CkretNgredient has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Coming back from surgery

Hello all!
    Long time lurker and customer, first time poster.

I am making this thread (one handed, so please excuse any errors) to document coming back from arm surgery. I hope none of you have to experience this, but if you do find yourself in a similar situation and want to see how the journey back to the gym goes, then please read on. Also anyone who has similar stories, feel free to add them.

Well here we go:

I am still just a beginner, stqarted seriously training back in February. Made some quality first year gains. All of that changed onw Saturday night while arm wrestling. After being in deadlock, my arm gave out. It first felt like someone open hand slapped my arm. It wasnt until i hit the ground that i knew something was wrong. The pain was intense, so intense that i didnt think i broke anything, rather i tore the muscle off.
    I was taken to the emergency room for xrays, stablization, and meds. (side note: I live in Japan so some of the medical practice might seem odd or different.) I was told my humerus was broken and I could opt for surgery or a cast. But i had til Tuesday to decide because my treatment at the ER was over and a taxi would be called to take me home (still angry about that)

Tuesday- The doctor is now more strongly suggesting surgery due to the bone being misplaced. After seeing the new x-ray, yeah a cast would have done nothing as my bone was pretty mangled. I opt for surgery, which would happen on Friday. Yes, i was made to walk around in a cloth sling just barely better than a torn tshirt while taking pretty weak painkillers for alomst a week before surgery. Not fun!

Thursday- Check into the hospital for tests and stuff.

Friday- Here in Japan, they dont wheel you into surgery. If you can walk, they make you walk into the surgery room and lie down on the table. Strange. Two hours, one plate with six screws later, surgery was finished.

Saturday- Slowly the anesthesia wears off and I feel the pain of the surgery. It's not unbearable, it's not even that bad, but what it is is very annoying. It feels like someone standing on my arm. Now of course this is all braced up, it my arm were to drop or get hit, im sure it would be a lot different.

Sunday- Doc takes off the brace and wrap to see how it looks. I have about a 12 cm cut and a lot of brusing, but its normal. He wraps me back up and tells me i can go home later that day.

Monday- The day i am posting this. I live alone so things can be difficult. If you live with a spouse, family, etc, consider yourself lucky. But i can manage a few things. I do have help a few hours a day from friends and a GF. I am scheduled back to the doctor next Monday.

I am only going to post when its relevant as this isnt a diary or a way to release stress. This is my journey back to training. So when progress towards that or roadblocks occur, I'll post. Also I'll answer questions anyone might have (remember i'm not a doctor though)

Update: 11/17/2014

Came back from the hospital minus the arm brace. It feels really weird not having under my arm for support. Yes, I am wearing a sling, an old timey one (a triangle cloth) For some reason this hospital swears these are better than the ones of today, and they won't give me the other type.
    My x-ray checked out. It's too early to see if the bone is mending or not.
    The doc told me to start "practicing" using my arm. This I do strongly disagree with as from what I've read and heard suggests I should be waiting about 4-6 weeks before trying any movement. If this is wrong, please feel free to correct me.

My next appointment is in 2 weeks.

HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Holy **** you fractured your humerus arm wrestling??

That does sound very painful, best of luck on your recovery.

@HammZ- Yeah afraid so. Actually it's a pretty common injury. Of course I had no idea until after it happened to me lol

Update 12/14/14

Well I am about 5 weeks post op and it's time for an update.
    First off, I was completely wrong about not doing any movement early on. I should have been bending at the elbow as much as I could without any pain. I did do this a little, but not nearly enough and right now I am paying for it, maybe.
    I went in to see the doc two weeks ago. We did the X-rays and he said things seem to be looking fine. He then asked me to extend my arm, I couldn't. He sent me to physical therapy that day. I can't remember the exact numbers, but both flexion and extension were terrible. Also I was having a really bad numb feeling in my forearm along with my hand feeling like sandpaper. Turns out there is some slight nerve damage due to my elbow's lack of movement (or at least that is what I think because my Japanese isn't that great)

So I have been going to physical therapy 3 times a week and have made great improvements. Already I have all my flexion back, still feels a little tight at the top, and I can extend to 25 degrees. On average I have gained about 5 degrees a visit. Anyone who goes through this, I cannot stress enough the need to do the prescribed exercises at home along with the program. Also know the difference between feeling tight and feeling pain. At no time during physio should you be feeling pain. However some tightness should be expected and do try to push past it.

My next appointment with the doc is on the 22nd, about 6 weeks post op, hopefully the bone has begun mending by then. Also hopefully I can have full extension by that time so I can begin rehabbing the muscle around the break site.

More to come later.