Chahn is a name known to all. (+5000) Chahn is a name known to all. (+5000) Chahn is a name known to all. (+5000) Chahn is a name known to all. (+5000) Chahn is a name known to all. (+5000) Chahn is a name known to all. (+5000) Chahn is a name known to all. (+5000) Chahn is a name known to all. (+5000) Chahn is a name known to all. (+5000) Chahn is a name known to all. (+5000) Chahn is a name known to all. (+5000)

Properly starting martial arts after 10 years of bodybuilding. BJJ etc.

It is cool that we have this place to post our training logs.

I have never really had formal MMA training. A couple of years ago I took 1 muay thai lesson and worked from there myself. I just watched a bunch of videos online and did whatever I could. I thought that it's about time to begin properly.

Today was my first BJJ lesson today at evolve mma. Decided to join their school after the trial. Did a 1 hour trial class and came back later to do another one. It was the same lesson. The people were nice. The teacher was professor Bruno Pucci.

I do not know what to call those moves we were doing. It was like half guard and trying to get into side control. First one was simply going over the person and getting control on his back from half guard, 2nd one was pulling on the knee of the other guy to throw him onto his back then going into side control. The 3rd one was flipping him using the momentum of himself pushing on us and into another control. On the 2nd class I accidentally hit my head on the teeth of a partner. Feelsbadman.jpg But he didn't seem to be hurt.

Then I did another training that was for conditioning. There was TRX incline pull ups, kettlebell push press, battle ropes, TRX push ups and burpees then jumping for pull ups. Last was running with a resistance band around our waist while the other guy holds it behind us. Tough. Did that 3 times.

My knees are feeling sore after that kneeling in BJJ.

Anyway... hope to learn more and get better.

Chahn is a name known to all. (+5000) Chahn is a name known to all. (+5000) Chahn is a name known to all. (+5000) Chahn is a name known to all. (+5000) Chahn is a name known to all. (+5000) Chahn is a name known to all. (+5000) Chahn is a name known to all. (+5000) Chahn is a name known to all. (+5000) Chahn is a name known to all. (+5000) Chahn is a name known to all. (+5000) Chahn is a name known to all. (+5000)
    2nd day training today. Today's teacher was professor Leandro Ataides. Big guy. Reminds me of Kimbo or something. His height is listed as 6'3 on evolve, 6'1 on sherdog and 6' on some other sources. I think he is about 6 feet. Taller but not under.

Wish I were his size.

He taught us some take down. First we grab the opponent's gi and sleeve. Drop to a squat and stand again, then drop to the floor with left knee between the other guy's legs. Then we move our head to our right, grab behind pants behind the knees, step our left foot outside his right leg and toss him to the side. And get into side control. Then some half guard stuff. First half guard thing one seemed like a variation of the first thing we learned yesterday under the other teacher. Instead of having both legs locking onto the person, this time one leg will be straight on our side. After that something that also seemed like a variation of the next one we learned yesterday. And last move was to get into full guard from half guard.

Had 2 partners. Both were friendly and gave me tips. Was amazed at some of the moves they did. First guy got in a high mount on me and told me to try to wiggle out. Then as I pushed him to get out, he acted like he was doing a ground and pound on me. Lol'd. That was quite cool. I laughed when the 2nd guy put me in a kimura on my back. He was sort of in a mount. Then he told me not to have my arms beside my head on the mat and that I had to block him.

Today's lesson was funny. Taught by professor Bruno Pucci. There was only another female in the class. When the class started I was like "where is everyone else?". Then I realized it might be friday night party time for them. Anyway it was a bit weird. I couldn't believe how close contact it was. The instructor kept telling me to get closer to the partner when I pin her down. I had issues with getting too close. She on the other hand had no problem pressing herself on me. Not sure why they are so comfortable with that. The teacher said that it's a martial art so we gotta do it for real (and not leave so much opening or space like I did) and joked that if it were an incident in public the other person would have punched my face. Hahaha. Yesterday the other instructor professor Ataides said his grandmother could break a fall better than me. They can be funny.

