Softmuscled is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Softmuscled is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Softmuscled is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Softmuscled is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Softmuscled is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Softmuscled is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Softmuscled is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Softmuscled is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Softmuscled is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Softmuscled is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Softmuscled is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Too much muscle bad for the heart?

Today was my 2nd cross country workout. People who didnt see me since track season didnt even recognize me. I gained 35 pounds of muscle since track season and though it might be good for sprinting I am having a much harder time running long distance now. Last year when i weighed 105 pounds my legs hurt more when running long, now at 160 pounds my chest (heart, lungs) are more sore. I am guessing that since i am heavier, my heart has a harder time pumping blood to all of my body. This got me thinking about quitting cross country because my coach says i need to lose weight inorder to get better lol. I am not going to lose anyweight.. thats for sure! but i got afew questions...

1. is too much muscle bad for the heart. I am not talking about me and 160 pounds, i mean someone whos 240 pounds 5% bodyfat or someone like ronnie.
    2.Do they have heart problems?
    3.can they run more then a mile?
    4.and if i keep doing cross country for the next 2 months, will i get all my skill back from last year?

Agile, Mobile and Hostile MYNAMEIZGREG's Avatar
    MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Have you been working on your cardio? If not, you may just be out of shape. Also, aerodynamics play a role in long distance running, so the extra 35 pounds of muscle will slow you down a little.
    Making it my job to educate the younguns...
    --------------------------
    You didn't come here to make the choice. You've already made it. You're here to try to understand why you made it.

Softmuscled is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Softmuscled is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Softmuscled is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Softmuscled is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Softmuscled is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Softmuscled is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Softmuscled is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Softmuscled is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Softmuscled is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Softmuscled is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Softmuscled is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    well yeah, i didnt do anything but workout for 3 months. Last year i could do a 75 min run with the same difficulty as i ran 30 mins today.

i am also about 10 - 12 % bodyfat as i can see my abs without flexing.

Gr8Ape is just really nice. (+1000) Gr8Ape is just really nice. (+1000) Gr8Ape is just really nice. (+1000) Gr8Ape is just really nice. (+1000) Gr8Ape is just really nice. (+1000) Gr8Ape is just really nice. (+1000) Gr8Ape is just really nice. (+1000) Gr8Ape is just really nice. (+1000) Gr8Ape is just really nice. (+1000) Gr8Ape is just really nice. (+1000) Gr8Ape is just really nice. (+1000)
    oh then if u didnt do anlot of cardio in the last three months dont worry the muscle isnt slowing you down, ull get back to wut u were

as your your theory that ronnie coleman and the likes, because they have a ****load of muscle and blood, it may be true, but it narrows down to: you have to do cardio to have a stronger heart
    ~460/~320/510 pr's

fun pr's
    deadlift 340 x 15
    squats 245 x 45

6' ~220

Arthur Saxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arthur Saxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arthur Saxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arthur Saxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arthur Saxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arthur Saxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arthur Saxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arthur Saxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arthur Saxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arthur Saxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arthur Saxon will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    About Ronnie, let's not forget what steroids and HGH can do to the heart.

Pro Natural Bodybuilder FATHER FLEX's Avatar
    FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Well if there is more of you for your heart to have to pump blood to, then it is quite obvious that your heart will have work harder. Your heart is a muscle though, and it will adjust to new loads, by becoming stronger. Now at 160 pounds I don't think you are putting too much stress on your heart, and yes you know this.

As a X country runner I am sure that you have noticed that their isn't many 200 plus pound runners. So yes as you get bigger your heart does have a harder time getting enough blood around, although that's a given.

Oh and don't worry about it, I am 210 pounds and still manage to help coach the local high school cross country team. Which means I have to run with them, and at my weight I still have a very good mile time. So yes your body should probably have no trouble getting back to form. You will probably loose about 10 pounds in the process though...Like I said above, your heart will get used to the new you and in the process you will probably loose a couple pounds to make things a little bit easier on your cardiovascular system....Yeah our bodies are much smarter than us
    100% Natural Bodybuilding!
    http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/

Where there are no men be a man.

Even a genius asks questions.

Knowledge is the child of confusion.

10 pounds!?!?!?!? no thx, ill just eat 1000 more cals a day.

most x-country runners weight about 80-120 pounds.

FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I doubt you have much fat on you, but some of it might be fat. Also excess muscle that is not being recruited when you are running is most likely to become a victim to the catabolic state youwill gor through. Oh and yes its a good thing you know how to manipulate your diet, which is very important.

Also I have noticed that the better CC runners are those who around 120-140 pounds. They tend to be the more powerfull runners, who have more speed at the end. Good luck with all of this again..

thanks, but i dont want to do this, i am doing it to get into shape. if i start losing ANY size, ill quit and do slow cardio on my own just for my heart to keep working

Agile, Mobile and Hostile MYNAMEIZGREG's Avatar
    MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally posted by Softmuscled
    thanks, but i dont want to do this, i am doing it to get into shape. if i start losing ANY size, ill quit and do slow cardio on my own just for my heart to keep working
    Not a bad idea. Also, tell your coach that, if you cannot get thrown off the team .
    Making it my job to educate the younguns...
    --------------------------
    You didn't come here to make the choice. You've already made it. You're here to try to understand why you made it.

