whackybeanz is on a distinguished road. (+10) whackybeanz is on a distinguished road. (+10) whackybeanz is on a distinguished road. (+10) whackybeanz is on a distinguished road. (+10) whackybeanz is on a distinguished road. (+10) whackybeanz is on a distinguished road. (+10) whackybeanz is on a distinguished road. (+10) whackybeanz is on a distinguished road. (+10) whackybeanz is on a distinguished road. (+10) whackybeanz is on a distinguished road. (+10) whackybeanz is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Purchasing a foam/Rumble roller -- which should I buy?

I've never used a foam roller before, but I'd like to get into rolling for its benefits. However, I'm stuck between purchasing a regular foam roller and a Rumble roller. Does anyone have recommendations on which I should purchase and why?

Side note: I'm intending to purchase a 3' roller. Don't have space to put anything in my bag left so I'll probably only be rolling when I'm at home. :/

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162240071

Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Try the search function, topic is beaten like a dead horse.
    ▪██─────██▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #3 ▪██─────██▪

○---○ [[[[-----]]]] York Barbell Crew #52 [[[[-----]]]] ○---○
    ( DD Crew, Globes, Kg's, + )

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #45 ▪█─────█▪

~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    id probably start out with a regular roller, then later move to a rumble roller.

ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by smokinHawk View Post
    id probably start out with a regular roller, then later move to a rumble roller.
    What he said.

Better to find out how much you actually will use one and see/feel the benefits before you buy a specialty, over-priced roller
    ++++++++

"The strong take from the weak but the smart take from the strong." - Pete Carril's father

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by whackybeanz View Post
    I've never used a foam roller before, but I'd like to get into rolling for its benefits. However, I'm stuck between purchasing a regular foam roller and a Rumble roller. Does anyone have recommendations on which I should purchase and why?

Side note: I'm intending to purchase a 3' roller. Don't have space to put anything in my bag left so I'll probably only be rolling when I'm at home. :/

How 'bout shoes and a belt to go with that roller? They should match your handbag.
    You need a good rack, a bench, and a 300-lb Olympic weight set. Now, what was your question?

My home gym: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1465291461&viewfull=1#post1465291461.

()---() York Barbell Club #1 (DD, RH, Kg) ()---() []---[] Equipment Crew #36 []---[] []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #51 []---[] [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #29 [M]===[6] ~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

Cartr1dgeBased has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cartr1dgeBased has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cartr1dgeBased has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cartr1dgeBased has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cartr1dgeBased has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cartr1dgeBased has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cartr1dgeBased has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cartr1dgeBased has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cartr1dgeBased has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cartr1dgeBased has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cartr1dgeBased has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

something with pvc in it or a barbell
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #42 []---[]
    375/215/405 12/03/14
    /fit/izen (Cart !RvaUG4a4RQ)
    #BullsNation #CowboysNation for life.
    わたしはにほんごをはなします。
    "You need a rack, bench and 300-lb. Oly set. Now, what was your question?" -AttyGuy

periodically updated workout log (with pics): http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=163565881
    diet: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/cartr1dge

Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Cartr1dgeBased View Post
    something with pvc in it or a barbell
    For someone who had never rolled before, not a really good suggestion. Those objects are too hard.
    ▪██─────██▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #3 ▪██─────██▪

○---○ [[[[-----]]]] York Barbell Crew #52 [[[[-----]]]] ○---○
    ( DD Crew, Globes, Kg's, + )

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #45 ▪█─────█▪

~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

whackybeanz is on a distinguished road. (+10) whackybeanz is on a distinguished road. (+10) whackybeanz is on a distinguished road. (+10) whackybeanz is on a distinguished road. (+10) whackybeanz is on a distinguished road. (+10) whackybeanz is on a distinguished road. (+10) whackybeanz is on a distinguished road. (+10) whackybeanz is on a distinguished road. (+10) whackybeanz is on a distinguished road. (+10) whackybeanz is on a distinguished road. (+10) whackybeanz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    @smokinHawk & ffrink: Thanks! I'll give it further thought on the type of roller to purchase/make (based on Cartr1ge's comment) then.

@Northern: I suppose I could search for foam that I could wrap if I were to DIY one.

keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I have the blue rumble roller and it is firm enough. If you get the black rumble roller, I suggest this to go along with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Wandafull-Feti...words=ball+gag
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #53 ▪█─────█▪
    ^^^^^^^ 6' 6" and Over Crew ^^^^^^^
    ------------- No Vax Crew ----------------

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You need to try these things out. Foam rolling was like a miracle solution for me, and I progressed to using a PVC pipe. Yet I despise Rumble Rollers.

