Closed Thread
Page 1 of 349 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast
    Buff bride to be imperfectly_lou's Avatar
    imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Lou's "I'm Bringing Muscle Back!" Journal

I have decided to start a journal so I (and others) can track my progress....

As a brief intro, I am 21 years old, full time law student.

I first started exercising about 18 months ago when I was suffering badly from anorexia. As a result of hours of cardio and no weight training, my weight plumetted to 110lbs and my body fat skyrocketed to 27%...... Basically I was bony but "soft".

My movement into weight training has been the most important part of my recovery from my eating disorder. I was NEVER an ahtletic child, but now, my training is practically my life. I look forward to each and every workout (well, almost always!)

So I started increasing my food and protein intake and lifting heavy weights. I have an old recurring knee injury which prevents me from going too heavy on my legs.

Tomorrow I will post some photos of me taken in April. I have just taken some updated photos so I will post them shortly. Unfortunately, I spent two weeks in August very ill and lost nearly 10lbs... a lot of that was hard-earned muscle so I feel I am almost back to square one

I am currently 5"6.5 and about 118lbs (I try to stay away from the scale for my recovery). Approx 19% body fat. Would love to get down to 14-15

At the moment I am doing the Muscle and Fitness Hers Look Great in Eight (I am in Week 5). After I finish that, I will repeat the Rock Hard Challenge which I did earlier this year (and made fantastic strength and size gains). I like having a set program to follow.

TODAY'S WORKOUT

15min warm up walk on treadmill

Circuit training - 12reps per exercise, repeat 3 times

Bent over BB row
    Incline DB press
    Walking lunges
    Romanian deadlift
    Hip thrust
    Arnold press
    Tricep pressdown
    Standing BB curl

20min run on treadmill at 10.3km/h

Cals burned: 420

TODAY'S NUTRITION

I had class all day....

6am - 1/2 cup oats

Post workout - Protein shake, glutamine, carrot sticks (running late for class!)

12:00 - 2 pieces of dark rye bread with organic PB, one apple

3:00 - Chicken sandwich with avocado, low fat cheese and mushrooms

7:00 - 200g tuna in water mixed with 50g wholegrain pasta, some tomato based sauce and a little bit of low fat ricotta

I was naughty and had some jelly snakes today too No, my eaitng isn't perfect, but I am working on it.

This is about 1500cals, 130g protein. I have trouble getting a lot of protein the days I have uni all day...

Thats it for me today

imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Tuesday's I train with a friend of mine Jenny.

I love her to death but she drives me batty sometimes! She is so obsessed with her weight and she won't listen to me when I try to tell her to eat more and lift weights rather than running 8km a day!

Anyway she is good to do cardio with, Tuesday is long cardio day.

I did a 15mins gentle warm up on the recumbant bike
    20min run at 10.3km/h
    20 mins low intensity on the rower
    20mins stair climber
    20 mins cool down/low intensity on the bike

Cals burnt: 600cals

It sounds like a lot but I kept my HR at under 160bpm the whole time. I only do one day of long steady cardio.

NUTRITION

I only have 1-2 cheat meals a week and today was the day

Breakfast - 6 egg whites, 1/3 cup oatmeal

Cheat after workout - Low fat choc ice cream with some M&Ms (yummmm)

Lunch - Sushi with avocado, tuna and carrot

Dinner - 200g chicken breast, 40g (dry measure) of brown rice mixed with kidney beans, carrots, peas and broccoli

Total = 1342calories approx 115g protein

Hmmm I didn't eat enough today! Admittedly I slept for quite a few hours during the day (burnt out from study and recent illness)

I was interested to read an article on Timea Marjorova (sp?) in the latest Oxygen. She only eats 1,200-1,500cals per day........ seems crazy, she is so buff!

I have class all day tomorrow again but thankfully I am not working tomorow night so I should be able to do a bit of cooking.

Edit: Added a glass of warm milk at about 10pm........ does anyone else find warm milk really filling??? So add 150cals, 10g protein....

1492cals, 125g protein

Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Looks good Lou. You could probably go a little higher on the calories -- like around 1,800 -- especially on workout days. You're young and active and need the calories to do all that exercising and studying!
    "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7

GOOOOO COCKS!!!!!! GOOOOO STEELERS!!!!!

playmaker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I can understand you loo, its not easy to eat when u have classes all day long i have the same problem thats why i could not eat more than 1300-1400 cals. I think 130-150gr of protein is fine anyway, you are doing great girl continue the hard work!!

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Hey Lou,

I agree with Hibiscus - watch out for your calories. On the day that you do your long cardio session you are burning 600 cals just for exercise - add in the afterburn effect and your other daily activities, along with your basal metabolic needs and you really should be eating much more on that day.