Registered User NorthwesternLif's Avatar
    NorthwesternLif has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by FATHER FLEX

Also I have noticed that the better CC runners are those who around 120-140 pounds. They tend to be the more powerfull runners, who have more speed at the end. Good luck with all of this again..
    I ran CC and I was a powerful 180. The reason you are slow is because you are just out of shape. I got faster as I put muscle on my body including areas like my back and chest. Sophomore year I ran like 17:30 for 5k @ 150 lbs and by senior year i was doing 16:30's @ 180+ lbs. You don't have to loose wieght just keep the HEALTHY calories up and do some longer PPM runs. Cross Country + Body Building = The Most shreaded physique you will ever have
    18 y.o.
    6'2" 185 lbs

Jcfreak_02 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jcfreak_02 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jcfreak_02 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jcfreak_02 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jcfreak_02 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jcfreak_02 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jcfreak_02 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jcfreak_02 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jcfreak_02 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jcfreak_02 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jcfreak_02 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Granted you have to carry 35lbs more of you wherever you go. Did you keep running while you were bulking? That is my primary guess why it may be harder. You didn't run, and then you are out of condition. I haven't heard anything like heart problems being a problem from gaining muscle. I suggest you see a doctor to make sure you don't have any heart conditions.
    God is bigger than you
    Christianity isn't just a belief, it is a lifestyle.
    "Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did"- 1 John 2:6

Originally posted by Jcfreak_02
    Granted you have to carry 35lbs more of you wherever you go. Did you keep running while you were bulking? That is my primary guess why it may be harder. You didn't run, and then you are out of condition. I haven't heard anything like heart problems being a problem from gaining muscle. I suggest you see a doctor to make sure you don't have any heart conditions.
    no, when track ended all i did was bulk. I started liking bodybuilding more then running. so i guess i am out of shape.
    Last edited by Softmuscled; 09-04-2003 at 06:59 PM.

Originally posted by NorthwesternLif
    I ran CC and I was a powerful 180. The reason you are slow is because you are just out of shape. I got faster as I put muscle on my body including areas like my back and chest. Sophomore year I ran like 17:30 for 5k @ 150 lbs and by senior year i was doing 16:30's @ 180+ lbs. You don't have to loose wieght just keep the HEALTHY calories up and do some longer PPM runs. Cross Country + Body Building = The Most shreaded physique you will ever have
    Most runners that are 180 pounds don't have the stamina to put themselves in a position where they can hang around in the front of the pack, so that they could muscle them out towards the end. Well maybe not once state trials come around.

Me myself I can run at 210 pounds with out any problem, if I do a 5k race I find myself having a hard time to even get close to the front of the pack, so it doesn't even matter that I am I am have a powerfull kick.

Being massive just doesn't go very well hand in hand with long distance running, especially when it comes to competing at the higher levels. Which is why I compete anyways, to go up against the very best.

yup, most of those runners are shrimps. I am built for sprints.

psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    yea im 35lbs up from last time iw as running in xc, and ive only ran twice since april :\

first training run is next wednesday so ill see how it goes, im sure i will be ****ing owned. I dont mind though, i dont run it the team to place well or anything

Scaarub will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scaarub will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scaarub will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scaarub will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scaarub will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scaarub will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scaarub will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scaarub will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scaarub will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scaarub will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scaarub will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    yup, dont ggive up running in bodybuilding. if you wanna keep your speed but have a better body, you should keep running like everyday so it will feel natural when you run 3 or 4 months later, you wont lose any speed and will also gain some size. Keep running and training, the more mass you have the more water you shud drink (when running) to keep your body hydrated so you wont sweat so much and go too out of breath. either way you just need to run about 20 mins a day (do about 30 mins until you get back to normal speed) then add muscle mass, that way youll be big, without being slow. just because you have more muscle doesnt mean youll be slower. look at gunther Schlierkamp, he is amazingly fast, and he is also massive
    It's not he who knows more that is the better lifter, it is he who puts into action what he knows.

jay81 is just really nice. (+1000) jay81 is just really nice. (+1000) jay81 is just really nice. (+1000) jay81 is just really nice. (+1000) jay81 is just really nice. (+1000) jay81 is just really nice. (+1000) jay81 is just really nice. (+1000) jay81 is just really nice. (+1000) jay81 is just really nice. (+1000) jay81 is just really nice. (+1000) jay81 is just really nice. (+1000)
    As far as a lot of muscle stressing the heart - it depends what kind of weight it is. Fat is just dead weight that is like carrying around extra luggage so obviously too much of that is unhealthy, but muscle is actually functional. The more muscle you have the more blood that it needs though. When you put on muscle your heart adapts by increasing stroke rate, which means each stroke pumps out more blood. So your heart is getting more blood around your body with basically the same amount of effort. I don't think this happens to anywhere near the same extent when you just keep putting on fat which places a huge stress on your heart. Using steroids is another story all together though because that opens up a whole new range of possibilities. Anyway, this is just off the top of my head, I could be wrong about some things. Maybe someone more medically knowledgeable could chime in. Interesting topic.

