bulls soon. My cousin has started riding and since it has been a dream since I was little, I'll be riding with him this spring. The plan is to be riding bulls and power-lifting in the off-season and competing in Men's Physique during the contest season. That way I'll never be 100% out of competition.

Yesterday's workout was Legs Power/Strength
    Squats: 10x3
    All sets were easily done with 210. Will be bumping the weight to 220 next strength/power day.

Leg Press 3x6-8
    Set 1: 600x8
    Set 2: 600x8
    Set 3: 600x8

Leg Extension 3x8-10
    Set 3: 130x10

GHR 3x8-10
    Set 1: BW+25x10
    Set 2: BW+25x10
    Set 3: BW+25x10

Hip Adductors 2x10-12
    Set 1: 85x12
    Set 2: 85x12

Hip Abductors 2x10-12
    Set 1: 85x12
    Set 2: 85x12

DB Calf Raises (3 second concentric, 4 second eccentric) 3x6-10
    Set 1: 40lbx10
    Set 2: 40lbx10
    Set 3: 45lbx10
    Set 4: 45lbx10

I feel like I crushed today's workout. Got max reps on all sets and got the 10 sets of 3 with ease. I can't wait to see the kind of gains this off-season produces. In the weight room and outside the weight room.

Been busy as hell the past few days! Class from 9-2:30, then workout from about 3-4:30, then work from 5-11. Been kicking my ass but I'm still staying on track. It'll all be worth it. Onto the workout(s)

Chest/Shoulders/Triceps Hypertrophy

Incline Bench 5x5 with 65-70% of 3RM

120x5x5

Incline DB Press 3x10-15
    Set 1: 50x15
    Set 2: 50x13
    Set 3: 50x13 (got 2 more reps but they were a bit sloppy.. Didn't want to count them)

DB Upright Rows 3x10-12
    Set 3: 35x12

HS Chest Press 4x12-15
    Set 1: 45 on each side x15
    Set 2: 45+10 on each side x12
    Set 3: 45+5 on each side x12
    Set 4: 45 on each side x12

***My triceps started giving away on these. Despite only being 5'7 I've got a wingspan of 74 inches. Dem long arms make benching or pressing a pain.

Cable Crossovers 4x12-15
    Set 2: 50x15
    Set 3: 40x17
    Set 4: 40x13

Lateral Raises w/ Cable 3x12-20
    Set 1: 20x20
    Set 2: 30x15
    Set 3: 30x13

Straight Bar Pressdown 4x12-15
    Set 2: 120x15
    Set 3: 120x13
    Set 4: 120x12

Overhead DB Tricep Extension 3x12-15
    Set 1: 55x12
    Set 2: 55x14
    Set 3: 55x12

DB Skullcrusher 3x8-10
    Set 1: 20x8
    Set 2: 20x8
    Set 3: 20x8

Everything was fried by the end of this workout.. Loving this new program!

Pull Strength/Power Day

Pendlay Rows 10x3

140x10x3

Weighted Pull-ups 4x6-8

Set 1: Body Weight + 10 x8
    Set 2: Body Weight + 10 x7
    Set 3: Body Weight + 10 x7
    Set 4: Body Weight + 10 x6

T-Bar Rows 4x6-8
    Set 1: 45(2) + 25 x8
    Set 2: 45(2) + 25 x8
    Set 3: 45(2) + 25 x8
    Set 4: 45(2) + 25 x8

***My first time back to doing these in awhile so I decided to go light and really get the form correct and feel everything working properly.

Lat Pulldowns 2x6-10

*** I know I can go heavier, but like I stated earlier in the log, my shoulders are aligned weird or something and my left scapula will not stay evenly retracted.

DB Curls 3x6-8
    Set 1: 35x8
    Set 2: 35x8
    Set 3: 35x7

Preacher Curls 3x8-10
    Set 2: 65x9
    Set 3: 65x8

Overall it was a decent workout. My back is definitely one of my stronger and quick-responding body parts.

Calories are up to 1885 this week. 180P/190C/45F. Still low, but on the rise!

Now onto today's workout. Today's workout was the real killer... Leg hypertrophy day. Nothing kills the legs like high rep, ass to grass squats. Most people shy away at the thought of high rep leg training; I embrace it. There's no better feeling than walking out of the weight room knowing you left nothing in the tank!

Squats: 5x5 with 65-70% of normal 3RM

190x5x5

*** After getting squats out of the way, I figured I was going to breeze through my workout. HELL NO, these next 2 exercises absolutely taxed me.

Front Squats 4x10-15
    Set 1: 135x15
    Set 2: 135x15
    Set 3: 135x15
    Set 4: 135x15

** Light, I know. But when hitting 15 reps, it feels heavy as hell! This is my first time entering these rep ranges... It's a hell that I absolutely love.

