Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Strong Mind, Strong Body. LoganBrown's Avatar
    LoganBrown is a name known to all. (+5000) LoganBrown is a name known to all. (+5000) LoganBrown is a name known to all. (+5000) LoganBrown is a name known to all. (+5000) LoganBrown is a name known to all. (+5000) LoganBrown is a name known to all. (+5000) LoganBrown is a name known to all. (+5000) LoganBrown is a name known to all. (+5000) LoganBrown is a name known to all. (+5000) LoganBrown is a name known to all. (+5000) LoganBrown is a name known to all. (+5000)
    BTW, passed my Personal Training Certification with a 93%! As of right now, I'm just offering online services since classes will be taking up the majority of my time. But I can't wait to be offering my services in person. I'm working with about 5 people right now, for free (so I can gain some credibility), and I can already tell this is the field I want to get into. Everything just feels so right with it.
    Strong mind, strong body.

445 Squat/500 Dead/295 Bench

LoganBrown is a name known to all. (+5000) LoganBrown is a name known to all. (+5000) LoganBrown is a name known to all. (+5000) LoganBrown is a name known to all. (+5000) LoganBrown is a name known to all. (+5000) LoganBrown is a name known to all. (+5000) LoganBrown is a name known to all. (+5000) LoganBrown is a name known to all. (+5000) LoganBrown is a name known to all. (+5000) LoganBrown is a name known to all. (+5000) LoganBrown is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm back guys, the last few weeks were spent getting ready to move and were pretty hectic. I'm 100% settled into my dorm now and classes have begun. Gotta admit, it's weird being 900 miles from home. I'm a bit homesick but I'm sure I'll adjust just fine once I get to know a few people. I got back to training yesterday and I forgot what it's like to train at an altitude of 7000+ ft. I was winded after a few sets and couldn't move as much weight as back home. Definitely going to take some adjusting there as well, but I welcome the challenge. I got signed up for our rugby team as well and the season begins pretty soon, so I look forward to that. I get in shape pretty fast so I'm sure I'll be there once the season begins.

Lower Hypertrophy today... Having trouble getting into the swing of things around here. I've met several people and talk to quite a few, just none to really hang out with. Rugby practice starts Saturday at noon, so I've got that to look forward to. With intramural sports and campus Christian organization as well. I'm hoping that will open some doors. Adjusting to life here is taking a bit of time, but I know it'll happen! Anyway, onto the workout. I'm hoping I acclimate to the altitude sooner rather than later, it's taking a toll on my hypertrophy workouts.

Back Squat 5x5

225x5x5

Front Squat 4x12-15
    Set 1: 155x15
    Set 2: Same
    Set 3: 165x12
    Set 4: 165x12

Machine Squat 3x15-20
    Set 1: Lever set on 16x20
    Set 3: Lever set on 18x20

DB Stiff Legged Deadlift 3x15-20
    Set 1: 65lb DB'sx20
    Set 3: 65lb DB'sx18

Leg Press 3x20
    All 3 sets were done with 5 plates for 20 reps.

Got a pretty severe ankle sprain at rugby practice yesterday. Gonna be off it for awhile.

RSP Nutrition Lead Rep jpfaherty's Avatar
    jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You'll def adjust to the new surroundings and become less homesick over time man. Keep your head on straight and have some fun.

Oh, and get the ankle better!
    ★★★ RSP Nutrition Lead Representative ★★★

High Quality Supplements For All Your Goals

RSP Nutrition Store:
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/ store/rsp-nutrition.html

★★★ Live Inspired ★★★
    http://www.rspnutrition.com/

Originally Posted by jpfaherty View Post
    You'll def adjust to the new surroundings and become less homesick over time man. Keep your head on straight and have some fun.

Oh, and get the ankle better!
    Thanks JP! I am starting to adjust now and have made a few friends now. The first week was rough, but the second is going a lot better so far despite the sprained ankle. Just keepin 'er rested, iced, compressed, and elevated like everyone advises. Already feels better and I can bear to walk on it now. I'm hoping to be back on the rugby field next Wednesday and back in the gym sooner!

Life in college is going a helluva lot better now. Finally got back to the gym for an upper workout. Surprisingly, no strength loss has occurred whatsoever! If anything, I feel stronger. I think it's because I'm finally adjusted to the altitude here. Legs will be out of the equation for awhile, but I plan on hitting as soon I can.

