mikemodjeski7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikemodjeski7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikemodjeski7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikemodjeski7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikemodjeski7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikemodjeski7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikemodjeski7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikemodjeski7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikemodjeski7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikemodjeski7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikemodjeski7 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Intro: 51 yrs - want some mass

Hi all, found this website & forum whilst searching info for working out past age 50.

Looks doable and I intend to. I joined in order to utilize the info and encouragement that is available here.

I have a couple of benches and an odd assortment of free weights, no gyms where I live.

Thinking of filling out the profile with weight and measurements, it's a little embarrassing but that's why I'm here. Hoping to look back at it all in a couple years and laugh.

Question: I downloaded a sample over 50 workout and don't quite understand the 'Tempo' recommendation, (pasted below)

Leg Press: 3 sets of 6-8 reps
    (tempo: set 1 - 2:0:2, set 2 -
    2:0:2, set 3 - 1:0:2)

What does this mean?

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by mikemodjeski7 View Post
    Hi all, found this website & forum whilst searchiung info for working out past age 50.

Looks doable and I intend to. I joined in order to utilize the info and encouragement that is available here.

I have a couple of benches and an odd assortment of free weights, no gyms where I live.

Thinking of filling out the profile with weight and measurements, it's a little embarrassing but that's why I'm here. Hoping to look back at it all in a couple years and laugh.

Question: I downloaded a sample over 50 workout and don't quite understand the 'Tempo' recommendation, (pasted below)

Leg Press: 3 sets of 6-8 reps
    (tempo: set 1 - 2:0:2, set 2 -
    2:0:2, set 3 - 1:0:2)

What does this mean?
    Don't waste your time with that tempo ratio crap. You want mass do these following exercises at least 2X a week (learn them first to use proper form) Squats, OHP, deadlift, BOR and Benc press. Make sure you eat at a surplus.
    On the list for Bannukah

ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bodyhard View Post
    Don't waste your time with that tempo ratio crap. You want mass do these following exercises at least 2X a week (learn them first to use proper form) Squats, OHP, deadlift, BOR and Benc press. Make sure you eat at a surplus.
    It really is this simple OP. ^^^^^^.

mikemodjeski7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikemodjeski7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikemodjeski7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikemodjeski7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikemodjeski7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikemodjeski7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikemodjeski7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikemodjeski7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikemodjeski7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikemodjeski7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikemodjeski7 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Well, that's encouraging. I plan to do a little more than twice a week, so hopefully progress is fast.

I was thinking like 6 months before anything noticeable.

does curls in power racks yaaar's Avatar
    yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    There are several 5x5 programs that are great for beginners, great for building mass, and great for gaining a truckload of strength.

A couple of those are Starting Strength (http://startingstrength.com/) and StrongLifts5x5 (http://stronglifts.com/5x5/). Lots of us workout at home.

Don't be embarrassed, I started not long ago at over 300lbs and in terrible shape. Check out the O35 journal section, lots of good stuff going on in there. If you want to start one yourself you can get some excellent advice, encouragement, and laughs along the way. Best of luck Mike!
    Don't listen to me, I'm in terrible shape.

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ S̶m̶2̶s̶m̶ Bm2bm crew (---S̶q̶u̶a̶t̶ Bench Moar to S̶q̶u̶a̶t̶ Bench Moar---)

greg13374 is on a distinguished road. (+10) greg13374 is on a distinguished road. (+10) greg13374 is on a distinguished road. (+10) greg13374 is on a distinguished road. (+10) greg13374 is on a distinguished road. (+10) greg13374 is on a distinguished road. (+10) greg13374 is on a distinguished road. (+10) greg13374 is on a distinguished road. (+10) greg13374 is on a distinguished road. (+10) greg13374 is on a distinguished road. (+10) greg13374 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I just finished the 5x5 stronglift, added 8 pounds of lean mass. and a lot of weight to the bar. It a great plan for a beginner you can start light and get your form right and my the end of the program you will have added alot of weight. Good luck with the gains!!!!

yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by greg13374 View Post
    I just finished the 5x5 stronglift, added 8 pounds of lean mass. and a lot of weight to the bar. It a great plan for a beginner you can start light and get your form right and my the end of the program you will have added alot of weight. Good luck with the gains!!!!
    10 weeks in here, about ready for a break in a couple weeks though :-)

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ S̶m̶2̶s̶m̶ Bm2bm crew (---S̶q̶u̶a̶t̶ Bench Moar to S̶q̶u̶a̶t̶ Bench Moar---)

Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I plan to do a little more than twice a week, so hopefully progress is fast.
    Be careful with that. Nothing wrong with more than twice a week, although that's my preference, but you can easily do too much with the thinking that progress will be faster by doing more. More is not better, it's just more. But using the right program, like the 5x5, that's been mentioned is a good way to do similar moves more than twice a week.

