Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    EDINN2505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EDINN2505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EDINN2505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EDINN2505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EDINN2505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EDINN2505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EDINN2505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EDINN2505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EDINN2505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EDINN2505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EDINN2505 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Deadlift grip loss

Today I did deadlift, managed to lift 300 lbs for 3 times but bar started to slip from my hands. I have strength to do much more, but slipping bar is holding me back. It's not problem just for deadlift, it happens often on lat pulldown, pull ups etc. How to improve this? Thanks for help!

mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Try switch grip on deads or add in straps/chalk.

mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Do some direct forearm work to strengthen your forearms. Do alternating grip for deads, or at least on heavier sets. Also, look into a set of straps. I use Animal canvas straps as they are cheap and serve their purpose.
    Supplement a good diet: don't diet on supplements.

MAN Sports Lead Rep

Disclaimer: The statement above reflects that of my own opinion & in no way that of MAN Sports. Our products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

IG: @eminentandpowerfulco

Registered User GentlemanLifter's Avatar
    GentlemanLifter is just really nice. (+1000) GentlemanLifter is just really nice. (+1000) GentlemanLifter is just really nice. (+1000) GentlemanLifter is just really nice. (+1000) GentlemanLifter is just really nice. (+1000) GentlemanLifter is just really nice. (+1000) GentlemanLifter is just really nice. (+1000) GentlemanLifter is just really nice. (+1000) GentlemanLifter is just really nice. (+1000) GentlemanLifter is just really nice. (+1000) GentlemanLifter is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hook grip is the best grip. For everything. Always. Babies, eggs, surgery, everything.

I say good day to you, sir.

EDINN2505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EDINN2505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EDINN2505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EDINN2505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EDINN2505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EDINN2505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EDINN2505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EDINN2505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EDINN2505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EDINN2505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EDINN2505 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by mtownballer20 View Post
    Try switch grip on deads or add in straps/chalk.
    They don't have chalk in my gym, I tried putting rubber on bar helped a little but not enough. Will try to buy straps. Thanks for help!

Originally Posted by mtpaquette View Post
    Do some direct forearm work to strengthen your forearms. Do alternating grip for deads, or at least on heavier sets. Also, look into a set of straps. I use Animal canvas straps as they are cheap and serve their purpose.
    Thanks for help!

Originally Posted by GentlemanLifter View Post
    Hook grip is the best grip. For everything. Always. Babies, eggs, surgery, everything.

Haven't heard of this before but seems interesting! Will try for sure! Thanks for help!

AK56 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AK56 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AK56 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AK56 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AK56 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AK56 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AK56 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AK56 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AK56 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AK56 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AK56 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Farmers' walks have done much to improve my grip strength and other attributes. Maybe consider them. I use heavy kettle bells and walk around till I nearly drop them. Rest for a bit them to do it again and again.

I know there are many ways to improve grip strength.

HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This used to happen to me for a little while and I eventually got by it by staying with raw deadlifting only to get my forearm strength up. Never used wrist straps because I don't think I should be pulling the weight up anyway if I can't even hold it. I know many like to use it to obviously put up more numbers, but this kinda of IMO crutches the forearm weakeness still. I actually deadlifted today close to that 4 plate (400lbs) and I only deadlift raw. I do four sets and can still grip that barbell like its my lover except for maybe my last rep or two in my final set. I do mixed grip and switch it up after every set.

dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    THIS!! if your trying get stronger on the deadlift as a whole, use chalk and only chalk! go with double over hand till you cant no more then do over under! after that use chalk!! if your past a beginner and if your doing some BB routine then i guess you could use straps! no beginner on a strenth routine should use straps! again if your training for strength, you dont wanna neglect the grip strength that deadlifts and for example farmers walks give you!!
    Originally Posted by HippyHeart View Post
    This used to happen to me for a little while and I eventually got by it by staying with raw deadlifting only to get my forearm strength up. Never used wrist straps because I don't think I should be pulling the weight up anyway if I can't even hold it. I know many like to use it to obviously put up more numbers, but this kinda of IMO crutches the forearm weakeness still. I actually deadlifted today close to that 4 plate (400lbs) and I only deadlift raw. I do four sets and can still grip that barbell like its my lover except for maybe my last rep or two in my final set. I do mixed grip and switch it up after every set.