Joka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by jay81
    As far as a lot of muscle stressing the heart - it depends what kind of weight it is. Fat is just dead weight that is like carrying around extra luggage so obviously too much of that is unhealthy, but muscle is actually functional. The more muscle you have the more blood that it needs though. When you put on muscle your heart adapts by increasing stroke rate, which means each stroke pumps out more blood. So your heart is getting more blood around your body with basically the same amount of effort. I don't think this happens to anywhere near the same extent when you just keep putting on fat which places a huge stress on your heart. Using steroids is another story all together though because that opens up a whole new range of possibilities. Anyway, this is just off the top of my head, I could be wrong about some things. Maybe someone more medically knowledgeable could chime in. Interesting topic.
    Ching....

There is one know fact, a life of poor diet choice and little to no exercise (sedentary) leads to high blood pressure, this means the heart needs to work harder to pump the blood around the body, due to an increase in peripheral resistance (Diastolic), as a result the Left Ventricle of the heart Hypertrophies due to the increased stress, and work load. Ultimately this will lead to left Ventricular Heart failure and of cause eventually death.

Bodybuilders are generally in a much better and informed position to make appropriate desciscions regarding correct diet and exercise, and maintain these activities for life, they become habitual, just as bad diet and no exercise does to the majority. Your blood pressure will be optimal, your HDL/LDL levels will be in check, and your heart will pump much more efficiently for much longer.

Not to mention the risks of developing any form of cancer are significantly reduced by maitaining a healthy diet and exercise.

JK

jay81 is just really nice. (+1000) jay81 is just really nice. (+1000) jay81 is just really nice. (+1000) jay81 is just really nice. (+1000) jay81 is just really nice. (+1000) jay81 is just really nice. (+1000) jay81 is just really nice. (+1000) jay81 is just really nice. (+1000) jay81 is just really nice. (+1000) jay81 is just really nice. (+1000) jay81 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by Joka
    Ching....

There is one know fact, a life of poor diet choice and little to no exercise (sedentary) leads to high blood pressure, this means the heart needs to work harder to pump the blood around the body, due to an increase in peripheral resistance (Diastolic), as a result the Left Ventricle of the heart Hypertrophies due to the increased stress, and work load. Ultimately this will lead to left Ventricular Heart failure and of cause eventually death.

Bodybuilders are generally in a much better and informed position to make appropriate desciscions regarding correct diet and exercise, and maintain these activities for life, they become habitual, just as bad diet and no exercise does to the majority. Your blood pressure will be optimal, your HDL/LDL levels will be in check, and your heart will pump much more efficiently for much longer.

Not to mention the risks of developing any form of cancer are significantly reduced by maitaining a healthy diet and exercise.

JK
    Yeah I knew about high blood pressure and cholesterol being a couple of the main factors already but I'm not 100% certain about the differences between extra fat and extra muscle in terms of stress on the heart. Extra fat being detrimental in this area is agiven regardless of your life style but I don't think it's the same case w/ extra muscle. What do you think?

femorisbrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) femorisbrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) femorisbrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) femorisbrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) femorisbrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) femorisbrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) femorisbrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) femorisbrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) femorisbrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) femorisbrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) femorisbrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Softmuscled View Post
    Today was my 2nd cross country workout. People who didnt see me since track season didnt even recognize me. I gained 35 pounds of muscle since track season and though it might be good for sprinting I am having a much harder time running long distance now. Last year when i weighed 105 pounds my legs hurt more when running long, now at 160 pounds my chest (heart, lungs) are more sore. I am guessing that since i am heavier, my heart has a harder time pumping blood to all of my body. This got me thinking about quitting cross country because my coach says i need to lose weight inorder to get better lol. I am not going to lose anyweight.. thats for sure! but i got afew questions...

1. is too much muscle bad for the heart. I am not talking about me and 160 pounds, i mean someone whos 240 pounds 5% bodyfat or someone like ronnie.
    2.Do they have heart problems?
    3.can they run more then a mile?
    4.and if i keep doing cross country for the next 2 months, will i get all my skill back from last year?
    U gained 35 lbs of muscle right? Ok here's an experiment. Walk up a flight of stairs and see how tired you are. Now try it again holding a 35 lb plate. Dos this answer your question?
    Above 20% body fat crew
    Still obsessed with my ex crew
    When will it be mine turn crew
    I still think I'm going to look like zyzz and do it naturally crew
    Forever alone crew