Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    deadrats is not very helpful. (-500) deadrats is not very helpful. (-500) deadrats is not very helpful. (-500) deadrats is not very helpful. (-500) deadrats is not very helpful. (-500) deadrats is not very helpful. (-500) deadrats is not very helpful. (-500) deadrats is not very helpful. (-500) deadrats is not very helpful. (-500) deadrats is not very helpful. (-500) deadrats is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by wallydubois View Post
    An egg white doesn't have six grams of protein in it, the whole egg does.
    Fine, replace "egg white" with "whole egg" and my test is still valid.

fotv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fotv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fotv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fotv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fotv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fotv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fotv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fotv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fotv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fotv is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fotv is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    So other than raw eggs, which can be dangerous to eat, what other protein sources would you recommend that does not need to be cooked? This would seem pretty low. Some dairy products come to mind. How much of the protein is "damaged" in the heating process?

deadrats is not very helpful. (-500) deadrats is not very helpful. (-500) deadrats is not very helpful. (-500) deadrats is not very helpful. (-500) deadrats is not very helpful. (-500) deadrats is not very helpful. (-500) deadrats is not very helpful. (-500) deadrats is not very helpful. (-500) deadrats is not very helpful. (-500) deadrats is not very helpful. (-500) deadrats is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by fotv View Post
    So other than raw eggs, which can be dangerous to eat, what other protein sources would you recommend that does not need to be cooked? This would seem pretty low. Some dairy products come to mind. How much of the protein is "damaged" in the heating process?
    Based on the chemistry in the links I provided and what I know from my physics background heat changes the structure of molecules in all substances, though various substances require different amounts of heat.

With a protein molecule it's an all or nothing deal, it either has the proper structure or it doesn't, the more heat that is applied the more the molecule is changed and the more molecules in total are changed.

Based on this, one has to conclude that raw protein sources would be the best in terms of bio-availability, but in the interest of fairness, I think that such an approach is over-simplifying things.

The reality is that all animals, including people, have a mechanism in place that results in protein synthesis. In the simplest terms, let's assume you ingested a pure protein source, the body would release a proteinase to break it down into the component amino acids.

With a denatured protein said enzyme could not break it down into the component amino acids (I will provide some excellent links at the end that explains the chemistry of why that is).

Here's the thing though, even though it can't break it down into the component amino acids it is capable of breaking it down into the component elements (Carbon, Hydrogen, Oxygen, Nitrogen) and if the body has the basic elements it's capable of synthesizing the amino acids and consequently the protein molecules if there is a need.

So a more accurate statement is that while a cooked protein can't be used as it is, it still supplies the basic building blocks with which the body can make what it wants, the main advantage with a raw protein is that it's ready to be used as it is.

The reality is that you can stuff yourself with all the protein you want, in the most bio-available form you can imagine, and the fact remains that there is no guarantee that your body will use it to build muscle.

I've known tons of guys that worked out like madmen, stuffed themselves full of as much protein as they could, I knew a guy that ate, and this is no exaggeration, 8 whole chickens a day, it was crazy to watch him eat. Yes he was muscular but for a guy that ate that much protein and was as big as he was, "all" he could bench was 450lbs.

To me protein is way over-rated, just eat a nice thick juicy steak, some sushi and let your body synthesis what it needs.

Here are some great links, warning much of the stuff is pretty technical but if you read through it a few times you should be able to wrap your head around it:

http://www.accessexcellence.org/RC/V..._synthesis.php

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protease

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amino_acid

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatu...iochemistry%29

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_folding

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_coil

http://www.milkfacts.info/Milk%20Com...on/Protein.htm

jdl22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdl22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdl22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdl22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdl22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdl22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdl22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdl22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdl22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdl22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdl22 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Oh wow - these are awesome myths debunked. Love it. I'll have to give your references a look-over, because they're incredibly useful pieces of knowledge to know. Especially when trying to defend the bodybuilding way.
    Personal Blog -- littletontwinsfitness.com

BB.com Online Workout Journal -- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168555843

Bench Press 1RM: 255lbs
    Deadlift: 5 reps @ 315lbs
    Squat 1RM: 275lbs

mexr69 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mexr69 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mexr69 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mexr69 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mexr69 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mexr69 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mexr69 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mexr69 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mexr69 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mexr69 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mexr69 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    awesome thread rep'D

Diiimn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Diiimn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Diiimn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Diiimn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Diiimn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Diiimn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Diiimn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Diiimn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Diiimn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Diiimn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Diiimn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    What do you know, you learn something everyday.

jnorris99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Gym God View Post
    Perhaps the most widely used supplement on the market today – protein powder in the number one quickest and most convenient way to get your daily protein needs met.