I need about tree fiddy davisj3537's Avatar
    davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    With mixed grip you should have no problem holding a weight you can DL. Do all sets you can with a DOH grip...grip strength should never be an issue.
    Experience, not just theory

mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Originally Posted by GentlemanLifter View Post

Isn't hook most often used for Olympic lifting? I don't like fully grasping the bar for dead lifts, shrugs or etc., and always have an open grip as I've strained my (right) thumb in the past from having a closed grip. It's my only finger that isn't "double jointed", but I also have some issue with arthritis.

Originally Posted by dski79 View Post
    THIS!! if your trying get stronger on the deadlift as a whole, use chalk and only chalk! go with double over hand till you cant no more then do over under! after that use chalk!! if your past a beginner and if your doing some BB routine then i guess you could use straps! no beginner on a strenth routine should use straps! again if your training for strength, you dont wanna neglect the grip strength that deadlifts and for example farmers walks give you!!
    I would be far from advising anyone to ever do a supinated grip for dead lifts.
    Last edited by mtpaquette; 11-19-2014 at 04:29 AM.
    Supplement a good diet: don't diet on supplements.

MAN Sports Lead Rep

Disclaimer: The statement above reflects that of my own opinion & in no way that of MAN Sports. Our products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

IG: @eminentandpowerfulco

Blix72 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Blix72 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Blix72 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Blix72 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Blix72 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Blix72 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Blix72 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Blix72 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Blix72 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Blix72 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Blix72 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Buy a chalk ball on eBay or something, makes a huge difference and it's not very messy.

AwestinG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Alternate grip is the best when doing heavy weight. but try to focus on strengthening your forearms. the workout that got my grip tightened up the most are dead hangs. you'll be about half a monkey after you add this into your workouts every week.

MrGreenTea is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrGreenTea is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrGreenTea is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrGreenTea is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrGreenTea is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrGreenTea is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrGreenTea is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrGreenTea is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrGreenTea is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrGreenTea is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrGreenTea is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by EDINN2505 View Post
    Today I did deadlift, managed to lift 300 lbs for 3 times but bar started to slip from my hands. I have strength to do much more, but slipping bar is holding me back. It's not problem just for deadlift, it happens often on lat pulldown, pull ups etc. How to improve this? Thanks for help!
    One way to strengthen grip/forearm strength for double overhand is to lower the weight and just hold the bar at the top of the deadlift for as long as you can (30 sec to 1 min). Squeeze it as hard as you can while doing it. Do these in sets once or twice a week. I can't dead as much as you but this helped me when my grip was starting to fail me.

Originally Posted by AK56 View Post
    Farmers' walks have done much to improve my grip strength and other attributes. Maybe consider them. I use heavy kettle bells and walk around till I nearly drop them. Rest for a bit them to do it again and again.

I know there are many ways to improve grip strength.
    Should I do farmers walk with legs or?

Originally Posted by HippyHeart View Post
    is raw deadlift without belt and other equipment? I use belt just on my last heaviest set, because I was told that I can get hernia by liftin heavy weights without belt.

Originally Posted by dski79 View Post
    I don't know if they will allow me to use chalk in my gym. It's small gym in small place where I live. I started working out when I was 14 but because of some problems I had to stop and started again 9 months ago constantly training, so in total I lift for about 2 years. Im not trying to BB to compete or something, I do it just for myself.

Originally Posted by davisj3537 View Post
    With mixed grip you should have no problem holding a weight you can DL. Do all sets you can with a DOH grip...grip strength should never be an issue.
    I use alternate grip, never tried any other but I will next time to see how it works.

