NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Hoof Grip Weightlifting (cuz goats ain't got opposable thumbs)

Hoof Grip.. Kinda like Hook Grip without thumbs..

Why Hoof Grip? Cuz goats are my mascots, brahs. They are cool animals. They are incredibly cute as babies; they are intelligent; and they are amazing athletes considering their agility, their madskillz balancing on tree branches, and their ability to explosively jump high with their powerful hips.

It's been a while since I documented training. I still train. I have gone through some evolutionary changes as far as my technique. But being a masters aged lifter, my most significant progress is the fact that I NO LONGER USE BELT, KNEE WRAPS, and WRIST WRAPS. I was able to wean myself off my doing prehab exercises to strengthen my core and joints. Not saying lifters should not use these implements. But what I'm saying is that it is so common for many older lifters to use age as an excuse and they usually end up using these tools as crutches instead of aids because something hurts.

Age is just a number.

The other significant progress....I have been training off-season as a sub 190-lb lifter. I no longer have to worry about 'making weight' next meet as I am within my weight class of 87-kg.

Today's training:

CJ up to 205-lbs. Then did Front Squats triples up to 225-lbs.

Today's lesson: Equipment makes a difference. I was using cheap bar that didn't roll properly. Almost missed the 205-clean portion due to lack of rotation.
    This above all..
    To thine ownself be true..
    And it must follow, as the night the day..
    Thou can'st not then be false to any man..
    -----------------------------------------------
    Bros, my Weightlifters and Powerlifters are my credentials.

Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by NorwichGrad View Post
    Hoof Grip.. Kinda like Hook Grip without thumbs..

Why Hoof Grip? Cuz goats are my mascots, brahs. They are cool animals. They are incredibly cute as babies; they are intelligent; and they are amazing athletes considering their agility, their madskillz balancing on tree branches, and their ability to explosively jump high with their powerful hips.

It's been a while since I documented training. I still train. I have gone through some evolutionary changes as far as my technique. But being a masters aged lifter, my most significant progress is the fact that I NO LONGER USE BELT, KNEE WRAPS, and WRIST WRAPS. I was able to wean myself off my doing prehab exercises to strengthen my core and joints. Not saying lifters should not use these implements. But what I'm saying is that it is so common for many older lifters to use age as an excuse and they usually end up using these tools as crutches instead of aids because something hurts.

Age is just a number.

The other significant progress....I have been training off-season as a sub 190-lb lifter. I no longer have to worry about 'making weight' next meet as I am within my weight class of 87-kg.

Today's training:

CJ up to 205-lbs. Then did Front Squats triples up to 225-lbs.

Today's lesson: Equipment makes a difference. I was using cheap bar that didn't roll properly. Almost missed the 205-clean portion due to lack of rotation.
    Good to see you posting in here!

Do you do any hypertrophy work?

I had to start making modifications when I went back to this type of lifting almost right away, I eliminated "jumping" as a cue. It does not work for me, and my knees/hips tended to be sore. Since my pulling and pushing stance is not much different it did not seem to matter, coming off my heels and toes a bit is fine, but excessively re-placing my feet and hammering the platform is not so good for me, things have been better for me sine I made this change, and I think my lifting is a little more smoother...which is important for my old structure.

Off and on I do a lot of simple complexes with lighter weight, sometimes on the minute, this helps me build some manageable volume within my truncated ability to recover, the EMOMS help keep tight control over the pace of my gym time.

Further... from time to time I do a fair bit of conditioning when I have time, and do a lot of walking to keep the waist line manageable.

Depending on how I do overall this summer I may approach a club-coach and try competing. Making the time to comply with someone else's schedule I find to be difficult now that the buck stops here at work...I can't be reliable to others outside of work as much as I would like to be.
    Please record my time/reps if I pass out

NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Cantplankwell View Post
    Good to see you posting in here!

Do you do any hypertrophy work?

I had to start making modifications when I went back to this type of lifting almost right away, I eliminated "jumping" as a cue. It does not work for me, and my knees/hips tended to be sore. Since my pulling and pushing stance is not much different it did not seem to matter, coming off my heels and toes a bit is fine, but excessively re-placing my feet and hammering the platform is not so good for me, things have been better for me sine I made this change, and I think my lifting is a little more smoother...which is important for my old structure.