So today he taught us how to get to full mount from side control. First we gotta slide our shin onto the stomach of the other person while holding them down. The instructor kept telling me to not be afraid to put the weight of my leg on the girl. I didn't dare to do that. But she had no problems doing it. So if we are on the right side of the person, after sliding our right leg onto the opponent's stomach, we then have to push their left arm up to get it out of the way as we slide into the mount. All this time we gotta keep the weight on them until we get the mount. After that was also from side control to full mount. From side control we move our hip onto the side, then push both knees of the opponent towards us and get into the mount. The next one was us countering. We start by having the person controlling us from the side. Then we push them and move our hip to escape, we slip our hand back to their belt and then go over them. Similar to the first move on the first day. But without having them in half guard.

Then he asked me how old I was. I told him. Coincidentally the girl, him and I were all born in the same year. We lol'd.

After all that the instructor decided to roll with me while the other student sat and watched with a timer. He was super. Did a couple of cool moves. It was funny when he got me in some position as he nudged my side to force me to find a way to escape. Then he did a kimura, armbar, and other moves that I had no idea about. But in between those funny moves he let me practice the lesson material and let me perform them. Great lesson.

My knees are sore from all the kneeling. My neck too. Might take a day or two off and come back on monday.

After the lessons yesterday and today I went to the gym. Forgot to log that yesterday. I did some overhead squats, front squats, bench etc. Today I did bench and some kettlebell stuff. Haha. I think that benching will improve my ability to push the opponent away from me.

squatz4ndOatz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) squatz4ndOatz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) squatz4ndOatz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) squatz4ndOatz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) squatz4ndOatz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) squatz4ndOatz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) squatz4ndOatz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) squatz4ndOatz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) squatz4ndOatz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) squatz4ndOatz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) squatz4ndOatz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Gonna follow this thread cause I wanna get into MMA next year. It's my resolution. Interesting comment about the knees from all the kneeling. Hadn't thought of that.
    Squat: 500lbs x1
    Bench: 325lbs x1 (paused); 350lbs tng
    Deadlift: 600lbs x1

Originally Posted by squatz4ndOatz View Post
    Gonna follow this thread cause I wanna get into MMA next year. It's my resolution. Interesting comment about the knees from all the kneeling. Hadn't thought of that.
    Thank you. Hope you get something out of this. And yeah I am not sure if it's from abrasion or something. My elbows had the same problem but today I wore a long sleeve compression shirt under the gi and my elbows weren't sore at all. Maybe no friction or I got used to it. Today I didn't kneel much because of the moves we were learning.

Anyway today's training was with professor Leandro again. He taught us some drills for turning and a way to takedown someone while standing. First we grab the gi and sleeve of the other person, step to one side, then the other foot goes to the hip of the person as we fall back while still holding onto the person, bringing the person down. Then we have both feet on their hips. We will quickly pull their ankles while pushing their hip with our feet and they will fall back. Then we can get into some control. The next move is similar, but we put one leg between theirs while keeping one foot on their hip. Then we turn onto our side and use the leg that is between theirs to hook their leg as we push with our foot on their hip, trying to make them fall back.

It was fun pracitising with the 2 partners I had today and they were cool. Gave me tips etc. The first guy was about 5'5 or so but I couldn't take him down with the 2nd move. He was strong and he could really stand firmly. The second guy was my rolling partner. He was quite cool and was going easy on me so I managed to get some controls when he went easy.

Then after the lesson was supposed to be conditioning class with a different instructor. First was push ups with kettle bell rows x 10 reps. Then wall walks, we walk into a wall upside down and try to get our hands as close to the wall as we can x 10. Next was 15 kettle bell overhead swings. Then 15 burpees with a 12 kg ball slam. Last exercise was sprinting across the room and jogging back and repeat x 5.

I was only able to do 2 proper wall walks on the first set. The rest were terrible form. I was supposed to do 3 sets but I half assed the other 2 sets with fewer reps.

