Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by steffo99 View Post
    A little bump to keep this one alive.
    Stunning imagery.....I love this stuff.

Thanks for the bumpeth.

Carry on....
    USMC: 1965-1969
    Original music:
    https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?bandID=897733
    https://soundcloud.com/chulaivet1966
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/chulaivet/videos

Just an old guy trying to keep up his rhythm chops.
    "One persons perception of good music can be another persons definition of noise"

Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    For those of like minds.....retirement of the Hubble and rise of the James Webb.

http://jwst.nasa.gov/index.html

Clicking on the 'About The Webb' tells us it's scheduled for launch in October 2018.

My current goal in this short life is to stay ornery and live long enough to witness this launch and treat my orbital photon receptors to take in even more detailed cosmic eye candy.

I recall the Hubble launch (and the fix necessary...ouch for NASA) with clarity.
    It's deep field image, confirmation of the acceleration of the universe's expansion to name a couple of Hubble's discoveries.
    Twenty five years in service is an outstanding legacy for that old bird.

Back to it....
    Original music:

"One persons perception of good music can be another persons definition of noise"

whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Cool thread and sites recommended. I like science.

mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Wayne Evans View Post
    For those of like minds.....retirement of the Hubble and rise of the James Webb.

http://jwst.nasa.gov/index.html

Clicking on the 'About The Webb' tells us it's scheduled for launch in October 2018.

My current goal in this short life is to stay ornery and live long enough to witness this launch and treat my orbital photon receptors to take in even more detailed cosmic eye candy.

I recall the Hubble launch (and the fix necessary...ouch for NASA) with clarity.
    It's deep field image, confirmation of the acceleration of the universe's expansion to name a couple of Hubble's discoveries.
    Twenty five years in service is an outstanding legacy for that old bird.

Back to it....
    Speaking of the Hubble, I just showed my students the movie NOVA: Hunting the Edge of Space (part 1 and 2). Great movie to explain simply the expansion of the universe theory, red shifting and all that! (and it's all on YouTube!)

** Marie **
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenge, wish for more wisdom." - Jim Rohn

OV35 Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157469793

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Took physics in HS and loved it. Much more interesting than just math. Also, took astronomy in college for two semesters. Really cool stuff. Black holes were just a theory back then, and now there is just about proof that they exist.

Very recently I read that they (someone) found the furthest galaxy, ever, that is 13.1 billion light years away. Not just 13.1 million miles. A light year equals ~5.6 trillion miles. That's really far. What is more interesting is that we see something like that as it was 13.1 billion light years ago. No telling what t looks like right now, unless we travel there, which for now is impossible.

Did anyone read that NASA is working literally on traveling faster than the speed of light? They gave an example if we had a ship that could use this type of propulsion, you could travel to Mars in 30 days. Here is the reference: http://www.space.com/26713-impossibl...nasa-test.html
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Mark1T View Post

Did anyone read that NASA is working literally on traveling faster than the speed of light? They gave an example if we had a ship that could use this type of propulsion, you could travel to Mars in 30 days. Here is the reference: http://www.space.com/26713-impossibl...nasa-test.html
    It'll never happen. Theoretically, all kinds of things are plausible, but in real time, no way anyone will be able to travel faster than the speed of light. Not a human, anyway. lol

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by whatevergirl View Post
    It'll never happen. Theoretically, all kinds of things are plausible, but in real time, no way anyone will be able to travel faster than the speed of light. Not a human, anyway. lol
    Ah, but Ms. gurl, you have to believe. There are new theories. New ideas. I'm going to do it and I will show you!

Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

Ah, but Ms. gurl, you have to believe. There are new theories. New ideas. I'm going to do it and I will show you!

haha Maybe you are not human?

The 'vehicle' that would be required to transport you (safely) at a rate faster than (or even at) the speed of light would be tons of $$. I have faith in you though. If anyone can do it, it might just be you.

DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by mcbourque View Post
    Great movie to explain simply the expansion of the universe theory
    Not theory, fact. It's measurable and incontrovertible. Explaining why it's expanding and accelerating takes some theory.

Mars is close enough that light speed would get you there in 3-4 minutes when it's at opposition.
    Peace: Lift Long and Prosper!