Off and on I do a lot of simple complexes with lighter weight, sometimes on the minute, this helps me build some manageable volume within my truncated ability to recover, the EMOMS help keep tight control over the pace of my gym time.

Further... from time to time I do a fair bit of conditioning when I have time, and do a lot of walking to keep the waist line manageable.

Depending on how I do overall this summer I may approach a club-coach and try competing. Making the time to comply with someone else's schedule I find to be difficult now that the buck stops here at work...I can't be reliable to others outside of work as much as I would like to be.

Thanks, bruh.

I highly recommend bodybuilding type of training to all strength athletes. There is this nonsense broscience going around that bodybuilding is detrimental to weightlifting. Oddly, only American weightlifters promote this. Chinese and many Eastern Bloc weightlifters include bodybuilding in their training as a supplement.

Muscles will only aid in weightlifting as long as the lifter already has sound technique and proper level of mobility and flexibility.

Regarding your feet, here is great video on the subject:

I gravitate towards a smoother transition like the Chinese, but lately I have been experimenting with a more aggressive third pull like the Russians. We have to do what works for us. We have to be open-minded and be willing to experiment, but I always say we cannot be dogmatic with our training.

You really should compete. Even without a brick-and-mortar coach, you should compete. You have very good technique already. What makes first time competitors hesitant is the fact that in the back of their heads they have this feeling that they are entering a competition only to compete against OTHERS. This is not a good outlook. I tell first time competitors it's always you versus you.
    This above all..

This is Britanny. She will enter her second meet at the end of August.

This morning was max day so I can spot the weak links and program it into her ramp up routine leading up to the meet.

She also set a snatch PR at 57-kg. The red plates CJ are becoming easy for her.

The purpose of programming is to strengthen the weakness while maintaining strengths. It's that simple.

This above all..

Snatch Day

Snatch singles up to 60-kg.

Then did technique work.

Technique and strength certainly are important in Weightlifting. But these are not the only elements that are important.

Other factors should be considered – flexibility, mobility, timing, coordination, precision, and mental state.

If a lifter has ‘wonky’ lifts in lighter weights, it’s not necessarily due to lack of strength or poor technique. Sometimes it may simply be because the lifter has not taken the time to stretch out and do empty bar mobility work.

This is what happened this morning. I was all over the place with weights that are relatively light. I rushed loading up instead of taking the time to ‘GROOVE IN’ the movements.

Today’s lessons learned: Groove in the movement before adding weights.

This above all..

Squats and Bro-build Day

Back Squats Triples
    Overhead Press
    Lat Pulldown
    Curlz
    This above all..

Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good job with Britanny!

What ever happened to "Buddy", I think his name was?

"Groovin in"......... know exactly what you mean...at 53 it takes quite a work up some days to get into the zone for sure, that zone might only last for a few sets. And if something is off, I was feeling rushed, couldn't find my favorite shirt or compression shorts, socks, did not get the exact amount to eat/sleep etc, then it deeply affects my lifting. Sometimes I wonder why I do this kind of lifting at all LOL,

Good job with Britanny!

What ever happened to "Buddy", I think his name was?

"Groovin in"......... know exactly what you mean...at 53 it takes quite a work up some days to get into the zone for sure, that zone might only last for a few sets. And if something is off, I was feeling rushed, couldn't find my favorite shirt or compression shorts, socks, did not get the exact amount to eat/sleep etc, then it deeply affects my lifting. Sometimes I wonder why I do this kind of lifting at all LOL,
    Buddy is in college now. Second year at Penn State majoring in engineering.

Yeah, bro. The worst thing older lifters do is rush the lifts without proper groove in. That's how we end up in Snap City.
    This above all..

CJ up to 90-kg.
    GHR + Situps 3 rounds.
    Boom. Short and sweet.

This above all..

HEY NG, nice session

Just out of curiosity what cue would you tell someone to imagine when getting under a heavy jerk? I struggle with heavier weight, that I can easily clean, its like I lack "confidence" or "aggression" to get under, or I am just plain too slow.

Thanks!

HEY NG, nice session

Just out of curiosity what cue would you tell someone to imagine when getting under a heavy jerk? I struggle with heavier weight, that I can easily clean, its like I lack "confidence" or "aggression" to get under, or I am just plain too slow.

Thanks!
    Everybody is different. Some lifters, the jerk comes naturally. To some, it may take a while to get it.

Simple cue I use: Dip and drive.