Good luck. It's never too late and you're never too old. Welcome to the 51 club
    "Franco is pretty smart, but Franco's a child, and when it comes to the day of the contest, I am his father. He comes to me for advices. So it's not that hard for me to give him the wrong advices." - Arnold Schwarzenegger - Pumping Iron

Encouraged!

I really like the sound of the 5x5, fits my goals, time restraints, and prior workout experience.

When I was young I did an 8x8 workout for about a year, no squats though. 190lbs with a 30 inch waist, benched 260. Got mono and nearly died, lost over 50 lbs. Never got back into lifting. I remember the feeling of well being and confidence then and have long wished to return to it.

I can really use some leg and chest stuff: my legs and chest are very pencil-like, with a 37 inch waist :/ I'm a mess, that's why I'm here.

Thanks for the responses and encouragement. Will stay posted, mebbe start a journal thread.

I really like the sound of the 5x5, fits my goals, time restraints, and prior workout experience.

When I was young I did an 8x8 workout for about a year, no squats though. 190lbs with a 30 inch waist, benched 260. Got mono and nearly died, lost over 50 lbs. Never got back into lifting. I remember the feeling of well being and confidence then and have long wished to return to it.

I can really use some leg and chest stuff: my legs and chest are very pencil-like, with a 37 inch waist :/ I'm a mess, that's why I'm here.

Thanks for the responses and encouragement. Will stay posted, mebbe start a journal thread.
    They won't be for very long.

If you're looking at StrongLifts5x5, definitely follow the program as it goes including starting at an empty bar. I'm personally going AMRAP (As Many Reps As Possible) on the last rep sometimes, but after that have been following it perfectly the entire time and am seeing great success. Only issue I'm having is that the bench doesn't increase fast enough for me, might be okay to add a little bit of weight there.

jimkimajcj is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimkimajcj is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimkimajcj is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimkimajcj is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimkimajcj is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimkimajcj is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimkimajcj is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimkimajcj is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimkimajcj is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimkimajcj is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimkimajcj is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm 51 also and had never lifted before. Got diagnosed with some fairly serious S##t and was told ten years is gone off the top and it was up to me how much more time I lose. I lost 30 pounds in the last year and started lifting with minimal equipment in my basement. I now get up at 4am 3 days a week and do a 1 hour circuit before work, at a 24 hour gym. Started bicycling also. I'm not showing any huge increases in muscle, but it's still worth it because I feel a heck of a lot better. As long as it helps at all, I have found it is worth it. Keep it up.

otiskii will become famous soon enough. (+50) otiskii will become famous soon enough. (+50) otiskii will become famous soon enough. (+50) otiskii will become famous soon enough. (+50) otiskii will become famous soon enough. (+50) otiskii will become famous soon enough. (+50) otiskii will become famous soon enough. (+50) otiskii will become famous soon enough. (+50) otiskii will become famous soon enough. (+50) otiskii will become famous soon enough. (+50) otiskii will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just so you know what it means, the tempo as I understand it is (2:0:2) two seconds up, hold for 0 and 2 seconds back down for pushing. Pulling would be the opposite.

A full body 5x5 is a great thing. Pick one that everyone here mentions in just about every post.
    Do I even lift?

WBNATL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WBNATL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WBNATL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WBNATL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WBNATL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WBNATL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WBNATL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WBNATL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WBNATL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WBNATL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WBNATL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It's never too late to start. You'll find many guys in this forum that are over 40 and still lifting just as intense as someone half their age. Don't get discouraged...just take your time to find a workout plan and diet that will work for you. I will say this....getting started late is going to take a lot of effort, discipline and dedication to have a great impact. You'll find everything you need on this site...just search using keys words.
    All the best!!

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Well, that's encouraging. I plan to do a little more than twice a week, so hopefully progress is fast.