I wish I had better endurance. But that actually comes with doing it properly. Haha.

After all that I saw professor Leandro again. He said he used to train BJJ alone for many hours a day. And nowadays he does he same here too. Even harder. He said, "Training hard, fighting easy". The training has to be way harder than the fight.

Lesson for today was taught by professor Bruno. It's actually the same as the lesson yesterday with a few twists. I was put in a group of 3. So there were 2 other guys. One of the guys kneed my groin quite hard accidentally. Then after that he somehow did it again accidentally. Actually both guys kinda did that. The first guy did that was when he was putting his foot on my hip. We lol'd at my pain. Then I asked the instructor if people wear groin guards for BJJ. He said that it is not allowed unlike in MMA. So the guy who kneed me was a bit more careful. This is really risky. The teacher joked that since I am not planning to have kids yet I shouldn't worry. Ayy lmao.

Instead of stepping to the side like yesterday, we take one step in front while pushing the same side of the person. Then we perform that first move yesterday. Another one of the techniques that was not in yesterday's class was using our right foot to hook behind the person's left knee while pushing their right hip with our left foot and pulling their right ankle with our hand (to make them fall back) instead of turning our hip and using our leg to hook. We also did some drills. One person will be lying on their back, the other will try to hook the leg of the one lying down and he has to react by 'unhooking' his leg. The other drill was on how to get up. We lie on our back with our knees bent, then we bend one leg inwards (this knee pointing out now), putting that shin on the floor and get up on that shin. Useful for getting up without using hands. For the rolling time I was lucky. Managed to get a mount on the guy who kneed my groin (striped white belt) and some side controls. When I got the other guys (blue belt) in full guard, he lifted me up in the air. And I was holding onto him. Hahaha. He eventually got me. It was fun. Wish there was longer time for rolling.

After that I went to gym and did some bench, snatch, overhead squats and weighted dips. And some hyper extension with extra weight. I totally need to work on my core. Lower back strength etc.

I am not sure if I will be training for the next couple of days because I am a wuss. I have some blisters from wearing crocs (to class and back). Maybe it's also not a good idea to train with open wounds. And it is christmas eve tomorrow so I shall be making a fool of myself and having a few drinks with a couple of whatever friends I still have.

martyn747 is a name known to all. (+5000) martyn747 is a name known to all. (+5000) martyn747 is a name known to all. (+5000) martyn747 is a name known to all. (+5000) martyn747 is a name known to all. (+5000) martyn747 is a name known to all. (+5000) martyn747 is a name known to all. (+5000) martyn747 is a name known to all. (+5000) martyn747 is a name known to all. (+5000) martyn747 is a name known to all. (+5000) martyn747 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Really good read man, enjoying the log. I used to train BJJ put gave it up a few years ago. Keep up the hard work bro!

squatz4ndOatz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) squatz4ndOatz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) squatz4ndOatz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) squatz4ndOatz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) squatz4ndOatz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) squatz4ndOatz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) squatz4ndOatz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) squatz4ndOatz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) squatz4ndOatz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) squatz4ndOatz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) squatz4ndOatz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    When you chose Bjj, did you consider doing no gi or are you interested in ocmpeting?

Originally Posted by martyn747 View Post
    Really good read man, enjoying the log. I used to train BJJ put gave it up a few years ago. Keep up the hard work bro!
    Thank you. Why did you give up?

Originally Posted by squatz4ndOatz View Post
    When you chose Bjj, did you consider doing no gi or are you interested in ocmpeting?
    Honestly my interest was really sambo. But there aren't schools here that offer that. I wanted a disciplined martial art with proper stuff so BJJ seemed to be good idea. IMO it might be the next best thing to me after sambo. I think school doesn't allow me to attend no gi until I reach a certain number of stripes. So I shall do no gi when I reach a certain level while still learning traditional BJJ. Sambo will have to wait.