About class - Have you tried taking something like dry roasted chick-peas or chopped hard boiled egg and then snacking on these between lectures? They are easy to eat and would not be too much hassle. Some almonds might also be an alternative.

Otherwise - looks good!! Keep it up.

Thanks for the comments girls! I am working on slowly increasing my calories so I appreciate your feedback....

Emma - those are some good snack ideas, thank you! Any ideas about where to get dry roasted chick peas from? I have never seen them.

Wednesday 10 September

Very tired today.... I have been working until 11:30 at night and then getting up at 6am for my workouts and then heading off to uni for 4 hrs of classes, I am off to bed very soon I think!

TODAY'S WORKOUT

15min warm up walk on treadmill

Circuit training - 12reps per exercise, repeat 3 times

Bent over BB row
    Incline DB press
    Walking lunges
    Romanian deadlift
    Hip thrust
    Arnold press
    Tricep pressdown
    Standing BB curl

Cardio - I did 30mins of HIIT on the bike today... my legs were screaming for mercy! By the 8min mark I was stuffed!!!!!!!

I then spent a good 20-30mins stretching, I really needed it.

CALORIES BURNT 420

At the beginning of this year, I set myself a few goals for fitness, and one of them was to be able to do the splits again (last time was when I was about 12, so 9 years ago). I am getting there!

TODAY'S NUTRITION

I think I did pretty well today

6:15am - 6 egg whites, 1 piece of dark rye toast

Post workout 9:15am - Protein shake, carrot sticks

12:00 - 2 pieces of dark rye bread with natural PB

3:00 - Apple

4:00 - a very late lunch! I try to wait until I get home from class to eat lunch. I had a chicken, avocado and low fat cheese sandwich on low GI multigrain bread.

7:30 - 50g (dry measure) of wholegrain pasta with 100g tuna and tomato based sauce

TOTAL CALORIES = 1375 140G PROTEIN (41%)

Normally I would try to get another meal in before bed but it is 8:00 now and I think I will get to bed soon.....

What I don't really like about today's nutrition is that I seem to eat a fair bit later in the day due to classes. Fortunately, uni will be over for the summer soon so then I will be able to change things up a bit.

Tomorrow I am just doing a light day... a body combat class at 6:15am.

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally posted by imperfectly_lou
    those are some good snack ideas, thank you! Any ideas about where to get dry roasted chick peas from? I have never seen them.
    You can get dry roasted chick peas from the health food section at Woolies, and can also find them at the health food store that is combines with Iku next to NSW Bodybuilding on Oxford St. You can also roast them yourself by getting canned chick-peas, rinsing them and spreading them on a baking tray then roasting them in the oven on low.

You might also want to try dry roasted soybeans from Russels Health food (now GNC) in Glebe. - They are really yummy and not too bad in terms of nutrients.

Other things -
    * Why not take tubs of yoghurt as well?
    * Make a shake with skim milk, fat-free, sugar free yoghurt, some berries or low GI fruit, protein powder and cinnamon and keep it in a thermos
    * Make some home-made slices and cut these up into little bits or cut up a protein bar into bits and snack on this

Thanks for the suggestions Emma - I will definitely check them out. Yoghurt is a good idea actually...... hadn't thought of that one

Weigh in - Thursday 11/9

Haven't weighed myself for over a month. In the meantime I got sick and dropped a ton of weight.

Fortunately, I have regained it all.

This morn I was at 119lbs, and supposedly 21.5%BF although I really don't believe those Tanita scales..... I think my body fat is less than that.

Thursday 11th September

Loooong day today!

I got up at 5:30am for my 6:15am hour-long body Combat class which I hadn't done since I was sick. I can't believe how sore I am in my back and biceps! A good sore though!

My biggest achievement today ----- I have been working on increasing my water intake as I have problems with that. I have had 3 litres today and NO diet coke (unbelievable!!!!)

Calories burned in my 1hr class - 320

TODAY'S NUTRITION

8AM - 6 egg whites, 1 piece of rye bread toast

9:00AM - A skim latte

11:45AM - 2 pieces of dark rye bread, organic PB

3:30PM - 2 pieces of multigrain low GI bread, I00g chicken, low fat cheese and avocado grilled sandwich

8:00PM - 100g chicken, 50g brown rice mixed with kidney beans, peas, carrot and broccoli

TOTAL CALORIES = 1317CALS 116g of protein (35%)

Eeeek... I didn't realise how bad today was until I put it down on "paper"...
    * Not enough food
    * Not eating regularly enough
    * Not enough protein

It is strange, I would think that because I had been up since so early, I would be hungry today... I dunno

I am at work and have a protein bar in my bag.... I probably should eat it right??? hmmmmm I know..... I know.... eeeek

Thank god it's Friday tomorrow!