Research supports the use of protein for building slabs of muscle, maintaining muscle, increasing metabolism and even reducing hunger between meals. If you really want to get lean, hard muscle, burn off fat and develop a physique for the gods – protein is no doubt at the top of your nutritional choices. Whether you’re a competitive athlete, bodybuilder or weekend warrior looking to add some size or maintain a lean muscular physique, protein should be part of your plan.

Even with all this positive research supporting the benefits, there are still claims made by those who don’t know better. Here is the UNCONTESTED TRUTH.

MYTH #1: PROTEIN POWDER DENATURES FROM COOKING OR BAKING
    While this is true, it doesn’t mean the protein is not still functional or effective! When protein is heated it changes the physical structure of the protein – this change is called denaturation. Denaturation occurs at temperatures above 220 degrees Fahrenheit – so if you are baking with your protein powder, it is most definitely undergoing some changes! Think of a raw egg, when cooked it changes from a liquid to a solid but that doesn’t mean it is less nutritious or packs less of a protein punch! It is still absorbed and utilized by the body in the same manner despite denaturation. Protein powder is versatile and convenient. You can throw it in a blender, or add it to your favorite baked or cooked recipe. Whatever you choose to do with your protein powder, you can be certain you are getting your protein needs met.

MYTH #2: YOUR BODY CAN ONLY ABSORB 30 G OF PROTEIN PER SERVING
    This is far from the truth, as the intestine can absorb up to 90% of all protein that is digested. Once absorbed, free amino acids are released into circulation and are taken up by the liver where they are then used in major metabolic processes like building muscle! If your need for protein is lower at the time of ingestion, instead of getting rid of the extra protein, the body actually just slows down its rate of digestion. Bottom line – the stomach will take its sweet time to release amino acids into the gut where they can then be absorbed and utilized when needed. One study showed that eating a 54 gram serving of protein in one meal versus four meals for 2-weeks found no difference between the groups in terms of protein synthesis or degradation. Which means, it really doesn’t matter how much or when you eat your protein, in time it will be utilized and absorbed by your body.

Myth #3: TOO MUCH PROTEIN TURNS TO FAT
    The truth is, if you eat too much of any food eventually it will turn into fat, but when it comes to protein you would have to eat a whole lot and not much of anything else to make that happen. As just discussed, when we over eat on protein – instead of getting rid of it, the body just simply slows down its digestion process until it can utilize it. During the digestion process, protein is broken down for aminos, which are then taken up by the liver, where they are then directed to where they are most needed. Making protein into fat is not a preferred or necessarily easy pathway to go down. In fact, one study showed that overeating on protein didn’t even result in fat gain, it actually contributed to gains in lean body mass!

Myth #4: TOO MUCH PROTEIN IS BAD FOR YOUR KIDNEYS
    This myth arose out of a 30-year old study that suggested that eating more protein increased a person’s GFR or glomerular filtration rate, which is the amount of blood the kidneys filter per minute. This study lead to the assumption that the higher the GFR the greater the stress on the kidneys. But this is not true, nor substantiated! In fact, in a review of the published research – studies found there is no significant evidence for the supposed detrimental effect that a high protein diet can have on kidney function of a healthy person, even with intakes of up to double the recommended dietary allowance.

Myth #5: VEGAN PROTEIN POWDERS ARE COMPLETE PROTEINS
    Although it is true that Vegan protein powder formulations are much better than they use to be, when it comes to quality, many Vegan protein powders still fall short. Vegan proteins do not provide a full or complete amino acid profile, and as a result many Vegan protein powders are made up of various sources of vegan proteins to give a full amino profile, such as pea, soy, hemp and brown rice protein. Now while they may provide the full complement of essential aminos the body needs, they still don’t provide them in the best possible ratio that can be fully utilized by the body. That means while a Vegan protein may deliver all the aminos, they do not provide enough of the essentials to be used by the body to help stimulate the muscle building process. As a result, Vegan protein powders fall short, providing a biological value between 65% for a straight pea protein to 86% for a blended protein. Compare that to a pure whey protein, which delivers a biological value of 104 %!

Myth #6: PROTEIN POWDERS ARE 100% PROTEIN
    This is only true if the company you are buying your protein powder from is delivering on their label claims. Unfortunately these days, many companies cut corners to save on costs by using cheap fillers and non-essential aminos to falsely amplify the actual amount of pure protein per serving. Be sure to read the nutrition facts panel carefully, including the ingredient listing. If you see cheap aminos like Glycine or Taurine high on the list, you can be certain your protein is ‘Spiked!’ Added essential aminos including the Branched Chain Amino Acids – Isoleucine, Leucine and Valine are highly involved in the muscle building process, and are needed by the body, not to mention adding them is not cheap either. To further ensure you are getting a quality product, always look for a cGMP (current Good Manufacturing Practice) certification on the label, and check the company’s website to ensure 3rd party validation!

