Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by 1651Naismith View Post
    Not sure this will help you much since others have provided more detailed reviews and comparisons, but...

I've had my OHP ~4-6 weeks (bare steel) and have been *very* pleased with it. I really like the knurl. Its very grippy, but not overly aggressive. No issues with front squats (neck), heavy presses, presses at higher reps (8-12), or DLs.

The sleeves spin surprising well. I haven't done a side-by-side test, but it seems comparable to my Rep Fitness Excalibur oly bar.

I like the slightly thicker bar (29 mm). More comfortable when pressing and I haven't experienced any grip issues when DL'ing (but my DLs suck).

The bare steel feels really nice. No maintenance issues so far, but its still new and I live in Colorado (very arid, except for the last month) with the gym is in my basement. I plan to put oil on it every quarter or so.

For $250 (US), I've been very happy with it.
    Interesting and thanks! It comes to about $360 for me (CAD) but still looks like the best value for what you'd get. In comparison, so get a TPB would be $450-500

repped
    Last edited by TipsyBanker; 06-04-2015 at 11:26 AM.

jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000)
    I am still very happy with my OPB as well and have been using it more than my TPB, though I would still recommend either.
    ▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #1 ▪[M]====[6]▪

My gym progress: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168508603

TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TipsyBanker has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by jtaliani View Post
    I am still very happy with my OPB as well and have been using it more than my TPB, though I would still recommend either.
    Cool, thanks. I think I am going to go with the OPB over the TPB because of the price difference...

repped

Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by TipsyBanker View Post
    Cool, thanks. I think I am going to go with the OPB over the TPB because of the price difference...

repped
    In Canada, you're right. The carriers of the TPB are charging too much for it now. I would never spend $450 on a TPB - that's almost the cost of the the Ivanko power bar.

I was lucky and able to get my TPB for around $300 which I think if very fair in CAD.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #79 []---[]
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #2 ||---||
    ▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #4 ▪[M]====[6]▪

Originally Posted by Vmango View Post
    In Canada, you're right. The carriers of the TPB are charging too much for it now. I would never spend $450 on a TPB - that's almost the cost of the the Ivanko power bar.

I was lucky and able to get my TPB for around $300 which I think if very fair in CAD.
    Wouldnt mind paying 300, even the OPB will cost more than that lol ... im going to keep looking for a bit, maybe ill find a good price somewhere...

aswolldragon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So which one would you guys get then.
    About to order a barbell but can't decide between the two.

mliebs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mliebs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mliebs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mliebs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mliebs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mliebs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mliebs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mliebs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mliebs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mliebs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mliebs has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by aswolldragon View Post
    So which one would you guys get then.
    About to order a barbell but can't decide between the two.
    I sold my TPB and just purchased the OPB about 2 weeks ago. IMO I think the OPB is a nicer bar. The knurling feels a little less pointy, I love the bare steel, and the collars rotate much better/quieter. From what I'm seeing the OPB is better in the fit and finish department. Don't get me wrong, the TPB is a nice quality bar but I think Rogue really did a great job at this price point.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #86 []---[]
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #26 ||---||

Originally Posted by mliebs View Post
    I sold my TPB and just purchased the OPB about 2 weeks ago. IMO I think the OPB is a nicer bar. The knurling feels a little less pointy, I love the bare steel, and the collars rotate much better/quieter. From what I'm seeing the OPB is better in the fit and finish department. Don't get me wrong, the TPB is a nice quality bar but I think Rogue really did a great job at this price point.
    I see thanks. Have to wait 6 to 10 days before it ships for the bare steel OPB. What's the difference between the zinc and bare steel?

ASOUL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASOUL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I see thanks. Have to wait 6 to 10 days before it ships for the bare steel OPB. What's the difference between the zinc and bare steel?
    Zinc has a rust resistance coating. Bare steel is bare steel and has a better feel because of no coating but has more maintenance.

Originally Posted by ASOUL View Post
    Zinc has a rust resistance coating. Bare steel is bare steel and has a better feel because of no coating but has more maintenance.
    Oh kk thank you.