Re: Thursday 11th September

Hey Lou!

Yay for drinking more water!

You have recognised the problems in your diet -
    * Not enough food
    * Not eating regularly enough
    * Not enough protein
    So you have a goal to work towards. Try to aim for constantly eating 1600 cals a day. This would be done by adding another meal. Something like a tub of yoghurt and a can of tuna.

I would also add:
    * Not enough calcium and iron
    So try to eat a few more things with these (dark green leafy vegetables like spinach, almonds, dairy) or make sure you take a good calcuim suppliment and a good multivitamin.

Keep it up!

ps: I hope you ate that protein bar!!

Yes I did eat the protein bar thanks Emma! I was hungry!

I went shopping today and I got some of those chick pea nuts (they are really yummy) and some almond spready to try instead of PB... so thanks for the tips.

I got my mum to take some posing photos for my last Sunday. I got them back today and I am... quite frankly... horrified.

My last pictures were taken in April when I had only been working out for 6 or so months so I was still only little but I had some nice tone coming through.

So I get sick, lose weight and despite having gained the weight back...

My photos are horrible. I look sooo gaunt and thin with like zero muscle tone I was looking really good before I got sick, but now... ughhhh, I look like I belong on the cover of Shape rather than M&F... no actually those shape girls probably have even more tone than me at the moment

I am not going to post the photos. They really are awful.

Am going out to dinner tonight with my boyfriend so I will post today's nutrition etc tomorrow morning.

Yes I did eat the protein bar thanks Emma! I was hungry!

I went shopping today and I got some of those chick pea nuts (they are really yummy) and some almond spready to try instead of PB... so thanks for the tips.

I got my mum to take some posing photos for my last Sunday. I got them back today and I am... quite frankly... horrified.

My last pictures were taken in April when I had only been working out for 6 or so months so I was still only little but I had some nice tone coming through.

So I get sick, lose weight and despite having gained the weight back...

My photos are horrible. I look sooo gaunt and thin with like zero muscle tone I was looking really good before I got sick, but now... ughhhh, I look like I belong on the cover of Shape rather than M&F... no actually those shape girls probably have even more tone than me at the moment
    You are welcome for the tips - they are yummy arn't they!! You wait till your try the almond paste

Lou - Don't get too upset about your photos. We all have set backs and being sick was hardly your fault! The important thing is to get right back to work. Remember - your muscles have 'memory' and so it will be easier to gain back that muscle mass the second time around.

One of the reasons you are probably not making as much progress as you would like is because you are not eating enough - specifically working on this (particularly increasing your quality proteins) will see you making more gains.

I remember you said it once yourself - when you increased your cals to 1800 a day you could see the difference in your muscles. Do it again - over the next few weeks, work your calories up slowly and see what happens! You might surprise yourself at your progress.

Also - Try changing your training. You are at a point where you can start more serious techniques. So - instead of curcuits start doing supersets or other 'plateau busting' techniques like cheat reps, pyramid sets and matrix routines. These should help. You might also want to take your cardio down to five days a week at the most. Doing six days a week of cardio is going to be putting that much more stress on your body and make muscle building that much harder.

Stay positive.

Enjoy your meal
    Last edited by Emma-Leigh; 09-11-2003 at 11:07 PM.

Friday 12th September

Thank you so much for your support Emma

I am currently doing the M & F Hers Look Great in 8 program. This week was week 5 so it was circuit training, next week is heavy weights, week after supersets... I don't just stick to one training technique. I prefer pyramid sets myself.

TODAY'S WORKOUT

Circuit routine as per Mon and Wed
    20 mins run at 10.3km/h
    10mins cool down on rower

TOTAL CALS BURNED = 480

TODAY'S NUTRITION

6:30am - 6 egg whites, 1/3 cup oatmeal

10:00am - Post workout protein bar

2:00pm - Sushi with avocado, tuna and carrot (I was stuck in a meeting until this time and my stomach was growling so loudly people could hear it!)

4:00pm - 9 egg whites

7:00pm - My boyfriend took me out for dinner so I tried to make healthy choices. I had only one drink, a southern comfort with diet coke and then for dinner, grilled chicken with like a salsa with a tiny bit of pesto... yummy!

TOTAL CALS I am going to have ot guess a bit and say 1,600 with about 130g protein.

Good news! My boyfriend finally got my MP3 player working so now I have music for gym! I am so sick of people interrupting my workouts! I have a killer ab workout planned for tomorrow too! Then a nice rest day and sleep in on Sunday!