What can I say guys, bodybuilding has taken somewhat of a backseat here lately as I've been adjusting to Colorado, making new friends, having new experiences, and learning how to live on my own 900 miles from home. I've definitely not forgotten about it, just had other things going on. I'm able to hit the gym consistently now since my ankle sprain (still not hitting legs yet, ligaments are still pretty tender) and I'm all adjusted to the altitude. Upper body strength is all there and muscle is still coming on. Really starting to enjoy myself here now. This past weekend I went out camping with a group I'm a part of here on campus called Christian Challenge and I managed to climb the side of a mountain Rocky IV style with no gear and my ankle in the condition it's in. Not the smartest move, but hey it'll be a good memory I got back last night from the trip and I was shocked to find my weight at 175 (-7lbs) despite guesstimating pretty well with my macros. The altitude was 13,000 ft after it was all said and done so maybe that had something to do with it? I know I was struggling pretty bad with it. Just wanted to clue y'all in on how I've been doing. According to the group I'm a part of, "I'm their favorite redneck" which gave me a pretty good laugh. Going to a balloon festival this weekend and hanging out with some friends the remainder of the nights this week. I'll keep this periodically updated, but since I'm focusing on growing other aspects of life now as well, it will most likely take the back seat. I'll update when I can and when I reach milestones. I'm by no means letting up on the gas here, just expanding my arsenal as much as I can so my time will be a bit more limited.

Got back to rugby practice on Wednesday and enjoyed every second of it. The doctor diagnosed a grade 3 sprain (although I diagnosed myself a grade 1.5 sprain ) so I was expecting to be out for at least a few months but it didn't give me any problems whatsoever. Conditioning is still on point and speed is still where it was. My only worry is my explosiveness. I haven't squatted in over a month so I'm worried my explosive ability will be down. That's always been what has separated me from the pack. I've always been decently strong but explosive ability is always where I would shine. I'll most likely start squatting again next week and slowly build back up to where I was. Just a little update, especially considering that I want rugby to be a part of what I do for the next several years.

LyssieDoll88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LyssieDoll88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LyssieDoll88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LyssieDoll88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LyssieDoll88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LyssieDoll88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LyssieDoll88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LyssieDoll88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LyssieDoll88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LyssieDoll88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LyssieDoll88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    IN! I'm looking forward to following along!

I read your story on one of the other posts about the post-competition rebound diet and your experience. It sounds like you are so much happier and healthier. Being away from family is REALLY tough. It will be an adjustment but you will come to LOVE life on your own. You never have to answer you anyone, you make your own decisions and you really get to explore who you are and what you want out of life. Glad I found this!!!
    Started at 350 pounds and 65% body fat
    Natural Women's Physique Competitor
    Future Ms. Natural Olympia

Motivadian and Lifestyle Coach

*NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE*

Follow my shenanigans on Instagram: Fabulyss88

Originally Posted by LyssieDoll88 View Post
    IN! I'm looking forward to following along!

I read your story on one of the other posts about the post-competition rebound diet and your experience. It sounds like you are so much happier and healthier. Being away from family is REALLY tough. It will be an adjustment but you will come to LOVE life on your own. You never have to answer you anyone, you make your own decisions and you really get to explore who you are and what you want out of life. Glad I found this!!!
    Thanks Lyss! You must have read about my pancreatitis encounter.. Not my proudest moment haha, but hey you live and you learn! The hard way in my case Being away from home was definitely a big shock at first but I'm adjusted now and loving it. Glad to have you along for the ride! I've looked at your thread a few times as well but never really got to post in it. Your story is crazy inspiring!

Gonna check in with y'all real quick. Wanna ask a quick question for anyone on the forum who has survived some pretty tough college courses. I've lurked on here for a while and I see that several posters are either in college, have graduated college, or are working on a graduate degree. My main question is this; what were your study habits? More importantly, what worked effectively for you in retaining information. I'm a pretty involved student from rugby to a Christian group I'm a part of to intramural sports as well as partaking in random events on campus. What I'm currently doing is reading the chapters and writing notes as well as studying them. The instructor also gives us MIS (most important stuff) sheets as a kind of template which I work on. The main problem is how in-depth our professor wants us to be. There's no multiple choice, it's almost all essay. That and identifying certain structures. The anatomy class I'm currently in is regarded by most students as the hardest course on campus. For those wondering, I have seen the tutor. I would just like to have as much input as I could receive from anyone who may have been in the position before. Thank you in advance!

