Tohsy is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Offered a free Bowflex - Worth the space?

Hello everyone,

I'm moving into my first house (yay) and have been offered a free Boxflex from a relative. They've had it for awhile (~10 years maybe), so is an older model and would likely take up some decent space. I was previously planning on getting a power rack/cage for my garage for my barbell set, but that would be several months away potentially while getting the house in working order. I currently have some adjustable dumbells (PowerBlocks), a 300 lb Barbell set with Landmine attachment, resistance tubes, TRX, adjustable bench, Concept 2 Rower and roll-up mat. This has been sufficient for most of my workout, although some movements were eliminated since the ceiling was too low in my apartment.

Curious to know your thoughts on this, I could definitely see myself using some movements on the machine (like a lat pull/resistance curl) since I'm on the weaker side for arms/upper body, so it wouldn't be a total waste.

Let me know what you guys think, I'm definitely excited to finally be able to workout out again without shuffling around my apartment. Haven't gone to the gym since the pandemic started, but tried to keep up with what I could.

EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Tohsy View Post
    Hello everyone,

I'm moving into my first house (yay) and have been offered a free Boxflex from a relative. They've had it for awhile (~10 years maybe), so is an older model and would likely take up some decent space. I was previously planning on getting a power rack/cage for my garage for my barbell set, but that would be several months away potentially while getting the house in working order. I currently have some adjustable dumbells (PowerBlocks), a 300 lb Barbell set with Landmine attachment, resistance tubes, TRX, adjustable bench, Concept 2 Rower and roll-up mat. This has been sufficient for most of my workout, although some movements were eliminated since the ceiling was too low in my apartment.

Curious to know your thoughts on this, I could definitely see myself using some movements on the machine (like a lat pull/resistance curl) since I'm on the weaker side for arms/upper body, so it wouldn't be a total waste.

Let me know what you guys think, I'm definitely excited to finally be able to workout out again without shuffling around my apartment. Haven't gone to the gym since the pandemic started, but tried to keep up with what I could.
    Congrats on the house!
    Don’t get the bowflex. I thought the bowflex thread was a sticky, but I don’t see it anymore.
    I quote with pics. ()---() York Barbell Club #78 (DD) ()---()
    My gym walk thru: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=1629553623#post1629553623

Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Take it, sell it and put the money towards the power rack.

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by EricAtl View Post
    Congrats on the house!
    Don’t get the bowflex. I thought the bowflex thread was a sticky, but I don’t see it anymore.
    I still see it stickied.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...91&pagenumber=

Wouldn't get it.

urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'd pick it up, worst case scenario use it for a little while then sell it off when you are ready to buy a rack. BLowflex are not greatest machines, people mainly hate them for their deceptive marketing and bloated pricing, but like anything else if used consistently you can get results in the short run. Heck if anything just use it as a chest fly machine, you could do far worse for free.....
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #58 ▪█─────█▪

GYM80JPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) GYM80JPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) GYM80JPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) GYM80JPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) GYM80JPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) GYM80JPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) GYM80JPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) GYM80JPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) GYM80JPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) GYM80JPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) GYM80JPS will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you can get any use out of it, even for just a couple exercises and don't need the space, go for it. Sell it for some $ towards a rack once it becomes a blob in the corner like the guys above said.

cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The key for Bowflex is people that use them usually want to get ripped but not too big. So it depends on your goals....I'm kidding.

If your plan was to get a rack, barbell, weights then just go straight to that. If the BowFlex is there it will likely allow you to push off getting a proper set up because you have 'something.'

Now, if the equipment you want it back ordered and will be a long time until you get it then sure, get it but get the order going on the rack. If you're waiting for use pricing to come down to pre-Covid prices you'll be waiting a long time.
    {5'7" and under #1}
    ▪█───█▪ Equipment Crew #77 ▪█───█▪
    [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew - Can't recall number [M]===[6]

sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I had 1 many years ago because I needed something I could use inside an old house I had at the time. Pros: Quiet; fit the space very well; no concentration of heavy weight on a small area of the floor (conventional foundation, ancient house); no paint or rust flakes everywhere. Cons: Even with extra heavy-duty rods, you will out grow the resistance fast and as others have said, while it's better than nothing, it is no competition for free weights.

I'd get it just to have something until you can get what you really want, provided the relative's feelings won't be hurt when you sell it or give it away.

RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Take it and sell it++
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #44 ||---||

Registered User Lifts4longevity's Avatar
    Lifts4longevity is just really nice. (+1000) Lifts4longevity is just really nice. (+1000) Lifts4longevity is just really nice. (+1000) Lifts4longevity is just really nice. (+1000) Lifts4longevity is just really nice. (+1000) Lifts4longevity is just really nice. (+1000) Lifts4longevity is just really nice. (+1000) Lifts4longevity is just really nice. (+1000) Lifts4longevity is just really nice. (+1000) Lifts4longevity is just really nice. (+1000) Lifts4longevity is just really nice. (+1000)
    I would take the Bowflex as others have advised and use it until you can get funding together for the items you actually want. A bonus to Bowflex is the fact you can get replacement parts cheap and they are readily available online (like on Ebay).....unless Covid has affected Bowflex as well(???). Wait until pandemic pricing settles down and equipment becomes available again.

Limited workouts are better than no workouts at all. You can always sell the Bowflex later on (or if you don't like it). Just my 2 cents....
    ***Everybody pities the weak....but jealousy, you have to earn!***

Cancer free since 2006, but fighting the battle daily

Tohsy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for all the feedback. I still have some time thankfully to decide, but will definitely consider taking it and selling it later on. If anything, it'll likely work well in the basement since it has a lower ceiling and I should have some space compared to the garage.