BeReal23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeReal23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeReal23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeReal23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeReal23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeReal23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeReal23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeReal23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeReal23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeReal23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeReal23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    epic join date

First lesson in a couple of weeks because I hurt my left lower back doing heavy half squats. I still trained in my regular gym towards the end of my recovery with conditioning type of exercises but didn't wanna risk going back for BJJ until I was ok. The exercises involved battle ropes, kettle bells, trx stuff etc. And then today I slightly sprained a toe on my right foot in class. Not sure how it happened.

So today's lesson with was professor Ataides. First technique is when the opponent grabs us from behind. We have to drop down while pushing our arms upwards to escape. Then we step behind him while keeping our arms at his front. We lift the other guy up from behind his knees and place him on our quad. The partner was about 5'6 or so. He wasn't able to take my weight and we both fell down. Lol.

Next technique has us in the opponent's full guard. Then we grab one of his sleeves near his hand and pull it towards us (his right with our right) and try to pin keep it at his hip. Then with our other hand we grab his collar on that side. (his right and our left). Then we get into a squat while still holding onto him. On the side we hold his collar, we push his leg down and move our knee over that leg while we keep holding the sleeve on the other side. We use that knee to pin that leg. During this time we try to put all our weight on the other guy and try to get into side control. The next variation was with a possible reaction from the partner, he would try to push us away with his feet at our hips when we get into the squat. Then we have to underhook his legs and move towards him and kneel down then put the top of our thighs under his lower back then we grab his collar (his right with our right) while putting our weight on him. Then we get into side control again.

The next 2 are from our side control. These were scary. I was chuckling because of the anticipation from experiencing a choke. And I felt it many times during practice. But the partner was kind and didn't try to kill me but I was nervous and laughing. This technique was very powerful. I was surprised by it's efficacy. My mind was actually blown when I saw the instructor demo it on a student. So basically from our side control, the arm that is holding on him will grab our own sleeve of the other hand. We make our hand like we are doing a karate chop and move it over his neck. As we straighten our arm that is holding him, the choke will automatically be applied. It really didn't take much. The partner didn't even do it hard and I felt it. I don't know how to not tap to something like that. It's something that would make me tap immediately especially when it's done nearer to the thoat instead of the side of the neck. Then when I did it to him, I went from slight pressure and increased a bit when he asked and he felt it immediately. It's interesting how such a slight increase in pressure could already make him feel tap. Imagine if we use full force. Very scary. The next one was similar but instead of using our own sleeve, we pull his gi out and pull it over our choking hand while grabbing with our hand we control him with. Then we apply the choke as before.

Very cool moves. After that we got into a group of 3. So 3 of us guys were practicing all the moves we learned. One of the guys was a blue belt (at first I was paired with a more experienced white belt). When I had the blue belt in full guard, he was able to break my guard by pushing my leg. I was a bit shocked and laughed at it. The guys lol'd at my reaction. Haha. This guy was slightly taller but looked kind of skinny. And he was surprisingly strong enough to just break my guard like that. I wonder if it's due to natural strength of his or maybe he had been doing this for a while? Maybe I'm not as strong as I think? Or it could be something to do with technique?

Then he asked me if I have done any full guard stuff or how to get an armbar. I told him I only learned stuff from half guard. I think in the other posts it mentions things about getting into full guard from half guard but not what to do from full guard. So anyway he asked he to do something from half guard. I did the 2nd lesson stuff. But when I got him in a seatbelt he simply rolled and got me on my back. Should have rear naked choked him at that time. JK. Haha. But I doubt he would have rolled over if I weren't a beginner because thinking back it's actually a bad idea as it leaves him open for a choke. Unless he has something else up his sleeve. But both partners were helpful. Gave tips. Especially the first one.

So anyway it was a cool class.

Dayum. The class that I attended today was the best and most enjoyable one I had so far. It's the first time I tried their MMA class. It was conducted by coach Heath Sims.

Before the lesson I bumped into professor Ataides who was finishing his class. He joked and called me lazy boy for not attending his BJJ and only doing 1 class today. He is a funny guy. Shall go next week.

Anyway.. I had problems with some of the warmups today. I was not able to do cartwheels and some of the drills they did. It was lulzy.

