Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
    Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Dodge Ram is the best pickup ever built. Good find.

I'm really loving all the kettlebell work. Someone else around here likes tactical strength training now.
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by grouchyjarhead View Post
    I'll take more weight in the squat over bench any day of the week.

Absolutely.
    365 255 480 in April! ...2019
    ☻/
    /▌
    / \ sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)

grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Marius_Ursus View Post
    Dodge Ram is the best pickup ever built. Good find.

I'm really loving all the kettlebell work. Someone else around here likes tactical strength training now.
    The wife and I have been using kettlebells for a while now. We were both using them for accessory work in 2007, but it wasn't until 2009 that we really started using them seriously. I went away from them for a while (I was more into my Judo training) but my wife stuck with it, and got hooked on kettlebell sport in 2012. That same year she became a kettlebell instructor through the American Kettlebell Alliance and now teaches classes throughout the week. I've been wanting to get back into it as I only competed once (double jerk event with two 20kg kettlebells) so I'm trying to work my way to doing a biathlon (double jerks for 10 minutes, rest an hour, then one-arm snatches for 10 minutes).

I'm deconditioned (over 18 months of just working and not much else) so I'm starting off somewhat light with 16kg for both events and trying to build up to the time without pushing it too hard. My wife's preference is long cycle (clean and jerk each rep), and she's working towards her Master of Sport ranking with the 24kg.

RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hey grouchy ....what type of program are you running?...I guess I'll spend a little time reading back I might get that answer myself....Thanks again for dropping by my journal
    "You got soul and everybody knows that its alright".....Curtis Mayfield........"Eat to be strong weights and reps"....Me....."leave the gun take the cannoli".....Fat Clemenza

"Believin is alright just don't believe in the wrong thing"....Sonny Boy Williamson

"You know you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise your body can't fill"......Paul Barrere Little Feat

grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by RT1957 View Post
    Hey grouchy ....what type of program are you running?...I guess I'll spend a little time reading back I might get that answer myself....Thanks again for dropping by my journal
    Hi RT1957. I'm running an old "powerbuilding" routine inspired by the powerlifter Doug Young. This cycle it's basically 4x6 for bench and press, and 5-4-3-2-1 for squats and deadlifts/power cleans, alternating workouts each time. You just push the reps on the last and first set respectively, then that determines your training weight for the next time.

20150214:

Standing Press (clean from floor, press for reps)
    65x5, 90x3, 115x6/6/6/6. Last rep was a bit of a grinder, decided to play it safe and repeat this weight rather than go up again.

Power Clean
    65x5, 95x3, 125x6, 135x4, 145x3, 155x2, 165x1. Aiming for 135x5 and 175x1 next time.

Romanian Deadlifts
    135x5, 170x5, 205x5/5/5. Sticking with this weight for now. Last set I had to switch to a mixed grip, hook grip started giving out.

I actually found my old Youtube account today. I haven't accessed it for over 7 years, and I actually forgot my user name until a friend of mine and I were talking about training and he found some of my old videos. I was hesitant to share them at first, as I'm nowhere near where I used to be, but I figure it might be some good motivation for myself.

This first one was a medley event at a strongman contest in Dunnville, Ontario.

This second video was a Conan's wheel event at a strongman contest in Xenia, Ohio.

And yeah, I used to wear kilts back then. Strange phase I went through.

Bloody but unbowed fittofattofit's Avatar
    fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    That is awesome .... rolling a car! What weight were you and what were your big lifts back then?
    I've just been going through the whole of your log. I really like the programme you described from Doug Young - I'd not come across that before - looks like a great progression plan and I like the idea of using the extra reps as the marker for the bump so that yip just keep cranking up the volume. I like as well your focus on metcon, functional fitness, KBs, oly lifts and the classic strength lifts. Bummer about the tool dropping the bar and plates from up high ... even bumper plates are scary when they drop but I'm sure that they thought the ceiling was coming in when the metal hit the floor. What are your goals now .... regain the old strength?
    "Better to wear out than rust out!"

Squat 165kg/363lbs
    Deadlift 190kg/418lbs

Originally Posted by fittofattofit View Post
    That is awesome .... rolling a car! What weight were you and what were your big lifts back then?
    Hi fittofattofit, thanks for dropping by. Suzuki Swifts are only about maybe 2000 pounds at best, so it was about half that as they took a good part of the interior out. I have flipped a 750# tire before and I'd say it was a bit harder than that. I was the only LW to flip the car that day, that was my big victory for that one.