Originally Posted by mtpaquette View Post

Isn't hook most often used for Olympic lifting? I don't like fully grasping the bar for dead lifts, shrugs or etc., and always have an open grip as I've strained my (right) thumb in the past from having a closed grip. It's my only finger that isn't "double jointed", but I also have some issue with arthritis.

I would be far from advising anyone to ever do a supinated grip for dead lifts.
    I always used alternate grip but next time I will try double overhand to see if that works better.

Originally Posted by Blix72 View Post
    Buy a chalk ball on eBay or something, makes a huge difference and it's not very messy.
    But I don't know if they will allow me.

Originally Posted by AwestinG View Post
    Alternate grip is the best when doing heavy weight. but try to focus on strengthening your forearms. the workout that got my grip tightened up the most are dead hangs. you'll be about half a monkey after you add this into your workouts every week.
    I used alternate grip always but will try double overhand to see if it works. So should i do dead hangs just on back day or?

Originally Posted by MrGreenTea View Post
    One way to strengthen grip/forearm strength for double overhand is to lower the weight and just hold the bar at the top of the deadlift for as long as you can (30 sec to 1 min). Squeeze it as hard as you can while doing it. Do these in sets once or twice a week. I can't dead as much as you but this helped me when my grip was starting to fail me.
    So do static hold?

Also what do you guys think if it will help to put the bar on ground for second and go up again as some do, because I never do that, I lower it just before it touches the ground and lift it up again.

Thanks everyone for help! Will try to give repp to all!

MrGreenTea is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrGreenTea is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrGreenTea is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrGreenTea is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrGreenTea is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrGreenTea is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrGreenTea is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrGreenTea is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrGreenTea is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrGreenTea is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrGreenTea is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Yeah man, static holds.

And Deadlifts should go back to the ground. :S

davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    If you're already using alternate grip and failing then you DO need grip specific training. I took my mixed grip hold from mid 400s to mid 600s in about 6 weeks by just doing BB holds 2xweek.

Ex:
    3 sets of double overhand holds 10 seconds each 60-90 second rest

When my DOH went from 315 to 405 for 10 seconds my mixed grip had increased from 400-600. Get chalk if your gym won't throw a fit. My gym won't allow it, but i bring a towel and always clean up after. No one has ever said a word.

bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    lots of options.

chalk
    switching from double overhand to an alternate grip
    using straps (people can talk all the **** they want, but if you're missing out on a proper workout because your grip sucks, use straps)
    do some grip work. there is no reason to lose the bar with 300 pounds.

229time will become famous soon enough. (+50) 229time will become famous soon enough. (+50) 229time will become famous soon enough. (+50) 229time will become famous soon enough. (+50) 229time will become famous soon enough. (+50) 229time will become famous soon enough. (+50) 229time will become famous soon enough. (+50) 229time will become famous soon enough. (+50) 229time will become famous soon enough. (+50) 229time will become famous soon enough. (+50) 229time will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Not fully understanding the question.

If you lost grip strength - You are not giving your hands enough time to recover between workouts. Forearms recover quickly, but not the hands.

If you want a quick solution - Gloves or straps

If you want a long term solution - Improve your grip. Squeeze the bar as hard as you can when doing heavy deadlifts, shrugs, or pull-ups. Start using fatgrips or a thick bar. Start doing farmers walks, static holds, pinching exercises etc.

ZidaneIX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ZidaneIX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ZidaneIX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ZidaneIX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ZidaneIX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ZidaneIX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ZidaneIX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ZidaneIX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ZidaneIX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ZidaneIX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ZidaneIX is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hook/mixed grip, chalk, and hold the last rep of deads in your hands as long as possible.

Originally Posted by MrGreenTea View Post
    Yeah man, static holds.