The first thing he taught was underhook exercises and some clinching stuff. At first I had difficulty trying to get it but eventually I got it. The first partner was helpful and guided me along. We had to do underhook on one arm and block the other arm of the partner. Either by holding the wrist or at the bicep. Or with underhooking and locking our hands together. Then we will knee him at different points. After this was getting a guillotine choke from standing. We pull them down towards us while 1 arm is clinching and the other behind his neck. Then when he is on the ground we apply the choke. The next one was a take down. We will clinch the guy and then with the leg on the same side as the arm doing underhook, we step in between the guy and push him towards the opposite side for the take down.

I was paired with the first guy again for some 1 minute rounds of the above techniques. Each taking turns to have offence and defence. I was slammed for the first time by this guy. Felt pretty interesting. But what happened later with another guy was crazier. Anyway, after this first guy, I was partnered with a young guy who was probably less than 140 pounds. I didn't really go on the offence but tried to defend his takedowns. He couldn't take me down because I weigh more than him.

But this third partner was the craziest. He was about my height but lighter and very on the ball. I had an awesome time with him. He slammed me on the ground pretty hard many times. I definitely felt those slams but I was surprised that I could get back up without feeling dizzy. He must have slammed me at least 5 times in the course of the rest of the lesson. Pretty hard too. Somehow I enjoyed that. When we had the 3 minute round, we really went at it on the ground. I didn't know much about what to do but I watched enough MMA videos to kind of find a way to survive. I was looking out for certain submissions and tried to avoid certain positions where he could get me. Such as rear naked choke etc. He got me in a full mount one time and pretended to ground and pound me and slap me. It was funny. Then I remembered a video I watched. I thrusted my hip up and he lost his balance. So I managed to sorta escape. We started off in the clinch again after each time I tapped or when the instructor told us to. He put me in kimuras and americanas. There was one point I tried to do a guillotine choke with my back on the floor. I had him in the choke and applied pressure already but he rolled towards me and I lost it. I realized later that I should have locked his legs. There was one point he did something and I knew he was in the armbar position. So I quickly grabbed my arm and he couldn't do the armbar. This moment was pretty funny when I think back about it. I must have struggled like almost 10 seconds then I saw the instructor and thought that I shouldn't try too hard. So I let go. Anyway the partner probably already got me. I couldn't do anything from there because of my limited knowledge. This guy was really challenging and awesome to roll with.

I wish there could be more mma classes. It feels less limiting than BJJ. But BJJ has it's own cool things with the GI etc.

Meanwhile I think I will benefit more from the videos that I watch from now on because I am getting a clearer idea of how things work after having done it in real life. Really looking forward to learning more.

Yesterday's BJJ lesson with professor Bruno. I think it was one of the more important lessons. It was a class on armbar. And the hardcore guy who I trained with for MMA on sunday was also taking the class. And he was paired with me. It made for another tough session.

The first move, we have the other guy in our guard. Then we use our left hand to grab their right sleeve and hold it on our chest to prevent him from moving. Next we create space to hook under his left thigh with our right arm. Then we are going to pull him towards us with our leg, then push him to our left, both with our legs and our right arm. Open up our guard and we will have him in full mount. The instructor said that common mistakes are grabbing the wrong arm.

Next move is what to do if the opponent reacts by placing his other arm on to mat to prevent himself from falling over when we try to push him over. We move our left leg across to the left side of his head and do an armbar. Gotta make sure the guy's thumb is pointing upwards. I had some problems with this. I wasn't able to get the right point to apply the pressure.

For the third move, we also have him in our guard. We reach under the opponent's left arm with our right hand, then we grab our right hand with our left hand, above his shoulder and lock it. Then we pull him towards us. We do a hip escape to our right, while stepping against his hip. At this point we have his hand at the right side of our neck, his arm will be in a good position for us to armbar him. His thumb will be pointing downwards and we will bring our right elbow and apply pressure downards on his elbow.

