samanthajones6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Resume question for a newbie PT

Hi,
    I just got certified by AAAI/ISMA and want to apply for Personal Training jobs. I also have a spinning certification, but my background and degree are in Broadcast Journalism. I work at a gym now in Sales, not training. Any ideas on how to get another gym to hire me without training experience? Thanks in advance.
    "Take the gun. Leave the canolis."

WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Will the gym you're at now not give you a shot at training part time while you still do sales? That would be best for both you and them - they don't lose an employee and you can ease into training slowly without loss of income, which is great for new trainers.

Originally Posted by WoofieNugget View Post
    Will the gym you're at now not give you a shot at training part time while you still do sales? That would be best for both you and them - they don't lose an employee and you can ease into training slowly without loss of income, which is great for new trainers.
    I highly doubt it, but I can ask again. Everyone there is ACE or NASM certified. Thanks for the reply.

Registered User JoeCannonMSCSCS's Avatar
    JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hi Samantha, I teach for AAAI/ISMA. not sure if you were in one of my classes or not. I think your broadcast journalism background will help you more than you think because personal training is as much about communication as it is about exercise. Walk into a gym with your resume and apply for a job. Odds are they will take you and if not, then move on to another gym.

When you do get hired, take a look at this post I wrote about what to do when you are certified but never trained anyone before: http://www.joe-cannon.com/certified-...ne-what-to-do/

If you have any other questions, just email me from my site and Ill be glad to help you personally

Joe Cannon MS CSCS NSCA-CPT

penafitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) penafitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) penafitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) penafitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) penafitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) penafitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) penafitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) penafitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) penafitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) penafitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) penafitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Training experience isn't typically required. A credential is, but not necessarily client hours.

Originally Posted by penafitness View Post
    Training experience isn't typically required. A credential is, but not necessarily client hours.
    Thank you! That's good news. I like good news!

Originally Posted by JoeCannonMSCSCS View Post
    Hi Samantha, I teach for AAAI/ISMA. not sure if you were in one of my classes or not. I think your broadcast journalism background will help you more than you think because personal training is as much about communication as it is about exercise. Walk into a gym with your resume and apply for a job. Odds are they will take you and if not, then move on to another gym.

If you have any other questions, just email me from my site and Ill be glad to help you personally

Joe Cannon MS CSCS NSCA-CPT
    Hi Joe,
    I didn't have you for the exam, but certainly appreciate your expertise and helpfulness. Thanks for the info and the article. I feel better now and certainly more confident. I hope to meet you in the future at a AAAI event. Thanks again!