And Deadlifts should go back to the ground. :S
    Just did it after my shoulder workout, man my grip is weak, 220 lbs hold for 15 seconds so I took some rope and wraped around my hands and bar just to see if i can do it then and held for 30 seconds and then tried some deadlift with no rest after it and it was very easy, but ropes stopped my blood in hand, but I won't use it just wanted to see, will do farmers walk after legs tomorrow, static hold on last set of deadlift and after traps workout. Thanks for help!

Originally Posted by davisj3537 View Post
    If you're already using alternate grip and failing then you DO need grip specific training. I took my mixed grip hold from mid 400s to mid 600s in about 6 weeks by just doing BB holds 2xweek.

Ex:
    3 sets of double overhand holds 10 seconds each 60-90 second rest

When my DOH went from 315 to 405 for 10 seconds my mixed grip had increased from 400-600. Get chalk if your gym won't throw a fit. My gym won't allow it, but i bring a towel and always clean up after. No one has ever said a word.
    just did holds after shoulders and did 220 lbs for only 15 seconds, but I will do it after last set of deadlift and after trap workout to improve my grip, and farmers walk after legs. Asked about chalk too, they said some people used it before but others complained( not people who are committed to working out but people who come and mess around for few weeks and never come back again). Thanks for help!

Originally Posted by bmontgomery87 View Post
    lots of options.

chalk
    using straps (people can talk all the **** they want, but if you're missing out on a proper workout because your grip sucks, use straps)
    Will try as I stated in above replys, thanks for help!

Originally Posted by 229time View Post
    Not fully understanding the question.

If you lost grip strength - You are not giving your hands enough time to recover between workouts. Forearms recover quickly, but not the hands.

If you want a quick solution - Gloves or straps

If you want a long term solution - Improve your grip. Squeeze the bar as hard as you can when doing heavy deadlifts, shrugs, or pull-ups. Start using fatgrips or a thick bar. Start doing farmers walks, static holds, pinching exercises etc.
    I do pullups before deadlifts, rest for 1 min and under 1 min rest between sets. I lose my grip, I cant grip bar hard on heavy weights and it starts slipping from my hands and I can lift more weight if grip didnt hold me back. First I will try static holds and farmer walks till new year, if that fails I will try to get straps or hooks. Thanks for your help!

Originally Posted by ZidaneIX View Post
    Hook/mixed grip, chalk, and hold the last rep of deads in your hands as long as possible.
    Will try all, thanks!

Most of the options people are advising in terms of grip training are good ideas. It is important to remember that your grip training should look like the rest of your training. You don't want to do a bunch of grip exercises. Just pick ONE in addition to the grip work that DL and pullups already provide. ONE is plenty man. 2-3 will actually slow down your progress.

bluesky95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluesky95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluesky95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluesky95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluesky95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluesky95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluesky95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluesky95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluesky95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluesky95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluesky95 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm really light and short and never use straps, but I've noticed that much bigger guys will often use straps for the same weight I'm using. It makes me think that some guys get used to them and even start to rely on them, whereas I come from the perspective that without straps you get "free" grip strength training without even thinking about it. I don't mind if anyone else prefers to use them, but I can say that personally I see a big difference between grip strength of people who use vs. don't use them.

Also, I think doing lots of strict-form pullups and mixing up the styles of them has also helped my gs.
    blueskyy.com

Natural Competitive BB euro7muscle's Avatar
    euro7muscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) euro7muscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) euro7muscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) euro7muscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) euro7muscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) euro7muscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) euro7muscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) euro7muscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) euro7muscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) euro7muscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) euro7muscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Your grip will strengthen over time, just keep lifting raw and try to minimize strap use. Also, make sure to lower your reps or weight if your form starts going out, 2 good reps will always be better than 3 sh*tty reps. The first thing that usually goes is form when you can't hold on anymore.
    6'3
    240 lb. (off-season)
    220 lb. (competition)

Competition History:
    2016 NPC Midwest Naturals
    2017 NPC Battle of the Falls
    2018 GNBF Internationale Deutsche Meisterschaft

PerthShane is on a distinguished road. (+10) PerthShane is on a distinguished road. (+10) PerthShane is on a distinguished road. (+10) PerthShane is on a distinguished road. (+10) PerthShane is on a distinguished road. (+10) PerthShane is on a distinguished road. (+10) PerthShane is on a distinguished road. (+10) PerthShane is on a distinguished road. (+10) PerthShane is on a distinguished road. (+10) PerthShane is on a distinguished road. (+10) PerthShane is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Chalk. That is all.