Oh kk thank you.
    I am going with the black zinc coating OPB, not interested in the maintenance of a bare steel bar for my first bar. Maybe in the future... Weather is also too crazy in ontario lol and I am sure bare steel would be a pain

dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I am going with the black zinc coating OPB, not interested in the maintenance of a bare steel bar for my first bar. Maybe in the future... Weather is also too crazy in ontario lol and I am sure bare steel would be a pain
    Funny because my plan is the bare steel. Not sure you're indoors or not but I'm in the garage and the maintenance on the gear hadn't been too bad. I have a zinc bar and it doesn't even compare.
    ▪[[────]]▪ York Barbell Club #65 ▪[[────]]▪
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #65 []---[]
    ▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #3 ▪[M]===[6]▪
    ─</>─<\>─ BWTG Cluster #65 ─</>─<\>─
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #65 ||---|| ▪█────█▪ Equipment Crew #74 ▪█────█▪

Sig line is not a novel.

Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    Funny because my plan is the bare steel. Not sure you're indoors or not but I'm in the garage and the maintenance on the gear hadn't been too bad. I have a zinc bar and it doesn't even compare.
    I have no experience with bare steel so I would love to hear what its been like for you in the past? I would be indoors as well, but as you probably know, it gets crazy humid here in the summer ...

I have heard great things about the feel of a bare steel bar and the price point helps too haha

dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000) dragon360 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I would heavily consider it. Will some mild maintenance once a week at worst (rogue has a video for the bare steel care I believe on the same page as the OPB) I think you'll be very happy with it.
    ▪[[────]]▪ York Barbell Club #65 ▪[[────]]▪
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #65 []---[]
    ▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #3 ▪[M]===[6]▪
    ─</>─<\>─ BWTG Cluster #65 ─</>─<\>─
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #65 ||---|| ▪█────█▪ Equipment Crew #74 ▪█────█▪

Sig line is not a novel.

Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    I would heavily consider it. Will some mild maintenance once a week at worst (rogue has a video for the bare steel care I believe on the same page as the OPB) I think you'll be very happy with it.
    Will look into it. I want to try and get my hands on both types to see the feel, but Im not exactly sure how I'll go about this ...

matchsprint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matchsprint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matchsprint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matchsprint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matchsprint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matchsprint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matchsprint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matchsprint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matchsprint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matchsprint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matchsprint is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Another point about bare steel is that WD-40 or machine oil aren't really the ideal rust preventatives. Get a bottle of camellia oil. This is literally what Japanese sword makers use to protect their swords, and is used on high-end Japanese tools and knives. It doesn't stain everything, it's better at resisting rust, and your hands aren't all greasy. And it works even when you have some chalk in the knurling. You can get a quart spray bottle on Amazon for about $16, and it'll last you a few years. It takes a very tiny amount to do the job.

Originally Posted by matchsprint View Post
    Another point about bare steel is that WD-40 or machine oil aren't really the ideal rust preventatives. Get a bottle of camellia oil. This is literally what Japanese sword makers use to protect their swords, and is used on high-end Japanese tools and knives. It doesn't stain everything, it's better at resisting rust, and your hands aren't all greasy. And it works even when you have some chalk in the knurling. You can get a quart spray bottle on Amazon for about $16, and it'll last you a few years. It takes a very tiny amount to do the job.
    Thanks for the info bro.
    I decided to get the zinc OPB (don't feel like waiting for 2 weeks to get it ship raw).
    Would that stuff work on olympic plates that have rust on them?
    Would that work

matchsprint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matchsprint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matchsprint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matchsprint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matchsprint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matchsprint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matchsprint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matchsprint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matchsprint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matchsprint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matchsprint is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It's a great anti-rust compound for anything, but won't remove existing rust. It'll just keep rust from developing on your fancy new black oxide or bare steel bar.

Originally Posted by matchsprint View Post
    It's a great anti-rust compound for anything, but won't remove existing rust. It'll just keep rust from developing on your fancy new black oxide or bare steel bar.
    Sweet! I think I'll be getting the bare steel then.
    California's weather is pretty nice and It'll be in the garage. Thanks bro.