Hack Squats 3x15-20
    Set 1: 135x20
    Set 2: 135x19
    Set 3: 135x11 (legs were spent at this point, I literally did not have any more in the tank)

** Once again, it's light but it creates a burn I've never felt before. I was blasting some Greg Plitt motivation throughout these sets and feeling like I was on a mission sent directly from God himself. Nothing was going to stop me from leaving everything behind in the weight room, even though I failed to get the required reps on set 3, I still hit complete and absolute failure. "If you don't burn out physically, you don't grow physically." -Greg Plitt

Leg Extensions 4x10-15
    Set 1: 75x12
    Set 2: 75x12
    Set 3: 86x11
    Set 4: 86x10

Lying Leg Curls 2x12-15
    Set 1: 96x15
    Set 2: 96x15

DB Stiff Legged Deadlift 2x12-20
    Set 1: 50lb DB'sx20
    Set 2: 50lb DB'sx20

Barbell Calf Raise 4x15-30
    Set 1: 95x30
    Set 2: 95x25
    Set 3: 95x25
    Set 4: 95x20

Overall, I would argue that this is my toughest workout to date even though I have been in the weight room for 3+ years now. Even tougher than 10 sets of 10 with 225lbs with 45 seconds rest, and I thought nothing would ever top that. I feel myself moving closer to my goals every day.. Slowly, but surely. The man who moves a mountain starts by moving pebbles.

Blahhh, stuck with a cold. I don't care how healthy of a lifestyle you live, you're bound to catch a cold sooner or later. I take my multi-vitamin, eat nutrient dense foods, work out consistently, and live a pretty clean lifestyle. But the cold is the one thing that catches us all no matter what seemingly. Good thing it isn't too severe and I'm not too deep into my new training program yet. If I were deeper into this program, I'd fear that my ability to lift heavy weights combined with high volume would be affected. But since I'm only on week 2 and the weights aren't too drastically heavy.. I think I'll be able to handle it just fine. Onto yesterday's workout.

Chest Triceps and Shoulders Strength/Power

Incline Bench Press 10x3, up 5 lbs since last workout.

145x10x3 (Easy again, I feel there will be a lot of progression before I stall out)

Flat DB Press 3x6-8
    Set 1: 60x8
    Set 2: 65x8
    Set 3: 70x6

Pec Deck 4x8-10
    Set 1: 60x10
    Set 2: 70x9
    Set 4: 60x9

*** Once again, I did this workout at my campus gym where the weight is heavy as hell for some reason.

Barbell Overhead Press 5x5-7
    Set 1: 95x7
    Set 2: 95x7
    Set 3: 95x7
    Set 4: 95x7
    Set 5: 95x9 (felt like grinding out a couple more

DB Lateral Raises 3x8-10
    Set 1: 25x10
    Set 2: 30x10
    Set 3: 30x10

DB Skullcrusher 5x8-10
    Set 2: 25x10
    Set 3: 25x10
    Set 4: 25x9
    Set 5: 25x8

So far the reverse diet has been going great! I'm up 140 calories and refeeding on 300 Carbs and still maintaining my weight and making progress in the weight room. I know it's 2.5 years away, but I'm already getting excited to see the package I will bring to the stage in August of 2017.

Yeah working out with a cold was a mistake, lol I feel completely and utterly awful now. I haven't gotten sick in over 3 years so I figured I'd be fine. The workout was good, but now Im running a fever and don't feel like moving an inch. Will most likely take tomorrow off and get back at it Monday. Lesson learned. Onto today's workout..

Pendlay Rows 5x5 with 65-70% of 3RM.

135x5x5

Cable Rows 3x10-15
    Set 2: 130x13
    Set 3: 140x11

Lat Pulldown 3x10-15
    Set 2: 120x14
    Set 3: 140x10

Rear Delt DB Row 3x8-12
    Set 1: 20x12
    Set 2: 20x12
    Set 3: 20x12

Close Grip Lat Pulldown 3x15-20
    Set 1: 120x20
    Set 2: 120x16
    Set 3: 120x11 (dropped to 100 and got 6 more)

DB Shrugs 3x15-30
    Set 1: 75x26
    Set 2: 75x25
    Set 3: 75x25

**grip kept giving out, will use straps next time

Barbell Curls 4x10-15
    Set 1: Barx15
    Set 2: Barx15
    Set 3: Barx15
    Set 4: 55x12

Cable Isolation Curls 4x15-30
    Set 1: 20x30
    Set 2: 20x30
    Set 3: 30x23
    Set 4: 30x17

Now it's time to crash. Hopefully I'm up to a workout tomorrow.
    Strong mind, strong body.

445 Squat/500 Dead/295 Bench

Should be my legs strength/power day, but decided to go ahead and take off to let my body recover from the cold I have. I tried lifting yesterday and felt like death afterwards so I don't feel like risking that again. Besides, I still got a mountain of homework to do :/ It's probably time I finally add some pics to this thread though so I can have some credibility lol. I'll edit the original post and post them up there.