Before the rolling the instructor showed us how he broke the full guard of the guy by pushing down the knee. It happened to me a couple of lessons ago and I was amazed when it happened to me. So yesterday I did it on the partner and it worked. I was not able to use much of my strength against this partner when we were rolling. He was pretty strong. The instructor told me that in BJJ it's not always the stronger guy who wins, but then in my case I didn't seem to be even be using whatever strength I had. I guess it might have been because the other guy was strong. And it appeared that I wasn't exerting much strength in the case of the armbars etc. Shall analyze how to get more leverage when doing armbars etc.

Had a BJJ class today. Instructor was professor Bruno Pucci. After that I had a conditioning class conducted by instructor Jake Butler. He actually conducted the conditioning class in the first post of the thread.

For BJJ today, the first move is getting into position from standing. We grab the other guy's sleeve at the elbow and collar, then step forward with the side grabbing the collar while pushing him back. Then with that side, we put one foot on his hip as we fall to the floor on the opposite side while pulling him, but keeping him away with that foot. Then the other goes foot on the other side.

The next move is what the professor calls the spider guard. When we are in the same position with our back on the floor, but now we are grabbing his sleeves near the wrists. We choose a side to push our hip out, then on that same side, our foot will go to his bicep and his arm will be bent. This leg will straighten, holding his arm there, bent. During this time we are still holding onto his sleeves while the other foot is on still on the hip. We can take him down by turning to the side where we have his bicep. We turn our body away from the bicep side (we can use our free leg to help us turn by hooking the top of our foot to the outside of his bicep side thigh), still holding the sleeve on the bicep side, then hook his opposite leg with our arm on the inside and we flip him towards the bicep side by hooking his leg and pushing the bicep with that leg. We can get into full mount or side control from this. It easier to understand if we see it.

Next one is similar but we have him kneeling. Instead of pushing him to the bicep side, we push him to the other side. But we will hold his other arm close to our body so he can't use it to prevent himself from falling. We can get into full mount from that.

During the rolling the partner and I were going pretty easy on each other. It was still fun though. We both managed to get some sweeps and mounts etc.

And after this class I asked the partner if he was going for the next class which was for conditioning. It was conducted by the instructor Jake Butler. Strong and big guy with aesthetics. Mirin. But the partner said he can't go because it was too exhausting. He went one time before and didn't try again.

We started off with foam rollers. I didn't know what to do with them and was just fooling around till it was time for warm ups. We did a 30 second 6 station circuit after that. I started off with push-ups. We were supposed to do clap push ups if we were able to. But I just did normal ones because I was chicken. Then it was TRX pull ups. I really liked these. Then was sprinting with a band around our waist while a partner holds it for resistance. Next was chin ups. I didn't do much. I just held on and did 1 every 10 seconds or so. Next was burpees with pushups. Then kettlebell swings. 1 minute rest and we repeated 2 more times. I think I didn't work as hard as I could have I was sort of saving it for the later rounds but that was a mistake. Next was a series of core exercises. I liked these. We did V ups, then side twists, planks with alternating knees to elbows, then bicycles, then leg lifts to the back. I'm not sure about the order. Probably correct. I like conditioning workouts. I been doing these at the gym I go to. But the circuit is usually the same.

When I don't go for martial arts, I do my own bodybuilding and conditioning at the regular gym and sometimes slam ball and kettlebell at home. In the gym I do TRX rows, pushups, kettlebells, battle ropes. Different order. But I shall add more stuff. I think my cardio and endurance have improved. Will do more.

Just came back from 3 back to back classes at evolve. BJJ, MMA and wrestling. It was my first time wrestling. Really interesting. I didn't know anything about wrestling before today. But today I learnt a few takedowns and managed to do some. There is a lot of material today so I hope I remember it all.

For BJJ it was my first lesson with professor Gamal Hassan. He taught us some cool things. The partner I was with was also very cool. Very friendly and helpful. First one was how to get into full mount from side control. From side control, we put our knee that is closer to the opponents head near his head. Then we hook that nearer arm to get it out of the way. We put our weight on him and get on our side. We get our legs close to his hip. Then we straighten our bottom leg and pull his knees towards us and go over him for the mount.