Ramcharger310 is just really nice. (+1000) Ramcharger310 is just really nice. (+1000) Ramcharger310 is just really nice. (+1000) Ramcharger310 is just really nice. (+1000) Ramcharger310 is just really nice. (+1000) Ramcharger310 is just really nice. (+1000) Ramcharger310 is just really nice. (+1000) Ramcharger310 is just really nice. (+1000) Ramcharger310 is just really nice. (+1000) Ramcharger310 is just really nice. (+1000) Ramcharger310 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Sorry for the bump of an old thread, but would love to hear a one year follow up.
    "I love the smell of stall mats in the morning."

1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I can give you a ~6-month update -- still loving my bare steel OPB! Looks as good as it did when I got it. Been very happy with the knurling.

Planning to give it a cleaning and oil rubdown on New Year's day while watching football.
    []---[] Equipment Crew #73 []---[]
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #78 []---[]
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #20 ||---||

Hardgains88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hardgains88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hardgains88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hardgains88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hardgains88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hardgains88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hardgains88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hardgains88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hardgains88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hardgains88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hardgains88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Really love this thread, glad it has been bumped. Another bar isn't my very next purchase but it isn't too far off. I'm leaning to the rogue OPB, but just out of curiosity, those who have TPB's, are these the authentic Buddy Capps bars? Is there a difference between these and say the Troy or cap (may be mistaken on there being a Cap version)? Does everyone just get the original?

Ramcharger310 is just really nice. (+1000) Ramcharger310 is just really nice. (+1000) Ramcharger310 is just really nice. (+1000) Ramcharger310 is just really nice. (+1000) Ramcharger310 is just really nice. (+1000) Ramcharger310 is just really nice. (+1000) Ramcharger310 is just really nice. (+1000) Ramcharger310 is just really nice. (+1000) Ramcharger310 is just really nice. (+1000) Ramcharger310 is just really nice. (+1000) Ramcharger310 is just really nice. (+1000)
    No CAP version of the TPB.

I want to hear what the OP thinks of the 2013+ TPB vs OPB. I'm leaning towards the bare steel OPB myself.
    "I love the smell of stall mats in the morning."

jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hardgains, mine was a Capp TPB. If you're going this route, I'd go with the original. There have been some threads comparing them. They should be similar but most seem to indicate they are slightly different.

Ram, as an update, I sold my TPB and picked up a second OPB (this one is bare) a couple months ago. No regrets whatsoever. Still think they are both great bars, but the OPB gets the nod from me. I like the knurling better and prefer the feel of the 29mm shaft for squats and bench (I have a Texas Deadlift Bar for deads). Even when I did deadlift with the two, I preferred the OPB over the TPB due to the knurling. In fact, I'll likely swap my TDB if someone makes a comparable bar with more grippy less aggressive knurling.
    ▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #1 ▪[M]====[6]▪

My gym progress: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168508603

Hardgains88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hardgains88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hardgains88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hardgains88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hardgains88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hardgains88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hardgains88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hardgains88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hardgains88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hardgains88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hardgains88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by jtaliani View Post
    Hardgains, mine was a Capp TPB. If you're going this route, I'd go with the original. There have been some threads comparing them. They should be similar but most seem to indicate they are slightly different.

Ram, as an update, I sold my TPB and picked up a second OPB (this one is bare) a couple months ago. No regrets whatsoever. Still think they are both great bars, but the OPB gets the nod from me. I like the knurling better and prefer the feel of the 29mm shaft for squats and bench (I have a Texas Deadlift Bar for deads). Even when I did deadlift with the two, I preferred the OPB over the TPB due to the knurling. In fact, I'll likely swap my TDB if someone makes a comparable bar with more grippy less aggressive knurling.
    Thanks J, Repped. I don't think I will go that route anyway. I really want 29mm also, really like thicker bars and my Cap86 is fine for any work I would for some reason prefer 28.5 MM anyway. The Rouge OHPB really seems to be the power bar to beat at the price

KingCroat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KingCroat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KingCroat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KingCroat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KingCroat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KingCroat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KingCroat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KingCroat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KingCroat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KingCroat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey,

Planning on buying an OHP.

