Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Could weighted pull ups be the cause of my elbow 'pain'?

I have a very light pain in the inside of my left elbow. Do you think this is likely caused by weighted pull ups (overhand grip)?

Other things that may have caused it: wide neutral grip chin ups (not weighted) or perhaps high volume triceps work.

Is it perhaps because I do full ROM (elbow fully stretched at bottom position) and should I avoid this?

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yes it could,and perhaps a combo of the weighted pull ups and high volume tricep work.

met-enkephalinaholic Pridehurtsform's Avatar
    Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've had issues with elbow, and brachialis pain, both of which I've attributed to full rom (+ some hanging between reps) on weighted pullups. when it happens I have to cut out weighted pulls which sucks, since I personally love the exercise.
    BS in molecular biochemistry
    NASM certified personal trainer
    bench: 315
    squat: 365
    deads: 415
    video thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162544341&p=1258712431#post1258712431

"it's better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Stop doing them and see if the pain stops.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thanks guys.

Are the neutral grips better for the elbows?

Or should I do a shorter ROM?

Originally Posted by Pridehurtsform View Post
    I've had issues with elbow, and brachialis pain, both of which I've attributed to full rom (+ some hanging between reps) on weighted pullups.
    Thanks.

did you get no pain if you don't do full extension at the bottom/ hanging in between?

SlipshodDread will become famous soon enough. (+50) SlipshodDread will become famous soon enough. (+50) SlipshodDread will become famous soon enough. (+50) SlipshodDread will become famous soon enough. (+50) SlipshodDread will become famous soon enough. (+50) SlipshodDread will become famous soon enough. (+50) SlipshodDread will become famous soon enough. (+50) SlipshodDread will become famous soon enough. (+50) SlipshodDread will become famous soon enough. (+50) SlipshodDread will become famous soon enough. (+50) SlipshodDread will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Weighted Wide Grip Pullups (Overhand) were one of the biggest causes of brachialis pain for me. Weighted dips with too much of a ROM can cause tendon pain, depending on form and previous tendon issues. Muscular imbalances are another leading cause, and most likely from the long head of the tricep being too weak in comparison since most exercises commonly done for triceps mainly hit the lateral head, rather than the long head (the part of the tricep closest to the lats, and shares one function with them).

Eugenefd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Depends on the pain, could even be a pinched nerve. As others have said, give it a rest and see if it goes away. Pinched nerves in the neck and shoulders can cause elbow pain.

swark is a name known to all. (+5000) swark is a name known to all. (+5000) swark is a name known to all. (+5000) swark is a name known to all. (+5000) swark is a name known to all. (+5000) swark is a name known to all. (+5000) swark is a name known to all. (+5000) swark is a name known to all. (+5000) swark is a name known to all. (+5000) swark is a name known to all. (+5000) swark is a name known to all. (+5000)
    My 2cents worth:

I've had periodic pain similar to what you described on the inside of my right elbow over the past year. I played around with starting and stopping various exercises to try and find the culprit; once I stopped doing weighted chins/pull-ups the pain disappeared within a week. Once I started doing them again a month later, the pain started to re-emerge. I don't have the same pain presentation with unweighted chinning movements (which have far higher rep. numbers).

My advice would be to stop doing weighted pull-ups or chins for the time being and give it a chance to heal. Then slowly re-introduce with lower weights and higher reps to see what happens.

Brozef has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Brozef has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Brozef has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Brozef has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Brozef has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Brozef has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Brozef has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Brozef has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Brozef has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Brozef has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Brozef has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I'm currently suffering from brachioradialis and bicep tendonitis from weighted chin ups. It has seriously impacted ALL of my upper body workouts. At this time, I cannot do any free weight upper body lifts without some pain or extreme pain.

I attribute my tendonitis to a lack of proper warm ups and advancing into heavy weight to quickly.
    haha money printer go brrr

KAFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Could be from hyperextension of the elbow joint. Do you know for sure it's the pull-ups that caused the elbow pain in that specific area?

If it is, try to avoid dropping the body so abruptly as this may hyperextend the elbow. Focus on slowly lowering the body down and only go until your elbows are just about fully extended.
    Keith Alpichi , B.S. in Kinesiology, CPT, and Founder of KA Fitness & Athletics

Online personal training (Personalized exercise and nutritional programming via online training software application)
    Bootcamp group training & sports performance training based out of San Jose, Ca

Visit www.keithalpichi.com
    For training and business inquiries please email keith@keithalpichi.com

UTCasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCasey is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    When you do full ROM pull-ups, do you depress/retract the scapula before you pull? This takes a lot of pressure off the elbows when doing full ROM, but it takes a little time to get used to.

With the weighted pull-ups, are you using a weight vest or do you have hang the weights from a belt? For me, I stopped weighted pull-ups (and dips) with weights hanging from a belt as a regular part of my workout since it aggravated the elbows and shoulders. (It is nice to use as a test periodically). What I found for me was that when I would use 50+ pounds, my weighted pull-ups and dips looked different than my unweighted pull-ups and dips. When there was enough weight, it changed the movement pattern since the weight would hang straight down. Normally, with pull-ups I have more of a lean back/hollow body position, and with dips a lean forward position, I could not maintain those positions when the weight got high.

When your elbow is feeling better, you may want to film yourself doing regular pull-ups, and some light weighted pull-ups to see if you pull differently with the extra weight.

louistan100046 will become famous soon enough. (+50) louistan100046 will become famous soon enough. (+50) louistan100046 will become famous soon enough. (+50) louistan100046 will become famous soon enough. (+50) louistan100046 will become famous soon enough. (+50) louistan100046 will become famous soon enough. (+50) louistan100046 will become famous soon enough. (+50) louistan100046 will become famous soon enough. (+50) louistan100046 will become famous soon enough. (+50) louistan100046 will become famous soon enough. (+50) louistan100046 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I also do weighted pull-ups/chin-ups and got light pain on the inside (front) of my left elbow. I feel it more when doing weighted chin-ups (underhand) and when extending elbow with palm facing front. Some possible causes for me might be:
    - not enough warm-up (I tend not to warm up too much and just go into the heaviest weight and decrease from there)
    - jerky movement for heavy weight (I should try to control the movement better when going up and down)
    - left arm overcompensating for right arm which was weaker due to recovering from previous injury

I have started changing my training so that only 1 of 2 pull days is weight-specific pullups while the other is more bodyweight pullups. I think it is a better routine for me.

Brynden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brynden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brynden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brynden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brynden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brynden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brynden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brynden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brynden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brynden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brynden will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    People underrate pull up technique difficulty and they start doing weighted pull ups when they cannot perform yet a proper bodyweight pull up (I cannot do it for example).

There comes the aches and pains.

bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000)
    that and heavy presses will contribute to elbow pain. I use elbow sleeves to help keep the elbows warm.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172784881 redtest log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173258571