Next one is a choke from full mount. We are mounted on the opponent. Then we take our right hand and grab his right collar and press our fist on the floor. Palm will face away from us. At this point he should feel pressure on the right side of his neck. We grab over this arm to the back of gi on his other side. Now we have him, we just gotta open our elbows and it closes in on his neck as we bend forward towards our right and beside his head on his left. Sorta looks like scissors.

Next one is a crucial technique in my opinion. The proper name for it is actually americana. I mistook it for kimura in my previous posts. Basically from full mount, if we can't get the choke above we can do this. I really like this technique. We go for either arm. We use our left on his left or our right on his right. So with my left hand I grab his left wrist. I pin it on the floor beside his head. His arm is at a right angle. Then with my right hand, I go under his elbow and grab my own wrist. Then I lift his elbow while keeping his wrist down. All I gotta do now is slide his arm downwards while keeping elbow up. Opponent will feel it easily. I sure felt it easily. Hahaha.

Halfway through the class, some new guy tried to do something that was not allowed in BJJ. I think elbowing. So the instructor stepped in and said something, "In BJJ there is no punching, kicking, elbows, eye gouge.. and no fingers in the ass etc." I lol'd. Hahaha.

The rolling was fun too. This partner was pretty fast. After that we switched partners. I got a guy who was maybe 140 pounds or less. He was pretty strong. Got some controls etc. on me.

After this class I had MMA class. It was with coach Heath Sims. We learned striking defence then takedowns. The pattern was jab, cross, left hook, right hook, left hook to body, right hook to body, left and right body straight. To block the jab and cross we have to move to the opposite side while parrying the strikes. Opponent throws his left jab, we use our right to push his hand to our left as we move right. Same for his right cross, we use our left. For hooks we gotta keep our hands on our head or we will be hit by our own hand from their punch. Body hooks we gotta block by bending to the side. We block with our forearm and elbow and hands. For straight body shots it's similar to jabs and cross. We use our forearm to block.

Next is countering the strikes. Opponent will throw 3 and 4 strike combos. Straight, cross, hook. Or straight, cross, hook, hook. We counter at the end with the hand that isn't blocking. So when he straight, cross, hook, our right hand will block and left will counter. If he does a straight, cross, hook, hook, our left will block and our right will counter.

After this was a takedown from striking. He does some combos of strikes, then drops and grabs behind our knees, moves towards his leading leg side to take us down. He will be in side control.

Next from side control, he will get into full mount. There are many ways to do this. One was was putting his knee across my stomach and just moving over. Then from here he can ground and pound us.

Next one is how to escape from full mount. This one was important. We prevent him coming too close to our chest by keeping him mounted near our stomach. Then we try to escape if he is hooking our legs so we can straighten one side. We lie on this side, then push his knee that is on this side with both hands. After we create that space, we can do many things like half guard, full guard or we can hook his arm etc. So if we lie on our left, we hook his left then bring his arm up and he will bend forward. Similar to post #13

"For the third move, we also have him in our guard. We reach under the opponent's left arm with our right hand, then we grab our right hand with our left hand, above his shoulder and lock it. Then we pull him towards us. We do a hip escape to our right, while stepping against his hip. At this point we have his hand at the right side of our neck, his arm will be in a good position for us to armbar him. His thumb will be pointing downwards and we will bring our right elbow and apply pressure downards on his elbow."

When we were sparring I did some hip thrusts and other ways to escape by pushing the opponent to one side. The instructor demonstrated how to do this move properly and also a super duper cool way to escape full mount. I really liked this one but didn't try. We do the hip thrust, then we push him upwards at his hips, lifting him. Then we quickly get full guard from there. This is awesome. I think I can use this for BJJ too. And that concluded the class.

After this was wrestling. Conducted by coach Heath again.