Alamagan Dgan - and proud of it!

Lean, mean, geek machine

I'm one....especially archaeology, astronomy.

Carry on....
    I like archaeology, too. Would have made for a really cool career.

http://news.discovery.com/history/ar...015-150103.htm

(click on ''next'' in the link to scroll through)

I believe the reference I am referring to is not the speed of light, but nevertheless extremely fast. So fast as to get to Mars in about 30 days or so.

The reference again: Here is the reference: http://www.space.com/26713-impossibl...nasa-test.html

Has to do with space-time-continuum. Very interesting and theoretically possible.

Originally Posted by mcbourque View Post
    Speaking of the Hubble, I just showed my students the movie NOVA: Hunting the Edge of Space (part 1 and 2). Great movie to explain simply the expansion of the universe theory, red shifting and all that! (and it's all on YouTube!)
    Reveille everyone...

Yes...that Nova program (1 and 2) is still on my DVR for viewing again.
    Along with that NOVA series on 2/18/15 I watched and DVR'ed 'Petra: The Lost City Of Stone'....good watch I might add.

MarkIT....
    My current opinion...I don't think us puny humans will ever be able to surpass the SOL.
    But, it seems to me being able to bend space would be a more valid approach to long distance space travel.
    Ha...yes....'5.6 trillion miles' is 'really far'.

Whatevergirl....
    I also love archeology....maybe you can catch the 'Petra' story I note above sometime.

DocHoss....
    Yep...the expansion is fact and the surprise was the expansion was accelerating (red shift) which IIRC was confirmed back in '96.

Thanks for keeping this one alive and kicking.

Feliz Viernes hente y mas cafe para mi....carry on.
    Last edited by Wayne Evans; 05-08-2015 at 07:53 AM.
    Original music:

nathanb42 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nathanb42 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nathanb42 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nathanb42 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nathanb42 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nathanb42 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nathanb42 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nathanb42 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nathanb42 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nathanb42 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nathanb42 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I believe the reference I am referring to is not the speed of light, but nevertheless extremely fast. So fast as to get to Mars in about 30 days or so.

Has to do with space-time-continuum. Very interesting and theoretically possible.
    That 30 days or so can be down with Ion Thrusters that NASA is already using. A major limitation on the speed is the force that a human body can withstand. If you want the humans to survive the trip would be around 39 days. The spacecraft would spend half the trip in positive acceleration and the second half negative.

MarkIT....
    My current opinion...I don't think us puny humans will ever be able to surpass the SOL.
    But, it seems to me being able to bend space would be a more valid approach to long distance space travel.
    Ha...yes....'5.6 trillion miles' is 'really far'.
    Yes, I agree. In layman's terms, the bending of space to travel is what the link I provided refers to. By that method, the SOL is not necessary.

Originally Posted by nathanb42 View Post
    That 30 days or so can be down with Ion Thrusters that NASA is already using. A major limitation on the speed is the force that a human body can withstand. If you want the humans to survive the trip would be around 39 days. The spacecraft would spend half the trip in positive acceleration and the second half negative.
    Interesting. Thanks.

Yes, I agree. In layman's terms, the bending of space to travel is what the link I provided refers to. By that method, the SOL is not necessary.
    Yep.

"Imagine, if you will" that we do (a millennium or so from now) achieve the ability to bend space for cosmic travel and have determined that the SOL is actually irrelevant.
    Whew...what a mind bender.

Back to it.....
    Original music:

DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by nathanb42 View Post
    That 30 days or so can be down with Ion Thrusters that NASA is already using.
    Yes, the Dawn mission now in orbit around dwarf planet Ceres uses ion thrusters.

Lean, mean, geek machine

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    For you rock lickers (or *us* rock lickers, I should say) there's a great article posted on Ars Technica about the rise and rise of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. The Ars resident science writer has been putting together some superb material lately.

And for those of you wanting to expand our minds further than the solar system, I was looking for a link to http://www.centauri-dreams.org/. It's a blog that is truly thought-inspiring.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

Originally Posted by whatevergirl View Post
    I like archaeology, too. Would have made for a really cool career. http://news.discovery.com/history/ar...015-150103.htm (click on ''next'' in the link to scroll through)
    Somehow I had a daft moment and didn't catch this post.