A chalk ball from a store that sells outdoor sports equipment. Generally stores that specialise in things like hiking and camping often have rock climbing gear and often sell chalk balls. My gym doesn't allow chalk, officially, but nobody has ever said that I can't use the chalk ball. I keep it in a bag when I'm in the gym so once I apply it to my hands it's back in the bag so it doesn't leave white marks on anything but the bar, which I wipe down after I'm done.

Never used straps before and haven't felt the need and am looking to hit the 400 lbs deadlift mark very soon. If sweaty hands are the problem, chalk is the answer.

Inb4Negged will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inb4Negged will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inb4Negged will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inb4Negged will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inb4Negged will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inb4Negged will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inb4Negged will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inb4Negged will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inb4Negged will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inb4Negged will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inb4Negged will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Dead hangs from a pull up bar and holding the deadlift at the top for as long as you can.

I normally do my working sets, then when doing warm down sets, I hold the weight at the top of the rep for 10 seconds or so

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by bmontgomery87 View Post
    lots of options.

chalk
    ^ This is the best post in this whole thread.

Anyone who says you shouldn't touch straps or that one grip is better than the other are talking out of their asses.
    + You're doing deadlifts to work your posterior chain. To let small muscles like the forearms hold back the hams, glutes, and various muscles in the back is something that only seems intelligent to the overly hardcore beginners who brag about pulling 300lbs.
    ++ Chalks & mixed grip is great. Quite strong. Honestly, my chalk & mixed grip had a higher PR than my strapped grip. I just generally preffered to maintain a DOH position so used straps.
    +++ Hook grip is great if you have long fingers. Your thumb will hate you, but you can hold a god awful amount all on your own... if you have long enough fingers.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Is alternate grip a bit of a "crutch" for DL? I find alternate grip much easier on heavier lift. Will it hurt my left forearm strength and growth (the weaker arm) if I keep doing it with the left palm supinated and the right palm pronated as in alternate grip vs the double overhand?
    Last edited by greenleaf; 02-12-2015 at 04:21 AM.

thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by greenleaf View Post
    Is alternate grip a bit of a "crutch" for DL? I find alternate grip much easier on heavier lift. Will it hurt my left forearm strength and growth (the weaker arm) if I keep doing it with the left palm supinated and the right palm pronated as in alternate grip vs the double overhand?
    It's not a crutch at all but you should probably switch hands every so often.
    Brevity is the soul of wit.

sup_jason will become famous soon enough. (+50) sup_jason will become famous soon enough. (+50) sup_jason will become famous soon enough. (+50) sup_jason will become famous soon enough. (+50) sup_jason will become famous soon enough. (+50) sup_jason will become famous soon enough. (+50) sup_jason will become famous soon enough. (+50) sup_jason will become famous soon enough. (+50) sup_jason will become famous soon enough. (+50) sup_jason will become famous soon enough. (+50) sup_jason will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've had this problem before myself. I couldn't do 405 for 3 sets of 8 without the bar slipping towards the end. on my next deadlift day i was able to hit 415 for 8 with a consistent grip with chalk. They're really cheap
    Powerlifter/Bodybuilder
    1RM Sleeveless+Beltless PRs: 460/B:340/D:525

#teamforeverliftingalone

thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thinkgreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by sup_jason View Post
    I've had this problem before myself. I couldn't do 405 for 3 sets of 8 without the bar slipping towards the end. on my next deadlift day i was able to hit 415 for 8 with a consistent grip with chalk. They're really cheap
    405x3x8? *cringes*
    Brevity is the soul of wit.