Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thanks for the explanation! That is a tough looking program. It seems as though the volume-intensity mixture is micro-periodized. You do a bit of volume and a bit of intensity in a week's time frame. You get the best of both worlds, in other words. I see a bit of 5x5 and 5-3-1 mixed in. In fact, I would even go the exact opposite and opine that 5-3-1 and some modern day 5 x 5 versions (like stronglifts) have their roots on Doug's program.

I think King Solomon was right when he said "There is nothing new under the sun." Brilliant program you got there, Marine.

70s big and 70s strong for sure..

The accessory bodybuilding work makes perfect sense as well. In fact, bodybuilding is incorporated into the Chinese weightlifting programs. They do a lot of bodybuilding / isolation AFTER weightlifting training to build muscles and to wake up sleeping muscles.
    This above all..
    To thine ownself be true..
    And it must follow, as the night the day..
    Thou can'st not then be false to any man..
    -----------------------------------------------
    Bros, my Weightlifters and Powerlifters are my credentials.

grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by NorwichGrad View Post
    Thanks for the explanation! That is a tough looking program. It seems as though the volume-intensity mixture is micro-periodized. You do a bit of volume and a bit of intensity in a week's time frame. You get the best of both worlds, in other words. I see a bit of 5x5 and 5-3-1 mixed in. In fact, I would even go the exact opposite and opine that 5-3-1 and some modern day 5 x 5 versions (like stronglifts) have their roots on Doug's program.

I think King Solomon was right when he said "There is nothing new under the sun." Brilliant program you got there, Marine.

70s big and 70s strong for sure..

The accessory bodybuilding work makes perfect sense as well. In fact, bodybuilding is incorporated into the Chinese weightlifting programs. They do a lot of bodybuilding / isolation AFTER weightlifting training to build muscles and to wake up sleeping muscles.
    Thanks for the compliment NorwichGrad.

I like it as it takes a lot of guesswork and calculating out. It's extremely easy to figure out my training weights that day just based on my last workout. No excessive number crunching, just look, add/subtract as needed, and go for it.

NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by grouchyjarhead View Post
    Thanks for the compliment NorwichGrad.

I like it as it takes a lot of guesswork and calculating out. It's extremely easy to figure out my training weights that day just based on my last workout. No excessive number crunching, just look, add/subtract as needed, and go for it.
    In other words, IT'S JARINE-FRIENDLY!! LOL..
    This above all..
    To thine ownself be true..
    And it must follow, as the night the day..
    Thou can'st not then be false to any man..
    -----------------------------------------------
    Bros, my Weightlifters and Powerlifters are my credentials.

grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by NorwichGrad View Post
    In other words, IT'S JARINE-FRIENDLY!! LOL..
    Haha exactly!!

Training's going to be a bit odd this week, but I'm fitting it in.

20141127:

Standing Press (clean from floor) - 110 for 3x6, then 110x7. Going up to 115# next time.

Conventional Deadlift - 265x6, then worked up to a single with 305. 275# and 315# next time.

Finished with several different ab exercises (100 reps total), no rest in between.

BW is going up well, weighed in at 202 today. Could be left over from turkey day but I'll take it. So far I've steadily been adding 2lbs/week for the past 7 weeks, can't complain at all.
    Last edited by grouchyjarhead; 11-29-2014 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Fixed some typos

raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Nice job on the OHP and the deads! Good you are still getting it done despite life's curveballs. Congrats on the bulk. Sounds like you are having no problem putting on weight.

mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I like your training method. Cleaning the bar from the floor is not something I'd ever thought to try. In fact I bet it would kill me lol Nice work in here.
    365 255 480 in April! ...2019
    ☻/
    /▌
    / \ sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)

Originally Posted by raynerd View Post
    Nice job on the OHP and the deads! Good you are still getting it done despite life's curveballs. Congrats on the bulk. Sounds like you are having no problem putting on weight.
    Thanks raynerd. Hard to believe sometimes that I was barely 145 when I was in the Marine Corps.

Originally Posted by mirroroferised View Post
    I like your training method. Cleaning the bar from the floor is not something I'd ever thought to try. In fact I bet it would kill me lol Nice work in here.
    I like cleaning from the floor rather than pressing from the rack as I feel the clean gets everything fired up and ready to go so I lift more. I also like it as it warms my back up for the deadlifts/cleans after so I waste less time warming up.