Have a good weekend all

Re: Friday 12th September

Thank you so much for your support Emma

I am currently doing the M & F Hers Look Great in 8 program. This week was week 5 so it was circuit training, next week is heavy weights, week after supersets... I don't just stick to one training technique. I prefer pyramid sets myself.
    K.. Sorry about that! I was wondering what you were still doing curcuits for when you seemed to have a lot more experience than that!

JAmanda has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Come on lou Im creeping up behind you on the calorie front!!!(na I know exactly how hard it is, I also understand the difficulty in fitting in all the meals we should be having. I think what I need to do is eat more calorie dense food rather than filling up on veges etc.... What protein bars do you buy?? Im still at 1000 calories aday and am pretty full, but my eyeballs are not popping yet so I will continue to increase. I went to the gym today after my run to do some abs, I was really happy with the I am looking and know exactly the areas that I want to improve. So maybe lou you need to also include some more calorie dense food to make the numbers!! Good work with the day without diet coke, wow how did you do that!!!

Hey Amanda

I loooooove the Aussie Bodies ProteinFX bars - the choc malt crisp and the choc mint crisp are to die for! I don't normally like protein bars but these are sooo yummy. Only 240cals, 20g protein and only 5g fat, try them out!

Thanks dude I definately will take you up on those bars- that will add a few more calories. Bugger about the rice cakes they were nice (it was brown rice) doesnt that have a lower GI- or still too high.

Originally posted by JAmanda
    Thanks dude I definately will take you up on those bars- that will add a few more calories. Bugger about the rice cakes they were nice (it was brown rice) doesnt that have a lower GI- or still too high.
    Nope, unfortunately brown rice rice cakes are still high GI. An apple would be a good alternative though.

Saturday 13 September

Have had a pretty good day today, despite having to be at work for 12 hrs. 12 hrs sitting on my butt = pretty inactive!

TODAY'S WORKOUT

15mins warm up
    30min ab workout
    Body Attack class.

Cals burned = 400cals

TODAY'S NUTRITION

7:30am - 1/3 cup oatmeal, 6 egg whites

11:00am - Post workout protein bar

1:30pm - 300g chicken, avocado and low fat cheese (sooo yummy)

5:00pm - 50g chick pea nuts (these are great Emma! you get so many for 50g unlike ordinary nuts!)

8:15pm - 50g pasta, 100g tuna with tomato based pasta sauce and low fat ricotta

11:00pm - 1 glass milk

TOTAL CALS 1613CALS, 160g protein (42%)

I had a lot more protein than usual today. It is amazing how much more filling protein is.

A few months ago my boyfriend bought me a MP3 player which got its first workout this morning! It is fantastic! No one bothered me, and the music was so motivating. I was doing my warm up walk and I wanted to run run run!

Have a good weekend everyone!

I get a sleep in tomorrow thank god!
    Last edited by imperfectly_lou; 09-13-2003 at 06:05 AM.

Good work, Im going to try and see if I can find the chick pea nuts somewhere. You are so right protein is so much more filling than other foods, I can just imagine how filling 300grams of chicken was!! You have given me a push to try and eat more tomorrow-maybe Ill try what you ate,will see.

Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hey guys, I haven't had it in a while, but ya'll made me think of it. Hummus is really good -- it's mashed chick peas.

I also just looked & found a site with a bunch of recipes for different types -- although I always just bought mine in the grocery store.

http://www.fatfree.com/recipes/hummus/

It's great on veggies or wedges of whole wheat pita.
    "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7

Thanks for the recipe Hibiscus. I will pass it onto my mum and sister who love hummus. Despite liking chick peas in salad and those nuts, I hate hummus! I am not much of a "dip and pate" kind of person

LOL -- you're welcome. My husband says it tastes like doggie poo smells.

Talking

Hehe I dont think he is far off!

Hey Amanda and other girls needing to bump up on calories..... I have a good pre-bed solution!

Warm milk!

Ok it won't be too good for much longer here (it is starting to get hot) but it is soooooo filling and 250mls gives you nearly 10g of protein including casein which is good for overnight repair.

I actually am at work so I had full cream milk (these women wonder why they are fat!) but calorie wise, it only has about 30-50cals more than skim milk and I need more fat in my diet anyway.... the fat makes it a lot more filling I think. I migth try it with like 2% milk next time.

Just a tip!

I am getting all sleepy now and damn I have to drive home from work!

9:22 in morning here! Sweet dreams!

Thanks for that wee tip Lou, I think between us all we can work out a solution to everybodies problems(haha). I have got rid of the rice cakes, and today I am going to try and have alittle less diet coke (thats probably filling me up too much and maybe thats why I dont feel like eating all the calories I should). Look foward to seeing how your day went.