I was thinking like 6 months before anything noticeable.
    Sorry for the confusion, I did not mean for you to workout only twice a week. I meant to do those specific exercises at least twice a week.
    On the list for Bannukah

Originally Posted by bodyhard View Post
    Sorry for the confusion, I did not mean for you to workout only twice a week. I meant to do those specific exercises at least twice a week.
    I understand. I'm going to start with the Stronglifts 5x5, 3 x week, it's a simple workout, and it sounds effective. If I can stick with it and get thru it then I might look at getting into some other stuff.

Got my stuff setup yesterday, going to start this evening.

kconnell is just really nice. (+1000) kconnell is just really nice. (+1000) kconnell is just really nice. (+1000) kconnell is just really nice. (+1000) kconnell is just really nice. (+1000) kconnell is just really nice. (+1000) kconnell is just really nice. (+1000) kconnell is just really nice. (+1000) kconnell is just really nice. (+1000) kconnell is just really nice. (+1000) kconnell is just really nice. (+1000)
    You've come to the largest resource site - probably one of the best. But there is an opinion at every door.

Yes, you can increase muscle after 50, but in reality, you won't be able to as fast as someone 16. I'm just a year older than you and I am still gaining, but have had over 35 years of training. Learn what you can by reading. Don't get caught up in the routine of the month club - although switching routines around is good. You are starting out, so you need some basics and need to concentrate on the contraction.

The tempo was explained well above, but one tempo is not the best always. just like one routine is not good forever. You will get stale. You need new stimulus. Low reps for strength, but occasionally - you don't want to strain or tear anything... Also, don't be afraid of very high reps (30-50). Listen to your body. Know the difference between a workout sore and tissue that is overworked and needs rest.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Available as a rep

Originally Posted by kconnell View Post
    You've come to the largest resource site - probably one of the best. But there is an opinion at every door.

...and need to concentrate on the contraction.

- you don't want to strain or tear anything... Also, don't be afraid of very high reps (30-50). Listen to your body. Know the difference between a workout sore and tissue that is overworked and needs rest.
    Thanks for the input. What is 'contraction'?

I'm hoping that the lifestyle I've lived helps me out here some. My work, and maintaining a small farm have kept me active to where my body hasn't totally atrophied. I see people from my class in school and reel in horror at what they've become, I never want to go there.

Lifted some for a couple years when I was young. Did an 8x8 routine with a lot more specific lifts, took a lot of time but it worked. I was in pretty good shape for a time there.

So I started this last night. It starts out very light, which is good because I've never done squats in my life. A couple little muscle areas that have given me trouble these last few years have reminded me of their presence. I'm hoping that I can work thru it, I think I need to do some serious stretching daily for one thing.

kconnell is just really nice. (+1000) kconnell is just really nice. (+1000) kconnell is just really nice. (+1000) kconnell is just really nice. (+1000) kconnell is just really nice. (+1000) kconnell is just really nice. (+1000) kconnell is just really nice. (+1000) kconnell is just really nice. (+1000) kconnell is just really nice. (+1000) kconnell is just really nice. (+1000) kconnell is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thanks for the input. What is 'contraction'?

I'm hoping that the lifestyle I've lived helps me out here some. My work, and maintaining a small farm have kept me active to where my body hasn't totally atrophied. I see people from my class in school and reel in horror at what they've become, I never want to go there.

Lifted some for a couple years when I was young. Did an 8x8 routine with a lot more specific lifts, took a lot of time but it worked. I was in pretty good shape for a time there.

So I started this last night. It starts out very light, which is good because I've never done squats in my life. A couple little muscle areas that have given me trouble these last few years have reminded me of their presence. I'm hoping that I can work thru it, I think I need to do some serious stretching daily for one thing.
    Easiest way to think of contraction is to make the muscle as small as possible. Think of the bicep. Extend your arm (lengthen the bicep). That is as long as it gets. Contract it (make it smaller, think of making a baseball out of it). Don't think of moving the weight; think of contracting the muscle.

8x8 is good, but if you can get 9 or 10, go for it. Progressive resistance means you should attempt/try to get better than you did last time. That's why keeping a record helps. These little increases help you get better/bigger/stronger.

Form is king on the squat. Watch videos on here and youtube. Go as low as you can. Start light to get the form correct.

A 1/2 squat or 1/4 squat is not a full squat. full squats do full development. Half-squats yield half development. -- Milos Sarcev
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Available as a rep