The 2 partners I was with were about 6'4 and 6'1 or so. One was 85 kg and the taller one was 90. So we rotated. Haha. I learned quite a number of drills and take downs. First takedown... we grab each other around the back of the shoulders. The one who is doing the takedown as his arms inside. We drop down and push his arms upwards at his elbows. Then we shoot to our right, grab him around the calves and move to the left to take him down.

Second one... we grab behind his neck with our left hand, we drop down while pushing his head down. Then we grab his left ankle with our right hand. We push with our left forearm on his chest as we pull his ankle. He will fall back.

Third one, we grab behind his neck again with our left hand. Then hold his right wrist. Then at the right moment, we hook his left arm with our left and pull his back to us. Then we drop to our knees and he will also drop.

Forth, like above, we also hold his wrist. Then we go under his arm, we gotta look up. Then we grab him from behind and we fall to our knees and he will also fall.

Last one. We grab behind his neck again, we can hold his wrist. Then we walk backwards while pushing him down. He will fall forward.

During one of the moves I fell on my back pretty hard when I was taken down by the bigger guy. Quite fun to experience that.

The wrestling rounds were cool. I got taken down and was happy that I managed to get some take downs. Both guys obviously managed to take me down. But I was only able to takedown the 85 kg guy. I think he was going easy on me. Then later the coach asked a 135 pound guy to wrestle with me. I managed to get a takedown on him. And that was the end of a very good class.

Really learned quite a lot today. But I slightly sprained my big toes on both feet and my knees are sore from a lot of kneeling. Back is also sore. Etc. Hahaha.

WillJohnson1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillJohnson1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillJohnson1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillJohnson1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillJohnson1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillJohnson1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillJohnson1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillJohnson1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillJohnson1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillJohnson1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillJohnson1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    My knees hurt like hell to from the kneeling. I take a week off every month and they are a lot better, but I'm a lot older than you. Heh, heh!

Originally Posted by WillJohnson1 View Post
    My knees hurt like hell to from the kneeling. I take a week off every month and they are a lot better, but I'm a lot older than you. Heh, heh!
    Wow. Do they still hurt even after you have been doing BJJ for a longer time? I thought they would get conditioned. For me I feel sore sometimes. But my elbows are not sore anymore.

wants to be called Dan. hcoyle545's Avatar
    hcoyle545 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hcoyle545 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hcoyle545 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hcoyle545 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hcoyle545 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hcoyle545 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hcoyle545 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hcoyle545 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hcoyle545 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hcoyle545 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hcoyle545 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    sounds like you start from down a lot if your knees are hurting so bad. Try playing guard, sit on your ass if you start from down. We mostly start from standing though.

Subbed
    BJJ / Greyskull LP log

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=166276471&p=1337135191&posted=1#post1337135191

Originally Posted by hcoyle545 View Post
    sounds like you start from down a lot if your knees are hurting so bad. Try playing guard, sit on your ass if you start from down. We mostly start from standing though.

Subbed
    Thanks man. I think I also have a habit of moving around the mat kneeling which adds to this.

Sup dude, how's the training going?

Finally got into it. Doing no gi bjj 4x a week and muay thai 1x/2x a week. Absolutely loving it. Feel so helpless when I get rolled around like a rag doll and can barely keep myself from panicking.

NJNoodles is not very helpful. (-500) NJNoodles is not very helpful. (-500) NJNoodles is not very helpful. (-500) NJNoodles is not very helpful. (-500) NJNoodles is not very helpful. (-500) NJNoodles is not very helpful. (-500) NJNoodles is not very helpful. (-500) NJNoodles is not very helpful. (-500) NJNoodles is not very helpful. (-500) NJNoodles is not very helpful. (-500) NJNoodles is not very helpful. (-500)
    Start doing Yoga.
    It will help with needed flexibility and balance that your previous training has most likely not given you.

SteveGolds is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SteveGolds is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SteveGolds is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SteveGolds is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SteveGolds is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SteveGolds is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SteveGolds is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SteveGolds is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SteveGolds is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SteveGolds is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SteveGolds is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Great log man