More food for thought: http://70sbig.com/blog/2011/12/clean-your-press/

mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for posting the link. It sure seems reasonable that all your doing is giving yourself more beneficial work by doing it. I've never done a clean with anything other than an empty bar. Not sure how that would turn out. I'd guess some rubber coated plates would be a must.
    ☻/
    /▌

raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Lol loved that article, "it will make you rich, it will rain tits" literary genius!

mikemodjeski7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikemodjeski7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikemodjeski7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikemodjeski7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikemodjeski7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikemodjeski7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikemodjeski7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikemodjeski7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikemodjeski7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikemodjeski7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikemodjeski7 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You are correct, NorwichGrad. This is actually one of the training routines used by the powerlifter Doug Young, a disgustingly strong lifter from the 1970s. I imagine he got the idea from someone before him, as there's never really anything new in strength training. It's three 4 week cycles of the big four, each done roughly twice a week.

Bench and press are 4x6 for the first cycle, with the last set pushing for max reps. Every rep over 6 adds 5# to your working weight next time, every set under 6 removes 5#. You go workout to workout, so it ends up changing up the load for you on a regular basis so a tough workout will be followed by a slightly easier one if need be. Next cycle is the 4x6 one day and 5x3 the second day, then third cycle is 5x3 for both days, again with each last set pushing for max reps with good form. I go until my form gets a bit shaky then stop there, might be being a little conservative but I figure it's better that way for me.

Squat and deadlift are 5-4-3-2-1, but for the set of 5 you push for as many reps as you can. Every rep over 5 is +10#, every rep under is -10#. Then you add 10# each set and drop a rep, working up to a single. Deadlifting twice a week was too rough for me, so I went with power cleans on the second day. 5-4-3-2-1 for the first cycle, then 5x3 for the second, then 5x2 for the third. After the 12 weeks, you then take about 75%-80% and start again (whatever you think you can get for a rep or two over). I just finished Week 2 so we'll see how this works out. It worked well for Young, he admittedly was on gear but he benched 612 at a BW of maybe 260 in 1978 wearing nothing but a T-shirt and was squatting and deadlifting over 700. I bet some of those poundages were due to his awesome beard.

For accessory work, Young did a lot of bodybuilding-style movements. I tried some of that, but it was just too much for me right now on both days. I also need a lot of time with calisthenics as these GORUCK events have a lot of them in it, so I'm only doing them at the end of the bench/squat routine to give myself more rest. Everything's coming up nicely so far, so no complaints on my end. I just figured it looked fun and fit my goals so decided to give it a test run.
    Thanks for posting this, looks very interesting. I might give it a go after I play-out SL 5 x 5
    Fortune favors the bold

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Training's going to be a bit odd this week, but I'm fitting it in.

20141127:

Standing Press (clean from floor) - 110 for 3x6, then 110x7. Going up to 115# next time.

Conventional Deadlift - 265x6, then worked up to a single with 305. 275# and 315# next time.

Finished with several different ab exercises (100 reps total), no rest in between.

BW is going up well, weighed in at 202 today. Could be left over from turkey day but I'll take it. So far I've steadily been adding 2lbs/week for the past 7 weeks, can't complain at all.
    This is some nice work right here. Clean and press is hands down my favorite exercise.

Looking good, man.
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

Originally Posted by Marius_Ursus View Post
    This is some nice work right here. Clean and press is hands down my favorite exercise.

Looking good, man.
    Thanks Marius.

Ended up coming down with something right after the last workout, most likely because my boys had it first. Serious sinus pressure, headache, nausea, whole nine yards. I don't have many days off left at work so I was mostly just getting myself to work, coming home, and doing what I could to help out the wife with the kids only to collapse shortly after they did. Started loading up a lot on Vitamin C and started to get better, then went downhill a bit again. I ate like garbage the past several days too, so that's not exactly helping. Feeling better today so hoping after a day of good eating and some solid rest tonight I may feel it out tomorrow and see if it's barbell time.

Nooooo! Not the f'n manflu!! The worst possible thing a human can endure!!! I feel deeply for ya man, had me a couple of these awful awful bugs already this season. Rest up, foot rubs by Wifey help as well....so I have heard....sniffle

And cleaning my press didn't kill me after all Hope you feel better grouchy!!
    ☻/
    /▌

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks Marius.