But here are some guidelines:
    a. Dip Phase
    i) Center of gravity must be at mid foot.
    ii) Imagine there’s a wall behind you, 4 inches away. Touch the wall with your glutes. This is important to charge your posterior chain. Much like the power must come from the posterior chain in both the snatch and clean, the power must also come from posterior chain in the jerk.
    iii) Don’t dip too deep. Shallow dip is all you need. Like an inch down. The deeper you dip, the more power you will need to exert unnecessarily. Watch Ilia Ilyin’s jerk style.

b. Drive Phase
    i) Pop your hips like you mean it.
    ii) Jump under the bar as you punch the ceiling with the bar. Stick that bar to the roof.
    iii) The more aggressive you are, the lighter it will feel.

Common mistakes in the jerk is the fact that lifter sometimes ‘relax’ on top of the final position. You don’t ever want to relax as the weight of the bar will collapse your position.

Next time you jerk let me know and I will provide feedback.
    This above all..

Snatch
    CJ
    Front Squats Triples up to 245-lbs.

Back and Front Squats are the lifeblood of the weightlifter. 1RM PRs are not as important as 3RMs especially in front squats.

In theory, 3RM FS = CJ

So if a lifter has, say 300-lb FS but he can "only" do 200-lb, the ratio suggests the lifter has more opportunities to increase CJ.

This above all..

Coached Brittany. Then did some lifting.

Turn up volume. Cuz Pavarotti makes Weightlifting sound epic.

This above all..

Yesterday was brobuilding. Bi, tri, delts, back. High reps. Going for the pump.

Today CJs.
    This above all..

Snatches to 145-lb.

Britanny set 68-kg Cleans PR.

This above all..

Who is your favorite lifter?

Like a lot of people, Lu Xiaojun is my ideal, also like Toshiki Yamamoto who I think is another smooth lifter. Both obviously do a lot of accessory bro work, in Xiaojun's case, aside from genetics there is absolutely a science to his methods.

Who is your favorite lifter?

Like a lot of people, Lu Xiaojun is my ideal, also like Toshiki Yamamoto who I think is another smooth lifter. Both obviously do a lot of accessory bro work, in Xiaojun's case, aside from genetics there is absolutely a science to his methods.
    I gravitate towards WLers who are in the same weightclass.

Lu and Toshiki are definitely on my list.

But I also like Max Lang from Germany and Mohamed Ihab from Egypt.
    This above all..

Snatch daily max.

Snatch complex - Hip snatch + hang snatch from above knee + hang snatch from below knee

Snatch grip push press from behind the neck

Lat pulldown

This above all..

Ramping up for her next meet. Snatching the blues, CJing the reds, and she set Cleans PR @ 70-kg.

Then I did some lifting after coaching her.
    This above all..

Daily max. The complexes.

This above all..

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    G, thanks for keeping it real all up in here.

Good job on those lifts.

~Goats Rule the Earth~
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

Originally Posted by Mark1T View Post
    G, thanks for keeping it real all up in here.

Good job on those lifts.

~Goats Rule the Earth~

Thanks, bro. Remember: It's all about looks. Here in America, it's 99% LOOKS and only 1% performance.

-----

Let's talk about dominoes.

A perfect setup will allow for a perfect 1st pull.

A perfect 1st pull will allow for a perfect 2nd pull.

A perfect 2nd pull will allow for a perfect 3rd pull.

Any of these dominoes gets out of whacked, the whole lift will look like a stoned goat overdosing on crack.

Now, let's talk about the first pull, particularly the importance of Center of Gravity. (CoG)

During the 1st pull, CoG must be MIDFOOT. This is known as "flat-footed pull."

Flat-footed pull accomplishes two things:

a) The base of support on the way to second pull remains SOLID as a goat in heat.

b) It will allow the lifter to maintain the coiled posterior chain, and it will be explosive upon correct delivery of the second pull.

c) It will allow for a faster third pull, as the top of the pull will provide that stretch shortening cycle which will basically catapult the lifter down fast.

This above all..

67-KG CJ PR.

This above all..

ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Just wanted to pop in and say hi

Impressive PR by your lifter, and the goat at the end of the videos is adorable.
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55
    Meet lifts : Squat 275 | Bench 170 | Dead 400

Journal : http://tinyurl.com/80s-lifting-journal

mom to 3 boys / spend my life at grocery store crew