Quick check-in.. Weight is actually down roughly 6-7lbs right now and I'm eating as much as I can. Definitely not a situation I'm used, especially considering I come from an overweight background and used to struggle with keeping weight off. I'm roughly intaking around 3000-3100 calories right now, which doesn't seem like much but when school keeps you busy and you're pretty active with other things it can be hard to fit everything in. Strength is the same, and it's even gone up on some lifts. Incline DB Press especially. I hit a PR of 85's for 6 just yesterday. Legs I plan on easing back into tomorrow or the next day. Rugby keeps my legs worked out pretty well and today was especially rough on them, so I'll most likely hold off till the next day.

Hey guys, just checking in to inform anyone who follows this log that a few changes are being made. Moving away from home has sparked a few changes within me and helped me to learn a few things about myself. First and foremost, I have decided that bodybuilding may very well not be the life I am looking for. Looking back, I was competing and doing this for immature reasons. I had myself convinced I was doing it for the love of the game, but in the back of my mind I knew I was doing this for acceptance from others and for vanity reasons. I actually go started because my first girlfriend broke up with me back in the summer of 2011 and I wanted to make her jealous. I was insecure and thought bodybuilding would solve that for me. Being in college and making true friends helped me to wake up from the life I was living. I've decided that I'm not going to continue competing, simply because I've been doing so for the wrong reasons. I still plan on staying in the gym 5-6 days a week, eating properly, and keeping healthy, but the goal is no longer to step on stage. It is to keep my body healthy and functioning optimally. I do intend to continue training for rugby and eventually compete in powerlifting in the future however. Maybe the bodybuilding lifestyle will call me sometime in the future, but right now I'm going to focus on other aspects and leave the world of bodybuilding behind. It's been great following the people on this forum's progress, pro cards earned, and just seeing y'all's overall passion for the sport. I wish everyone here the best.

What's up guys and gals. I plan on logging in here again to keep myself on track since I'm going to be running 5/3/1 in an effort to gain strength. I was getting a bit burnt out with the bodybuilding style of training that I've been doing for so long and tapered off. Well in tapering off my training, I discovered that sweet spot that many seasoned lifters talked about. That spot where recovery, intensity in the gym, and strength and size gains are at their best. Right now, I'm in the gym 4 days per week for about 1 hour at the time focusing on the major compounds with some accessory work thrown in. I can honestly say the gains I've made since tapering off are great. I was worried I'd lose size and strength by doing this, but it's actually helped me greatly. For some, high volume training and being in the gym 6 days a week is the best. For others such as myself, a more conservative approach and hitting the gym 4 days per week with less volume is a better approach. Without further ado, here is my first workout on 5/3/1.

Week 1
    Squat 3x5 @ 65%, 75%, 85% of 1RM

Set 1: 210x5
    Set 2: 240x5
    Set 3: 275x6

Leg Press 5x15
    Set 1: 400x15
    Set 2: 490x15
    Set 3: 580x15
    Set 4: 580x15
    Set 5: 580x15

Lying Leg Curl 5x10
    Set 1: 60x10
    Set 2: 60x10
    Set 3: 72x10
    Set 4: 72x10
    Set 5: 72x10

Tomorrow will be Bench Press.

5/3/1 for bench press today with accessory work thrown in. Strength in the gym feeling great.

Although my true BP Max is 245, I'm using a training max of 225. Will progress onward from there.

Bench Press: 3 sets @ 65%, 75%, 85% of 1RM. Last set is AMRAP.
    Set 1: 145x5
    Set 2: 170x5
    Set 3: 190x8

Hypertrophy Sets: 5x10 w/ 60% of 1RM.

135x5x10

Incline Press 5x12

115x5x12

Pec Deck 3x15

130x3x15

Single Arm Skullcrusher 5x10

Sets 1-3: 30x10
    Sets 4-5: 35x10

Threw in some hanging leg raises and weighted cable crunches for additional core work.

Yesterday was my Deadlift day of 5/3/1 and it went really well. I've thought about raising my training max for DL, but no need to rush things. I'll keep progressing like normal on this routine and let things sort themselves out. Also, considering I'm going to be starting my cut today, raising my training max could actually be detrimental. At the start of this year, I was roughly 161 lbs. As of yesterday morning, I was 191lbs. 30lbs in a year with quite a bit of muscle and strength gain. Cant wait to cut it down and see the results. Onto the workout.

Deadlift 3x5 with 65%, 75%, 85% of 1RM. Last set is AMRAP. Training Max 325.

Set 1: 215x5
    Set 2: 245x5
    Set 3: 275x8

Assistance Work:

5x12 BW Pullups

3x15 Cable Rows @ 120-130lbs.

Barbell Curls 5x10, last set to failure w/ 65lbs.

No core work today, worked it yesterday. All in all, solid workout.

Bench Press today, 3x3 with 70%, 80%, and 90% of my training 1RM. Last set AMRAP. Solid workout overall.