Does the black zinc finish get destroyed a lot by taking it off and on the j-hooks?
    I assume this is just a black zinc coating. Worried that the smooth finish will look terrible after a few uses, and in that case, I'd just go with the raw steel finish.

Can anyone let me know? Thanks.

Originally Posted by KingCroat View Post
    Hey,

Planning on buying an OHP.

Does the black zinc finish get destroyed a lot by taking it off and on the j-hooks?
    I assume this is just a black zinc coating. Worried that the smooth finish will look terrible after a few uses, and in that case, I'd just go with the raw steel finish.

Can anyone let me know? Thanks.
    The knurling on this bar is scraping off the powdercoat on my j-cups, but no sign of wear on the bar at all... that black zinc is tough... bought it last year around july-august I think and train 3-4x per week with it (for usage reference)
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #28 ||---||
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #91 []---[]

*Bestbelts Crew*
    *Home-gym but still have gym membership crew*

Best Gym Lifts as of:
    340lb Squat - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i928FTuAs8c -- Dec 2015
    220lb Bench - Vid coming Jan 2016
    355lb Deadlift - Vid coming -- Dec 2015

Current Program: Greg Nuckols "28 Free Programs" (2xsquat 2x deadlift 3x bench)

bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm very particular when it comes to bar feel... and REALLY wanted the Eleiko PL bar, but this video sold me on the OHP bar:

I was also going to go raw, but seeing as how the coated bar was used in the above video and competition, I really don't see the need for a raw bar. Here's the bar being used in the Pro Deadlift at 2016 Arnold Sports Festival

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2ZwS7MG6eU

So yeah... I'm ready to buy.... would have had it in my hands already if I could decide between 45lbs and 20kg.

I believe the additional expense in the 20kg bar is just due to the calibration. They advertise it as being within 0.1% of stated weight, obviously to be used in competition. The 45lb bar is "close enough" for most, just like most bars.

I don't have calibrated plates (yet), so hard to really justify the 20kg bar, but I figure if I get the 20kg bar + 5kg competition collars... then I'll just treat it as a 55lb bar. I'll have the accuracy if I really need it and won't have to fiddle around with math whether using it for kilo's or lbs.

Overthinking, yes... but this is the equipment forum, so I'm hoping you can relate
    USAPL RAW Competitor
    >500/>300/>600

▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #25 ▪[M]====[6]▪
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #100 []---[]

bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Oh, while I'm here posting stuff, here's a little more equipment porn for you guys.... raw is definitely sexy!

RAW Ohio Power Bar knurl closeup:

RAW vs Coated comparison:
    USAPL RAW Competitor
    >500/>300/>600

▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #25 ▪[M]====[6]▪
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #100 []---[]

c00nc4t is a jewel in the rough. (+500) c00nc4t is a jewel in the rough. (+500) c00nc4t is a jewel in the rough. (+500) c00nc4t is a jewel in the rough. (+500) c00nc4t is a jewel in the rough. (+500) c00nc4t is a jewel in the rough. (+500) c00nc4t is a jewel in the rough. (+500) c00nc4t is a jewel in the rough. (+500) c00nc4t is a jewel in the rough. (+500) c00nc4t is a jewel in the rough. (+500) c00nc4t is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    The knurling on this bar is scraping off the powdercoat on my j-cups, but no sign of wear on the bar at all... that black zinc is tough... bought it last year around july-august I think and train 3-4x per week with it (for usage reference)
    Funny, I bought a black zinc Rogue Chan bar around the same time last year and the finish is completely worn off pretty much everywhere I contact the bar; where my thighs contact on cleans, hand grip for cleans and presses, and the sleeves are completely worn from taking plates on and off. The bar has always been well cared-for and not abused. I've seen lots of other black zinc bars similarly worn, but some people seem to have no problems. I guess it comes down to different usage patterns and possibly differences in sweat chemistry.