For the most part I was between 175-180 pounds in these videos. My best lifts weren't anything extraordinary - I was benching and pressing in the low 200s, squatting low 400s, and pulling mid 500s.

I've just been going through the whole of your log. I really like the programme you described from Doug Young - I'd not come across that before - looks like a great progression plan and I like the idea of using the extra reps as the marker for the bump so that yip just keep cranking up the volume. I like as well your focus on metcon, functional fitness, KBs, oly lifts and the classic strength lifts. Bummer about the tool dropping the bar and plates from up high ... even bumper plates are scary when they drop but I'm sure that they thought the ceiling was coming in when the metal hit the floor. What are your goals now .... regain the old strength?
    Right now I really just want to get back to having fun with a barbell, get strong again, and put on some weight. I don't really have any plans of competing in strength sports again, so I'm just trying for some generalized fitness with my strength training. I may try some kettlebell sport, but I'm not committing too intensely to it just yet. About the only thing I really want to do other than train for fun is a GORUCK event,which is basically like a team ruck march. That's why I'm working some higher rep abdominal exercises and ruck march once a week.

raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Awesome workout Grouchy, and the old videos were very cool. Thanks for sharing. Your old lifts are very impressive to me, especially for your weight back then. Lots of potential strength gains in the future.

Originally Posted by raynerd View Post
    Awesome workout Grouchy, and the old videos were very cool. Thanks for sharing. Your old lifts are very impressive to me, especially for your weight back then. Lots of potential strength gains in the future.
    Thanks raynerd

RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Nice Vids grouchy ......I like the 6 rep scheme....I've been doing that myself along with 3's for main lifts...
    "You got soul and everybody knows that its alright".....Curtis Mayfield........"Eat to be strong weights and reps"....Me....."leave the gun take the cannoli".....Fat Clemenza

"Believin is alright just don't believe in the wrong thing"....Sonny Boy Williamson

"You know you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise your body can't fill"......Paul Barrere Little Feat

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by grouchyjarhead View Post
    The wife and I have been using kettlebells for a while now. We were both using them for accessory work in 2007, but it wasn't until 2009 that we really started using them seriously. I went away from them for a while (I was more into my Judo training) but my wife stuck with it, and got hooked on kettlebell sport in 2012. That same year she became a kettlebell instructor through the American Kettlebell Alliance and now teaches classes throughout the week. I've been wanting to get back into it as I only competed once (double jerk event with two 20kg kettlebells) so I'm trying to work my way to doing a biathlon (double jerks for 10 minutes, rest an hour, then one-arm snatches for 10 minutes).

I'm deconditioned (over 18 months of just working and not much else) so I'm starting off somewhat light with 16kg for both events and trying to build up to the time without pushing it too hard. My wife's preference is long cycle (clean and jerk each rep), and she's working towards her Master of Sport ranking with the 24kg.
    Much respect to your better half. Every time I think of Long Cycle, I want to puke.

How long have you been into martial arts?

I'm with you on building back up. I've been away from the kettlebell focus for almost a year...still not really focused on them, maybe when the throwing season starts. Right now I can't jerk the 40 kilo for even one rep. This time last year, I was doing 6 per side. LOL
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

Great comp videos! It's hard to make out the tartan on the kilt. Is that USMC?

(I sport US Army tartan on my comp. kilt. )

Also, taxation is theft.

Korr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Korr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Korr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Korr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Korr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Korr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Korr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Korr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Korr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Korr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Korr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Love the old videos, those are epic.
    -----------------

My workout journal

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168325713

Originally Posted by Marius_Ursus View Post
    Much respect to your better half. Every time I think of Long Cycle, I want to puke.

How long have you been into martial arts?

I'm with you on building back up. I've been away from the kettlebell focus for almost a year...still not really focused on them, maybe when the throwing season starts. Right now I can't jerk the 40 kilo for even one rep. This time last year, I was doing 6 per side. LOL
    Same. Women do one kettlebell, but it's at a higher RPM (reps per minute) so it's just as grueling.

I began training in the martial arts in 2000, but as of late 2013 I had to stop due to shin issues. I trained in a variety of systems, but Kyokushinkai Karate was my primary style during that time. I have issues with both of my shins as neither can take any kind of impact now but it is what it is.

Life gets in the way sometimes, as long as we keep at it that's the main thing.

And yes sir, that's the Marine Corps tartan.

Thanks Korr!

20150217:

Wife's birthday today, but unfortunately I couldn't do much to make it special. Got her a few things and the boys and I made cards, but I still had to work which meant she was still on duty at home. I know she's disappointed but she won't admit it.