Set 1: 155x3
    Set 2: 180x3
    Set 3: 202.5x5

Hypertrophy Work

135x5x10

Incline DB Press

65x4x10

Single Arm Skullcrushers

Set 1-2: 30x10
    Set 3-4: 35x10

Reps felt very smooth on BP. I could have grinded another out but it would have been a sloppy one so I called it a set; I'd already gotten 2 more than the required reps anyhow. I'm more focused on training smarter rather than harder right now. I've trained "hard" in the past and it didn't really lead anywhere. Training smart the past few months has led to some very good gains, both strength and muscle wise. For those that follow 3DMJ on Youtube and watch Jeff Alberts' Godfather Saga video series, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

No lifting today. Just got in the pool and did a quick workout in there. In Colorado I ran on my off days, but running here in Oklahoma wouldn't help too much in the cardiovascular department since I've been running at 7,000 ft altitude the past few months. Since I am back in Oklahoma for a few weeks and not at that 7,000 ft altitude anymore, I decided to swim since it involves somewhat limited oxygen. Hopefully that somewhat emulates running at altitude.

5x100 yds.
    Breathing every 10 strokes on the first 25 yds, every 8 strokes on the second 25, every 6 strokes on the third 25, and every 4 strokes on the final 25. The goal was to swim these in a somewhat quick manner.

3x50 yds. Butterfly stroke (those who have swam know just how demanding this stroke is)

3x200 yds, took these a bit slower but still pushed the pace.

It's been a very up and down past few weeks. Training was not completely optimal but I did still manage to progress. Was in Tennessee for a week and had no access to a gym so my workouts were calisthenic and body weight for the most part. Got back two days ago and hit the gym last night and hit a BP PR while cutting, so I was happy with that.

Bench Press 5/3/1 (on the 1 rep week, set 1 is 1 rep with 75% of 1rm, set 2 is 85%, set 3 is 95%, then the final set is a PR attempt).

Set 1: 170x1
    Set 2: 190x1
    Set 3: 215x1
    Set 4: 235x3

Back in October I was roughly the same body weight and couldn't hit 225 for 1, today I hit 235 for 3 so I'm pleased with that. That puts my new 1rm right around 250-255. As a freshman in college who struggled with 155x5, I'm really happy with the fact that I'm finally progressing on BP. It's always been my weakest lift. I'm hoping that by the time 2017 rolls around I can be in the 280-290 range. 315 would be awesome, but that's a lofty goal and I'm in the strength game for the long haul. No need to rush things and injure myself. It'll come in due time.

On another note, I was talking with my uncle in Tennessee about working out and what not. He told me that he had been back in the gym for a few months and was getting pretty strong. He told me about how he saw some weight left on the bench press one day and just decided to give it a shot for the hell of it (and he got it). When he told me the weight that was on there I was blown away. His exact words; "I'm honestly not sure about the total weight, I just know that on each side of the bar there were 3 45's and a 25." If he's telling the truth, he benched 365. After a few months of training. He is a big guy (about 6'1 and 230-240), but still that is absolutely insane. Just thought I'd share.

Rest of workout.

Bench Press Hyoertrophy Work:
    Set 1: 145x10
    Set 2-3 were the same.

Pec Deck:
    Sets 1-3 were 130x15, slow tempo.

Pull-ups: 3x10

DB Rows:
    Set 1: 80x10
    Sets 2-3 were same

Bicep Curls:
    Sets 1-3: 35x10

I hate to be a Negative Nancy, but January was a somewhat rough month. I had a few financial troubles arise and I was unable to return to school in Colorado because of this. During this time, I got pretty sick and was unable to work out during this spell. I went in once for a full body workout and was as weak as could be all over. I took it pretty easy, but the next day I felt like I had the body of a 90 year old combat veteran so I held off the workouts for a little bit. In the past week, I made the drive to Tennessee so I could live with family for a bit till I could get my feet back under me. I'm planning on working at a Millwright company here and attending welding school to become a certified welder. I plan on getting an apartment in the next few months so I can have some independence and responsibility as well. I want to establish residency and earn enough money to pay for school before I start up my college path again though. Life throws us all curves and learning to adjust is a very important trait for those wishing to succeed. Just a little update on how my 2016 is going so far. It's off to a pretty weak start, but I'm highly faithful that I'll bounce back.

I will be finding a new gym tomorrow to get a membership to so I can begin focusing on my workouts again. I'm no longer sick and I've gotten all adjusted here in Tennessee. Now it's time to get my life back on track.