Ended up coming down with something right after the last workout, most likely because my boys had it first. Serious sinus pressure, headache, nausea, whole nine yards. I don't have many days off left at work so I was mostly just getting myself to work, coming home, and doing what I could to help out the wife with the kids only to collapse shortly after they did. Started loading up a lot on Vitamin C and started to get better, then went downhill a bit again. I ate like garbage the past several days too, so that's not exactly helping. Feeling better today so hoping after a day of good eating and some solid rest tonight I may feel it out tomorrow and see if it's barbell time.
    I know that story all too well. My older son's always bringing something back from the farm. I'm lucky it hasn't been smallpox yet.

The youngest one (4) passes around plenty of germs, too.

Hang tough!
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

Thanks gents.

Feeling better so hit up the gym yesterday (20141207). Worked up to 150 for 4x6 for bench, then for squats I did 235x5 and worked up to 275 for a single. Both were tough today, still fighting off whatever crud I got in me, but I get to keep these weights for next time so I'd call it a good workout.

Glad you are getting back to health, sounds like you had a strong workout despite lingering dreaded manflu!

GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Glad you're feeling better.
    Gnomefit...ain't for everybody, only the sexy people.

I'm glad you're better. Good work benching and squatting.

Those are respectable numbers for an old man.

Also, taxation is theft.

really...just really DieselsMom's Avatar
    DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Subbed.

Thanks for the comments in my journal. I appreciate your wife's feedback as well. Now that I have some judges comments coming in I have to say I disagree with them even more LOL.
    "That's not sweat that's your fat cells crying" anonymous

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147406883

Merry Christmas Grouchy!! Hope it's a great one!

Merry Christmas Grouchy!! Hope it's a great one!
    Thanks raynerd, hope you and your family had an excellent one.

Sorry I've been slacking on my posting, folks. Around this time of year work kicks up a lot and with all the holiday obligations and being ill I wasn't consistent at all for most of the month. Back at it tonight, reduced the weights somewhat to ease back into things. Started the whole cycle over from the beginning too.

20141228:
    *5 min dynamic warm-up (Turkish get-ups, windmills, goblet squats, around the worlds, and Russian pumps)
    *Bench Press 85x5, 110x3, 135x6/6/6/9. 150 working weight next time.
    *High Bar Full Squat 125x5, 165x3, 205x7, 215x4, 225x3, 235x2, 245x1. 225 working weight next time.
    *Tabata planks
    *10 min of stretching

Welcome back man. Hope the holidays were good....despite being ill.
    ☻/
    /▌

Good to see you back man, looks like a good session to get back in the groove. Looking forward to your workouts.

GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Sounds like the "5/4/3/2/1 and done" program Jim Schmitz suggess for Masters lifters.
    Gnomefit...ain't for everybody, only the sexy people.

Originally Posted by mirroroferised View Post
    Welcome back man. Hope the holidays were good....despite being ill.
    Thanks mirror, they were good. Got some new tools and the kids had a blast, most fun was spending time with the family. Hope yours was good as well!

Good to see you back man, looks like a good session to get back in the groove. Looking forward to your workouts.
    Thanks raynerd.

Originally Posted by GnomusMaximus View Post
    Sounds like the "5/4/3/2/1 and done" program Jim Schmitz suggess for Masters lifters.
    Haven't seen it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was similar. I've done 5/4/3/2/1 before with good results, just never in this approach. I'm a Schmitz fan though, he has some good stuff, got a link?

baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Welcome back. High Bar Squats feel awesome the next day.
    Where the mind goes the body follows.

IG @imbakes
    MFP bakerjb19

Haha yeah they always feel great the next day.

20141231:
    METCON today. Supersets of pull-up/push-up, one-arm swings/abs, one-arm KB press/abs, 3 sets of each. Supposed to do HIIT, didn't fit it in unfortunately. Spent a great NYE with friends and family, hope everyone is starting off 2015 right.

20150101:
    Rest day today. Tried some yoga stretches, specifically these ones: http://breakingmuscle.com/yoga/incre...ength-athletes

Definitely not as flexible as my martial arts days, lots of creaky joints too. Shooting my recurve tonight after work for a bit too.
    Last edited by grouchyjarhead; 01-01-2015 at 05:02 PM.

No chance to train yesterday, and only a short time today. I was supposed to press and power clean, but only had time for one. The result? Low hang power clean and presses. 55x5, 75x3, 100x6/6/6/6. Warm-up and workout took 32 minutes.