Trained during my lunch hour, went over a little bit but no big deal as it was slow today.

Bench:
    85x5, 115x3, 145x6/6/6/7. Back to 150# next time. Adjusted form slightly, might be just what I needed.

Squat:
    135x5, 185x3, 245x6, 255x4, 265x3, 275x2, 285x1. Pretty solid throughout most of these. 255# as first set next time.

One-Arm Snatches:
    3 minute set @ 10 RPM with the 16kg kettlebell. Need to work on my grip, KB shifted during the set and began cutting into my forearm which psyched me out a bit.

Pendlay Rows:
    95x5, 125x5, 160x5/5/5.

Dips: 3 sets at BW.

Had to take a few days off, but back to business. No longer putting in my warm-up sets either, going to try to keep it shorter. I was having some recovery issues despite my diet and sleep being pretty much on point, after consulting with an old friend of mine I'm going to drop the volume a little bit and see how that works.

20150224:

12 minutes of HIIT in the AM. Strength training in the PM.

Standing Press:
    105 for 3x5.

Full Squats:
    225 for 3x5.

Chin-Ups:

One-Arm Snatches:
    4 min set (2 min per hand) @ 10 RPM with the 16kg, one hand switch.

Total workout time was just over an hour.

mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Missed that vid before. That's awesome. Dunnville is fairly close to me. Are those annual events? If they have a weakman competition I might join
    365 255 480 in April! ...2019
    ☻/
    /▌
    / \ sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)

Originally Posted by mirroroferised View Post
    Missed that vid before. That's awesome. Dunnville is fairly close to me. Are those annual events? If they have a weakman competition I might join
    It might still be a yearly thing. They had it during their Mudcat Festival. It's a good comp to do as typically it has some lighter weights so it tends to be more first timer friendly. I'd give it a shot one day

solid wo Grouchy...any comps coming up???

None for me RT1957, just training for fun nowadays. Maybe someday I might try a local something or other once again, but right now I'm just enjoying the ride once again.

raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Nice session Grouchy, lots of hard work in that hour!

Nice session Grouchy, lots of hard work in that hour!
    Thanks raynerd! I think this LP will be a lot better for me, it'll be shaving off a good bit of time off my workouts and a bit lower volume, and the template setup is fun.

20150226:
    No HIIT in the morning. Worked late last night, had to run in to work for a few hours early this morning, run home, then in a few hours head right back. Did get some strength training in during the lunch break.

Bench Press:
    135 for 3x5.

Deadlift:
    275x5.

Pendlay Rows:
    135 for 3x10.

Waiter's Walks: 40 sec per hand with the 16kg.

That's my kind of lunch break! Nice strength session, good weights for some nice volume.

That's my kind of lunch break! Nice strength session, good weights for some nice volume.
    Haha thanks raynerd. It helps being in my new position, I can use my lunch break to train and then eat lunch at my desk without having to run out the door too much.

baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Loved those old videos. I bet rolling that car was tough.
    Where the mind goes the body follows.

IG @imbakes
    MFP bakerjb19

Originally Posted by baker View Post
    Loved those old videos. I bet rolling that car was tough.
    It wasn't as bad as I thought it was admittedly. I watched a few guys go before me, and each one was trying to deadlift it first and then roll it. There was a bar welded underneath which they put there thinking it would make it easier, but all of the lightweight guys before me who tried couldn't get it that way. I tried it initially, then realized it might be better if I treated it like a tire. I went underneath the car itself and once I got it in the air I knew it was mine. Even though I only got 5th out of 13 in this contest, it was still one of my favorites for this event alone.

really...just really DieselsMom's Avatar
    DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Vids are awesome!

Looking good, keep it up sorry to hear how Wifeys Bday went but that's how it goes some years.
    "That's not sweat that's your fat cells crying" anonymous

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147406883

Originally Posted by DieselsMom View Post
    Vids are awesome!

Looking good, keep it up sorry to hear how Wifeys Bday went but that's how it goes some years.
    Thanks DM!

20150228:

HIIT in the morning, 12 minutes total.

Strength training later on.

Weighted Dips:
    BW+10 for 3x5, then did 20 reps of BW only in three sets (9/7/4).

Front Squats:
    155 for 3x5.

Pull-Ups:
    BW only for 4,4,3,3,4,3.

Romanian Deadlifts:
    135 for 3x10.

One-Arm Snatches:
    4 min set (2 min per hand) @ 10 RPM with the 16kg, one hand switch.