References:
    Arnal MA, et al. Protein Feeding Pattern Does Not Affect Protein Retention in Young Women. J Nutr. 2000. 130(7): 1700.
    Berue S. Vegan Protein Powder Supplements of High Biological Value. J Renal Nutr. 2012. 22(4): e39-41.
    Bray GA, et al. Effect of dietary protein content on weight gain, energy expenditure, and body composition during overeating: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2012. 307:47-55.
    Martin WF, Armstrong LE, Rodriguez NR. Dietary protein intake and renal function. Nutr Metab. 2005. 2:25.
    Paulsson M, et al. Thermal Denaturation of Whey Proteins in Mixtures with Caseins Studied by Differential Scanning Calorimetry. J Dairy Sci. 1990. 73(3): 590-600.
    Ten Have GA, Engelen MP, Luiking YC, Deutz NE. Absorption kinetics of amino acids, peptides, and intact proteins. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2007. 17 Suppl: S23-36.
    Interesting read. I never gave it too much thought . I used to use protein powder on a regular basis and then just got away from it. I guess I should look into adding it back to my eating habits. Thanks! Is there a brand you like the best?

Motiviert has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Motiviert has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Motiviert has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Motiviert has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Motiviert has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Motiviert has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Motiviert has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Motiviert has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Motiviert has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Motiviert has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Motiviert has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Subbed to show gym buddies/p.t. clients. Thank you for citing these as well. Sorry for old thread bump.
    I know who I am. And after all these years, there’s a victory in that.

All liberals deserve death

*Proud member of the misc 767 & USA vs. Germany world cup ban
    -People who say money can't buy happiness, have never paid the adoption fee at the pound and went home with a new best friend
    *There's no such thing as a bad dog, only a bad dog owner

If you see myself and swoleyo in a thread, remind me to rep him.

JonathanSlaven is just really nice. (+1000) JonathanSlaven is just really nice. (+1000) JonathanSlaven is just really nice. (+1000) JonathanSlaven is just really nice. (+1000) JonathanSlaven is just really nice. (+1000) JonathanSlaven is just really nice. (+1000) JonathanSlaven is just really nice. (+1000) JonathanSlaven is just really nice. (+1000) JonathanSlaven is just really nice. (+1000) JonathanSlaven is just really nice. (+1000) JonathanSlaven is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by deadrats View Post
    My mind isn't "set", I have a background in physics and comp sci and as part of my course work I took more than a handful of chem classes in college, the information in the articles I linked to coincides with what I know of chemistry in general.

Now If you can point me to an unbiased source, not some study, but a scientifically accurate counter to the articles I linked to, preferably penned by an MD or bio-chemist or from a major university, I will be more than happy to retract my statements.

But you and I both know you are incapable of doing so because basic bio-chem directly contradicts the claims made in your article.

An educated public is the biggest threat to supplement companies, there was time when they could get away with using some steroid abusing spokesmen to sell their trash, but now with the advent of the internet and people in general learning more, those days are slowly coming to a close.

My issue isn't "a bad experience" with some supplement company, my issue is that the supplement companies spent millions fighting the FDA years ago, when the FDA was trying to regulate them. These companies banded together and spent millions in lobbying efforts to get legislation passed that gave them an exemption to FDA regulations; so long as a company puts that stupid disclaimer about the FDA not having evaluated their statements and that their product is not meant to diagnose, cure or treat any disease they are allowed to make any claim they want.

It's laughable beyond belief, they will put in huge letters "this stuff reduces recovery time, will add 20lbs of muscle in 6 weeks" and all sorts of bogus claims, then on the back of the package in small letters and a color that is barely distinguishable from the label background they put the disclaimer, which effectively means that they know the stuff they sell is a rip off.

Then guys like you market the stuff on sites like this, using misleading articles, lies and free samples, in order to get the gullible to part with their cash.

It's disgraceful, it's a con job and people like you should be ashamed of themselves.
    I'm torn. I agree with you in part and disagree. Yes, the health and wellness industry's full of unctuous salesmen. But more government regulation from the FDA is the answer? Some products have tried to go through their channels, but in order to be a registered allopathic 'drug' they require the supplement to address only one 'symptom'. Needless to say, your bloated bureaucratic state institutions, such as the FDA, are just as soulless as the health and wellness Chichikovs. I appreciate your knowledge and wisdom, but please, don't advocate more control to the politburo aparatchiki.