Start out by buying a normal foam roller. See if you like it. Don't buy a cheap one. Try them out at the store first because they can vary in feel. You'll notice the difference between them. Figure out which one(s) are for you and what works for you. These days there are so many options to choose from. Start simple and go from there,

@kbw: Hopefully the pain from a regular roller wouldn't require me to get a gag.

@smokeater: I've been reading reviews from several threads here and Trigger Point seems to be one of those mentioned. I've never tried a foam roller before but it seems like TP is a good beginner's roller based on reviews.

I'll definitely not compromise on quality though! Don't have that much money to splurge on so I'll be careful with my choice. Thanks for the advice!

kdumph will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdumph will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdumph will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdumph will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdumph will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdumph will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdumph will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdumph will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdumph will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdumph will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdumph will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Use a regular foam roller as others have said, it will more then get the job done. Also might want to consider a ball, tennis, softball, lacrosse ball or the likes for some pinpoint work.
    Ambassador for ForceFitnessKits.com
    Lover of hard work, dedication and Gains!

keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #53 ▪█─────█▪
    ^^^^^^^ 6' 6" and Over Crew ^^^^^^^
    ------------- No Vax Crew ----------------

@kdumph: I'm currently searching for cheaper options, which seems to be the generic, no bump at all rollers, which are pretty affordable. I'll most likely get those.

@kbw: Thanks for the report! I've downloaded it and will be giving it a read through.
    Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162240071

sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Get the black, high density, 6" diameter, 36" long, foam roller to start. After you gain experience with that, and assuming you like to roll, then you can get others to add to your arsenal. My son likes to keep a tiger tail in his gym bag for basketball and catchers bag for baseball; he'll use it during time outs or between innings. There are lots of options

kdumph will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdumph will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdumph will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdumph will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdumph will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdumph will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdumph will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdumph will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdumph will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdumph will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdumph will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Doesn't get any cheaper then what sowilson and I have stated. Type foam roller into amazon...
    Ambassador for ForceFitnessKits.com
    Lover of hard work, dedication and Gains!

PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by kdumph View Post
    Use a regular foam roller as others have said, it will more then get the job done. Also might want to consider a ball, tennis, softball, lacrosse ball or the likes for some pinpoint work.
    Yeah, I found a baseball and a foam ball called "The Orb" to be really helpful.

Different people seem to have different thoughts on the Rumble Roller. Some like them, some find a smooth roller better. So I'd start with a smooth roller myself.

Cartr1dgeBased has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cartr1dgeBased has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cartr1dgeBased has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cartr1dgeBased has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cartr1dgeBased has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cartr1dgeBased has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cartr1dgeBased has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cartr1dgeBased has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cartr1dgeBased has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cartr1dgeBased has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cartr1dgeBased has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Northernmoris View Post
    For someone who had never rolled before, not a really good suggestion. Those objects are too hard.
    worked for me. but we're all different. i mean triggerpoint has pvc in it, i suggested pvc as it lasts longer but the foam bit is a still harder than a cheap typical foam roller but i can't imagine it being "too hard" for anyone.
    barbell is a given, but i do it differently than most. put feet on bench bar, arms hold onto pull up bar and underneath the pullup bar is another barbell in squat position and i just control my weight on the bar and jesus christ that feels good. (i know stupid probably not going to end well if i slip or some ****, but **** it. it feels great)

so i still stand by something with pvc in it, unless you want to go straight foam which works... for 2-3 months until it's play do.
    should note i have had my triggerpoint for a year now, use for back quads and prob w/e op is going to use it for and it's still in like new shape. it's been great.

gl moving forward
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #42 []---[]
    375/215/405 12/03/14
    /fit/izen (Cart !RvaUG4a4RQ)
    #BullsNation #CowboysNation for life.
    わたしはにほんごをはなします。
    "You need a rack, bench and 300-lb. Oly set. Now, what was your question?" -AttyGuy

periodically updated workout log (with pics): http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=163565881
    diet: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/cartr1dge

smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    @kdumph: I'm currently searching for cheaper options, which seems to be the generic, no bump at all rollers, which are pretty affordable. I'll most likely get those.

@kbw: Thanks for the report! I've downloaded it and will be giving it a read through.
    I bought the 18" Rouge foam roller, it is like $20 on their site, also they have a 36" foam roller for $27