Tomorrow I will begin 5/3/1 again with lowered training maxes since my body hasn't seen the weights in a month and will need to readjust.

Bench: 220 Squat: 295 DL: 305 OHP: 125

Operation: Bounce Back From Adversity. It begins tomorrow. Will begin a new thread highlighting my new life and progress.

Decided that I wouldn't start a new thread and just gonna stick with this one! The past few workouts haven't been amazing, but they've been productive. I figure as I get into the swing of things and get a routine established, things will start picking up again fine. I recently bought a 1 year membership to the Gold's Gym here and I'm loving this gym so far. I should also begin working sometime soon and racking up 50+ hours per week while getting on the job training and schooling, so that will be good and can help me save up for college and pay for my food and training. Onto the workouts.

Bench Press 3x5
    Set 1: 145x5
    Set 2: 170x5
    Set 3: 190x5

Hypertrophy Sets done on Incline

5x10 w/ 115

Pullups: 3x10

Seated Cable Rows: 3x12 w/120

Barbell Curls: 3x10 w/ 65lbs

DB Skullcrushers: 3x10 w/ 35lbs

Lateral Raises: 3x12 w/ 25lbs

Squat 3x5

Set 1: 190x5
    Set 2: 220x5
    Set 3: 250x5

Hypertrophy Sets

5x10 w/165

GHR 4x10 body weight

Hanging leg raises 4x12

Deadlift 3x5

Set 1: 200x5
    Set 2: 230x5
    Set 3: 260x5

Rather than focusing on Deadlift Hypertrophy, I focused on front squats.

5x10 w/ 145

Lying Leg Curl

3x12 w/ 80lbs

RDL

3x12 w/ 145lbs

OHP 3x5

Set 1: 75x5
    Set 2: 90x5
    Set 3: 105x5

Hypertrophy Sets

5x10 w/ 65lbs

Flat DB Press

3x10 w/ 70lbs

DB Curls

3x10 w/ 30lbs

DB Skullcrushers

3x10 w/ 35lbs

Lateral Raises

3x10 w/ 25lbs

RSP Nutrition Lead Rep jpfaherty's Avatar
    jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good luck with everything dude. You'll rebound, I'm sure of it!
    ★★★ RSP Nutrition Lead Representative ★★★

High Quality Supplements For All Your Goals

RSP Nutrition Store:
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/ store/rsp-nutrition.html

★★★ Live Inspired ★★★
    http://www.rspnutrition.com/

Originally Posted by jpfaherty View Post
    Good luck with everything dude. You'll rebound, I'm sure of it!
    I appreciate it man. And things are already looking up with training, finding work, and everything. Finding a new normal can be hard, but I'm making the necessary adjustments and I'd say I'm doing pretty well!

Bench 3x3
    Set 1: 157.5x3
    Set 2: 180x3
    Set 3: 205x3

Was considering AMRAP on the final set, but I decided to save it for my next bench day where 1 rep is the goal. Don't wanna be reaching failure too often, especially considering that I'm doing more of a 5/3/1 bodybuilding hybrid.

Hypertrophy sets on incline bench

5x10 w/ 115lbs
    I don't like working this light, but since I've been lightening the load and focusing on form, gains and recovery have increased tenfold. Checking my ego at the door has been helping quite a bit.

Pullups

3x10

Seated Cable Rows

3x12 w/ 120lbs

Upright Rows

3x12 w/ 100lbs

Single Arm Skullcrusher

3x10 w/ 35lbs

DB Curls

3x10 w/ 30lbs

Lateral Raises

3x12 w/ 25lbs

Squat 3x3

Set 1: 205x3
    Set 2: 235x3
    Set 3: 265x5

Pretty easy sets, feeling my strength returning nicely.

Hypertrophy Sets

5x10 w/ 185lbs

RDL

3x10 w/ 155lbs

Leg Extension

3x12 w/ 100lbs

Hey guys, checking in real quick. Just wanting to log my new PR's while they are fresh on my mind.

I did 1RM tests on the big 3 lifts today as well as OHP (probably shouldn't have tested this on the same day as BP, but oh well).

Bench Press progress from one year ago... 210-280. Really started focusing on staying tight, keeping scapula retracted, and using proper leg drive.

Squat Progress from one year ago... 315-355. Sprained ankle and a few other injuries kept me from training the squat as consistently as I would have liked, but life goes on. The goal is to hit my previous PR of 405, but with high bar this time around rather than low bar.

Deadlift Progress from one year ago... 335-445. Nothing too impressive number wise, but happy with progress especially considering I have been very sporadic with deadlifting.