Guess I can't edit the original post lol, I'll just post pictures right here.

Stage Shot:

Before picture @ 181:

10 week cutting progress to 164 lb BW:

2 weeks into my reverse diet. Up 145 calories and down 1 pound to 163:

These past 2 weeks my workouts have been done in the morning. I've got a love hate relationship with morning workouts tbh. My body feels so stiff and dead early on in the workout but that usually subsides after about 15-20 minutes and I start feeling in the zone. Once I get used to it though I'm sure this is how I will prefer it from now on, just gotta get past the initial aches and early mornings. I'm usually up at about 5:00 and in the gym by 6:00 after a quick breakfast. My workout lasts about 1.5 hours and from there I get ready and head to school from 9-3 Mon-Fri. Leave school and get home about 4:00 or so for a quick meal and then head to work from 5-11:00 on Monday thru Thursday. I'm usually home by about 11:30-12:00 so sleep ranges from 4-5 hours on weeknights. I'd like to say weekends are for recharging but they're usually when I tackle homework lol. Leaving at 5 AM and getting home at 11 PM leaves me feeling like a zombie for the most part but you gotta do what you gotta do. Work, school, or workouts aren't suffering so I'm gonna keep on keepin' on. I'd rather be busting my ass and moving towards my goals with a busy lifestyle than be living a sedentary lifestyle. Being tired from hard work feels 10x better than feeling refreshed from doing nothing. There's light at the end of the tunnel! Onto the workouts:

Legs Strength/Power

Squat 10x3

230x10x3
    *** All sets were easy besides the 1st one; my body still had some waking up to do lol

Leg Press 3x6-8
    Set 1: 600x8
    Set 2: 650x8
    Set 3: 700x8

Leg Ext 3x8-10
    Set 2: 150x10
    Set 3: 160x9

GHR 3x8-10
    Set 1: Body Weight + 25x10
    Set 2: Body Weight + 35x10
    Set 3: Body Weight + 35x9

Hip Abductor 2x8-10
    Set 1: 85x10
    Set 2: 85x10

Hip Adductor 2x8-10
    Set 1: 85x10
    Set 2: 85x10

DB Calf Raise 3x6-10 Pause at top for 4 seconds, lower over 4 seconds
    Set 1: 50x10
    Set 2: 55x10
    Set 3: 60x10

This morning's workout:

Chest/Triceps/Shoulders Hypertrophy

Incline Bench 5x5 with 65-70% of 3RM
    130x5x5

Incline DB Bench 3x10-15
    Set 2: 55x15
    Set 3: 60x11

DB Upright Row 3x8-12
    Set 1: 35x12
    Set 2: 40x12
    Set 3: 40x12

Hammer Strength Chest Press 4x12-15
    Set 1: 45 on each side x15
    Set 2: 45 on each side x15
    Set 3: 45 on each side x13
    Set 4: 45 on each side x12

Lateral Raises w/ Cable 3x12-20
    Set 1: 30x20
    Set 2: 30x20
    Set 3: 30x18

Cable Crossover 4x12-20
    Set 1: 50x20
    Set 2: 50x20
    Set 3: 40x18
    Set 4: 40x16

Straight Bar Pressdowns 4x10-15
    Set 1: 120x15'
    Set 2: 120x15
    Set 3: 120x15
    Set 4: 120x14

Overhead DB Extension 3x10-12
    Set 1: 55x12
    Set 2: 55x12
    Set 3: 55x12

DB Skullcrusher 3x10-15
    Set 2: 15x15
    Set 3: 15x13

Strength is going up, endurance is going up, and feeling overall better on this reverse diet. Even better news is that my weight is maintaining on even 200 more calories and I feel that I'm looking leaner and fuller. Today's workout was back and biceps Strength/power

Pendlay Rows 10x3

155x10x3 (easy; will be gunning for 160 next workout which should also be no problem. I feel I'll be able to ride this progression scheme for a pretty long time on all my major lifts and make some awesome gains)

Weighted Pullups 4x6-8
    Set 1: Body Weight + 10x8
    Set 2: Body Weight + 10x8
    Set 3: Body Weight + 10x8
    Set 4: Body Weight + 10x8

T-Bar Rows 4x6-8
    Set 1: 45(2) + 35x8
    Set 2: 45(2) + 35x8
    Set 3: 45(2) + 35x8
    Set 4: 45(2) + 35x8

Lat PullDown 2x6-10
    Set 1: 250x10 (Did these on Handicap machine where plates feel much lighter)
    Set 2: 250x10

DB Curls 3x6-8
    Set 1: 35x8
    Set 2: 35x8
    Set 3: 35x8

Preacher Curls 3x8-10
    Set 3: 65x10
    Set 4: 65x10