Absolutely....too bad no one is willing to pay me a living wage, carry a pack of archaeo goodies and turn me loose with my paint brush and ice pick to gently reveal ancient history.
    I did have the very timely opportunity in 1971 (college geology class) to be involved in the excavation site of an Ohlone Indian burial site in Los Altos Hills, Ca..
    I did uncover a skull and partial shoulder area.....loved the experience.

Regarding that site your suggest: I click 'next' and even tried the little arrow at right of the first image and the page does not advance.
    I don't have a clue as to why but will try again later.

Thanks for the link....back to it.
    Last edited by Wayne Evans; 05-21-2015 at 11:46 AM.
    Original music:

Frnkd is a name known to all. (+5000) Frnkd is a name known to all. (+5000) Frnkd is a name known to all. (+5000) Frnkd is a name known to all. (+5000) Frnkd is a name known to all. (+5000) Frnkd is a name known to all. (+5000) Frnkd is a name known to all. (+5000) Frnkd is a name known to all. (+5000) Frnkd is a name known to all. (+5000) Frnkd is a name known to all. (+5000) Frnkd is a name known to all. (+5000)
    neat post, I recalled that part of physical science on mass and gravitational pull.

I got caught up trying to make little orbits around a red planet.
    I'm open to any suggestions and have a difficult time accepting limitations without an honest effort on my part, you can count on that!

"iCan, iWill, iHave"

There are always choices, no bad ones, no good ones, only "great" ones,
    "Oh, great!" :)

steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Technology put to good use.

[QUOTE=steffo99;1365331551Technology put to good use.[/QUOTE]

Ha...on spread.

Great invention.

Back to it....
    Original music:

What do you get whn you divide the moon's circumference by its diameter?

Pi in the sky

(OK, go ahead and slap me!)

Lean, mean, geek machine

steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Philae the comet lander has awakened!

http://www.***.com/news/science-environment-33126885

censored by BB.com! Replace the stars with b b c

Lean, mean, geek machine

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by DocHoss View Post
    Philae the comet lander has awakened!

http://www.***.com/news/science-environment-33126885

censored by BB.com! Replace the stars with b b c
    YES!!! That was great news. Almost everything happening with space exploration is good news right now. It's a good time to be a space geek.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

Watched this the other day on TV, but saw youtube had it uploaded a few months ago.

Extremely well preserved, 40k yr old mammoth, being autopsied and a South Korean lab working on getting complete strands of dna for cloning.
    Blood came pouring out as they hacked into it in the permafrost, and the trunk they dissect looks like it was from an animal that
    died yesterday.

DocHoss.....

I saw that yesterday too.
    Pretty cool surprise for all those that built and launched it.
    That sort of thing is great for us sci-'geeks'.
    (Of course, I liked your Pi joke too. )

Steff099...
    Ohhhh yeah....'Blood came pouring out as they hacked into it in the permafrost'.
    Fascinating find and something (the Mammoth cloning) I've thought deeply about for some time.

I guess we'll have to continue waiting for subsequent surprises.

Thanks for commenting.....back at it.
    Original music:

ted01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ted01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ted01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ted01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ted01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ted01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ted01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ted01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ted01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ted01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ted01 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Love this thread. I have subscribed to a NASA publication called NASA Tech Briefs for over twenty years. I can't tell you how many times I've read about some research project that NASA funded that ends up in the private sector here on Earth helping people. The best part? The magazine is FREE!!

http://www.techbriefs.com/ntb-subscribe

Feliz Viernes....

First....
    I'm extremely intrigued by Kepler's latest find being Kepler-186f.
    Of course, we still don't know enough yet but the basic criteria for any sort of bio-life seems could actually be present according to the current banter.

https://www.nasa.gov/ames/kepler/nas...f-another-star

Second....
    New Horizons is beginning to send back images of Pluto.
    The fact it has any sort of atmosphere is a total surprise (cosmologists have know for some time) to me.

http://www.nasa.gov/

Be safe on this Friday eve and do carry on....

(thanks whatevergirl for contributing....on spread)
    Original music: